• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Erico said:
Dang, crazy ending to the Taiwan-Canada baseball game

Bottom of 12th, Canada up at bat, down by a run, with 2 runners on base and 2 outs, and Taiwan makes a pitching change. After warming up, the new pitcher is winding up to throw when Canada's manager comes out and starts complaining to the ump about something. The ump then orders the pitcher to take off his necklace (which is completely hidden under a turtleneck). The ump is Australian and the pitcher doesn't understand..so they call out a translator. After a huge fuss, the pitcher starts taking off his necklace, but it's stuck, so they get some assistant to help him which takes a while.

After all is said and done, play resumes and the Taiwan pitcher strikes out the hitter on 3 pitches to end the game. Boo Canada.
Canada's fault for complaining about this most insignificant thing. Like a necklace is going to give Taiwan an advantage or something :lol

Also, the Chinese audience shouts "CHINA CHINA" at every games so I'm not surprised :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
jey_16 said:
why were there people shouting CHINA! CHINA! CHINA! during the USA vs Australia basketball game? i have heard it during other events where there is no Chinese involvement as well
They aren't saying "China! China!" at all. They're saying "jia you!" which means "adding fuel" but in a more literal sense it's kind of like saying "give it all you've got!"

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
also, to all non-USA basketball teams: When one of your players can jump and dunk over a 7 foot center in-game, you can be arrogant as arrogant as you like, too.

(We need VC back to try it again on Yao Ming. If he does it, the whole arena might burst into tears)

Meier

seattle6418 said:
www.terra.com.br

just go to terra tv.

it's not P2P, so its stable
err, where do I click? The Terra TV option down on the left side just brought up an Amy Winehouse news story... Ahh, the swimmer in the middle *crosses fingers*

I tried the CBC feed for the heck of it and naturally it didn't work. Someone hook me up!

jey_16

Banned
speedpop said:
They aren't saying "China! China!" at all. They're saying "jia you!" which means "adding fuel" but in a more literal sense it's kind of like saying "give it all you've got!"

thanks for the explanation....must get my hearing checked

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Netmapel said:
anada's fault for complaining about this most insignificant thing. Like a necklace is going to give Taiwan an advantage or something

It was a magic necklace! But yeah, probably afraid that the pitcher would try to scuff the ball, or something...which would have been impossible to do without anyone noticing, as it was completely tucked under his turtleneck. You could totally tell the pitcher was pretty insulted. Take that, Canadian manager :D

Nolan.

Threi said:
very.

I think i saw a nipple slip on the Jamaican runner :lol

And they keep replaying it in slow mo over and over again, please let it stop!. Anyway mens 200 final soon. Only way bolt will lose is if he falls over or jogs too early.

Donovan Bailey predicts 19.50 - 19.60 for Usain due to fatigue (he does say that he'll get the WR at some point). He predicted a sub 9.7 run for the 100m, and he's friends with Bolt, so he has decent credentials.

xabre

Banned
Erico said:
also, to all non-USA basketball teams: When one of your players can jump and dunk over a 7 foot center in-game, you can be arrogant as arrogant as you like, too.

If there is one thing I hate in sport it's arrogance. I don't give a fuck about your ability, be humble and treat your opponent with respect.

avaya

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Wow, Allison Felix is beautiful.

looking a bit rough these days. Should have seen her at Osaka 2007. <3.

Hope she wins the 200m but she's not running freely, got a bit of a hop going on there.

Nolan.

Napoleonthechimp said:
Australia bitching again? No surprise there. Sport is the only thing they're [supposedly] good at, and so if they're not winning then... Oh.

And letting dingos eat babies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Erico said:
Dang, crazy ending to the Taiwan-Canada baseball game

Bottom of 12th, Canada up at bat, down by a run, with 2 runners on base and 2 outs, and Taiwan makes a pitching change. After warming up, the new pitcher is winding up to throw when Canada's manager comes out and starts complaining to the ump about something. The ump then orders the pitcher to take off his necklace (which is completely hidden under a turtleneck). The ump is Australian and the pitcher doesn't understand..so they call out a translator. After a huge fuss, the pitcher starts taking off his necklace, but it's stuck, so they get some assistant to help him which takes a while.

After all is said and done, play resumes and the Taiwan pitcher strikes out the hitter on 3 pitches to end the game. Boo Canada.

I'm guessing Canada was trying to ice Taiwan. How did the manager even know the necklace was there? :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What if someone was like "I'm shooting for silver, but I might accidentally be too good and get gold." and people were like "What? why?" and they'd be like "It takes more skill to perform within exact limits. You'd have to be better than everyone but hold back just enough. Gold is too easy, it takes no finesse." then if they got it, everyone would be like "Woooaaaahhh!"

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
I just wanted to congratulate the three Irish boxing medallists, and wish them the best of luck in their semi-final bouts.

:D :D :D

Man its hard to wait till week 2, before your country gets on the medal table but 3 medals was more than I expected.

We also have a chance of a 'horsey' medal (Show Jumping) so here is one vote to keep equestrian in the Olympics.

Although in keeping with the tradition of sports deriving from battle skills/training we should dump the dressage in favour of the good old Joust.:lol

Nolan.

Dice said:
What if someone was like "I'm shooting for silver, but I might accidentally be too good and get gold." and people were like "What? why?" and they'd be like "It takes more skill to perform within exact limits. You'd have to be better than everyone but hold back just enough. Gold is too easy, it takes no finesse." then if they got it, everyone would be like "Woooaaaahhh!"

That american woman discus thrower probably thought that, and she ended up winning gold. No one expected that one.

What the heck! Bolt has Chinese fans now?, the chinese probably doesn't know he's from jamaica >_> .

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
SnowWolf said:
I'm guessing Canada was trying to ice Taiwan. How did the manager even know the necklace was there?

:lol Yeah, beats me. Ah..I'm going to miss Olympic baseball when it's gone.

jey_16

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
Australia bitching again? No surprise there. Sport is the only thing they're [supposedly] good at, and so if they're not winning then... Oh.

precious british bitter tears....doing well at one olympics doesnt make up for getting fucked in the arse by everybody else for 50 years, especially at the sports you invent :lol

giga

xabre said:
If there is one thing I hate in sport it's arrogance. I don't give a fuck about your ability, be humble and treat your opponent with respect.
SP0053Muhammad-Ali-Posters.jpg

Meier

Crap, horrible quality.. Bolt won huge -- was it 19.32 or 19.31? Johnson did 19.32 right? Walt got smoked! Oh well, there's always next time.

Wow, 19.30! Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom