• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilonen

Jeff-DSA said:
Dude, how ignorant are you? In real life, like outside of competition, there are reasons for different strokes depending on water conditions, physical tiredness, distance, and other factors. There's a reason why different strokes exist...they're not just to create more Olympic events.

Exactly, everyone knows Breaststroke is for Moms & Grandmas so they don't have to get their hair wet down at the local pool and Backstroke is for people who can't be arsed to swim properly.

Karakand

cilonen said:
Exactly, everyone knows Breaststroke is for Moms & Grandmas so they don't have to get their hair wet down at the local pool and Backstroke is for people who can't be arsed to swim properly.
:lol :lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
BOLT BOLT BOLT :lol Hopefully this will get people into thinking about joining other sport disciplines like running and jumping instead of NFL and NBA :D

gutshot

Dark FaZe said:
They've done this twice now and its pretty annoying.

Don't say "OH FUCK WOWWW BOLTLTTT" on your front page but not have video links and yet have vid links to some fucking canoe race. Then at the same time they take down the youtube vids...

Yeah, it's pretty fucking stupid. I mean, I understand wanting to show these events tape-delayed during prime time (although I don't understand why they can't show it live online and/or one of the 900 channels they have, as well as on NBC during prime time). But if you are going to make everyone inside the US have to wait 13 hours before they can see the event, at the very least don't tell us the results immediately afterwards. Sucks when you go to the site just to see who won the balance beam event final last night and get spoiled for tonight's events.

Pakkidis

How could anyone not know Bolt was going to dominate 200m.

I was able to watch the race on CBC while NBC was showing mens volleyball. The race went like this.

Starting gun----> Bolt with an amazing start---> Bolt in the lead---> Still in the lead---> beats world record--->does a new Bolt dance for the stadium.

What was sad was that one of the americans got the bronze and was doing his victory lap with Bolt when somebody told him he was DQed.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
mYm|17| said:
I made a fix to reflect the changes in the 200m final standings.

Applying a value system in which gold = 10 pts., silver = 5 pts., and bronze = 3 pts. Here's how I rank the top 10 countries up to 1:30am Thursday morning Beijing time.

Rank.Country....Gold....Silver....Bronze......Total Points
1......China........45........14.........20..............580
2......USA..........26........28.........28..............484
3......Russia.......13........14.........18..............254
4......G.Britain....16........10.........11..............243
5......Australia....11........12.........13..............209
6......Germany...11.........8...........9...............177
7......S.Korea......8.........10..........6...............148
8......France........4.........12.........14..............142
9......Japan.........8..........6...........9...............137
10....Italy...........6..........7...........7...............116

LuCkymoON

Banned
jobber said:
this

NBC wants women to watch the Olympics more than sports fans.

Even if somehow a feed shows up showing live coverage, NBC is quick to kill it because it wants to bombard you with 2 hours of each athlete's life story. Here's some news NBC, I don't give a fuck. I hope CBS gets the Olympics back and stay the fuck away from ABC/ESPN. It'll be like NBC all over again.
statistically women spend more money than men do. Thats why network TV ads are targeted toward women.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gutshot said:
Yeah, it's pretty fucking stupid. I mean, I understand wanting to show these events tape-delayed during prime time (although I don't understand why they can't show it live online and/or one of the 900 channels they have, as well as on NBC during prime time). But if you are going to make everyone inside the US have to wait 13 hours before they can see the event, at the very least don't tell us the results immediately afterwards. Sucks when you go to the site just to see who won the balance beam event final last night and get spoiled for tonight's events.

Doesn't make any sense to me. Day & night are completely different audiences for one and it's not like they're keeping the results a secret by not showing the race.

About the events killing thing, i love swimming, i wouldn't cut any event.

In fact the olympics are so great that i would include some.

How about 60m, 300m and 600m for T&F?

The first two actually exist in some meetings, and the later one is the one i think its most important. There's a huge difference between 400m and 800m runners... because of this 600 would be interesting to see what kind of runner would do best.

Meier

They wouldn't lose a single primetime view by showing it live (even if it was just on TV)... the whole decision is just bizarre.

Laguna X said:
Anybody know why Martina Churandy was DQ'd in the 200m final?
Stepped over the line apparently which resulted in Wallace Spearmon doing the same. They both ended up getting DQ'd as a result of it (score!).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Meier said:
They wouldn't lose a single primetime view by showing it live (even if it was just on TV)... the whole decision is just bizarre.

Funny b/c they pimped the hell out of their new TripleCast across all their networks and online and beyond even not showing events I just find the synergy to be awful. For example it seems like you really have to hunt down big basketball games b/c they're never mentioned and the nbcolympics site is very cumbersome. It's like each outlet is just doing its own things. NBC prime time is its own mini olympics consisting mostly of beach volleyball and diving.

Meier

Btw, these were Walt's very first events as a professional due to his staying in school to complete his degree. Congrats Walt, you're a real inspiration to a lot of people and it's a shame that NBC did not give him more publicity given the circumstances.

Blader

tino said:
Bolt > Phelp

I don't want to explain it because I'm not going to change my mind.

But if you want to know it's because 100m is the single most important competition in term of human pushing to the physical limit. I don't care if you can jump 5 meters with a pole or get 10.0 from all 10 judges in water synchronize dancing, I don't care. They don't mean anything to me except being part of the penis contest amount nations.

Absofuckinglutely not. The marathon or triathlon would be the most important in terms of pushing the human body to its limits.

You are clueless. And that's without even touching on your ridiculous Bolts/Phelps comparison.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Meier said:
Btw, these were Walt's very first events as a professional due to his staying in school to complete his degree. Congrats Walt, you're a real inspiration to a lot of people and it's a shame that NBC did not give him more publicity given the circumstances.
Yeah. I've been rooting for Walt as well. Seems like none of the experts were giving him his due, but he's been proving them wrong. Go Walt! :D

Meier

Laguna X said:
Yeah. I've been rooting for Walt as well. Seems like none of the experts were giving him his due, but he's been proving them wrong. Go Walt! :D
*high five*

I still think we have a shot at the 4x100 -- it'll be tough to be Powell and Bolt, but top to bottom we're going to field a better team. Either way, Walter should leave with 3 medals -- the most of any track athlete for the US. Great story. :)

Banjobanner3.jpg

I was excited to hear Usain Bolt was going to be in the game.

MIMIC

Banned
The Jamaican wunderkind hurtled to his second world record and his second Olympic gold medal, finishing the 200-meter race in 19.30 seconds to break Michael Johnson's 12-year-old mark. In doing so he became the first man ever to break the world record in both the 100 and 200 at the same Olympics and the first since Carl Lewis in 1984 to win the sprint double.

That he did it was one thing -- how he did it was even more memorable: He crossed the line about four body lengths ahead of anyone else.

f_chrisidolm_3a6149d.jpg

That gave American Shawn Crawford the silver -- "It feels like a charity case," he said -- and teammate Walter Dix bronze. (Official results)

The final stat sheet showed Bolt an incredible 0.66 seconds ahead of Crawford.

Officially, it will go down as the largest margin of victory in an Olympic 200.

f_chrisidolm_3a6149d.jpg

linsivvi

With all the talk about adding new sports to the Olympics, these are the sports officially being considered for 2016 (yeah apparently it's too late for London):

Baseball
Softball
Golf
Rugby
Squash
Karate
Roller sport (huh?)

My vote for golf, rugby and squash.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
linsivvi said:
With all the talk about adding new sports to the Olympics, these are the sports officially being considered for 2016 (yeah apparently it's too late for London):

Baseball
Softball
Golf
Rugby
Squash
Karate
Roller sport (huh?)

My vote for golf, rugby and squash.
I see no Bocce in that list. *fumes*

Nolan.

“I never had breakfast,” he said. “I woke up at 11 o'clock, sat around and watched TV, then had some chicken nuggets, slept for two hours, then went back and got some more nuggets.” He completed 9.69sec of magic with a shoelace undone

So he doesn't even eat like an Athlete... hmmm maybe I can run 100m under 10 seconds :O .

mclem

X26 said:
If there's one event they need to get rid of, it's BMX. It's this olympic's ballroom dancing
Actually, I was just thinking, what with the recent popularity of Strictly Come Dancing (Dancing with the Stars in the US and it's ended up exported to quite a few other countries), I wonder if there's actually any consideration being given to that...

pollo

Banned
saying that Bolt juiced is dumb. THE DUDE IS 6 FOOT 5 WITH LONG ASS LEGS

I can see why you could think someone else with a stockier build juices, but for someone like Bolt the arguement is moot.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
X26 said:
If there's one event they need to get rid of, it's BMX. It's this olympic's ballroom dancing

I was actually surprised by how bad it played on TV. Felt like I was watching After-Hours Ocho.

Meier

pollo said:
saying that Bolt juiced is dumb. THE DUDE IS 6 FOOT 5 WITH LONG ASS LEGS

I can see why you could think someone else with a stockier build juices, but for someone like Bolt the arguement is moot.
I don't necessarily think that he is (I'd say he probably isn't), but prior to Bolt, it was considered unheard of for a runner of his height to compete in the 100m so this argument doesn't work in his favor per se.

GhaleonEB

Dark FaZe said:
I know its been asked but I want the testing results for Bolt...I call bullshit...
I was just catching up on some of the headlines - don't really follow the Olympics - and this article jumped out at me.

Usain Bolt of Jamaica etched his name into history Wednesday as one of the Olympic greats, indeed one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Assuming he's clean.

And while no evidence of any sort has surfaced to suggest he's not, it's naïve not to wonder how Bolt is able to run so fast. Because no one in the history of human beings, from the first primitive soul desperately trying to outrun a saber-toothed tiger to the sophisticated races of our times, has ever run as fast as Usain Bolt has run at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandfield/news/newsid=240543.html#bolt+blazes+into+history

I find it kind of disgusting that people are questioning him when there's no evidence at all to indicate he did anything wrong.

MIMIC

Banned
pollo said:
oh yea:

Bolt > Phelps

Doesn't even come close. :D

I agree. I think what Bolt has done is far more impressive than Phelps Mania. Phelps was aided by a juiced pool and a juiced suit to achieve his world records and won one of his races by a razor thin margin of 0.01 seconds. Bolt is running outside in normal, everyday conditions wearing baggy track clothes; standard track shoes (with one shoelace untied, BTW :lol); celebrated before even reaching the finish line and still managed to cruch the competition.

Maybe if the 100m dash had hopping, skipping, crawling, etc. as variables to his races then he would have a shot at 8 gold medals.

Meier

GhaleonEB said:
I find it kind of disgusting that people are questioning him when there's no evidence at all to indicate he did anything wrong.
There wasn't evidence to indicate Marion Jones was doping... or Justin Gatlin... or Ben Johnson... etc. These people pass all the tests typically. It's natural for there to be suspicions given the history of the event and its competitors. Shit, look at Lance Armstrong.

pollo

Banned
Meier said:
There wasn't evidence to indicate Marion Jones was doping... or Justin Gatlin... or Ben Johnson... etc. These people pass all the tests typically. It's natural for there to be suspicions given the history of the event and its competitors. Shit, look at Lance Armstrong.

you're right. Lets get Phelps tested too. I'm a little skeptical with those 8 medals.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think the best way to tackle it if you're a top athlete is to do what Dara Torres did and give blood samples to be used now and for whenever tests are devised in the future. Without knowing much more about here, I have a hard time doubting her after she did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom