• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck

and if they're going to have these other swimming techniques like backstroke, breastroke, or butterfly, then simulate the water conditions in which those techniques are actually useful. otherwise, they're pointless.

or they should include skipping,hopping, and walking in the track and field events so Bolt can dominate those too.

Monroeski said:
That entire article is about how he's an exception. Michael Johnson was an exception way back when because of his upright running style, too, but you don't see a bunch of guys these days running upright like he did. What I do remember is speculation that he was juicing because the physics told us he couldn't run that fast with that form, ie the same thing people are saying about Bolt now.
I think this is different though, and disagree with the conclusion of the article, although I'm obviously not as qualified on the subject as the person who wrote it.

Bolt doesn't just have a different style, he has a different physique which isn't naturally suited to sprinting. The fact that he's been able to translate that into speed suggests one of three things:
a) He's on drugs
b) He has the rare natural talent to make it work
c) They found a training program that works, and can get them started at an early enough age.

Well, as he didn't beat any British sprinters to a medal, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt on a). And it's entirely possible that the heavens and stars aligned perfectly when Bolt was born giving rise to option b), in which case the article was perfectly correct. But what if the Jamaicans have found that magic spell? If so, it's perfectly repeatable, and can have obviously good effects as a new generation of sprinters start edging closer to 9.5 seconds and basking in the resulting publicity and endless paydays.

And don't forget that the biggest argument the article had against an army of 7 foot mutants in the 2012 100m final was that the tall people would hunt out easier ways to make a living. But don't discount the idea of national pride. If the US or Chinese teams thought they had a quick 6 foot 5 sprinter in their midst, they would drag them out of their comfy sport in a second and throw as much money at them as physically possible just for Olympic gold glory.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
woodchuck said:
when was the last time the same guy set a WR in the 100m and 200m in the same olympics? i'd love to know the answer

never.

Bolt also broke one of the best WRs ever set in athletics. Johnson himself never got close to his 19.32 time, which until now was the only time in history below 19.6, and other athletes said they expect that record to stand for 50 years...

...but Bolt just broke it running into a head-wind. It was unbelievable. The guy could set 9.59 over the 100m and 19.19 over the 200m. He's only 21 (Johnson was 29 when he ran 19.32) and I'm sure he's got the ability and time to improve both those times to the point where they will stand for 50 years.

He's running in the 2 most competitive Olympic events in history and rewriting the records and expectations. There has never been a more impressive Olympic feat - only magnified by his character and the manner of both victories.

Let's also not forget that Asafa Powell, a sprinter with a "traditional" physique, who comes from the same village in Kingston, Jamaica, has also run the fastest collection of times in history. He could have gone sub 9.7 when he set his 9.74 WR and slowed at the end. It's not like either athlete has come from nowhere...they were setting insane times as children. Bolt ran 20.6 at 15!

---------------

Swimming is completely different...particularly because they swim the same distances in 4 different ways, both as individuals and in relays.

Nolan.

Thats the unfortunate thing about the world sometimes. People are so used to a particular formula that anything that defies that and goes outside has to be artificial somehow. I would like to know how Bolt is able to though but the mystery intrigues me just as much, I like stuff like that. F U science and physics!. I love science and physics really... but I love mystery too.

Karakand

linsivvi said:
counterspell.jpg
2nsujbs.jpg

BTW, Phelps should be RWWU.

avaya

Branduil said:
Why would I be bitter? :lol You're the one making a fool of yourself with your desperate attempts at discrediting an entire sport just because you don't like what happened with it.

We just had an argument in the lull over which sports should be cut.

I am more than impressed with Phelps so I think you might want to brush upon your reading comprehension there sunshine.

MrSardonic

AstroLad said:
What exactly do you mean by "most competitive?"

All the top young athletes go for the 100m and 200m before anything else. If you are a phenomenal short-distance athlete, or you have any ability to run at all, then you try your hand at 100m/200m. They are the most popular events among the public and carry the highest prestige.

They are also the events most open to participation. Anyone, anywhere, can run those distances. Bolt did so on a run-down grass track in Kingston when he was a child. When was the last time that you saw a 50m Olympic pool in a poor area? Ireland doesn't even have a 50m pool. The UK has fewer 50m pools than the city of Melbourne. Swimming has inherent barriers to entry, particularly with regards to socio-economic circumstances. Sprinting, much less so.

I really enjoyed watching the swimming and thought Phelps was doing amazing things. But Bolt's 100m alone just below it all away. There's never been anything like it. His 100m/200m WR double is the most impressive Olympic achievement I have ever seen.

woodchuck said:
and if they're going to have these other swimming techniques like backstroke, breastroke, or butterfly, then simulate the water conditions in which those techniques are actually useful. otherwise, they're pointless.

or they should include skipping,hopping, and walking in the track and field events so Bolt can dominate those too.
they need to add lifeguardstroke, where you hold an offially sanctioned dummy and swim with one hand lifeguard style.

avaya

MrSardonic said:
I really enjoyed watching the swimming and thought Phelps was doing amazing things. But Bolt's 100m alone just below it all away. There's never been anything like it. His 100m/200m WR double is the most impressive Olympic achievement I have ever seen.

Branduil

Why do we need to downplay Phelps to praise Bolt? This is even stupider than the medal count posturing. They aren't in competition with one another. Both have achieved feats so utterly improbably that they will be remembered forever.

Karakand

Branduil said:
Why do we need to downplay Phelps to praise Bolt? This is even stupider than the medal count posturing. They aren't in competition with one another. Both have achieved feats so utterly improbably that they will be remembered forever.
My sentiments exactly.

giga

Branduil said:
thisisneogafdude.gif?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Branduil said:

applause14497.gif

Sadly such logic holds no ground here at the GAF.
:p

avaya

Branduil said:

No one is downplaying Phelps.

People are debating what they think was the most impressive feat so far in this Olympics. For me it is Bolt by a mile.

Branduil

What we need is for someone to make a buddy pic about Bolt and Phelps going on crazy worldwide adventures. It will be like Cool Runnings meets Chariots of Fire meets The Odd Couple.

giga

avaya said:

People are debating what they think was the most impressive feat so far in this Olympics. For me it is Bolt by a mile.
For me it is equestrian dressage by a mile.

OPINIONS

avaya

Branduil said:
What we need is for someone to make a buddy pic about Bolt and Phelps going on crazy worldwide adventures. It will be like Cool Runnings meets Chariots of Fire meets The Odd Couple.

They'll both be at the closing ceremony, or will Phelps be in London for the handover?

I hope they are both at the closing ceremony. Everyone wants a picture of them together.

Branduil

avaya said:

Bolt isn't in the mile.

Frankly I think it's ridiculous for any of us to try and judge which is more impressive as if any of us nerds come even close to having the knowledge and experience necessary to judge such a thing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'm always a sucker for people who have to commit to their craft starting at the age of 2 and work at it every waking moment, so gymnastics probably takes the cake. it's almost demented/criminal that level of commitment so young but you have to appreciate the results.

avaya

Branduil said:
Bolt isn't in the mile.

Frankly I think it's ridiculous for any of us to try and judge which is more impressive as if any of us nerds come even close to having the knowledge and experience necessary to judge such a thing.

I agree that's why my opinion exactly matches that of Michael Johnson, Jonathan Edwards, Colin Jackson, Kelly Holmes and probably the rest of the 8 runners up in both the 100m and 200m finals. Their faces tell a story.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
avaya said:
I agree that's why my opinion exactly matches that of Michael Johnson, Jonathan Edwards, Colin Jackson, Kelly Holmes and probably the rest of the 8 runners up in both the 100m and 200m finals. Their faces tell a story.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for a good Michael Johnson reaction video to the 200m.

Chris R

They need to bring tug of war back.

Your team of 10 consists only of olympians from other sports, limited to two from each "field"

MrSardonic

SnowWolf said:
Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for a good Michael Johnson reaction video to the 200m.

I'm sure it will surface although the BBC don't have it posted on their site yet and haven't been showing footage of it since the actual race itself.

He wasn't shouting "oh my god!" this time...looked more like he half expected it (perhaps he sensed it after Bolt's incredible start) and he was happy but also seemed a bit disappointed to see his awesome time beaten. Perhaps he was hoping that Bolt would need a bit more work and another year before beating it.

It's been brilliant to have Johnson on the BBC. The guy was an unbelievable athlete, a great guy, and his insights during the athletics have been fantastic - real privilege to have him commentating on Bolt's races.

Been the best track and field Olympics I've seen to date. Enjoyed it far more than I expected.

The Faceless Master said:
everyone else looking straight ahead, Asafa looking at bolt

Such a tragic figure. Asafa needs to see a head-doctor to get over his insecurities. I hope he will be back and will show us he can still run close to sub 9.7 because he is a phenomenal sprinter. It was terrible to see him so down after the race and claim that he "wasn't ready for the big time"...how can someone with his talent and his times even think that?

avaya

Bolt was looking for Powell at 55m-70m, two or three times and he surprised he wasn't there.

MrSardonic said:
Such a tragic figure. Asafa needs to see a head-doctor to get over his insecurities. I hope he will be back and will show us he can still run close to sub 9.7 because he is a phenomenal sprinter. It was terrible to see him so down after the race and claim that he "wasn't ready for the big time"...how can someone with his talent and his times even think that?

I think Bolt doing what he's done will mean Powell will not be put up as a potential winner in any major race, this could work to his advantage.

Meier

MrSardonic said:
Johnson himself never got close to his 19.32 time, which until now was the only time in history below 19.6, and other athletes said they expect that record to stand for 50 years...

Not to downplay this... but Bolt hasn't either. I don't expect his career will mirror Johnson's in that he only manages a time like this once, but his PR before this was 19.67 so I'm not sure this is a talking point just yet.

avaya

Meier said:
Not to downplay this... but Bolt hasn't either. I don't expect his career will mirror Johnson's in that he only manages a time like this once, but his PR before this was 19.67 so I'm not sure this is a talking point just yet.

Johnson never got close to 19.32 again because after he broke it his goal was the 400m record. He said so himself.

Bolt is 21, well 22 today. He will smash 19.30.

avaya

Gary Whitta said:
It's worth mentioning that Bolt's 200m time of 19.3s is actually FASTER, meter-per-meter, than his 100m time. That's insane.

Ran the bend and first 100m in ~10 flat according to Johnson's guess. That means the next 100m were in 9.3s and he was visually losing speed due to tiredness at 20-30metres to go.

Jamaican Usain Bolt, who competes in the 200-meter Olympic final Wednesday night, has been drug-tested at least 11 times in 2008, according to Nick Davies, a spokesman for the world track and field federation (IAAF).
Bolt was tested four times out-of-competition by the IAAF and three times in-competition, Davies said. He also has been tested four times by the International Olympic Committee--including three blood tests--since he arrived to China, Davies said.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/olympics/2008/08/iaaf_bolt_tested_at_least_11_t.html

Branduil said:
The media has put them in competition with one another, albeit indirectly. Look at how NBC is sucking the Phelps phenomenon for everything its worth: "Greatest Olympian of All Time! Buy Our DVD!"

mclem

The Faceless Master said:
they need to add lifeguardstroke, where you hold an offially sanctioned dummy and swim with one hand lifeguard style.
Back at school for one of the swimming certificates you had to do some swimming in your pyjamas. There's gotta be an event in that somewhere.

Branduil

OpinionatedCyborg said:
The media has put them in competition with one another, albeit indirectly. Look at how NBC is sucking the Phelps phenomenon for everything its worth: "Greatest Olympian of All Time! Buy Our DVD!"
What does that have to do with Bolt?

lol @ NBC news tonight asking "who is the world's fast woman.....it might be <can't remember the American's name> running in the 200, 400 and relay"

Not again.....the 100M determines who is fastest and the Jamaican women swept that, STFU NBC, I thought Donovan Bailey forced you to insert foot in mouth back in 1997

Timbuktu

BigJonsson said:
lol @ NBC news tonight asking "who is the world's fast woman.....it might be <can't remember the American's name> running in the 200, 400 and relay"

Didn't GB get the woman 400 metres with Ohuruogu?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BigJonsson said:

Not again.....the 100M determines who is fastest and the Jamaican women swept that, STFU NBC, I thought Donovan Bailey forced you to insert foot in mouth back in 1997

fastest man on earth?

easy answer when you just consider the fact that the earth is like 90% water

Branduil said:
I see nothing obvious about it.
It's simple to understand. Phelps has been lavished with praise and built up as the greatest Olympian of all time. Until Bolt, he was the story of the games. Now that Bolt's done something that has never been done before, and in incredible fashion, people are comparing the two accomplishments.

Branduil

OpinionatedCyborg said:
It's simple to understand. Phelps has been lavished with praise and built up as the greatest Olympian of all time. Until Bolt, he was the story of the games. Now that Bolt's done something that has never been done before, and in incredible fashion, people are comparing the two accomplishments.
They're calling him the greatest Olympian because he's won more gold medals than anyone else.

AstroLad said:
fastest man on earth?

easy answer when you just consider the fact that the earth is like 90% water
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom