• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

pollo said:
you're right. Lets get Phelps tested too. I'm a little skeptical with those 8 medals.
I was simply responding to his comment that it was disgusting he was being questioned. It's not exactly surprising given the history of the sport.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
pollo said:
saying that Bolt juiced is dumb. THE DUDE IS 6 FOOT 5 WITH LONG ASS LEGS

I can see why you could think someone else with a stockier build juices, but for someone like Bolt the arguement is moot.
I'm not accusing him of anything, but wtf does height have to do with juicing? If anything, since his height is so out of place amongst sprinters, that would only be MORE evidence that he juices (since he's bucking the general body type).

J2 Cool

MIMIC said:
I agree. I think what Bolt has done is far more impressive than Phelps Mania. Phelps was aided by a juiced pool and a juiced suit to achieve his world records and won one of his races by a razor thin margin of 0.01 seconds. Bolt is running outside in normal, everyday conditions wearing baggy track clothes; standard track shoes (with one shoelace untied, BTW :lol); celebrated before even reaching the finish line and still managed to cruch the competition.

Maybe if the 100m dash had hopping, skipping, crawling, etc. as variables to his races then he would have a shot at 8 gold medals.

Did you not see how much Bolt saved for those final runs? Phelps was going for a gold over and over. Against tons of swimmers specializing in certain events, hoping to take a gold home themself. It's not like Phelps could rest, mess around, and save it all for 2 races he specializes in himself. Dominate them both and call himself the best. He did dominate in quite a few of those races, but it was a gauntlet as much as anything. Fatigue was a huge factor.

If you can't be impressed by handling that, and grabbing 7 world records in the process there's something wrong with you. Not to mention, that swimming's margins of victories are a lot slimmer. That's why they count hundreths of a second, instead of round it to tenths. We seen two races alone that ended in less than a tenth of a second margin. Being in water just tightens everything up.

Usain Bolt is incredibly impressive as well, and I've LOVED watching him. They're the two stories of Olympics. There's no blowing either of these men out of the water though. They're both world class athletes, doing things never before done in their sports. And both are going about it in their own way.

Karakand

linsivvi said:
With all the talk about adding new sports to the Olympics, these are the sports officially being considered for 2016 (yeah apparently it's too late for London):

Baseball
Softball
Golf
Rugby
Squash
Karate
Roller sport (huh?)

My vote for golf, rugby and squash.
Get some pankration in there and we're set.

avaya

cilonen said:
Exactly, everyone knows Breaststroke is for Moms & Grandmas so they don't have to get their hair wet down at the local pool and Backstroke is for people who can't be arsed to swim properly.

:lol

mclem said:
Ah, but by your own argument, you should do. They're all 'just' throwing things, after all.

Personally, I like the idea of expanding the athletics events. Backwards running! Sack race! Three legged race! I can't speak for elsewhere in the world, but British kids have been in training for those from a very young age...

Ceres said:
Wait.... So how far you can throw a heavy object like a shot put or a lighter aerodynamic object like a javelin matter more versus how fast you can go swimming freestyle vs backstroke? Why exactly? They're both nothing more than about how far you can throw.

Stop creating strawmen arguments. There are different methods of throwing different objects. They REQUIRE different methods to achieve maximum efficiency. The whole point is efficiency. Swimming fly/breast/back is CHOOSING to cripple yourself. Swimming is a race and in a time trial it is ridiculous to have separate multiple events for redundant strokes. It is overrepresented.
------------------

This is boring.

Now Bolt. Jesus fucking Christ. I think his 9.69 at a canter was the standout performance of the games. Now 19.30s into a headwind and without sufficient endurance training.

NBC dropped the doping line because they know Bolt has relegated Phelps to the second headline. Everyone knows this to be true. Bolt is the word on everyone’s lips.

Bolt is the star. HE BROKE BOTH SPRINTING WORLD RECORDS IN ASTONISHING FASHION. That cannot be stressed enough. The second of which, Johnson's record, was so highly regarded by the elite of the sport that they never thought it would be beaten in a several generations.

Bolt beat it in a headwind.

Jaw-dropping performances. One of those "where were you when..." performances.

Michael Johnson was AMAZED. Michael fucking Johnson. The man. The legend.

"I can not believe he shut down on people in an Olympic final. In an Olympic final"

Bolt has the personality. People can relate to running. It is the simplest sport. Most people are somewhat aware of the times in these events. ~9.7s and ~19.3s are household world record times. People with a passing interest are aware of the ballpark figures.

His performances are the most impressive of the games. He demolished both sprinting fields. He is re-writing the sprinting textbook. It is seriously impressive.

Taking nothing away from Phelps but Spitz already got 7 and the only Olympian able to match >6medals in a games is going to be a swimmer.

Media wise Bolt wins, flawlessly after that second WR.

I’m just happy to have been witness to Bolt and Phelps’ performances. Stop comparing apples to organges. It's personal preference.

Now come on Allyson Felix in the 200m tomorrow.

Shadow780

linsivvi said:
20 years from now doping will be a thing of the past. It'll be all about genetically enhanced athletes.

wut....

athrunlsdjkf.jpg

Nolan.

linsivvi said:
With all the talk about adding new sports to the Olympics, these are the sports officially being considered for 2016 (yeah apparently it's too late for London):

Baseball
Softball
Golf
Rugby
Squash
Karate
Roller sport (huh?)

I think Rugby definately and maybe karate (only because there's already judo and taekwondo so it seems odd to leave it out). If they got rid of the other two then leave karate out, also if they have tennis and badminton might aswell have squash.

Shadow780

Nolan. said:
I think Rugby definately and maybe karate (only because there's already judo and taekwondo so it seems odd to leave it out). If they got rid of the other two then leave karate out, also if they have tennis and badminton might aswell have squash.

I want billiards so I can fap in her presence:

JenBarrettaPool1.jpg

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I've always thought that 2 vs. 2 basketball would be a good idea for an Olympic Sport.

It'd be like what beach volleyball is compared to team indoor volleyball. There's a lot of other sports in the Olympics that have both a team version and an individual/2 person version. It could be set up tournament style with 32 teams, single elimination..with a max of 2 teams per country.

I dunno, I think it'd be pretty awesome to watch.

Edit: oh yeah, and it'd be played half court.

I hate it that the smaller sports don't get any airtime on TV except when there is a Dutch person participating. At least I'm glad we get to see BMX racing.

Running is quite boring btw. Never really saw the appeal. It's nice to see someone win. But it's just running.

avaya

linsivvi said:

Baseball
Softball
Golf
Rugby
Squash
Karate
Roller sport (huh?)

All of them should be there. Even though I think egg-chasing is fucking shit.

Ceres

Banned
avaya said:
:lol

Stop creating strawmen arguments. There are different methods of throwing different objects. They REQUIRE different methods to achieve maximum efficiency. The whole point is efficiency. Swimming fly/breast/back is CHOOSING to cripple yourself. Swimming is a race and in a time trial it is ridiculous to have separate multiple events for redundant strokes. It is overrepresented.

Then why are there hurdles? Why cripple runners to get slower speeds by forcing them to jump over things?

Monroeski said:
I'm not accusing him of anything, but wtf does height have to do with juicing? If anything, since his height is so out of place amongst sprinters, that would only be MORE evidence that he juices (since he's bucking the general body type).
Long legs = long strides. Unfortunately, long legs also makes it harder to be coordinated and get those legs moving quickly. It's possible that the Jamaicans have found a training regime that overcomes this hurdle. If so, I suspect we might start seeing a few more taller sprinters over the next couple of years.

linsivvi said:
20 years from now doping will be a thing of the past. It'll be all about genetically enhanced athletes.
With both Phelps and Bolt having physiques that work to their advantage and are both still quite young, how do you know we're not seeing it already? ;-)

linsivvi

SnowWolf said:
Speaking of new sports to add, I've said this before and I'll say it again: Time Crisis.

Boom, there it is. Thank you, thank you.

Fixed.

I'll settle for House of the Dead though.

chickensoup said:
With both Phelps and Bolt having physiques that work to their advantage and are both still quite young, how do you know we're not seeing it already? ;-)

They are just aliens.

Nolan.

The Faceless Master said:
how about an elevated figure 8 track so they can swim real laps!?

Better yet why don't we build the worlds deepest pool and make them swim to the bottom then back to the top again. Who does it the fastest wins. It's entertaining because they might die and it's ...different.

Shadow780 said:
How bout dis:

b014%20Mudwrestling-Stuck.jpg

If you have that you might aswell have wet T-shirt and wet pants contest...

avaya

Ceres said:
Then why are there hurdles? Why cripple runners to get slower speeds by forcing them to jump over things?

Are you wilfully missing the entire point? In swimming there are no obstacles. Not even any waves when you start. When you choose a different stroke you intentionally cripple yourself against whoever is doing freestyle. Why is this rewarded and treated as a separate event? One time would be enough but no, you have multiple events for crippling yourself.

Maybe the FIA should have a separate motosport series for left-foot breakers and right foot-breakers.

How you choose to swim should be irrelevant. It's a time trial. Fastest is all that matters.

When there are hurdles you have to go through them as fast as possible. You can do it whichever way you like. In the end all that matters is the clock.

I did enjoy the Marathon Swimming today, that shit was intense. So I don't hate swimming.

Nolan.

Maybe you could combine two sports into one too. Like the 100m gymnastic run. Add a bit of danger to the olympics (well apart from lifting above your weight lol) .

Edit: Or gymnastic shooting and archery.

shas'la

linsivvi said:

Baseball
Pokemon
Softball
Golf
Halo MLG
Rugby
Squash
Mario Kart
Karate
Hot dog eating
Roller sport (huh?)

Awesome.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
chickensoup said:
Long legs = long strides. Unfortunately, long legs also makes it harder to be coordinated and get those legs moving quickly. It's possible that the Jamaicans have found a training regime that overcomes this hurdle. If so, I suspect we might start seeing a few more taller sprinters over the next couple of years.
From the article you linked to -

"So will the starting blocks at the 2012 Olympics be filled by giants? Probably not."

That entire article is about how he's an exception. Michael Johnson was an exception way back when because of his upright running style, too, but you don't see a bunch of guys these days running upright like he did. What I do remember is speculation that he was juicing because the physics told us he couldn't run that fast with that form, ie the same thing people are saying about Bolt now.

Nolan.

chickensoup said:
I'm surprised there isn't an obstacle course / army training run event.

I can't believe tug of war use to be an olympic event, i'd still like something to do with mud though probably.

As for the army training event, we could just have a big gladiator like set up and let each country send out their best gladiators. Not gladiators as in greece. More like the tv show, not sure what it would be called though.

Branduil

avaya said:
Bitter are we?
Why would I be bitter? :lol You're the one making a fool of yourself with your desperate attempts at discrediting an entire sport just because you don't like what happened with it.

woodchuck

Jeff-DSA said:
Well, Bolt's achievements have been done before...Phelp's haven't been until now. Bigger significance? Pretty obvious.

when was the last time the same guy set a WR in the 100m and 200m in the same olympics? i'd love to know the answer

Alucard

Banned
Bolt was completely incredible today. What an absolutely dominating and inspiring performance. These Olympics have been fantastic, even with the as-expected skewed judging in some events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom