• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mYm|17|

I missed the goal but saw the last 15 mins of extra time...............good stuff.

The US should of put at least 2 in before the game ended

Kifimbo

Canada is about to win another medal in horse riding. There is a tie and there will be a tiebreak. It's either gonna be gold or silver.

Ceres

Banned
Shadow780 said:
She's lucky, she was NOWHERE near where she should be the last couple of Brazil offenses.:lol

Yeah. Though she did have some pretty good saves and always made sure to knock the ball away on any free kicks and corners.
I just think what happened to her at the World Cup was all sorts of fucked up. Yeah, Scurry had a lot of experience, but not getting any play time in for several games and tossing her in against a very quick Brazilian team was just stupid on the coach's part. Guess it's good he got canned right after that.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Kifimbo said:
Canada is about to win another medal in horse riding. There is a tie and there will be a tiebreak. It's either gonna be gold or silver.

Good for yall. Although this thread was much more fun when canada had 0 medals. :D

Jeff-DSA

Shadow780 said:
She's lucky, she was NOWHERE near where she should be the last couple of Brazil offenses.:lol

It was a clean sheet, with extra time added. No matter how you slice it, she had a great match.

Meier

Omg that fucking sucks about the 4x100. We have such a deep team, I can't imagine we wouldn't have won the Gold. Poor Walt, you should have gotten your first one. :( Gay and Patton must feel like such shitheads...what a horrible Olympics for us.

avaya

Meier said:
Omg that fucking sucks about the 4x100. We have such a deep team, I can't imagine we wouldn't have won the Gold.

Powell and Bolt would have destroyed you in the final. Everyone was in a race for second place.

Nolan.

vas_a_morir said:
These Rhythmic Gymnasts have creepy malnourished long features of ballet dancers. East Europe FTL. Shawn Johnson FTW.

How come they're only using ropes and hula hoops? I thought they used to have a ball and other stuff.

lunlunqq

Shadow780 said:
I think it's over, will fap next time~:lol

I'm watching it on NBC NOW!

It's team event now. So make it FIVE young girls, dancing together in tight clothes, with legs wide open and fetish toys... :D

Shadow780

lunlunqq said:

It's team event now. So make it FIVE young girls, dancing together in tight clothes, with legs wide open and fetish toys... :D

OH COOL!

WOOT!

Getting my hand in position then~:lol

lunlunqq said:

Yeah, they like tie eachother up and shit. Rather... interesting.

Chumly

Beezy said:
Stop looking for someone to blame. US just isn't that good in T&F overall this year.
:lol :lol

This is flat out wrong.

The reason why everyone is saying that US T&F is sucking is because everyone that has been a disappoint is because they havent been able to come close to personal best times/throws/jumps along with doing things that arent supposed to happen like dropping batons. US has the talent everyone thinks we have but everyone has just fucked up this year. Hell just go back and look how we did at like the world track and field championships last year. Big difference

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Chumly said:
:lol :lol

This is flat out wrong.

The reason why everyone is saying that US T&F is sucking is because everyone that has been a disappoint is because they havent been able to come close to personal best times/throws/jumps along with doing things that arent supposed to happen like dropping batons. US has the talent everyone thinks we have but everyone has just fucked up this year. Hell just go back and look how we did at like the world track and field championships last year. Big difference

For the next olympics they should go down to jamaica and train ferociously. Don't hold back on the drugs either, I am talking about no restraint whatsoever. Just quit a few weeks before, or however long it takes to clean the system out, and reclaim olympic glory!

ChrisGoldstein said:
For the next olympics they should go down to jamaica and train ferociously. Don't hold back on the drugs either, I am talking about no restraint whatsoever. Just quit a few weeks before, or however long it takes to clean the system out, and reclaim olympic glory!

I think the fucked up part is that the Jamaican athletes are trained in the United states. I think they were told to imagine pot-sniffing dogs chasing them through customs on the way to the games.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Applying a value system in which gold = 10 pts., silver = 5 pts., and bronze = 3 pts. Here's how I rank the top 10 countries up to 12am Friday morning Beijing time.

Rank.Country....Gold....Silver....Bronze......Total Points
1......China........46........15.........22..............601
2......USA..........29........34.........32..............556
3......Russia.......16........16.........19..............297
4......G.Britain....17........12.........11..............263
5......Australia....11........13.........14..............217
6......Germany...11.........8..........12..............186
7......S.Korea.....10........10..........6...............168
8......Japan.........9..........6...........9...............147
9......France........4.........12.........14..............142
10....Italy...........6..........7...........8...............119

Chumly

ChrisGoldstein said:
Honestly I dont care if the Jamicans beat the US in shit but what IS disappointing when people fucking drop batons when hurdlers hit hurdles when the shot put people cant even throw a ball within boundries when you hear about runners way off their best times etc...... THATS whats been disppointing about these olympics. What Bolt did in the 100M dash was fucking amazing and I give him credit. But it was disappointing that Tyson Gay couldnt even challenge him in the finals after he just ran a 9.69 (Yes it was wind aided)(Hell maybe he could have pushed Bolt to go even faster like we all know he could have). But the point still stands that he was WAY off his best times and that seems to be the case for everyone in the US T&F.

Beezy

vas_a_morir said:
I think the fucked up part is that the Jamaican athletes are trained in the United states. I think they were told to imagine pot-sniffing dogs chasing them through customs on the way to the games.
Shut the fuck up. Seriously.

Nolan.

Chumly said:
Honestly I dont care if the Jamicans beat the US in shit but what IS disappointing when people fucking drop batons when hurdlers hit hurdles when the shot put people cant even throw a ball within boundries when you hear about runners way off their best times etc...... THATS whats been disppointing about these olympics. What Bolt did in the 100M dash was fucking amazing and I give him credit. But it was disappointing that Tyson Gay couldnt even challenge him in the finals after he just ran a 9.69 (Yes it was wind aided)(Hell maybe he could have pushed Bolt to go even faster like we all know he could have). But the point still stands that he was WAY off his best times and that seems to be the case for everyone in the US T&F.

Even if gay was running at his best there were other runners consistently decreasing their times during the rounds. He simply failed. You have to bring your best game when it matters, he didn't have a batton to drop on his own just run and he couldn't even do that enough.

Wow team rhythmic is kind of good :O .

Solaros

First post in a stickied thread I think, and it is going to be naive one!

Can someone tell me the story or direct me to a link that tells about this picture?

image.jpg

Branduil

funkmastergeneral said:
Really? Competitive walking is an olympic sport?
Wow, you're the first person to talk about this. Let me guess, next you're going to complain about how America ranks medals differently than everyone else, and then you're going to argue about whether or not Phelps or Bolt is the superior athlete.

vas_a_morir said:

Not this new generation according to the piece on times online (sorry, can't find the link for you, was posted here before somewhere).

One of the Jamaican Coaches said that the training in the USA ended up draining their athletes and that they were done after their scholarships ended.

I don't know, it's a possibility that should be discussed. Over training and exausted athletes? Could explain some of the failures.

So far they have 20 medals in track and field, which is good, but, according to the media, this was maybe the best team ever, rivaling with 1968 and 1996. Performances in 2007 left everybody hopeful for a strong showing this olympics.

And here's what happened so far, i''l try to remember everything i saw:

Adam Nelson and Reese Hoffa, favorites to finish 1-2 on shot put failed to throw the rock in the final round, ended up without medals.

Hyleas Fountain had a good lead in the heptathlon, but ended up choking in one event and sliding to 3rd (i know she's silver know)

Lagat failed to qualify in one event he had won in the world championship a year ago. Same thing happened with Tyson.

Muna Lee thought the 100m finals had a false start, lost momentum and gilrs ended up without medals, they could have at least one if they performed withim their limits.

Brad Walker, best pole vault jump of the year, 10 centimeters off Bubka's record failed to qualify for the finals, he missed all his attempts at 5'65! (his season best was 6'04).

U.S men didn't qualify for the finals (not even talking about winning here) for triple jump, long jump, 800m, 1500m, javelin throw or hammer throw.

Both 4 x 100 relays were leading in the last corner when they dropped the stick, DSQ.

Lolo Jones hit a hurdle, lost a medal and a 1-2 finish. Sanya Richards, ahead by a mile got cramps and ended with a bronze.

So far, the only positive note goes to the 400m, with and without hurdles.

We still have 4 x 400 relays, Brian Clay, 5000m men and woman's long jump, what will happen there?

You tell me this is not a bit of a letdown?

If they were a bunch of scrubs and did their best, nobody would say a word, but the fact is, people performed bellow their normal level, that's why we're a bit sad.

Jim

As a hardcore cereal fan, Phelps is my hero just because he chose to be on the Frosted Flakes box (his fav supposedly) instead of Wheaties.

Edit: Had to post that pic of Natasha Kai from the U.S. soccer team after they won.

85577be7279749eab46143ea3b7bf6f2-getty-81972129dm037_olympics_day_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom