• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
He got his 9th medal!
:D
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08222008/gossip/pagesix/phelps_sucks_face_with_aussie_125507.htm

Michael Phelps doesn't have a girlfriend, but he celebrated his record-breaking eight gold medals in Beijing by sneaking off for a sizzling game of tonsil hockey with one of Australia's hottest Olympians.

Phelps, fresh from shattering Mark Spitz's 36-year-old record, was spotted Monday night in a hot make-out session with Down Under swimmer Stephanie Rice, a source tells The Post's Clemente Lisi and Luke Dennehy. The pumped-up pair clinched and swapped spit at a celebratory bash outside the Olympic Village.

The Baltimore Bullet swooped in for the lip-lock with the 20-year-old brunette just weeks after she split from Aussie swimmer Eamon Sullivan. "All the swimmers are talking about it, and [Sullivan] is cut up about what happened," the source said.

The day after the face-sucking frolics, Phelps and Rice cheekily posed together for Speedo - laughing and playfully groping each other as a photographer snapped them in their swimsuits. "I definitely admire him for his athletic ability and everything he's achieved," gushed Rice, who won three gold medals of her own. "I'm just really glad to be in the mix with that."

Whether the dynamic duo is now a couple isn't known. Phelps' rep didn't return our calls.

MechDX

Ripclawe said:

women_scoop_narrowweb__300x420,0.jpg

deepbrown

Pachael said:
Russia won 4 gold today
- Men's Heavy (91kg)
- Rhytmic Gymnastics Individual All Around
- Synchronised Swimming Team
- Kayaking Canoe Single C1 500m

US women pulling away again - congrats on the win, it's 4 in a row!

"Rhytmic Gymnastics Individual All Around
- Synchronised Swimming Team"

WUT? >_<

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
haha worst boxing match ever. i dont think the dude who lost even got hurt although he was getting tagged. oh olympic boxing

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hahaha awesome piece on showing how shitty olympic boxing is. this should be a great gold-medal match, "a couple of guys who like to hold" and whose qualifying matches were farces.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Applying a value system in which gold = 10 pts., silver = 5 pts., and bronze = 3 pts. Here's how I rank the top 10 countries up to 12am Sunday morning Beijing time.

Rank.Country....Gold....Silver....Bronze......Total Points
1......China........49........19.........28..............669
2......USA..........34........37.........36..............633
3......Russia.......21........21.........27..............396
4......G.Britain....19........13.........15..............300
5......Australia....14........15.........17..............266
6......Germany...16........10.........15..............255
7......S.Korea.....13........10..........8...............204
8......France........6.........15.........17..............186
9......Japan.........9..........6..........10..............150
10....Italy...........7.........10.........10..............150

Some notes:
-China still continues to lead. However, their lead has been diminishing quickly in recent days.
-Russia had a huge day yesterday. They've seemingly secured the third spot for the remainder of the games.
-Though tied in total points, I place Japan ahead of Italy due to having earned more gold.
-Both Japan and Italy are in danger of losing their position in the top 10, due to a late surge by Ukraine. Ukraine has 7 golds, 5 silvers, and 15 bronzes; for a total of 140 points.

Nolan.

AstroLad said:
hahaha awesome piece on showing how shitty olympic boxing is. this should be a great gold-medal match, "a couple of guys who like to hold" and whose qualifying matches were farces.

The fight between Cuba and Gb was just as silly. Most of it was holding, tripping over and a mix of both. I don't get it but I suppose it's an easy enough even to get a medal by the looks of it depending on how you look at it.

This Russia Vs China womens basketball match is interesting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nolan. said:
The fight between Cuba and Gb was just as silly. Most of it was holding, tripping over and a mix of both. I don't get it but I suppose it's an easy enough even to get a medal by the looks of it depending on how you look at it.

Watching that one right now, oh man.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
actually kinda feel bad that the british guy got booed; both fighters were responsible for it being a shitty fight and the british guy was better even though it was a total mess.

"the geezer bit me! the geezer bit me!" chav alert

nny

RBH said:

SnowWolf said:

The chaps who win gold medals - even those as geeky as Michael Phelps - are the principal objects of desire for many female athletes. There is something about sporting success that makes a certain type of woman go crazy - smiling, flirting and sometimes even grabbing at the chaps who have done the business in the pool or on the track. An Olympic gold medal is not merely a route to fame and fortune; it is also a surefire ticket to writhe.

So imagine what poor Phelps must have had to deal with. I bet it wasn't an accident that he went to China without a girlfriend. :lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...0822/iTunes_tibet_080822/20080822?hub=SciTech

China blocks iTunes a day after Tibet album released

Updated Fri. Aug. 22 2008 8:05 AM ET

The Canadian Press

BEIJING -- Customers in China of Apple Inc.'s iTunes online music store were unable to download songs this week, and an activist group said Beijing was trying to block access to a new Tibet-themed album.

In Internet forums, iTunes users complained they had been unable to download music since Monday. That was a day after the Art of Peace Foundation announced the release of "Songs for Tibet," with music by Sting, Alanis Morissette, Garbage and others, and a 15-minute talk by the Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan leader.

Michael Wohl, executive director of the New York City-based group, said he believed the album was the reason for the iTunes interruption, though he had no proof.

"We issued a release saying that over 40 (Olympic) athletes downloaded the album in an act of solidarity, and that's what triggered it. Then everything got blocked," Wohl said by phone.

Beijing encourages Internet use for education and business use but tries to block access to foreign sites run by dissidents and human rights and Tibet activists.

The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, which regulates Internet use, did not respond to a request for comment. A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Public Security, who would give only her surname, Wang, said she had no information.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, acknowledged that customers were having trouble.

"We are aware of the logon problems but we have no comment at the moment," said Huang Yuna, an Apple spokeswoman in Beijing. She declined to say how many customers were believed to be affected.

Blocked iTunes users poured out their frustration on Internet bulletin boards.

"It seems like suspending iTunes is punishment for iTunes, but really it doesn't hurt iTunes, it hurts us," said a note on macfans.com.cn, a Chinese site for Apple users.

The Dalai Lama has been vilified by Chinese authorities, who claim he is trying to split Tibet from China. He says he only wants greater autonomy for the Himalayan region to protect its Buddhist culture.

Violent protests broke out in March in the Tibetan capital of Lhasa. Many Tibetans insist they were an independent nation before Communist troops invaded in 1950, while Beijing says the Himalayan region has been its territory for centuries.

Wohl said his group contacted Olympians ahead of the games and offered free copies of the 20-song album. He said those who downloaded it included competitors from the United States, Canada, Britain, Spain, France and Australia.

Most got the album before entering China, but "some in Beijing did download, and I think that's what spooked the Chinese government," Wohl said.

Wohl declined to identify the athletes by name, saying he wanted to avoid making trouble for them with the Chinese government or the International Olympic Committee.

China has the world's largest population of Internet users, with 253 million people online as of June, according to the government. The United States is in second place with 223.1 million people online, according to research firm Nielsen Online.

Apple has no China-based iTunes service. Users must log onto sites for the United States or other markets. Despite that, the company's iPod digital music player is hugely popular in China.

Wohl said he had heard no complaints from Apple about the possible impact of the album on iTunes access.

"They're incredibly supportive people. They wouldn't do anything like that," he said. "They support freedom of speech and freedom of expression."

Fortunately Phelps downloaded his favourite music before this happened, yes ? :D

Nolan.

SnowWolf said:
Another article on the massive sex-fest in the Olympic village

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4582421.ece

It shouldn't be that surprising. I think almost any area where you dedicate a lot of time to training or to a particular activity that's not sex, it's more than likely going to happen. Just looking at the guy that wrote that article just furthers my point really. I think just about anyone can get sex in those circumstances...

I'm gonna volunteer for 2012...<_<

Nolan.

Shadow780 said:
:lol :lol

Img795489_t.jpg

They would make a cute couple. Also that swimmer looks like a nicer fit for phelps. Plus what does phelps mean by thinking about participating in other events, are there other swimming events, or he means diving.?

Forsete

iapetus said:
If anyone deserves it, it's the TKD officials. The whole thing's been one bad joke from start to end.

Yeah and now I wish Ara Abrahamian had beaten the shit out of that swiss/italian ref.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/wrestling/news/newsid=251344.html?_source=rss&cid=

Turns out the wrestler who was stripped of his bronze medal for dropping it in disgust had good reason to be angry, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled Saturday.

His coach was denied a request for a video review, then the wrestling federation - the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles, or FILA - refused to even consider a protest.

The judges said Abrahamian was right.

"We limit ourselves to ruling that FILA must, consistently with the (Olympic) Charter and general principles of fairness, establish for the future a jury of appeal to determine the validity or otherwise of complaints of the kind ventilated by (Abrahamian)," the judges wrote.

So corrupt.

nny

NetMapel said:
Why not, they look nice together :D

Here's the mother's reaction to that thought though:
2q0270w.gif

:lol :lol :lol

and who's the guy in white? her boyfriend? he doesn't seem to take the news very well :lol

Karakand

The union of the one we call Phelps and that chick from Oz is the first step in a unified Oceania (1984) team.

Chicoms won't have shit on us then.

BELIEVE

Branduil

It's becoming more and more obvious that rather than baseball and softball, the sports that should be abolished are boxing, taekwondo, wrestling, and all of the other fighting sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom