• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branduil said:
It's becoming more and more obvious that rather than baseball and softball, the sports that should be abolished are boxing, taekwondo, wrestling, and all of the other fighting sports.

They should just be replaced with a non pussified MMA.

Ripclawe

Banned
BOOOO!!!

0823_shawn_email_launch.jpg

fine I laughed.

Ripclawe

Banned
Branduil said:
It's becoming more and more obvious that rather than baseball and softball, the sports that should be abolished are boxing, taekwondo, wrestling, and all of the other fighting sports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kick-overturns-result-win-bronze-Britain.html

The Mail on Sunday won an Olympic medal for the heroic Great British team last night.

Evidence from our photographer helped Sarah Stevenson to overturn an outrageous decision in yesterday’s taekwondo martial arts contest and go on to secure a bronze medal.

Stevenson, 25, looked to have been robbed of her medal chance when in a quarter-final bout against China’s double Olympic champion Cheng Zhong she was the victim of one of the more inexplicable judging decisions in Olympic history.

Despite landing a clear kick to Zhong’s face, which should have scored her two points and a dramatic 2-1 victory in the final seconds of the bout, the judges failed to recognise the strike and allowed Zhong to win.

Zhong had a huge bruise and a cut lip, confirming that the Doncaster girl had connected with her face and should have won the contest.

As a capacity crowd at the Beijing science and technology gym deliriously celebrated their heroine’s win, tearful Stevenson was inconsolable.

But in an unprecedented development, the British team managed to have the result reversed – thanks to Dave Shopland, our man at the Olympic taekwondo.

Without access to video replays, British officials were unclear how strong their case would be. Also, they were aware that never before in taekwondo had the judges’
ruling been overturned.

Then Shopland showed team manager Gary Hall our perfect picture that clearly depicted Stevenson striking Zhong’s face.

That sparked the chain of events that led to the decision being overturned.

Stevenson told Shopland later: ‘Thank you for your help. The photo shows I definitely hit her.’

article-0-0263C36200000578-478_468x473.jpg

Branduil said:
Yeah, I watched a good bit of the boxing during the afternoon and the scoring was completely nonsensical. It was a riot though hearing Teddy Atlas just continually pointing out clean hits and stuff.

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, I watched a good bit of the boxing during the afternoon and the scoring was completely nonsensical. It was a riot though hearing Teddy Atlas just continually pointing out clean hits and stuff.

I actually like the scoring system. Makes it almost impossible to cheat the system since you'd have to buy 3 of the 5 judges. And even then, it's not guaranteed that they'd be able to synchronize their scores each time due to the constraints on how the score is registered.

A panel of five judges decides which hits are scoring hits.

Judges each have two buttons before them, one for each boxer, and they press the appropriate button when they believe a boxer delivers a scoring hit.

An electronic scoring system registers a point whenever three or more judges press the button for one boxer within a second of each other. No point is awarded for a hit unless three of the five judges agree.

When two boxers trade blows in a flurry of infighting, where no full-force punches can land, the judges wait until the end of the exchange and award a point to the boxer who got the better of it.

The scoring system, based on the time constraint, is almost purely based on instinct; no time to think.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
So I guess it's now just after 7:30 am in Beijing. The last day of competition is underway. I gotta say, it's been an amazing couple of weeks.

I hate jogging or running long distances but it's hard not to respect these marathon runners. The announcer said they run 200 kms a week year round just to train! Damn...no wonder they get all those hairline fractures and batter their bodies...just imagine all the mileage on their bodies...

nny

Laguna X said:
So I guess it's now just after 7:30 am in Beijing. The last day of competition is underway. I gotta say, it's been an amazing couple of weeks.

I'm already missing the games. :| Fortunately the next games will have a more friendly time difference than these -7 hours to China, but oh well they're still 4 years away.

ty_hot

Why do people start to change who win the olympics assigning "points" for silver and bronze medals? :lol

Most gold wins, it won't change because USA is in second :lol

ty_hot said:
Why do people start to change who win the olympics assigning "points" for silver and bronze medals? :lol

Most gold wins, it won't change because USA is in second :lol

See, I don't see that. More medals shows greater competitive athleticism throughout various distinct disciplines. China may win ping pong and diving every year. However, were they competitive in every event, or just heavied up in events with lesser competition? Yes, I am a US homer, if I was Chinese I would be arguing golds are what matters, but under your reasoning, if a country got a gold in horse riding, and another country got silver in every other event in the Olympics, the country with the horse riding medal would be the greatest Olympic athletic country. We both know that's stupid.

The way every country but America does it is golds first. Officially, golds first. Closing ceremony, it's golds first. Case closed.

On another note of twisting things

So, I've realised, Britain is best because we're the best at sports that humans are best at. Sure, Phelps can swim, but if he were to race a shark... he'd be screwed! People say he was built for swimming, not true, if he was, he'd have fins and gills! And Bolt? Bolt knows he'll not beat a cheater. But sailing? Oh, you put a snake in a boat, it'll have no idea what the hell to do.

[/hughdennis]

USA has done terrible in track and field this year. Maybe it's payback for the massive show boating by Maurice Greene and company in the previous olympics. People complain about Bolt but they were way over the top.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
mYm|17| said:
Australian guy beat out the Chinese guy with his last dive.....................danggggggggg

I had read accidentally before watching that China missed the 8 gold medal streak in Diving.

I kept wondering, "How the hell is that gonna happen"

Then to watch the average dive by China, followed by Australia's awesome dive was an amazing finish.

Piecake

mYm|17| said:
Australian guy beat out the Chinese guy with his last dive.....................danggggggggg

Luxin chocked hard core. I'd hate to be that guy, blowing the diving sweep for China when it was pretty much in the bag.

mYm|17| said:
Sanya Richards...................clutch

This isn't surprising. The US had a strong team from the heats and Jamaica was probably a lock for second or third (thus getting the bronze). I haven't check the scores for the men as well but Jamaica had a mediocre squad as well for the 4x400 relays so silver or bronze at best (though they might not even medal).

Too bad for the womens' volleyball team. I was rooting for them.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Medal ceremony... yawwwn. Does anyone enjoy watching those? I guess I remember enjoying them as a kid. But today, pleh.

vas_a_morir said:
See, I don't see that. More medals shows greater competitive athleticism throughout various distinct disciplines. China may win ping pong and diving every year. However, were they competitive in every event, or just heavied up in events with lesser competition? Yes, I am a US homer, if I was Chinese I would be arguing golds are what matters, but under your reasoning, if a country got a gold in horse riding, and another country got silver in every other event in the Olympics, the country with the horse riding medal would be the greatest Olympic athletic country. We both know that's stupid.
the country with the gold would be better, because at least they had a winner instead of a bunch of first runner ups. it's not really hard to comprehend.

Raging Spaniard said:
Is that 2:30 pacific time?
eastern

Ceres

Banned
Wait.. for all the complaining about NBC not showing stuff live... Someone is now complaining they are showing something live???

Pachael

Gonaria said:
Luxin chocked hard core. I'd hate to be that guy, blowing the diving sweep for China when it was pretty much in the bag.

Still, Mitcham needed 108 points to overhaul him, which pretty much needed 10s on the board for the 3.8 dive. He got them, and much shock and hilarity ensued. A lot of air was sucked in after that dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom