• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
lherre said:
Depends on the number of violations ... but I repeat is easy to check, see the match again and see the fiba rule about travelling.
WOW. So I again repeat: quit it while some of us are taking you seriously.

:lol

well if we're going to play that game, lets go back and take a look at all of the bogus foul calls, the traveling that wasn't called on spain (and not the kind you are talking about), and the pushes in the back that weren't called on spain but were called on the U.S.

i think after we go through all of those, things will come out even and we will still come to the conclusion that US are the champs

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Starchasing said:
I think most of you guys think that im bitching about travelling after the dribble.

Im talking travelling at the begining of the dribble

As is said, you probably dont know about the rule im talking about, its ok after all you are north american

Didn't Kobe get called for that twice in the game before this one? And didn't Ginobli get hit with it a couple of times too? What the hell do you want your land back or something?

DY_nasty said:
Didn't Kobe get called for that twice in the game before this one? And didn't Ginobli get hit with it a couple of times too? What the hell do you want your land back or something?
Oh GAWD man :lol :lol :lol

tehbear

Well ridiculous whining aside. I have to give props to the Spanish for hanging tough. Clearly didn't show all their heart and talent in that 37 point drubbing but they did bring it tonight. Even if they aren't all-stars they played like it. Fernandez was simply unconscious and as porous as the US interior defense was, you still can't ignore the fact the Spain's offense was quick, sharp, and confident.

Bball is not easy to ref, but outside of the calls, good game. Good night.

lherre

Accurate
FrenchMovieTheme said:
:lol

well if we're going to play that game, lets go back and take a look at all of the bogus foul calls, the traveling that wasn't called on spain (and not the kind you are talking about), and the pushes in the back that weren't called on spain but were called on the U.S.

i think after we go through all of those, things will come out even and we will still come to the conclusion that US are the champs

USA is a fair champion, but repeat, I'm not saying that USA won "cheating", I only saying that this wonderful players (marvelous) don't need this help.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
DY_nasty said:
Kitt doesn't represent NBA-GAF, The NeoGAF Basketball Authority, in any way. Hell of a game though Spain.

Also... How would we play an entire tournament, refereed by non-NBA officials without playing by that tournaments rules? I mean, thats what the refs are there for right? I didn't hear any of this before we laid claim to the gold.

dude

it was a NBA ref

Eddie Rush was the ref in the bronze game

Darkman M

It warms my heart to see the bitter tears and angst of the haters here, really your despair makes it all the more worth it :lol Please cry some moar for me.

I lost a lot of respect for Dwight in this tournament. Michael Redd as well. I gained respect for Bosh and a ton of respect for Wade. Tayshaun played hard as well. Boozer lost respect points as well.

Man fuck the Blazers next year with that Fernandez kid. I can see the clutch threes already. They are going to be ridiculous.

Much props to Spain especially my boy Pau. And LOL @ people acting like Memphis didn't get anything in Marc Gasol. More like Memphis had better get a big contract ready for his extension because he's going to be worth some cash.

DY_nasty

scorcho said:
no. i am agreeing with you and using sarcasm as a rhetorical device to illustrate how ridiculous the bitter tears argument from the other side sounds.

you should put your 'oooooh' face on now

Okay... I thought this was a debate with a bit of misunderstanding here or there, but this is nothing more than an advanced tasting of some of the finest bitter tears imported from overseas. Made from delicious sour grapes in the form of a most delectable whine. Thank you my good sir, I would usually have to wait until the NFL Playoffs to indulge myself in such a manner.

I wanted a dunk-fest, ended up with a great game. That's ok, gold is what matters.

Spain played better than anyone could imagine. USA's defense was atrocious.

D-Wade MVP, Kobe clutch as always. I hope they keep playing with the same passion for the next olympics and other competitions.

Kittonwy

Banned
Oh shit getting murdered by Hungry in water polo.
angry.gif

Ok will explain it to you guys.

There is a rule about how you are allowed to start dribbling. NBA has one rule , FIBA has another. Both rules are different.

Basketball olympics are played by FIBA rules.

Most of you guys probably dont watch FIBA games.

People who watch FIBA games could tell that Team USA violated the rule about every other time.

Most of you people didnt see that because all you see is american ball.

Why is this important? Because NBA rules gives a lot of advantge to the guy starting the dribble.

Again, im talking about travelling at the start of the dribble

It warms my heart to see the bitter tears and angst of the haters here, really your despair makes it all the more worth it Please cry some moar for me.

there are no bitter tears on my side. I love basketabll and i watched one of the most intense games ever... one of the best games period.

The thing about travelling is just to illustrate you non-fiba fans

Zep

Banned
It's easy to ignore all these crybabies...but I would love to send a special fuck you to Fran Fraschilla and Chris Sheridan, Fuck you hacks, go cry in your sleep tonight..

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Dark FaZe said:
And LOL @ people acting like Memphis didn't get anything in Marc Gasol. More like Memphis had better get a big contract ready for his extension because he's going to be worth some cash.
As a Grizz fan I thought it was a great acquisition I didn't know there was a hate squad out. Bummer.

lherre

Accurate
Starchasing said:

There is a rule about how you are allowed to start dribbling. NBA has one rule , FIBA has another. Both rules are different.

People who watch FIBA games could tell that Team USA violated the rule about every other time.

Why is this important? Because NBA rules gives a lot of advantge to the guy starting the dribble.

Correct.

Indeed what a wonderful match, i wanted 10 or 20 minutes more :lol

Starchasing said:

Explain the rule, then. It's not very complicated. What about the so-called FIBA rule is different than the NBA rule?

Are you saying the American players lifted their pivot feet before the ball touched the ground on drives? If that's what you're saying then just say it. You're being incredible vague and it makes you come off as stupid/bitter.

Kittonwy said:
Oh shit getting murdered by Hungry in water polo.
angry.gif
US has run out of gas and played a crappy 4th quarter. It's also Hungary and they have 1/3 of the gold medals ever in water polo. The US was picked to finish 5th-8th, and they've had a great run to make it here. They knocked off 4 teams that were favored to beat them - it's too bad they didn't have one more upset in them.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How many quarters are they're in waterpolo?

DY_nasty

Starchasing said:

We all know what traveling is. We also know what whining about the refs is. The game was not dictated by the officiating in any way, nor was any other game for that matter. Check the OP and please stop with the over the top whining. The serbs weren't even this pissed about the hundredth of a second deal with Phelps. We all saw a good game (even though I hate seeing USA get sliced apart and beasted on the boards)and without a doubt the best team won, isn't that enough?

Explain to Us this rule......you keep saying that there is this mystical rule taht was ignored but never explain it.

Also If you admit that the US diddn't cheat or won unfairly then WTF are you complaining for?

Zep

Banned
Starchasing said:

Don't talk to us like we're slow. We understand what the FIBA rule is...Point being, it has rarely been called the whole tournament.. So to bring it up and make it as your main excuse just screams bitter as shit. Just say GG USA Team and take the loss in stride.

The rest of us will go celebrate in our minds.

mYm|17|

Cornballer said:
US has run out of gas and played a crappy 4th quarter. It's also Hungary and they have 1/3 of the gold medals ever in water polo. The US was picked to finish 5th-8th, and they've had a great run to make it here. They knocked off 4 teams that were favored to beat them - it's too bad they didn't have one more upset in them.

Damn was hoping they would win..........still Silver is great for the Water Polo team

Kittonwy

Banned
Cornballer said:

Too bad because I wanted them to win.
angry.gif

Piecake

seattle6418 said:
I wanted a dunk-fest, ended up with a great game. That's ok, gold is what matters.

Spain played better than anyone could imagine. USA's defense was atrocious.

D-Wade MVP, Kobe clutch as always. I hope they keep playing with the same passion for the next olympics and other competitions.

I'm sure the majority of the team will be comprised of new players. Now that they'll got their gold and represented their country, Im guessing that a few of them wont want to put in the necessary time needed to get ready for this. I mean, look at Duncan and Garnett. Two great guys and very unselfish players, but they weren't willing to do it again

lherre

Accurate
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Explain the rule, then. It's not very complicated. What about the so-called FIBA rule is different than the NBA rule?

Are you saying the American players lifted their pivot feet before the ball touched the ground on drives? If that's what you're saying then just say it. You're being incredible vague and it makes you come off as stupid/bitter.

Basically in the nba you can start the dribbling with "2" feets before put the ball in the floor (I don't know if the english is correct, sorry), in fiba rule only is permitted one. As you can see if you can "run" two instead one give you a big advantage over the defender because you can start running more easy.

lherre said:
Basically in the nba you can start the dribbling with "2" feets before put the ball in the floor (I don't know if the english is correct, sorry), in fiba rule only is permitted one. As you can see if you can "run" two instead one give you a big advantage over the defender because you can start running more easy.
Are you saying the NBA rules allow for a player to take two steps before dribbling? Because if that's what you're saying, you're wrong. The NBA rules are pretty much identical to all bball rules on this: your pivot foot cannot touch the ground after it has been lifted off it. Period.

DY_nasty

lherre said:

Wow, if the Spaniards had done that just as much we did then we surely would have lost by 400.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Are you saying the NBA rules allow for a player to take two steps before dribbling? Because if that's what you're saying, you're wrong. The NBA rules are pretty much identical to all bball rules on this: your pivot foot cannot touch the ground after it has been lifted off it. Period.

Thanks for saving me because I ran out of compassion 3 pages ago :lol

oh ok not so stealth edit

in the USA you can move your pivot foot before you start to bounce

in FIBA world you must bounce the ball first before moving the pivot foot

This has huge implications on the game... if you fellow americans dont get its ok

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Cornballer said:
Oh well, I guess we'll get a shot in another 104 years at the 2112 Olympics.

Dali

Starchasing said:
Its not stupid if you have ever played ball on both sides. I played basketball on bout Europe and USA and i can tell you that moving the pivot foot before bouncing the ball gives you a lot of advantge.
It's also called traveling on this side as well. I think you guys just don't know what you are talking about. The FIBA and NBA traveling rules are different, but what you are describing is traveling over here. Maybe you just have trouble recognizing a jab step?

Starchasing said:
Its not stupid if you have ever played ball on both sides. I played basketball on bout Europe and USA and i can tell you that moving the pivot foot before bouncing the ball gives you a lot of advantge.
I'm not saying the rule is stupid, I'm saying you're stupid for not making it clear what your problem was with the officiating. Now you sound even more stupid because you're saying the NBA rules allow for a playing to take a couple steps before dribbling when they don't. Now, maybe the officiating let's players get away with breaking the rules in the NBA, but the NBA rules on traveling are basically identical to FIBA rules in this case. If you can explain otherwise, I would love to learn.
Well, I think that someone can make gifs with the travellings to explain better this.
It's not complicated. After establishing a pivot foot, that foot cannot touch the ground after it has been lifted into the air. It's that simple. That's the rule for the NBA and that's the rule for FIBA play.

edit: as I understand it, FIBA play is more similar to college ball, which is stricter in how you establish the pivot foot. Besides that, the rules are essentially the same, although perhaps referred more tightly depending on the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom