• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Faceless Master said:
PASTE THE RULE

OP said:
5. No whiners. I am sorry your father was a failure of a man and never told you to suck it up in your formative years. Officiating is an imperfect institution and until we come up with something better, mistakes both deliberate and intentional (read: bribes, cheating) can and will happen. Champions don't let someone else hold them back, end of story.

Did I do it right?

Piecake

This is something that USA team has had issues in the past (02,04,06)With.

In the Nba when you receive the ball you can walk two steps and then bounce the ball so you can attack the ring directly after the pass.

In Fiba you have to Bounce and then if you want to enter into the basket can make two steps.

Im Warning this because for the moment in the whole tournament the Referees have been "blind" to this infraction by Usa players, they would have still won every game by 20+ but some of the results would have been closer if 5 or 6 infractions that where made had been called correctly.

I found this post somewhere, but is this what you guys were talking about? Christ, it took you guys 5 pages and you couldn't explain this?

lherre

Accurate
Dali said:
So how is catching and starting a dribble on the run handled in Europe?

He catches, plants his pivot (or perhaps a two foot plant it's hard to tell), moves his other foot forward while releasing the ball and allowing him to lift his pivot.

Well you are saying he can't move his pivot before release the ball and he did it. Is very clear.

Dali

Gonaria said:
I found this post somewhere, but is this what you guys were talking about? Christ, it took you guys 5 pages and you couldn't explain this?
Fucking finally. Even the video wasn't showing this. :lol

edit: After reading that again I don't think what it says is exactly right. You can't dribble after taking two steps in the NBA. You can take steps and finish. No dribbling between.

lherre said:
Well you are saying he can't move his pivot before release the ball and he did it. Is very clear.
Let's say he came down on both feet meaning either one can be his pivot. He lifts his rear leg in stride while beginning his dribble, then lifts his front foot: his pivot.

3dijs.jpg

this?

Wallach

lherre said:
Yes, this is travelling in europe. When he receives the ball, not when he dunks. Thanks for the gif.

It's kind of hard to tell from that gif. Since he catches the ball in the air, his back foot is the first one to make contact, and his stride there is very long so I can't clearly see if he's started the dribble before the back foot leaves the floor.

This rule is the same as our NCAA rule, if that helps anyone.

Grimmy

Banned
The Olympics are over! Final medal counts.
(to keep everyone happy, I posted both "ways" of showing medals):

By medal count:
United States 36 38 36 110
China 51 21 28 100
Russia 23 21 28 72
Great Britain 19 13 15 47
Australia 14 15 17 46

By golds:
China 51 21 28 100
United States 36 38 36 110
Russia 23 21 28 72
Great Britain 19 13 15 47
Germany 16 10 15 41

Congrats to the US for keeping its lead in the medal count, and congrats to China for its unprecedented 50+ golds and breaking 100 in medals. But IMO the story here is Great Britain - what a performance!

Despite the outcry about the USA Track & Field failing, the US actually did quite well compared to Athens. Same number of golds but more medals overall. Even Canada, after a lackluster start, managed to equal their gold count but upped their medal count by 6 overall. Hoorah!

What a performance by China. 51 gold medals is fucking huge, and 100 medals in total is huge as well.

For reference, here's China's performance in 2004:
Gold - 32
Silver - 17
Bronze - 14
Total - 63

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dali said:
This is truth. I had the Melo hate welling up inside of me.

you real late for that..

but got to give props to Spain for playing real damn well.. they took a beating the first time and regrouped to hang in there all the way to last drop...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
For those who think Kobe and Wade are free from the Shaq curse.....

Penny won gold in 96....yeah...then it went downhill from there

by the next Olympics, Wade will be a 2nd string SG on the Bucks

Kittonwy

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
What a performance by China. 51 gold medals is fucking huge, and 100 medals in total is huge as well.

For reference, here's China's performance in 2004:
Gold - 32
Silver - 17
Bronze - 14
Total - 63

They spent like 6 billion on these olympics, I would expect these kinds of results when they have been drafting kids from a young age, examining their body type and assigning them to train for medal heavy sports, and they're only going to push harder after getting these fantastic results. There's no way America or any country can ever match that, you can't do this stuff in a democracy, no democracy would ever allow the notion of "country sacrificing its people for the benefit of face".

Darkman M

jobber said:
For those who think Kobe and Wade are free from the Shaq curse.....

Penny won gold in 96....yeah...then it went downhill from there

by the next Olympics, Wade will be a 2nd string SG on the Bucks

:lol

Thas cold blooded.

I think If he stays injury free he will have a long prosperous career

lherre

Accurate
Blackace said:
well they have a great SG already.. but you never know.

Yes, but you know, sometimes the europeans don't play a lot of minutes (see Jasikevicius or other examples) and go back to Europe.

Shadow780

Kittonwy said:
They spent like 6 billion on these olympics, I would expect these kinds of results when they have been drafting kids from a young age, examining their body type and assigning them to train for medal heavy sports, and they're only going to push harder after getting these fantastic results. There's no way America or any country can ever match that, you can't do this stuff in a democracy, no democracy would ever allow the notion of "country sacrificing its people for the benefit of face".

Just for this one, not gonna happen next Olympics, until the next time they host maybe.:lol

Blackace

lherre said:
Yes, but you know, sometimes the europeans don't play a lot of minutes (see Jasikevicius or other examples) and go back to Europe.

yes, that's true. But it doesn't mean he'll play a lot mins

lherre

Accurate
Blackace said:
yes, that's true. But it doesn't mean he'll play a lot mins

Well at least this season we can see Navarro again in Spain (althought is a shame that he doesn't continue in the NBA).

DY_nasty

Young guys will always get priority garbage time minutes. Jasikevicius was like 28 when he decided to come over. Nobody is going to invest minutes in a geezer like that. They wanted instant results from him, and even though he delivered, it wasn't quite to what the Pacers were (unrealistically) hoping for.

lherre

Accurate
28 is old to play basketball? I ask honestly.

Jasikevicius is a very good player, maybe the nba style isn't for him, but is a great player (he has won 3 or 4 euleagues here and all the europeans clubs want it).

Hypnotoad

What media outlet in the US doesn't go by total number of medals? It's just ridiculous. The rest of the worlds counts by IOC standards, and so we have one unexpected winner, still impressive, with 51 gold medals.

china-flag.gif

DY_nasty

lherre said:

The NBA Draft is full of guys that are mostly no older than 21. Anything older than a college junior is seen as an already finished project with little potential or upside to develop into a star. 28 is the age when guys (who aren't all-stars) usually start to play for veteran minimums and play for whoever gives them a contract. For a guy that old to even be drafted is a triumph in itself.

Blackace

lherre said:

Jasikevicius is a very good player, maybe the nba style isn't for him, but is a great player (he has won 3 or 4 euleagues here and all the europeans clubs want it).

players start to peak in the NBA at about 26 - 28..

Blackace

I love that Melo is reppin the US while flashing his

flagsofcubapm2.gif

tattoo.. hahah I don't why but I just find it funny

Kittonwy said:

:lol

Sour grapes much? You make it sound like conscription which it is not. You're an embarrassment to whichever country's honor you think it is you're defending here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom