• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

lherre

Accurate
Is a shame for the spectacle that Calderon couldn't play this game, too.

If you see in the las minute, navarro wanted to change with Calderon, but the coach didn't allow it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Closing ceremony in another hour's time. I wasn't going to watch it because most of the time they are pretty tame compared to the opening ceremonies.. but I think I'll watch it this time.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
China had a brilliant showing, even with some scandal. On top of the the US dropped the ball on a handful of things.

Still a great, great games.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Hypnotoad said:
What media outlet in the US doesn't go by total number of medals? It's just ridiculous. The rest of the worlds counts by IOC standards, and so we have one unexpected winner, still impressive, with 51 gold medals.
Going by gold medals is the absolute worst way to do it. It's a real disregard to all of the silvers and bronzes. Going by total medals isn't much better since it counts all of them as equal, but at least it counts them. To me the only fair way is to weigh all of the medals differently. If you went by an actual system (gold is 3, silver is 2, bronze is 1), China would still beat the US by three I believe.

lherre

Accurate
Lebron again, not more complaining, I swear, for all the people this is travelling in europe (and I think all the world :lol ). I think this is more clear. And like this, a lot in every game.

7b09cd5564654633c87419a4a7a26698.gif

(no more about this).

xabre

Banned
With respect the US mens team earned the basketball gold in the end. Not because they wiped teams by 30 and 40 points during the tournament but because they showed guts and resilience in the face of a strong Spanish charge in the 4th qtr. Of course they're lucky Kobe was on song or they would've been run down.

lherre said:
Lebron again, not more complaining, I swear, for all the people this is travelling in europe (and I think all the world :lol ). I think this is more clear. And like this, a lot in every game.

(no more about this).
I don't see where the advantage is gained here. Show me a .gif where he does this on the offensive end to gain advantage and maybe you have a point.

OMG closing ceremonies!

MaddenNFL64

Yes, Team USA basketball back on top. Wade & Kobe were awesome.

And congrats to China for a great Olympics. 51 golds, god damn that's alot. They kicked ass.

lherre

Accurate
OpinionatedCyborg said:
I don't see where the advantage is gained here. Show me a .gif where he does this on the offensive end to gain advantage and maybe you have a point.

OMG closing ceremonies!

This isn't the point, is a violation or not? If it's a violation the referer has to give the ball to the other team. The rules are the rules, not if you have advantage or not.

Or the rules are different depends on the part of the court you are?

At least no one can say NBC is biased in their method of taking total medal count as superior to golds. During the beach volleyball finals they listed Brazil as #1 historically for the sport due to their total number of medals even though USA has a lot more golds.

BIVIANO! said:
Rumour has it led zeppelin is playing.
Just Jimmy Page, playing Whole Lotta Love with Leona Lewis (bleurgh) singing.

Our handover ceremony bit is going to be shit :-(

Edit: those strange bike things look cool. I wonder how easy they are to ride?

linsivvi

chickensoup said:
Just Jimmy Page, playing Whole Lotta Love with Leona Lewis (bleurgh) singing.

Our handover ceremony bit is going to be shit :-(

Edit: those strange bike things look cool. I wonder how easy they are to ride?

This is what I don't understand. With so many talented musicians in the UK, they have to pick Leona Lewis to perform in front of the world??? :/

lherre said:
This isn't the point, is a violation or not? If it's a violation the referer has to give the ball to the other team. The rules are the rules, not if you have advantage or not.

Or the rules are different depends on the part of the court you are?
No, no this is not how sport is refereed. You're Spanish, right? If so, you're surely familiar with advantage reffing in soccer where the ref will overlook a foul because it would deprive the fouled team of a scoring possibility. Or look at a basketball player on a runaway breakaway - if he travels, will the ref make the call? No. If you know any refs, ask them about this and they can explain things better. I can probably refer you to a basketball reffing messageboard too.

Let me give you another basketball example.

Technically, if basketball players aren't supposed to step out of bounds, ever. But they do, and they're rarely called for it unless they take explicit advantage of it. For example, Reggie Miller used to have a couple screens set for him under the basket. He would then run out of bounds to the opposite corner for an open 3. That crossed the line and refs started calling him on it.

lherre

Accurate
OpinionatedCyborg said:
No, no this is not how sport is refereed. You're Spanish, right? If so, you're surely familiar with advantage reffing in soccer where the ref will overlook a foul because it would deprive the fouled team of a scoring possibility. Or look at a basketball player on a runaway breakaway - if he travels, will the ref make the call? No. If you know any refs, ask them about this and they can explain things better. I can probably refer you to a basketball reffing messageboard too.

First in basketball this doesn't exist ... (the advantage reffing)

Second, in this case the violation beneficts the infringer ... you don't see this?? In football doesn't benefit the infringer as you explain perfectly ... I think is obvious ...

As I say you, a violation is a violation, in basketball the referers has to make a call of all the violations.

linsivvi said:
This is what I don't understand. With so many talented musicians in the UK, they have to pick Leona Lewis to perform in front of the world??? :/
Could be worse, we could have had Amy Winehouse shooting up live on stage. Maybe they're keeping that treat back till 2012 :D

What are the Canadians wearing?

OpinionatedCyborg said:

I won't speak for soccer but in Rugby League you don't get advantage unless the opposing team made a mistake or incurred a penalty that gives you advantage. You can't just cheat and do a forward pass for example just because you're close to the try line. Quite the opposite in fact. Any referee would call a team on that and every fan would be outraged if they didn't.

lherre said:
First in basketball this doesn't exist ... (the advantage reffing)

Second, in this case the violation beneficts the infringer ... you don't see this?? In football doesn't benefit the infringer as you explain perfectly ...
Yes it does, and that's how refs call games.
I won't speak for soccer but in Rugby League you don't get advantage unless the opposing team made a mistake or incurred a penalty that gives you advantage. You can't just cheat and do a forward pass for example just because you're close to the try line. Quite the opposite in fact. Any referee would call a team on that and every fan would be outraged if they didn't.
I don't know rugby, so I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. I'm just saying that if team A breaks the rules but by stopping the play it would deprive team B, the play isn't always stopped because team B would be inadvertently penalized, not team A.

lherre

Accurate
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Yes it does, and that's how refs call games.

No, doesn't exist.

For example, if the advantage reffing would exist you can commit a foul to a player and if later that player pass the ball to other and he scores (maybe can pass 2-3 seconds), it should be valid with your rule, but in basketball my friend ... no. First is the foul, and all that occurs later doesn't count.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lherre said:

(no more about this).

well as soon as they stop calling the flopping you'd have a leg to stand on

linsivvi

chickensoup said:
Could be worse, we could have had Amy Winehouse shooting up live on stage. Maybe they're keeping that treat back till 2012 :D

Yeah that's true. Having Winehouse on stage would be epic though. :lol

lherre said:
No, doesn't exist.
Talk to someone who's reffed at the college level and they will tell you games are not called by the book.

In the NBA there are some blatant examples that I haven't even mentioned. One of them isn't particularly good, but it's really clear: refs who wait to see if the ball goes in after a foul was committed. Ball doesn't go in? Free throws. Ball goes in? Play on. It drives fans crazy, and I don't like it myself. But that's about as clear of an example as I can think of (besides players on breakaways, etc.).

Advantage/disadvantage is the guiding rule behind officiating in nearly all sport.

lherre

Accurate
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Talk to someone who's reffed at the college level and they will tell you games are not called by the book.

In the NBA there are some blatant examples that I haven't even mentioned. One of them isn't particularly good, but it's really clear: refs who wait to see if the ball goes in after a foul was committed. Ball doesn't go in? Free throws. Ball goes in? Play on. It drives fans crazy, and I don't like it myself. But that's about as clear of an example as I can think of (besides players on breakaways, etc.).

Advantage/disadvantage is the guiding rule behind officiating in nearly all sport.

Well, and I repeat that rule doesn't exist in basketball, you can ask anyone in Europe, if in NBA exists I don't know, but here NO. But I repeat, I agree with you if the beneficts don't go to the infringer like this example you say maybe you can act like you say but ...

Travelling are travelling in any part of the court. In this case the beneficts goes to the usa player (lebron in this case), the infringer. Then this is fair for the other team?

The example you say besides, is when a player shoot, but I'm saying if the player that receives the foul, pass to other player inmediatly and then this scores, is foul or the referer don't have to signal the foul?

lherre said:
Well, and I repeat that rule doesn't exist in basketball, you can ask anyone in Europe, if in NBA exists I don't know, but here NO. But I repeat, I agree with you if the beneficts don't go to the infringer like this example you say maybe you can act like you say but ...

Travelling are travelling in any part of the court. In this case the beneficts goes to the usa player (lebron in this case). Then this is fair for the other team?
No, you're simply wrong. Go to a reffing forum and educate yourself. If games were refereed strictly by the book, you'd have stoppages every time a player's shoelace was in the lane for 3 seconds. Or perhaps games regularly last 12 hours in Europe and you're correct. Which is it?

lherre

Accurate
OpinionatedCyborg said:
No, you're simply wrong. Go to a reffing forum and educate yourself. If games were refereed strictly by the book, you'd have stoppages every time a player's shoelace was in the lane for 3 seconds. Or perhaps games regularly last 12 hours in Europe and you're correct. Which is it?

but, men, in this case the infringer is the only benefict !!!! You don't see this??

You commit travelling (in any part of the court) and benefits the other team if the referer doesn't say nothing??

You are saying this?

You see any FIBA basketball? Euroleague maybe? In Europe ALL the travellings are a violation and the referers make his job.

lherre said:
but, men, in this case the infringer is the only benefict !!!! You don't see this??

You commit travelling (in any part of the court) and benefits the other team if the referer doesn't say nothing??

You are saying this?

You see any FIBA basketball? Euroleague maybe? In Europe ALL the travellings are a violation and the referers make his job.
An explicit example of advantage/disadvantage in the FIBA rulebook:
(Rule 47.3):
When deciding on a personal contact or violation, the officials shall, in each instance, have regard to and weigh the following fundamental principles:
• The spirit and intent of the rules and the need to uphold the integrity of the game.
• Consistency in the application of the concept of 'advantage/disadvantage', whereby the officials should not seek to interrupt the flow of the game unnecessarily in order to penalise personal contact that is incidental and which does not give the player responsible an advantage nor place his opponent at a disadvantage.
• Consistency in the application of common sense to each game, bearing in mind the abilities of the players concerned and their attitude and conduct during the game.
• Consistency in the maintenance of a balance between game control and game flow, having a 'feeling' for what the participants are trying to do and calling what is right for the game
This is how the game is reffed. Now you know.

edit: here's a link to the rules so you can read them yourself
http://www.fiba.com/asp_includes/download.asp?file_id=328

Nolan.

chickensoup said:
Press the red button :)

I'm recording it :/. Seriously though they were commenting on how the director was saying apart from Korea no one in the rest of the world can create a ceremony like China. Mainly because the participants are like computers and never ask questions etc, to which they were commenting ''I think that's brilliant'' or something like it. There were other things too but anyway i'll just watch.

Why oh why did people vote Boris johnson in as mayor, he just doesn't ...ugh.

Lol the flag got tangled.

lherre

Accurate
But I repeat, who has the benefict in this play?? (lebron james?) USA or the other team if the referer don't say nothing)

(Rule 47.3):
When deciding on a personal contact or violation, the officials shall, in each instance, have regard to and weigh the following fundamental principles:
• The spirit and intent of the rules and the need to uphold the integrity of the game.
• Consistency in the application of the concept of 'advantage/disadvantage', whereby the officials should not seek to interrupt the flow of the game unnecessarily in order to penalise personal contact that is incidental and which does not give the player responsible an advantage nor place his opponent at a disadvantage.
• Consistency in the application of common sense to each game, bearing in mind the abilities of the players concerned and their attitude and conduct during the game.
• Consistency in the maintenance of a balance between game control and game flow, having a 'feeling' for what the participants are trying to do and calling what is right for the game

This is applied to personal fouls mainly, to not interrupt the game.

When you commit travelling you have an advantage, always, if you can't see this, I can't say more to convince you.

Well I go to see F1, when I have more images, I'll speak with you again. See you later.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nolan. said:
I'm recording it :/. Seriously though they were commenting on how the director was saying apart from Korea no one in the rest of the world can create a ceremony like China. Mainly because the participants are like computers and never ask questions etc, to which they were commenting ''I think that's brilliant'' or something like it. There were other things too but anyway i'll just watch.

Why oh why did people vote Boris johnson in as mayor, he just doesn't ...ugh.

Lol the flag got tangled.

Boris is hamming it up hardcore, he's acting like he's never been overseas before, lol. I can't wait for the England Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom