• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, as a sabre fencer, I have to apologize for the women's sabre fencing that was shown.

Women's sabre is a very young sport (which is part of the reason that the US women are so dominant -- they spearheaded the sport, being coached by former European fencers).

To me, it's not comparable to a men's sabre bout, which is much clearer*, more active, and generally fun to watch. You can see a pretty good one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7Qrf3xsXI

* "clearer" is a relative term because as I've said in another thread, fencing is a very arbitrary sport -- the rules are not really related to swordfighting. You're still going to see yelling, fist pumping, and fencers trying to influence the referee. But overall it's a much more developed sport than the women's variety.

Again, I apologize -- the women's sabre event was just horrible to watch (and hear), for fencers and non-fencers alike.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Karakand said:
Ah Lee is playing for us, no wonder. (Watched her get knocked the fuck out by Rice (CAN) in singles competition the other night.)
Lee VS Rice was a pretty tight game though. I almost thought Rice was gonna lose in the third round :O

Karakand

Battersea Power Station said:
By the way, as a sabre fencer, I have to apologize for the women's sabre fencing that was shown.

Women's sabre is a very young sport (which is part of the reason that the US women are so dominant -- they spearheaded the sport, being coached by former European fencers).

To me, it's not comparable to a men's sabre bout, which is much clearer*, more active, and generally fun to watch. You can see a pretty good one here:

* "clearer" is a relative term because as I've said in another thread, fencing is a very arbitrary sport -- the rules are not really related to swordfighting. You're still going to see yelling, fist pumping, and fencers trying to influence the referee. But overall it's a much more developed sport than the women's variety.

Again, I apologize -- the women's sabre event was just horrible to watch (and hear), for fencers and non-fencers alike.
I am really, really looking forward to watching the men's fencing competitions. I understand the women's competition was "inferior" but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Karakand said:
I am really, really looking forward to watching the men's fencing competitions. I understand the women's competition was "inferior" but I still enjoyed it a lot.
There are three categories of fencing: foil, epee, sabre. "Inferior" really is most applicable to sabre, because the types of movements required from an athlete are better suited to a male physique (center of gravity and all that).
Lonestar said:
isn't Men's on now....I see "Epee"...not knowing if that's a different form of Fencing.
Yeah, epee is a lot simpler to watch than sabre: there are no "right of way" rules, which I can explain to you if you'd like, so it's all about who hits whom first.

You can only score with the tip and the whole body is target. Of course, I fence sabre so I'm obliged to tell you epee is less interesting. Nah, your enjoyment level totally depends on what you seek from the sport.

Gigglepoo

Karakand said:
Olympic boxing is sooooo bad.

My favorite part of the Olympics are the crazy sports that aren't televised at any other time. Boxing and tennis are exponentially more boring when they prevent me from seeing a rousing game of handball.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There are three categories of fencing: foil, epee, sabre. "Inferior" really is most applicable to sabre, because the types of movements required from an athlete are better suited to a male physique (center of gravity and all that).Yeah, epee is a lot simpler to watch than sabre: there are no "right of way" rules, which I can explain to you if you'd like, so it's all about who hits whom first.

You can only score with the tip and the whole body is target. Of course, I fence sabre so I'm obliged to tell you epee is less interesting. Nah, your enjoyment level totally depends on what you seek from the sport.

So, Epee is the wee tiny "rod" that you just try to tip an opponent. I can see the floor has lines and bolded areas, which I assume there are rules that match those lines (safe failback zone?)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

There was some moments of nice footwork displayed in the final.

The thing that bothered me was the way the gold medal winner just threw her saber to the ground when she was finished. It may be silly, but I'd never treat my sword that way.

Karakand

Gigglepoo said:
My favorite part of the Olympics are the crazy sports that aren't televised at any other time. Boxing and tennis are exponentially more boring when they prevent me from seeing a rousing game of handball.
The scoring is just awful. It's basically fencing scoring, which while great for fencing, is awful in boxing.

The Beeb just showed the replay of Phelps' World Record. That was an awesome swim. You have to wonder how much quicker he could have gone if he wasn't holding back to aim for the other golds. With form like that, you have to assume that he might manage it this time.

Lonestar said:
So, Epee is the wee tiny "rod" that you just try to tip an opponent. I can see the floor has lines and bolded areas, which I assume there are rules that match those lines (safe failback zone?)
All the physical weapons are the same length. Epee actually has the heaviest/thickest blade (foil is the lightest). And, yeah, epee is a thrusting weapon so you have to hit with the point in order to score. Foil is also.

The differently colored areas are the last 2 meters of the strip. They're just "bolded" to warn the fencers and the referee that the end of the strip is approaching. The area after the "bolded" section is actually already "off the strip," or out of bounds. If you retreat behind the line (completely behind with both feet), you lose the point.

I guess they must be between rounds because they're just waiting.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
watching basketball on 2 channels on tv
Waiting for Manu to implode.

Failboating, Tennis, Judo, and Fencing online

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Schortsaidis is playing? He looks like a tank (according to our comentator, he weighs around 160 kg)

Lonestar

awww...I don't know the joke behind PEW PEW PEW...or can't remember it.

USA up by 2 in volleyball. TIME TO KICK ITZ IN GEARZ

There is a live Men's Epee going on. The streaming, while cool, is kind of hard to follow what is "live"

Now, USA up by 3.

So... basically all of us on the West coast will never see any live coverage of the Olympics? Thanks NBC.

It was great seeing Bob Costas in Tinamens Square proclaiming the coverage was live with the "Live" logo on the upper corner of the screen even though the footage was 3 hours old. It seems like only Eastern people are getting any kind of live footage. This sucks.

It also means I'll have to ignore this thread because you guys are commenting on events that are 3 hours into the future for me. Fantastic.

How are other west coasters are dealing with this?

Karakand

Lonestar said:
awww...I don't know the joke behind PEW PEW PEW...or can't remember it.
Pau Gasol did something good once in an NBA game when he first came to the lakers and I posted a lolcat picture that said PEW PEW PEW.

On that day, a nickname was born. *sheds tear*

Karakand

The Chosen One said:
It also means I'll have to ignore this thread because you guys are commenting on events that are 3 hours into the future for me. Fantastic.

The only thing that really bugs me is that I can't stream television events on nbcolympics.com. Spoilers I couldn't really give two shits about... if it's a good competition the outcome is irrelevant to my entertainment.

The Chosen One said:
So... basically all of us on the West coast will never see any live coverage of the Olympics? Thanks NBC.

It was great seeing Bob Costas in Tinamens Square proclaiming the coverage was live with the "Live" logo on the upper corner of the screen even though the footage was 3 hours old. It seems like only Eastern people are getting any kind of live footage. This sucks.

Yes this sucks. NBC is delayed but I'm getting live feeds on the new hd basketball and soccer channels whenever a game is on. and USA is showing basketball right now, live.

Lonestar

Kara:

That would explain why I didn't see Volleyball on my tv.

USA is now showing a basketball game (that the one you were talking about? Spain/Greece?

Chris R

aznpxdd said:
Wait, they are broadcasting it live for West Coast too at 7 AM right? I'm gonna be fuckin' pissed if its not live.
not showing up as live here :(

but basically everything on tv that ISNT on NBC will be live. So USA/CNBC/MSNBC/ect have live shit.

So stupid for NBC to do this though, they do have time to make it right, LIVE for everyone! screw the time difference, football games are live for everyone...

Desi

bean breath said:
Yes this sucks. NBC is delayed but I'm getting live feeds on the new hd basketball and soccer channels whenever a game is on. and USA is showing basketball right now, live.
at first i thought you were talking about the US team. Then I remembered the channel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom