• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

I'm not denying that Ackley could be a great player. But we're talking about a pretty small sample size to base Ackley's career on--remember Francoeur? The reality is, TJ surgery has a really high success rate, and your team somehow managed to fail to tank its way to arguably the best pitching prospect ever. I'm not complaining, mind, and I understand the mindset for an offense-starved team like the Mariners, but it was still a bizarre set of circumstances.

Macattk15

Sharp said:
I'm not denying that Ackley could be a great player. But we're talking about a pretty small sample size to base Ackley's career on--remember Francoeur? The reality is, TJ surgery has a really high success rate, and your team somehow managed to fail to tank its way to arguably the best pitching prospect ever. I'm not complaining, mind, and I understand the mindset for an offense-starved team like the Mariners, but it was still a bizarre set of circumstances.

Did you really just compare Ackley to fucking Jeff Francouer? Have you ever watched him at the plate.

Christ.

Sharp

Macattk15 said:
Did you really just compare Ackley to fucking Jeff Francouer? Have you ever watched him at the plate.

Christ.
I was using it as an example of why small sample sizes can be misleading. If you want a more recent example, Heyward was awesome his rookie year and this year he blows. I'd say that's a fairly comparable situation. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to have true talent worse than what he's illustrating now--far from it--just pointing out that the possibility is there, just as you are pointing out that Strasburg's arm could fall off at any moment.

rando14

Sharp said:

Likewise, I'm not saying Strasburg can't be a great player. Like you said, M's are hurting for offense and so far Ackley has really impressed us, with timely hits and very solid hitting stats. Of course, both players could turn out fantastic or mediocre, no one can say. It's just that right now, we're really happy with Ackley.

Don't think anyone's forgotten Strasburg's 14 K premier. :p

Cathcart

Phillies steal a win from the Rockies and put another one between them and the Braves. Sweet.

Losing 40 games is for chumps!

Macattk15

Sharp said:
I was using it as an example of why small sample sizes can be misleading. If you want a more recent example, Heyward was awesome his rookie year and this year he blows. I'd say that's a fairly comparable situation. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to have true talent worse than what he's illustrating now--far from it--just pointing out that the possibility is there, just as you are pointing out that Strasburg's arm could fall off at any moment.

I'm just saying ... everyone at the time of the draft was all like "oh wowwww you didn't get Strasburg and you guys got stuck with Ackley sucks to be you".

Its nice to see him living up to the expectations of him as a high average, line drive hitter. Yes its unfortunate we did not get Strasburg ... but its not a bad thing we have Ackley.

Watching his approach at the plate gives me supreme confidence he isn't a flash in the pan.

His 0-2 average is like over .400 ....

dmag1223

Fun facts about the 2011 Reds!

1. They now have 11 walk off loses. This leads the mlb. This constitutes 20% of all reds loses.

2. They are 16-25 in one run games. This is last in mlb. This constitutes 45% of all reds loses.

3. They have outscored their opponents by 39 runs, which is 4th in the NL, and 7th in all of baseball. Despite this fact, They have a 53-56 record, which is good for 9th in the NL, and tied for 16th in baseball.

4. They just lost to an AA team.

Most depressing season I've had following this team in all my years as a reds fan. Damn, I need a drink.

darkside31337 said:
You guys are freaking nuts if you think Ackley will be even in the same realm as Strasburg when its all said and done.

Also DBacks still getting absolutely no respect. They'll be 1 game out if they hold on tonight.

Any team that attempts to keep Brian Wilson out of the national spotlight he so badly craves fully deserves my respect. Go D-Backs!

When It rain it poors . Rubby be done for a year..There goes some of the future.

e: Trumbo making this ROY close now....Plus Texas/Angels getting closer to the wild card than expected

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
DaveTheSnake said:
Enjoy the view while you can Atlanta, it's only going to get more and more distant!
likeaross.gif

cashman

Banned
Big fan of the moves JD made over the deadline. Losing erlin and weiland really hurts, Daniels just turned our biggest weakness into a strength.

In a few years erlin is going to make this trade look bad by donating petco.

Dragon

Banned
Is there precedent to release a pitcher with four years remaining on his contract? I mean Lackey is so bad that I'd rather have Andrew Miller pitching in his spot. Instead they move Miller to the bullpen where his awful command will show up in blowouts.

eznark

Banned
Sharp said:

Strasburg has appeared in 12 major league games and you guys have him in the Hall. I don't see why Mariners fans should react any differently.

eznark

Banned
Y2Kev said:
How did the manager of Craig counsel let him have 46 at bats?

Because the general manager has given him no better option. McGehee is fucking atrocious, Betancourt is a hack defensively, Weeks is hurt.

I don't blame Counsell or Roenicke, this shit is squarely on Doug Melvin.

eznark

Banned
Offseason moves that comparison by WAR:

Nyjer Morgan: 2.4

Zack Greinke: 2.2

Jayson Werth: 1.3 (for lulz)

Alcides Escobar: 1.4

Jeremy Jeffress: 0.0 Demoted, whereabouts unknown

Lorenzo Cain: AAA

Jake Odoruzzi: Struggling in 6 AA starts since getting promoted

There was a tooooon of crowing from Royals fans (shocking they have all disappeared) about the Greinke trade. Even yesterday some chucklehead was tweeting about the "hack pitcher" the Brewers took for the "amazing gold glove shortstop."

People are dumb.

Macattk15

sf2fanatic said:
e: Trumbo making this ROY close now....Plus Texas/Angels getting closer to the wild card than expected

Ackley has been worth more than Trumbo has in 1/3rd the time.

Pineda is heads and tails above Trumbo.

You can't be serious?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yankeehater said:
Why last year Phils were down right around 7 games at the start of August, and they still came back to win.
Well when half the phillies roster goes on the DL like the braves last year, then yeah we might have a chance.

Doytch

Macattk15 said:
Ackley has been worth more than Trumbo has in 1/3rd the time.

Pineda is heads and tails above Trumbo.

You can't be serious?
Screw all these kids, Aaron Cibia's a catcher, he's hit 17 home runs, driven in 49, and is named after a Pope.
CajoleJuice said:
http://somewhatmanlynerd.com/pics/pedoroia.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
OK Dave Cameron, how about using a site that isn't full of nerds! All hail Baseball Reference!

Macattk15

clemenx said:
No, no for this column he just posted, you were arguing this last night!
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ackley-or-strasburg/

I agree the ROY will most likely come from seattle, unless Desmond Jennings hits .400 or something.

Oh. I don't read much on Fangraphs ... did not see that article. I wasn't really arguing it last night ... I'm just really enjoying Ackley and was mentioning he was more than a consolation prize in the Strasburg sweepstakes (so far).

I shall now read this piece by Mr. Cameron.

dmag1223

darkside31337 said:
It's really that simple.

That and the pitching is pretty terrible.
The pitching isn't really terrible, (sans Arroyo and Volquez). They just play in a fucking bank vault in Cincinnati. Their batting average against is just .250, which is 5th in the NL. But they have given up 114 Home Runs, Which second to last behind Houston.

And yes Dusty Baker is a moron, but I don't really believe a manager makes that much of a difference.

Windu said:
Well when half the phillies roster goes on the DL like the braves last year, then yeah we might have a chance.

Really? Howard went on the DL on August 3rd last year, and was the 15th player to do so that year. Even when he came back he wasn't 100%. This is including a lot of time missed by Utley, Rollins, Polanco, Victorino, and Ruiz. They survived and even came back from a 7 game deficit based on the strength of their starting rotation, which the Braves also have. NO EXCUSES

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
CC Sabathia since June 25:

8 GS, 62.2 IP (7.83 IP/GS), 7-1, 1.01 ERA, .189 BAA (.285 BABIP), .503 OPS, 0.91 WHIP, 11.2 K/9, 4.88 K/BB.

On pace for 24 wins and 245 strikeouts.

Haters... they gon' hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom