• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macattk15 said:
For speaking the truth? Who else in the AL is worthy of ROY over Pineda as of right now? Certainly it is not Mark fucking Trumbo.

I still think its close in the ROY. Trumbo smashed on Pineda the last time they faced each other and Pineda is sort of cooling off. As far as Ackley, I drafted him in my propect pool so I knew he had talent but coudnt resist an offer I got for him this year in my keeper league. Traded him and Ethier for Mauer and a Pick(Which ended up drafting Deck McGuire this year).

Macattk15

sf2fanatic said:
I still think its close in the ROY. Trumbo smashed on Pineda the last time they faced each other and Pineda is sort of cooling off. As far as Ackley, I drafted him in my propect pool so I knew he had talent but coudnt resist an offer I got for him this year in my keeper league. Traded him and Ethier for Mauer and a Pick(Which ended up drafting Deck McGuire this year).

What is your infatuation with sub .300 OBP strikeout machine Mark Trumbo? Just because he has 19 HR? I just don't see what is special about him. He is no Kendry Morales.

Macattk15 said:
What is your infatuation with sub .300 OBP strikeout machine Mark Trumbo? Just because he has 19 HR? I just don't see what is special about him. He is no Kendry Morales.

Hes gonna be the future..Kendrys is gone...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Randall Delgado promoted to AAA. awesomeness. Minor, Teheran, Vizcaino and now Delgado are all in Gwinnett. Or the four horsemen of the Pitchpocalypse as talking chop likes to call them.
ThingontheFloor said:
Really? Howard went on the DL on August 3rd last year, and was the 15th player to do so that year. Even when he came back he wasn't 100%. This is including a lot of time missed by Utley, Rollins, Polanco, Victorino, and Ruiz. They survived and even came back from a 7 game deficit based on the strength of their starting rotation, which the Braves also have. NO EXCUSES
well anyway, the braves are not winning the division. Not when the phillies have 3 of the top 4 pitchers in the league.

Corran Horn said:
likeaross.gif

Touche'.

That team scares the shit out of me, especially in a 7 game series, and after they took 2 of 3 last week. The Phillies use to destroy both Cain and Lincecum, but the tables have turned.

Does Pat Burrell even play for the Giants anymore? Last I heard was that he might go on waivers...

Cathcart

Yeah, the Giants are a tough matchup for the Phils. I'd even be worried about the Brewers in a five game series if the Phils bats cool off like they did last year. It's gonna be some good playoffs.

Macattk15

sf2fanatic said:
They also drafted a 1b his year(Cron)..Also maybe outside chance in "The Machine" sweepstakes.

Yeah that Cron guy looks like he could be good .... we, the M's, drafted his younger brother who has not yet gone to college.

bluemax

Banned
sf2fanatic said:

Good thing the ROTY award isn't based on head to head performance!

Pineda 2.7 fWAR
Ackley 1.9 fWAR
Trumbo 1.6 fWAR

Ackley has produced more WAR than Trumbo in ONE THIRD as many games.

Trumbo does get knocked pretty hard for being a first baseman, but still.

Sharp said:
I was using it as an example of why small sample sizes can be misleading. If you want a more recent example, Heyward was awesome his rookie year and this year he blows. I'd say that's a fairly comparable situation. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to have true talent worse than what he's illustrating now--far from it--just pointing out that the possibility is there, just as you are pointing out that Strasburg's arm could fall off at any moment.

This is silly. Ackley is a different type of hitter from Francouer or Heyward. Ackley has way better plate discipline than either of those guys.

Ackley won't ever hit 40 home runs, but he probably won't ever strike out in 20% of his ABs either.

Dragon

Banned
bluemax said:
Good thing the ROTY award isn't based on head to head performance!

Pineda 2.7 fWAR
Ackley 1.9 fWAR
Trumbo 1.6 fWAR

Ackley has produced more WAR than Trumbo in ONE THIRD as many games.

Trumbo does get knocked pretty hard for being a first baseman, but still.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ROTY isn't based off WAR either. It's based on stupid baseball writers. So is the debate who is going to win or who should win?

eznark

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ROTY isn't based off WAR either. It's based on stupid baseball writers. So is the debate who is going to win or who should win?

Whoever has the most home runs/wins will win the ROY obviously.

bluemax

Banned
TheBranca18 said:

You are correct. The writers have been getting better though. I mean Felix and Zach Greinke both won Cy Young awards!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
DaveTheSnake said:
Touche'.

That team scares the shit out of me, especially in a 7 game series, and after they took 2 of 3 last week. The Phillies use to destroy both Cain and Lincecum, but the tables have turned.

Does Pat Burrell even play for the Giants anymore? Last I heard was that he might go on waivers...
He is on the DL but I wouldnt be surprised if he goes on waivers, no room on OF for him unless he wants to be mr PH

Dragon

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
I missed this -- what'd I do?

That Bautista/Pedroia GIF unnerved him. There's simply no way they're the same value, which makes me highly question that 14.6 fielding number for Pedroia.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Strasburg's return is approaching. Minor league start within a week to ten days, and he just pitched his second simulated game against GCL players. None of them hit a ball out of the infield.

Jordan Zimmermann had a great game last Fall coming off Tommy John, so I have high hopes for his return. Might pitch in the Bigs early September.

Macattk15

TheBranca18 said:

They convinced me they weren't as stupid as I had thought when they gave Felix his deserved Cy Young.

Windu

#Braves lineup: 1. Bourn CF, 2. Prado LF, 3. Freeman 1B, 4. Uggla 2B, 5. Gonzalez SS, 6. Conrad 3B, 7. Ross C, 8. Constanza RF, 9. Lowe P
Fire Fredi Gonzalez please. I've had enough of this idiot.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Gonzalez batting 5th = lol.
not to mention conrad playing third with a sinkerballer on the mound instead of prado who is great defensively and Constanza over Heyward.

Not going to lie. I like Constanza better than Heyward right now. Heyward is pure garbage this season. Freeman is miles ahead of him in terms of development.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Not going to lie. I like Constanza better than Heyward right now. Heyward is pure garbage this season. Freeman is miles ahead of him in terms of development.
sounds like a lie to me.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Jered Weaver suspended 6 games for throwing at Alex Avila
What a chump. Missing a start might throw him off his rhythm and bring him back down to earth, which would allow Verlander to run away with the Cy Young. All because he just HAD to defend his team's honor.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Jered Weaver suspended 6 games for throwing at Alex Avila.

Gonzalez batting 5th = lol.

Guillen gets crap for showboating? Must be nice....Hes appealing. It be reduced to 4 so maybe doesnt have to miss a start

ConradCervantes said:
What a chump. Missing a start might throw him off his rhythm and bring him back down to earth, which would allow Verlander to run away with the Cy Young. All because he just HAD to defend his team's honor.

Prince did that too..Thats why Mota wont get near a couple of states near him...LOL

Sanjuro

ConradCervantes said:
eh, he looked more like a punk than defending his team's honor.

sf2fanatic said:
Guillen gets crap for showboating? Must be nice....Hes appealing. It be reduced to 4 so maybe doesnt have to miss a start
This isn't the NFL. You aren't going to be suspended for walking slowly to your base.

Sanjuro

I mean I don't hate Weaver, he just had a bad day and embarrassed himself by acting like a little twat. Lesson learned. Move on.

I would kill for Lackey to do this and get suspended for the remainder of the season.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Honestly, Weaver started the bullshit by yelling at Ordonez. Ordonez stood at the plate watching if the ball would go foul.
This. Ordonez was not showboating anybody. What Guillen did ok, but Ordonez was making sure it stood fair. He himself said he wanted to make sure he hasn't been hitting homers lately.

Windu

DevelopmentArrested said:
Craig Counsell's hit chart:

tumblr_lpacawjBJk1qbc6b5o1_500.png

I cannot believe a team running out Yuniesky Betancourt and Casey McGehee on the left side of the infield is going to make the playoffs.
i have a feeling the cardinals are going to catch them. But that has got to be one of the worst infield defenses of all time.

Ditto. Cards have a much more complete team then they used to by getting Furcal, I think once the pitching settles down they'll win the division.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't. Think the Brewers end up running away with the division easily.

They have a better lineup and better pitching. They will win in spite of the worst infield defense of all time.

"I couldn't believe that they turned it," Greinke said. "That was real nice."

That was a real quote from last night's recap (in reference to the Brewers actually turning a double play). Greinke obviously knows how much he's been screwed by his pathetic "defense".

Also Rafael Furcal, really? Guy is freaking awful. Yes he's an upgrade over the scrubs they were throwing out there before, but I'd honestly rather have Yuni.

Merts and Dave Hudgens conducted special BP today and focus on the Mets getting too pull happy. Keith Hernandez reported though everyone took part, the main guy they focused on was Angel Pagan. Why am I not surprised? For some reason guy got in his head he's a Hr hitter and tries to yank everything. As a result he flies open lefty and is just abysmal hitting righty, which he is batting today.
darkside31337 said:
Also Rafael Furcal, really? Guy is freaking awful. Yes he's an upgrade over the scrubs they were throwing out there before, but I'd honestly rather have Yuni.
Did you see the scrubs they had at SS before? Theriot? DeScalo? I mean I know Furcal isn't much but he represents a HUGE upgrade in comparison and at least is the most legit leadoff guy they'd had since Eckstein.
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Greinke, Gallardo, and Marcum. The reason they win the division.
3.5 game lead with what, 6 more games head-to-head? Too early to crown them.
jakncoke said:
lol no way we win this. we'll be .500, funny how shit changes in a matter of a week.
Should've traded for Beltran!

skip

La Russa thinks the Brewers are cheating:

Apparently, the Cardinals were unhappy about lighting inconsistencies with the ribbon board that surrounds the stands above the loge level. The insinuation was that the home plate area was darker when they were batting than when the Brewers were btting.

Darling confirmed to a reporter that the Cardinals complained about the lighting but said nothing was changed. He said no edict was issued to make any adjustments to the lighting.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Did you see the scrubs they had at SS before? Theriot? DeScalo? I mean I know Furcal isn't much but he represents a HUGE upgrade in comparison and at least is the most legit leadoff guy they'd had since Eckstein.

He has a .274 OBP. Hitting him anywhere other than at the bottom of the lineup is insane. Unless you're confident that his awful play this year isn't just because of eroding skills but was due to various circumstances like playing in the circus that was LA and that he wasn't healthy before but is now healthy and ready to go.

eznark

Banned
Cards have plenty of time to catch them, plenty of head to head games. As good as the Brewers look now...they go on the road this weekend.

At said, I think the Braves are going to be the team on the outside looking in at the end of the year.

I like that LaRussa is now confirming that he drinks during games as well as while driving home.

jakncoke

Banned
The Frankman said:
Merts and Dave Hudgens conducted special BP today and focus on the Mets getting too pull happy. Keith Hernandez reported though everyone took part, the main guy they focused on was Angel Pagan. Why am I not surprised? For some reason guy got in his head he's a Hr hitter and tries to yank everything. As a result he flies open lefty and is just abysmal hitting righty, which he is batting today.

3.5 game lead with what, 6 more games head-to-head? Too early to crown them.

Should've traded for Beltran!

We tried. He told us to fuck off lol

Fenix

Jays-GAF/Rogers customers: You can watch Jays games on MLB.tv now, through RogersOnDemand pour gratuit. Can't switch audio or video feed though, so you're stuck with Buck and Pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom