• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
George said:
Grand Slam for Cano!

7GhpE.jpg

Doytch

Hechavarria up to AAA. Have you been ignoring his numbers this year like me and now wonder how he's been doing? Surely well, given the call-up! .235/.275/.347

Awful.

Macattk15

sf2fanatic said:
Hey go prepare for your #2 pick next year behind Houston..:p

Sorry bud. We're not gonna be #2 this year. 4th on the other hand is looking pretttty good.

Its all part of Jack Z's master plan .... YOU JUST WAIT TILL 2014 BRO.

I HATE the Angels.

Mo needs a breather; let Soriano or D-Rob close a game or two so God can get his mind right. He won't blow the save, but still...flashes of mortality are always alarming from him.

Russell Branyan is pretty much designed to hit HRs in Yankee Stadium.

Anyone with power to right will hit HRs there...even drek like Branyan, Cust, Dunn and so on.

D-ROB AND SORI FOR CLOSER UNTIL KC

captmcblack said:
I HATE the Angels.

Mo needs a breather; let Soriano or D-Rob close a game or two so God can get his mind right. He won't blow the save, but still...flashes of mortality are always alarming from him.

That's the last thing Mo wants right now. When he goes through a bad period the best thing to do is keep bringing him out and let him clear his head on the mound.

eznark

Banned
captmcblack said:

Anyone with power to right will hit HRs there...even drek like Branyan, Cust, Dunn and so on.

you ignorant mother fucker!

Branyan4Lyfe

captmcblack said:

Why grandy dont have 50 yet. Or even Tex? :p

BTW Mo's last 3 appearance Ouch!!!!!

captmcblack said:
I HATE the Angels.

God's been closing games for 15 years, I doubt he's psyching himself out now, unless Burnett sneezed on him or something. He's either hurt/tired or it's The Beginning Of The End.

*ominous rumbling*

newjeruse

captmcblack said:

That really doesn't make much sense since those LH power hitters will hit balls that will leave most stadiums in baseball, but strike out a lot so they don't get the benefit of hitting a few cheap fly balls which get out. Yankee Stadium really benefits hitters like Granderson or Cano who are line-drive hitters. Since the new Yankee Stadium opened, Cano is hitting 1 HR every 19 AB at home and 1 in every 27 AB's on the road.

jakncoke

Banned
Reportly we offered Josh Bell record 2nd round money 4.25 bonus. If this turns out true and he passes for Texas then i hope nothing but the worst for him in life at every single corner.

Brewers aim to sweep the Cardinals tonight.

And in such a pivotal game, it totally makes sense to sit Braun down and start Mark Kotsay in his place.

That's right, Mark Kotsay hitting third in the lineup.

Wow.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
jakncoke said:
Reportly we offered Josh Bell record 2nd round money 4.25 bonus. If this turns out true and he passes for Texas then i hope nothing but the worst for him in life at every single corner.

Maybe he just wants to go to school.

Or not live in Pittsburgh. More accurately play for the Pirates.

It's not about the money if he turns that down. Obviously. Because 4.25 is basically what Bauer got at #3 overall.

clemenx

Banned
I'm sorry but that's pretty stupid. Even if I read that money is not exactly a concern for his family it's 4 fucking million. You can buy a lot of "college experiences" with that.

If you're being offered that type of money, it's incredibly stupid not to take it, even if you'll miss the "college experience" and all that jazz.

Edit - Nice work clemenx, I agree with you.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
clemenx said:
I'm sorry but that's pretty stupid. Even if I read that money is not exactly a concern for his family it's 4 fucking million. You can buy a lot of "college experiences" with that.

Honestly it's stupid but I wouldn't hate the guy for it.

The guy can go to college for 3-4 years, get a nice education that will serve him well for life, still get drafted pretty heavily, not lose out on a ton of money and sets himself up for success quicker in MLB.

Some guys would rather take the comforts of college for 3-4 years then have to deal with the grind that is the minor leagues. I can't blame them for that. For some guys the risk of not performing in college or getting injured is worth it, in comparison to being stuck in the minors for half a decade or more.

I never understood why people hate 18-19 year old kids turning down all that money to go to school. It seems so god damn backwards, in any other sport people would be praising the kid but its pretty much just in baseball where fans rip the guy to pieces. Like Yankees fans ripping on Gerrit Cole is just pathetic.

clemenx

Banned
Not hating, is just that most of us who comment on this stuff never have and probably never will be close to having that sort of money and that leads to strong reactions, I guess.
I get those arguments but there's more things that could go wrong IMO, always talking on the baseball matter, what if he flames out? What if hard slotting is implemented? Etc.

But he probably decided it thanks to the Pirates collapse :(

I'm not going to attack the guy's character or anything like that, but I would question his judgement. Being a position player, Bell at least sidesteps some of the concerns about going to college that a pitcher might face. But still, any number of things might happen to diminish his value before he's able to negotiate another contract. Perhaps dramatically so.

Take the 4 million + assurances of paid college tuition and play some baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom