• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I demand a new HR Derbyoff be added to the CBA if the game goes more than 15 innings during the regular season.

This game really never will end.

Buster_ESPN
The two sides have averaged a hit every 53 minutes in this game.

Can't wait till the average is 1 hit per hour.

Sanjuro

darkside31337 said:
I demand a new HR Derbyoff be added to the CBA if the game goes more than 15 innings during the regular season.

This game really never will end.

Buster_ESPN
The two sides have averaged a hit every 53 minutes in this game.

Can't wait till the average is 1 hit per hour.
Rot in hell.

Khalid-S

YESSS
LLShC.gif

Sanjuro

darkside31337 said:
Bullshit is 4 baserunners in 16 innings.

Utterly pathetic.

Joe Maddon is a miracle worker but he can't work with this.
I know. Only Helen Keller would have given him his hair styling tips.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I know. Only Helen Keller would have given him his hair styling tips.

What? Joe Maddon is the most stylish manager in all of the bigs. He only wears a hat to not completely embarrass and shame all his players.

Desmond Jennings went 4-9 this weekend in AAA.

Rays went 3-50 tonight.

You aren't adding salary by replacing Sam Fuld with Jennings. Replace the two already.

Preferably by Tuesday. Got tickets to the Rays / Yanks game.

Sharp

After last night's solo HR, Clippard's LOB% is over 100%. Fangraphs rounds it down to 100 so people don't freak out about the formula, which really needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that we don't actually have to guess how many men were driven in by each HR.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yankees, others talking to Rockies about right-hander Jimenez

The Rockies have been in contact with the Yankees and a few other teams regarding right-handed ace Ubaldo Jimenez.
Sources indicate the Rockies haven't definitely decided to trade the talented starter -- but they do appear to be seriously considering it.
The Yankees are said to match up well as a potential trade partner with the Rockies, who like top hitting prospect Jesus Montero.
The problem is the Rockies are asking for three top Yankees pitching prospects -- Manuel Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Ivan Nova -- along with Montero.

A5Pdq.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
At the very least the Rockies should be asking for the Yankees top 3 prospects. If the Yankees don't want to pay the price, then move on because there is more than likely somebody else who will. And if not, then don't trade him.

Every team in baseball, contending this year or not, could use Ubaldo Jimenez. He has a massively team friendly contract.

Ubaldo Jimenez is what teams aspire to get out of their prospects. Getting high level production for a fraction of the cost.

MetsBlog said:
Carlos Beltran, who who missed his second-straight game with the flu, will likely miss Monday night’s game as well, Terry Collins said yesterday evening.

According to Collins, Beltran got an IV of fluids before yesterday’s game. “He said his body is real sore,” Collins explained. “I’m not sure that he’s gonna be in there (Monday).”
If Beltran starts breaking down now I will cry.
Yesterday, Pedro Beato gave up three walks and three unearned runs in two-thirds of an inning. However, as the New York Post explains, “Collins gave Beato a bit of a break because he had not pitched in over a week.”
One of those writeoff games for Beato, no sweat.
In case you missed it, yesterday in St. Lucie, David Wright went 2 for 4 with a double, walk, run scored and an RBI in a minor league rehab game. Wright was the DH for the entire game, after which he told the St. Lucie News:

"I feel like if I can play a full game I got to be pretty close to full strength. Now it’s just a matter of getting my legs under me and getting some at-bats and my timing back. I felt good. … Tomorrow I think I’ll play nine innings so we’ll see after that The hope that I have is to join the team when they get on the road.”

Meanwhile, yesterday afternoon, Terry Collins told reporters Jose Reyes will rehab with the Brooklyn Cyclones tonight. Collins said he expects Reyes to play just one game for Brooklyn, after which he could rejoin the Mets on Tuesday.

“I feel very good,” Reyes said after running yesterday, according to MLB.com. “I’m happy that I don’t feel anything in my leg, so I was able to test it out with no problems, so that’s a good sign. … I don’t feel sore, I feel normal.”
Reyes back Tuesday/Wednesday and Wright maybe by Monday... sweet.
Terry Collins implied after yesterday’s game that he might start playing Scott Hairston more over Jason Bay, adding, “I’m going to talk with him tomorrow and see how he’s doing, see where he’s at.”
HHSH should be signed longterm. See if Atlanta wants Bay for Uggla.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, “Chip Hale is working with shortstop Ruben Tejada to cut down on fielding errors.”
Tejada one-hands alot of balls, as slick as he is. It's starting to bite him in the ass. Once Reyes and Wright come back it's going to get very interesting at 2nd with Tejada, Turner, and Daniel Murphy around...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
...it's going to get very interesting at 2nd with Tejada, Turner, and Daniel Murphy around...

Why?

Daniel Murphy is the only one of those three with a bat. In his limited time at 2B this year he was more than holding his own, better defensively than Turner. Assuming everybody else gets back Tejada and Turner should be riding the pine or back in the minors until Murphy proves he can't stay at 2B because of his defense.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
If I'm the Rockies, I would do the deal if the Yanks take away either Banuelos or Betances from the deal. Either one with Nova and Montero its a good deal.

I agree with this. Yes right now the Rockies are asking too much, that is how trade negotiations work. They come down a little on the price and come up with a package like that, one that works for both teams and a deal is made. I'm not entirely sure what Yankees fans find laughable about that. Do they expect to get Ubaldo just for the quickly depreciating in value Jesus Montero or something?

darkside31337 said:
At the very least the Rockies should be asking for the Yankees top 3 prospects. If the Yankees don't want to pay the price, then move on because there is more than likely somebody else who will. And if not, then don't trade him.

Every team in baseball, contending this year or not, could use Ubaldo Jimenez. He has a massively team friendly contract.

Ubaldo Jimenez is what teams aspire to get out of their prospects. Getting high level production for a fraction of the cost.
If I'm the Rockies, I would do the deal if the Yanks take away either Banuelos or Betances from the deal. Either one with Nova and Montero its a good deal.

darkside31337 said:
Why?

Daniel Murphy is the only one of those three with a bat. In his limited time at 2B this year he was more than holding his own, better defensively than Turner. Assuming everybody else gets back Tejada and Turner should be riding the pine or back in the minors until Murphy proves he can't stay at 2B because of his defense.
Turner has been a revelation as his approach fits well with Hudgens' philosophy. He takes the ball the other way, rarely strikes out, and was one of the teams' most clutch bats. Not to mention before the thumb injury (which is going to bother him until the offseason) Turner was the Mets 3rd hottest bat behind Reyes and Beltran. Ruben Tejada has been called the SS/2B of the future, they're not going to have him sit for a prolonged time unless they send him back down. And considering Tejada's D I don't think the Mets are willing to do that. More likely I can see Murphy getting pigeonholed at 1B as Tejada/Turner platoon at 2nd, and on an off day Turner plays 3rd. Then that means what happens to Lucas Duda?

Really it's all speculation that can't be answered until Reyes AND Wright come back, or someone is traded. It's interesting speculation though.

verbum

Chicago White Sox designated hitter Adam Dunn struck out for the 122nd time this season on Sunday. He's on pace for 208, 15 shy of Mark Reynolds' major league record in 2009.

That doesn't seem to bother manager Ozzie Guillen, who won't bench his slugger.

"I will sit him down if he's not helping the ballclub, but not because of a mark," said Guillen after Sunday's game. "Not at all, no. (If) we need him to take a break and give somebody a chance, I will do it.

"I'm not a stats person. I don't read papers. I don't. The only thing I read is when (bench coach) Joey Cora says, 'You better read this.' That's the only time I touch the papers. I don't sit down with stats and with this guy does this or that. I get help from my coaches."

Dunn has struggled in his first season with White Sox after signing a 4-year, $56 million contract in the offseason. He is hitting a paltry .159, 107 points below his career average. In fact, Dunn's average is 20 points below the worst qualifying batting average in the live-ball era. Rob Deer holds that distinction with his .179 average in 1991.

Said Guillen: "Every time Dunn or (Alex) Rios is there, I feel like they have a chance. But it's not what I feel. It's how they feel."

For Dunn, that could be a bad thing.

How's that working for you Mr. Guillen?
I wonder if Dunn can break the record. He has a manger who will enable him.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/07/guillen-wont-protect-adam-dunn-just-to-avoid-strikeout-record/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom