• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Sharp said:
Not clutch enough to get the win for Cliff Lee.
He tried to make the catch at the wall. His limited range at first prevented him from catching the ball along the left field fence. I'll admit a 25 million dollar player should make that catch.

Sharp

Branduil said:
You mean after losing the two most important games of his Rangers career?
And previous to that, pretty much singlehandedly taking them to the World Series... it's your all-or-nothing attitude that makes this a difficult concept for you. Dirk sucked in one or two games this postseason too.

Yeah, but Dirk won.

Cliff Lee lost versus the Giants. Cliff Lee wasn't awesome enough to stop the Yankees from winning the year before.

But at least he's worth Justin Smoak!

JABEE

captmcblack said:
Yeah, but Dirk won.

Cliff Lee lost versus the Giants. Cliff Lee wasn't awesome enough to stop the Yankees from winning the year before.

But at least he's worth Justin Smoak!
Cliff Lee can't pitch every game of the playoffs. The only two games the Phillies won against the 09 Yankees were the two games Cliff Lee pitched in.

Branduil

Sharp said:
And previous to that, pretty much singlehandedly taking them to the World Series... it's your all-or-nothing attitude that makes this a difficult concept for you. Dirk sucked in one or two games this postseason too.
Lebron is a much better comparison for Cliff.

And singlehandedly? Not really. He's probably the main reason they won the series against the Rays, but he only pitched one game against the Yankees and the Rangers already has the momentum in that series. The World Series, well, we all know what happened there. And what his response afterwards was.

Sharp

Branduil said:

And singlehandedly? Not really. He's probably the main reason they won the series against the Rays, but he only pitched one game against the Yankees and the Rangers already has the momentum in that series. The World Series, well, we all know what happened there. And what his response afterwards was.
We've tried explaining DIPS to you, right? But you just didn't get it?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Branduil said:

NKtRA.gif

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Branduil

Sharp said:
We've tried explaining DIPS to you, right? But you just didn't get it?
If I understood it, would that change history and make Cliff Lee win when it matters?

He's a good pitcher, but he's not an ace.

Sharp

Branduil said:
If I understood it, would that change history and make Cliff Lee win when it matters?
No, but it would probably help you understand that even the very best pitchers can't control everything that happens in a game, which means you're going to have a few bad ones no matter how great you are.
By any and all objective standards, Cliff Lee is a top five pitcher in baseball. Outside of your head, that is generally considered an ace.

Doytch

Branduil said:

Can you spare everyone the trauma of having to put up with your colossal fucktardedness for another month-and-change this year? It'd be really humane of you.

Branduil

Sharp said:
No, but it would probably help you understand that even the very best pitchers can't control everything that happens in a game, which means you're going to have a few bad ones no matter how great you are.

I could buy that if he had one bad game in the series. But he had two in a row.

By any and all objective standards, Cliff Lee is a top five pitcher in baseball. Outside of your head, that is generally considered an ace.

Well, aces are generally supposed to win against other top pitchers when it really matters.

Of course it doesn't matter much now that he's on a team with real aces, so he doesn't have to face that pressure.

Branduil

AnEternalEnigma said:
LOL. Seriously? A Rangers fan bitching about Cliff Lee?

If it weren't for him, the Rays would have beat your ass in the first round.
Some of us have higher standards than winning in the first round of the playoffs. I probably would have forgiven him if he stuck around, but he decided to run away to a team where he'd face no pressure.

Doytch

clemenx said:
I'll be rooting for a CJ Wilson meltdown in the postseason, this Branduil nonsense is too much fun.
Postseason? Let's go Angels! The less garbage I have to put up with from this idiot the better.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Branduil said:
Some of us have higher standards than winning in the first round of the playoffs. I probably would have forgiven him if he stuck around, but he decided to run away to a team where he'd face no pressure.

Are you a Yankees fan? Or a lifelong Phillies fan of a couple years?

If not then that standard is utterly absurd.

Doytch

darkside31337 said:

Well he doesn't understand baseball so I can see where you might get that idea...

darkside31337 said:
You know you really hate somebody when you would rather root for Mike Scioscia
Is more like it.

hemtae

Branduil said:
I could buy that if he had one bad game in the series. But he had two in a row.

Well, aces are generally supposed to win against other top pitchers when it really matters.

Of course it doesn't matter much now that he's on a team with real aces, so he doesn't have to face that pressure.

Game 5 wasn't a "bad game".

Also Cliff Lee has been just as good as Cole Hamels this year and 2010 Roy Halladay so he's pretty much a "real ace"

Sharp

Branduil said:
How many aces have an ERA of 7 in a World Series? That's all I want to know.
I don't think that Cliff Lee's World Series ERA is 7, Brandy. But even if it were the answer is probably a much higher number than you think.

Branduil

darkside31337 said:

Nothing absurd about it. You should never treat your team like a pee-wee club, even if they play like it. Why would anyone cheer for their team to just get into the playoffs? I'm glad I don't have such low standards so I can appreciate it when my team actually does win it all.

Sharp

Branduil said:
Nothing absurd about it. You should never treat your team like a pee-wee club, even if they play like it. Why would anyone cheer for their team to just get into the playoffs? I'm glad I don't have such low standards so I can appreciate it when my team actually does win it all.
If by "appreciate it" you mean "bandwagon the opposing teams until they lose and then pretend I was rooting for my home team all along," then yeah, I don't think anyone does it quite as well as you.

Branduil

Sharp said:
I don't think that Cliff Lee's World Series ERA is 7, Brandy. But even if it were the answer is probably a much higher number than you think.
It was last year.

Look, if Cliff Lee wins his team the world series, I'll take it all back. But until then he's just a two-time loser who is afraid of being the man on his team.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Branduil said:

Considering your team has never actually won it all perhaps you should reconsider your position? There's a pretty good shot you will be totally unhappy as a baseball fan for the rest of your life.

hemtae

Branduil said:
It was last year.

Look, if Cliff Lee wins his team the world series, I'll take it all back. But until then he's just a two-time loser who is afraid of being the man on his team.

So why are you discounting the time where literally he was the only pitcher that won in the 2009 world series and "the man" for the phillies?

Branduil

Sharp said:
If by "appreciate it" you mean "bandwagon the opposing teams until they lose and then pretend I was rooting for my home team all along," then yeah, I don't think anyone does it quite as well as you.
So salty. But I probably would be too if I cheered for Washington teams all my life. Heck the Washington roots probably explain why the Rangers sucked for so long.

Branduil said:
It was last year.

Lee did get bashed in Game 1 of the WS, but so did Lincecum. You want to blame someone for that loss, blame the Rangers crap ass bullpen.

Lee only gave up 3 runs in 7 innings in Game 5. Not his fault the Rangers couldn't hit the 5'10'' hippie again.

clemenx

Banned
hemtae said:
So why are you discounting the time where literally he was the only pitcher that won in the 2009 world series and "the man" for the phillies?
Don't you get it? He didn't win his team 4 games on the WS, therefore he's a loser who is afraid of winning.

Branduil

darkside31337 said:
Considering your team has never actually won it all perhaps you should reconsider your position? There's a pretty good shot you will be totally unhappy as a baseball fan for the rest of your life.
Maybe, but baseball isn't really my favorite sport anyways. Anyway you never know what will happen, you just need to get a true superstar like Dirk and not a flake like Cliff Lee.

And, as someone else mentioned, the only two games the Phillies won in the 2009 World Series against the Yankees were the two games Lee started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom