• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

ENUtL.jpg
ENUtL.jpg
ENUtL.jpg
ENUtL.jpg
ENUtL.jpg
ENUtL.jpg
ENUtL.jpg

Brofist

Windu said:
a win in the first half of the season = 1. A win in the second half of the season = 1.

Tell that to the team that loses the last game of the season and gets knocked out of the playoffs. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to know they had a great April/May run.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
kpop100 said:
Tell that to the team that loses the last game of the season and gets knocked out of the playoffs. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to know they had a great April/May run.
Obviously it wasn't that great if they're missing the playoffs by one game.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
kpop100 said:
ok....still doesn't change the fact that a win in the first half is the same as a win in the second.

eznark

Banned
kpop100 said:

Have you never actually participated in a sport, or any activity whose outcome was decided over the course of many game spread out over a period of time? Only the simplest of simple minds look at the last loss as more meaningful than the 60-70 previous losses.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
kpop100 said:

If my Mets won one more game in April / May / June / July / August then September doesn't matter.

Red Sox tanked it all to hell but might still get in because they had a cushion. Because the Rays weren't as good for that chunk of the season.

kpop100 said:
That's debatable. Ellsbury has outright carried the Sox in the stretch run.

Plus if we look post all-star break:

Ellsbury
2guk4fn.jpg

Bautista
2eaigkm.jpg

Bautista didn't exactly light it up in the second half of the season.

Ellsbury was probably a bad example because he's stayed hot and kept pace with Bautista in a lot of important categories, I'm just making the general case that the MVP doesn't have to go to a guy on a top 2 or 3 team, and best player basically does mean most valuable player. Look at the years Bonds beasted in the early 00s, I don't think the Giants even made the playoffs every one of those seasons, but he was still far and away the most valuable player in baseball by every possible definition.

Brofist

Lambtron said:
Obviously it wasn't that great if they're missing the playoffs by one game.

The Sox were 30 over .500 until the end of August. I would say they had a respectable season until Sep.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rays just need to score one run.

Matt Moore will keep the Yankees in check for the next 15 innings or so tonight. Should be enough time to eke out another.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Rickie Weeks just hit one to the moon, one of the farthest I've ever seen hit at Miller Park.

Hey ez, are you going to any playoff games?

Yeah. I need to go to the first round since I am elk hunting the second week of October so I am planning on driving up hopefully this weekend.

Windu

Cardinals tied it up. looks like we might actually have to win a game this week. So much for the playoffs.

Brofist

Windu said:
ok....still doesn't change the fact that a win in the first half is the same as a win in the second.

I'm not debating that a win in the beginning of the season is not important. I just think a player's performance is more defined by how he does in late season pressure situations. Generally speaking I think a player who performs well in Sep/Oct is more highly regarded than one in April/May.

darkside31337 said:
If my Mets won one more game in April / May / June / July / August then September doesn't matter.

Red Sox tanked it all to hell but might still get in because they had a cushion. Because the Rays weren't as good for that chunk of the season.

First off when you starting getting into "ifs" you really get out of reality. Second even if you want to play that game, we still don't know if that would be true. There are too many variables. If a team does poorly early on they may make moves to strengthen the team. Players may react/play differently after a poor start.

Windu

kpop100 said:
I'm not debating that a win in the beginning of the season is not important. I just think a player's performance is more defined by how he does in late season pressure situations. Generally speaking I think a player who performs well in Sep/Oct is more highly regarded than one in April/May.
well if wins mean the same in april as the do in September then you shouldn't value someone's performance in one month over the other. You should value it as a whole season. You might as well give the player of the month in September the MVP.

Brofist

Windu said:
well if wins mean the same in april as the do in September then you shouldn't value someone's performance in one month over the other. You should value it as a whole season. You might as well give the player of the month in September the MVP.

I dunno, I think the fact that not a single person even mentioned Adrian Gonzalez as a possible MVP speaks loudly here, since he pretty much fell off late season.

Windu

a run! we scored a run!
kpop100 said:
I dunno, I think the fact that not a single person even mentioned Adrian Gonzalez as a possible MVP speaks loudly here, since he pretty much fell off late season.
well they don't mention him because he doesn't deserve it. he didn't even deserve it at the all star break. And yes, he did not deserve it last season either.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
kpop100 said:
it's because he looks annoying

Brofist

Windu said:
well they don't mention him because he doesn't deserve it. he didn't even deserve it at the all star break.

I would say anyone who is leading in both average and RBIs by a fair amount and with decent HR numbers (at the all-star break) at least deserves to be in the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom