• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Talon- said:
Jim_Powell_scorecard_b19.jpg

So what am I looking at here? Somebody white out the bottom of the 19th?

Or is the implication that the ump didn't want to have to start a new scorecard at 2AM?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Heyman
sfgiants in position to land beltran. #phillies not quite giving up. but deal with sf could get done soon.

Rosenthal
#Mets had asked #SFGiants for RHP Wheeler or OF Brown. Not getting Wheeler. We'll see on Brown.

Clearly Sandy is bating the Phillies into giving up their Brown.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Trading players when their value is the lowest. I don't get it.

The Blue Jays seem to be the masters of taking advantage of this though. /bow

HAHAHAHA

"The trade: Colby Rasmus, Trever Miller, Brian Tallet and P.J. Walters for Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Dotel and Corey Patterson"

BYE BYE PATTERSON

WE ARE GETTING TALLET BACK

Axion22

I know nobody watched the Padres last night, so here's something:

Dustin Moseley dislocates his shoulder on a swing... for the second time this season.
MoseleyShoulder.gif.opt_medium.gif

Not shown: him getting up and jogging to first for an extremely long and painful single.

Link

Fenix

Doytch said:
Just checked, not on the Jays' website.

Maybe a cup of coffee for Alvarez in the bullpen...
Going by this from Wilner, earlier today:
To fill spot vacated by Frasor RT @james_in_to: @Wilnerness590 Can't see a flip, else why would Mills only be called up for bullpen work?

HAHAHAH BRIAN TALLET!

JABEE

Jayson Stark said:
The Phillies are a team that loves to stalk The Big Deal this time of year. And it's now become clear to clubs that have spoken with the Phillies that if that Big Deal is for a bat, almost all their bullets are being aimed at Hunter Pence.

In fact, over the last 24 hours, two different front-office men -- neither of whom works for the Phillies or Astros -- told us they believed the Phillies "had a deal for him" earlier in the week, only to have Houston back off.

When we ran that scenario past one Astros official, he refused to discuss any specific player. What he did say was that his team is still willing to listen to just about anything, and that it hasn't said no to any specific proposal.

Other clubs say the Astros have told them they would still need to be "overwhelmed" to trade Pence in particular because their team is a month away from being sold -- and Pence might be the only reason anybody in Houston would want to buy a ticket to see them next year.

But if they're offered a package built around high-end young pitching, they'll listen. So it's believed the Phillies structured a deal around their best hitting prospect, first baseman Jonathan Singleton, and their best pitching prospect, Jarred Cosart -- both of whom are playing for Single-A Clearwater -- plus another second-tier pitching prospect. But the Astros have been telling clubs they need four sure-thing players if they deal Pence. And the Phillies haven't shown a willingness to strip their system that bare, or to include rookie starter Vance Worley in any trade.

So in the end, other teams still expect Houston to hang onto Pence, at least for now, and focus on moving Wandy Rodriguez and/or Brett Myers, while picking up as little money in those deals as possible. And if it turns out Pence is unavailable, the Phillies would probably focus more on smaller moves -- Jason Giambi, Jeff Francoeur, Ryan Ludwick, bat-off-the-bench types and bullpen arms.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings110727/colorado-rockies-shopping-ace-ubaldojimenez

Damn.

clemenx

Banned
Too bad we don't have a Cards fan for the freakout.

Whan are we going to trade Beltran!? Dom Brown please if Giants don't want to give up Wheeler.

eznark

Banned
how the fuck was that guy called safe in the Pirates games last night!???!

(looking at the box score this morning...too fucking funny. Well done Prado!!)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
eznark said:
how the fuck was that guy called safe in the Pirates games last night!???!

(looking at the box score this morning...too fucking funny. Well done Prado!!)
he was only 3 away from breaking the record of 0-11. Dumb umpire fucked it up.

JABEE

Beltran to the Giants
RT @TBrownYahoo Looks like Beltran is indeed going to SF, according to source. Logistics being worked out.

Edit:
Jon Morosi said earlier
"#SFGiants are willing to include Gary Brown in Beltran deal, source says. Could be key development. #Mets #Braves"

Wickerman

clemenx said:
Too bad we don't have a Cards fan for the freakout.

Whan are we going to trade Beltran!? Dom Brown please if Giants don't want to give up Wheeler.

It looks like he is headed to the Giants.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tim Brown
Looks like Beltran is indeed going to SF, according to source. Logistics being worked out

Heyman
just minor details to finish on Beltran with @sfgiants. major help for the world champions.

Well if it's Gary Brown and whatever I can live. Not the greatest haul but definitely solid for a 2 month rental.

darkside31337 said:
Tim Brown

Heyman

Well if it's Gary Brown and whatever I can live. Not the greatest haul but definitely solid for a 2 month rental.
Damn, it about to sink in, Beltran is leaving. Gonna miss ya bud, hopefully you brought in some nice prospects.
And Edwin Jackson checking in to Dave Duncan's School of Pitching can only be good for him and his numbers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
eznark said:
man you guys have a high opinion of Colby Rasmus

I'm not exactly high on him but a guy who had a OPS+ of 133 last season for an average rental SP, a LOOGY, a decent RH reliever? That's such a horrible trade for the Cards and a coup for the Jays. They barely gave anything up to him, in fact adding Teahen's contract was the worst thing for them in the 3 way.

Enron

Banned
LOL @ the Giants for trading Brown (and possibly Sanchez?) to the Mets for Beltran.

Good for the Mets, and I'm glad the Braves and Rangers weren't this stupid.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Enron said:
LOL @ the Giants for trading Brown (and possibly Sanchez?) to the Mets for Beltran.

Good for the Mets, and I'm glad the Braves and Rangers weren't this stupid.

By most accounts the Rangers were willing to give up more for Beltran.

Beltran controlled everything with his no-trade and more than likely told the Mets he wasn't interested. Honestly I'm shocked he placated the Mets FO as much he did. I would have made Wilpon get on his knees to ask me to accept a trade.

I'll miss you Beltran. You were an absolute stud for us when healthy and a treat for Mets fans to watch. It's a shame Omar and the rest of the front office couldn't bother to put an actual MLB roster around Beltran, Reyes and Wright all those years.

darkside31337 said:
By most accounts the Rangers were willing to give up more for Beltran.

Beltran controlled everything with his no-trade and more than likely told the Mets he wasn't interested. Honestly I'm shocked he placated the Mets FO as much he did. I would have made Wilpon get on his knees to ask me to accept a trade.

I'll miss you Beltran. You were an absolute stud for us when healthy and a treat for Mets fans to watch. It's a shame Omar and the rest of the front office couldn't bother to put an actual MLB roster around Beltran, Reyes and Wright all those years.
He denied a trade to the Rangers?

eznark

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
.860 OPS, 4.3 WAR season as a 23 year old.

In between a mediocre season at AAA, a terrible rookie season and a mediocre 2011.

Personally? I'd rather have the pitcher every single time. Wait, is Jackson in a contract year?

Enron

Banned
I guaran-fucking-tee you the Rangers' weren't "offering more".

"More" as in "more players", perhaps, but the word was the Rangers were offering the most in terms of number of players, but not necessarily QUALITY of player.

The Rangers weren't willing to give up any of their top 5, and perhaps even top 10 prospects for Beltran. And they certainly weren't going to include a major-league pitcher like Sanchez (if indeed that bit is true).

Congrats to the Mets, they stick-raped the SF Giants.

eznark said:
In between a mediocre season at AAA, a terrible rookie season and a mediocre 2011.

Personally? I'd rather have the pitcher every single time. Wait, is Jackson in a contract year?
you'd rather have a #3 starter in a contract year over a cost controllable potential 5 WAR CF? I mean really?

he posted 2.8 WAR in his rookie season, hardly mediocre. .753 OPS this year, 5th best on Jays.

eznark said:

Yea, his contract is up

Fenix

2 weeks ago, on Fangraphs: Why the Cardinal's can't trade Colby Rasmus

First 3 comments:
As a Cardinals fan, the thought of them making a deal similar to the Braves swap of Yunel Escobar last season – a young player with demonstrated ability having a poor season for an overrated veteran – is scary.
The fact that the Jays have a glaring need in CF should scare you even more. The fact that AA has made public comments this year regarding the potential acquisition of players of this exact ilk should have you downright terrified.
Oh yeah, I’m sure he’s really scared. haha AA is a god. GTFO of here.
If the Cardinals are willing to give him up the conversation STARTS with Lawrie.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom