• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
you'd rather have a #3 starter in a contract year over a cost controllable potential 5 WAR CF? I mean really?

I did not know that part.

All things being equal though? Yes, I would take the 27 year old, 5 proven years middle-of-the-rotation guy over the guy with a single anomalous season.

Pitching is so much more difficult to come by than a streaky, ass-hole outfielder.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
He denied a trade to the Rangers?

Heyman was saying as much.

Beltran controls the show due to no-trade. No shocker, #sfgiants look favored. #rangers tried hard.

I'm of the belief that Beltran wanted to go to SF in the first place and really not all that interested to play for other teams.

That charter flight with him getting all snuggy with Bochy and Giants players to Arizona for the ASG was a clear indicator of that.

Doytch

.860 OPS, 4.3 WAR season as a 23 year old.
Here's the reason why I don't like him as much as others:

Break down that year into monthly splits. Mar/April he had a 20% BB rate, way above anything he's shown. September is September, god knows what shitty pitchers come up in September call-ups, but this is the NL Central's September call-ups. Leaving only June in which his wRC+ was above 100 (albeit a high 169).

He's got potential, but...dunno. Though really, you have to do this deal. If he was even close to his potential you wouldn't get him for a bunch of relievers and corey friggin patterson.

Enron

Banned
sf2fanatic said:
Looks like Rangers,Giants and Braves have a chance for Beltran. Hopefully its the Braves

Sorry! Enjoy not having your future CF and Jonathan Sanchez for 2 months of Beltran's knee!

gogogo Daniels go get us Heath Bell

you'd rather have a #3 starter in a contract year over a cost controllable potential 5 WAR CF? I mean really?

he posted 2.8 WAR in his rookie season, hardly mediocre. .753 OPS this year, 5th best on Jays.
My concern with this trade is who AA is going to give up to get decent starting pitching. Jays are past the point of waiting 4 years on prospect pitchers. They've been rebuilding for like 15 years and all these deals don't get them any further ahead.

AA seems to be going sideways.

Enron said:
Sorry! Enjoy not having your future CF and Jonathan Sanchez for 2 months of Beltran's knee!

gogogo Daniels go get us Heath Bell

Heath Bell? U not confident with Feliz? I thought u a Ranger fan?

BTW- Azul fan so cal. Thats why I hoping Beltran will go to the Braves

eznark

Banned
Doytch said:
Here's the reason why I don't like him as much as others:

Break down that year into monthly splits. Mar/April he had a 20% BB rate, way above anything he's shown. September is September, god knows what shitty pitchers come up in September call-ups, but this is the NL Central's September call-ups. Leaving only June in which his wRC+ was above 100 (albeit a high 169).

He's got potential, but...dunno. Though really, you have to do this deal. If he was even close to his potential you wouldn't get him for a bunch of relievers and corey friggin patterson.

For a division like the NL Central that is, generally, less of a consideration. Usually there are three teams in the hunt, which means teams don't often use call-ups in starting roles.

I agree it's a great deal for the Blue Jays considering all they gave up was a few months of a mediocre pitcher. If Rasmus doesn't pan out, who gives a shit?

That said, Bautista will probably have some "pointers" for Colby to help him return to form!

Horsemama1956 said:
My concern with this trade is who AA is going to give up to get decent starting pitching. Jays are past the point of waiting 4 years on prospect pitchers. They've been rebuilding for like 15 years and all these deals don't get them any further ahead.

Morrow/Romero/Drabek is a solid 1-3. Jays farm system is incredibly deep, could deal from it to get another front-line starter.

eznark said:
I did not know that part.

All things being equal though? Yes, I would take the 27 year old, 5 proven years middle-of-the-rotation guy over the guy with a single anomalous season.

Pitching is so much more difficult to come by than a streaky, ass-hole outfielder.
Except he posted 2.8 WAR in his rookie season. No, a #3 starter is not harder to come by than a 5-tool CF.

eznark said:
That said, Bautista will probably have some "pointers" for Colby to help him return to form!
Right......

Doytch

Horsemama1956 said:

Romero/Morrow/Drabek/CecilAlvarezLitschVillanuevaMcGowanMillsDeck

EJax would get the shit kicked out of him in the ALE.

Doytch

eznark said:
For a division like the NL Central that is, generally, less of a consideration. Usually there are three teams in the hunt, which means teams don't often use call-ups in starting roles.

I agree it's a great deal for the Blue Jays considering all they gave up was a few months of a mediocre pitcher. If Rasmus doesn't pan out, who gives a shit?

ZTmxr.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fun wrinkle with the Mets / Giants trade is that the Mets are in Cincy right now for today and tomorrow's game, with the Giants arriving in Cincy for a 3 game series starting on the 29th.

Boras clearly makes the MLB schedule too.

eznark

Banned
Except he posted 2.8 WAR in his rookie season. No, a #3 starter is not harder to come by than a 5-tool CF.

Look at his per season numbers. That 2.8 WAR is deceptive because it is based on a fantastic year in the field...one he has been wholly unable to duplicate. In fact, this year (by WAR) he has been twice as atrocious as Ryan Braun!

Doytch

BTW, I saw a MLB Network commercial today advertising the Pirates game that called McCutchen The Dread Pirate. It's taking off!

Also, re:Rasmus, DRS is a bigger fan of him than UZR. He was a +1 last year according to Dewan.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MY GOODNESS WAITAMINUTE WAITAMINUTE!!!

16953698.jpg

If Sandy dun get dat kid Wheela + Brown I'm puttin' Sandy in My Fave Five, you feelin' me, dawg?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
eznark said:
Look at his per season numbers. That 2.8 WAR is deceptive because it is based on a fantastic year in the field...one he has been wholly unable to duplicate. In fact, this year (by WAR) he has been twice as atrocious as Ryan Braun!
well if he played the corner he would probably be average or plus. Nate McLouth is horrible in CF but is a plus defender in LF.

The Frankman said:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MY GOODNESS WAITAMINUTE WAITAMINUTE!!!

16953698.jpg

If SAndy dun get dat kid Wheela I'm puttin' Sandy in My Fave Five, you feelin' me, dawg?
Just read it mite be Wheeler!! That would be lovely!!

eznark

Banned
Windu said:
well if he played the corner he would probably be average or plus. Nate McLouth is horrible in CF but is a plus defender in LF.

Sure, I'm not saying "Braun has played better than Rasmus" I'm saying Braun has been less of a liability at his position than Rasmus has been at his.

That is saying a lot, because Braun is atrocious.

And Rasmus has gone from +10 to -9 in three years. To me his stats scream never-will-be.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A no-hitter going on AND the Mariners are up 1-0 on the Yanks.

Crazy day in baseball.

From Sherman

Appears Mets are getting Wheeler. Official involved just told me Brown and Sanchez r not in deal

It was too good to be true at Wheeler + Brown. But still awesome.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
didn't realize there were day games today.

no hitter, No hitter, no Hitter, No Hitter, NO Hitter, No HITTER, NO HITTER, No Hit Ervin Santana.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
bluemax said:
The Jays just fleeced the Cardinals, unreal.
When a manager has a certain "type" of guy they on the team, and the general manager makes moves based on this, bad things happen. See: JJ Hardy getting traded for peanuts because he wasn't as fast a runner as Gardy likes. I'm looking forward to Kevin Slowey getting traded for a bag of balls because he's intelligent and has a dry sense of humor.

Enron

Banned
Windu said:
didn't realize there were day games today.

no hitter, No hitter, no Hitter, No Hitter, NO Hitter, No HITTER, NO HITTER, No Hit Ervin Santana.

what is all of this about a NO HITTER?

Is someone in the process of getting NO HITTER?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Frankman said:
OH SHIT OH SHIT Olney and Sherman are saying it's Wheeler and 1-2 other guys.
If true, Wheeler to blow his arm out after an average season or two, and then SF will pick him back up 10 years later and all of a sudden be good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom