• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marleyman said:
I stayed up and am now dragging ass at work for that to happen? Hurdle let him off easy; I wouldn't have let Meals get anywhere NEAR leaving that field. I would have humiliated him in so many ways.

It was such a big loss for us too; facing Jurrjens tonight and then going to Philly to face Halladay and Lee...fuck. I have never seen a worse umpire call in my life.

Dont worry Pirates always play the Phils tough. I expect a really close series.

Cathcart

yankeehater said:
Dont worry Pirates always play the Phils tough. I expect a really close series.
Yeah but the Phillies are a lot better at home this year than they are on the road. Should be good games but I bet the Phillies win at least 2. Hopefully they win Sunday because I'll be there :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Awful awful call, but worst call of all time? It's probably not even the worst call in the last month.

I can see the umpires reasoning even if he was completely wrong. It was a swipe tag (dear god why?) and he didn't think he made contact with Lugo. That alone makes it a better call than some of the actual worst calls of all time where logic can't even apply to how the umpire got the call wrong.

Ump is also a convenient scapegoat for not scoring a run off of 3 innings of Proctor. Maybe if the Pirates did their job and mashed some batting practice this poor umpire wouldn't have had the chance to show his sheer incompetence.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14638

Alternate reality scenario. Proctor would indeed have to be awarded first base on that play even though he fell on his ass. Last thing I'd ever want is for umpires to assume runners are out based on a replay.

From Rosenthal
Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Rangers offering #Mets greater number of players for Beltran. #SFGiants offering fewer players, more quality

Sabean's gonna cave.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
cuevas said:
You guys are trying to defend the shitty call because the nats couldn't get a run against a bad reliever? Really?

Not sure what the Nats have to do with the Pirates - Braves game, but I'm not defending the umpires incompetence. Just saying that not scoring a run off of Scott Proctor in 3 innings is way more embarrassing than the total botch by the umpire.

marrec

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Not sure what the Nats have to do with the Pirates - Braves game, but I'm not defending the umpires incompetence. Just saying that not scoring a run off of Scott Proctor in 3 innings is way more embarrassing than the total botch by the umpire.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Oh god you're serious.

Also #JerryMealsSaysItsSafe:

We really need a Shop of 'It's a Trap vs. Jerry Meals'.

darkside31337 said:
Jerry Meals didn't feel the Pirates should get a chance to win since they couldn't do shit against Proctor.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Jerry Meals didn't feel the Pirates should get a chance to win since they couldn't do shit against Proctor.

Right. That's exactly Jerry Meals internal logic.

Can't score a run off Proctor in 3 innings. You won't score another run for the next 100 innings or so. Clearly the Braves were going to win no matter what so might as well put the onus of looking like incompetent fools entirely on himself instead of on the Pirates. He was just doing them a favor.

And no I'm not being serious. The call was absolutely awful, but it's just a tad bit of hyperbole to call it the worst call of all time.

marrec

Banned
darkside31337 said:
And no I'm not being serious. The call was absolutely awful, but it's just a tad bit of hyperbole to call it the worst call of all time.

It's one of the worst mostly because of how easy of a call it was. If it were close then you could say 'Aw Shucks, better luck next time' but it's pretty obvious that he was out. That coupled with the 19 inning game, the Pirates dropping to 3rd because of the call, and the fact that the Pirates are America's darlings right now, makes it a bloody terrible call. Top 5 in my book... but I'm a Pirate fan.

Fenix

Rosenthal said:
Source: Money appears only holdup in 3-team deal that would send EJax to #Cardinals, Rasmus to #BlueJays. MORE #WhiteSox #tradedeadline #MLB
eeeeeeeeee

And:
3-team deal includes cash exchange of more than $1 million, requiring approval of commissioner's office. #tradedeadline #MLB

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
3 team trade between Cards / White Sox / Jays might be done pretty quickly

Source: Money appears only holdup in 3-team deal that would send EJax to #Cardinals, Rasmus to #BlueJays.

3-team deal includes cash exchange of more than $1 million, requiring approval of commissioner's office.

Would be a total AA move if the Jays got Rasmus for virtually nothing. Can see it happening already.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
From Busta

It'll be interesting to see what STL gets for Rasmus, because sources say Cards were offered one of three TB SP: Niemann, Davis,Cobb

Honestly I'm shocked they turned that down given how much TLR totally loathes Rasmus. So it's fair to assume they got something from the Jays for Rasmus.

According to Heyman, White Sox - Jays deal is complete nothing involving Cardinals yet.

#chisox deal w/ tor is 2_team deal. E-jax to to, believe frasor and prospect to #chisox. Very likely.

Doytch

I don't really want Rasmus unless it's for nothing. I mean, I'd rather watch Snider in CF for the rest of the year and see what he can do, he's pretty much in the same mold as Rasmus.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Doytch said:
I don't really want Rasmus unless it's for nothing. I mean, I'd rather watch Snider in CF for the rest of the year and see what he can do, he's pretty much in the same mold as Rasmus.

From Morosi

STLCards asked about Eric Thames, as a way to make sure they got an outfielder back in Rasmus deal. Not clear if BlueJays will move him

Yeah that doesn't make a ton of sense for the Jays.

Dear god what?

#WhiteSox send Jackson and Teahen to #BlueJays for Frasor and RH Zach Stewart

Who the hell would trade for Mark Teahen?

Marleyman

Banned
darkside31337 said:

No, it isn't.

JAYS ARE GONNA GET RASMUS HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I LOVE AA

Doytch said:
Rasmus for Thames, Stewart and Frasor is pretty much nothing. It's fucking Rasmus.

Talon

Jim_Powell_scorecard_b19.jpg

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Great Trade for the White Sox.

Jackson, Teahen for Frasor, their new #1 prospect and 10 million saved? Very nice.

Kenny Williams sez they will now get creative due to the new payroll situation. Even better.

ggnoobIGN said:

Jackson, Teahen for Frasor, their new #1 prospect and 10 million saved? Very nice.

Kenny Williams sez they will now get creative due to the new payroll situation. Even better.
25 year old posting a 4.2 ERA at AA is no great shakes, but okay. You had the same reaction when you acquired Rios, I remember.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ggnoobIGN said:

Wow is the White Sox minor league system THAT bad where a near 25 year old who is giving up more than 1 hit per inning along with other mediocre numbers in AA is their best prospect? That seems ridiculous.

Saving money on Teahen is fantastic though.

From Mike Wilner (Jays broadcaster)

Going on the air with Gord Stellick RIGHT NOW to talk about the 3way deal. None of Thames, Hechavarria, Sierra are involved

ggnoobIGN

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
25 year old posting a 4.2 ERA at AA is no great shakes, but okay. You had the same reaction when you acquired Rios, I remember.
This is the White Sox organization we are talking about.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Wow is the White Sox minor league system THAT bad where a near 25 year old who is giving up more than 1 hit per inning along with other mediocre numbers in AA is their best prospect? That seems ridiculous.
Law just said he now was. Though he always overrates Blue Jays prospects.

Fenix

Sorta sucks to lose Stewart's hair. But it's dealing from Jays pitching strength, so it looks pretty good.

Lol if it's EJax/Zep/Dotel for Rasmus though.

Doytch

Rzep and Zach Stewart are nice, and I'm not really a big fan of Rasmus, but that seems like a steal if true. Frasor and Dotel are pretty much 'who cares,' despite the fact that I love the Sausage King.

clemenx

Banned
Cards turned down choice of Niemann/Davis/Cobb for Rasmus. Will take Edwin Jackson instead http://bit.ly/o5ynFL #Rays

The fuck?

Well, much for my surprise, E-Jax has actually been good this year so he may have been better than Niemann. But Davis or Cobb? That's a few years of cheap young pitcher.

ZZMitch said:
It may have been a bad call... but a swipe tag at plate... WTF?

Put your glove in his chest, leave no doubt.

That works great... when you're not going for an inning ending double play because Proctor fell on his face on his way to first. Swipe tag was appropriate in that situation.

If the Jays have Rasmus

Rasmus, Davis, Patterson, Snider, Thames......someone else has to get moved.......especially when Lawrie is called up and Bautista goes back to right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom