• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
:lol ask me how I earned that run back a int for a td achievement!

some no name CB just took the ball from a gold WR and ran it back to win the game :D

btw...it's an ad on 1 achievement in the game vs. NCAA's 2.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
but anyways there were some cool plays. one that stood out is my dude bull rushed his guy and had stabler or whoever his QB was in a lasso and stabler tried to throw and the ball came out sideways while he was falling. !

There is some cool ball physics going on when airborne. I threw a bad pass that bounced out of a defenders hands, off a his shoulders, out of the same defenders arms a second time, then off the arms of a second defender, and then dropped by a third defender. Four seperate missed opportunities. :lol

maynerd

Banned
Ravenn17 said:
How's the presentation? Does it have weekly highlights in season mode ala 2K5?

Unless there is something I'm missing it does not as I have played 2 weeks and haven't seen the weekly highlight show.

My team, and yep that's me at QB.

842724405_352cb35d71.jpg

842724451_b996a1aa0e.jpg

jobber

maynerd said:
Unless there is something I'm missing it does not as I have played 2 weeks and haven't seen the weekly highlight show.

I haven't seen that either.

VC is getting waaaaaaaaaay too lazy

The Halftime and Post-Game reports are basically NFL2K5's but instead of Berman, we get Dan Stevens saying the exact same lines. It's still some PBP call lines from NFL2K. Outside that gripe, it's all good.

maynerd

Banned
FMT for you.

y8t2OmXpRRUWRRAMP73igaUxaVTz5fyjwM9kJmMxH-Qp3JoxPtSsSgvtBqc8AU8cfc

Someone said this was some sort of 49ers retro uni...dunno if it is true or not.

SickBoy

Decided to plunk down the cash on the game even if I'm not in the league (you guys need to confirm those 30 are in). My reactions are mixed.

1) Currently, I suck. Don't know what default difficulty is, but I've lost both my first games. Can't get the running game going with Barry... and I've also got Anthony Munoz on the line (and a silver-level guard next to him). Seems the D sorta stacks to that strong side, so I've actually had better luck running behind my generics.

2) Control is occasionally annoying... get sucked into QB running animations, but I think this is a long-term plus, because it really does discourage happy feet. Oh, it's also really annoying after three years of Madden... I'll re-learn eventually.

3) Graphics are slightly unspectacular when it comes to models, but I can't say I care at all. The only thing that bothers me about the visuals is that the passing icons are pretty bloody small.

4) So the models are unspectacular, but how about that animation? One thing that I've enjoyed about the two games I've played so far is that it all looks pretty damned authentic... I've seen some stuff in this game I've never seen in a football game in terms of ball movement and animations (my TE looks great bobbling and dropping every pass I throw his way).

5) Too early to say how the game plays overall... one thing that is obvious is how overly short the games are (despite my last game going 21-14... maybe 28, even)

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Wow, got exploited in the first game I played, amazing.

All you have to do to make your opponent unable to run a play is originally call a punt return, then audible before they can snap the ball. Game wont let you snap until they're in position but by that time the clock has run out.

****ing amazing what people will do to win unranked games.

maynerd

Banned
QVT said:

All you have to do to make your opponent unable to run a play is originally call a punt return, then audible before they can snap the ball. Game wont let you snap until they're in position but by that time the clock has run out.

That's quite dicky

sickboy i suspect you will be in the league. let me know in the next 2 days if you are still interested and we'll get you in (either by expanding to 32 or replacing someone)

p.s. maynerd why aren't you in the league

maynerd said:
This might not be news but it looks like you can view every play after the game and save them as well.

Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with these games to know if that is new at all but I find it amazing that at any point you can go back and look at every single play of the game. And if you like a particular play, you can save it to disk.

So I was watching some replays from a game played in heavy snow . . . and I realized that every single snowflake exists in 3D . . . you can move around in space and time and watch each indivdual snowflake. Holy crap . . . how do they keep track of all that data?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
QVT said:

For a game that is light on features and depends heavily on online play for replay value, that is really not good news. Maybe a patch can fix it?

maynerd

Banned
Anyone experiencing skipped replays? Sometimes replays just don't show up for some reason.

FMT I'm not in the league because I can't commit to the requirements of the league. I won't join if I can't commit 100%.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
maynerd said:
Anyone experiencing skipped replays? Sometimes replays just don't show up for some reason.

FMT I'm not in the league because I can't commit to the requirements of the league. I won't join if I can't commit 100%.

A couple of people are talking about the skipped replays over at Operation Sports.

newsguy

842724451_b996a1aa0e.jpg

:D That's a badass looking QB

5) Too early to say how the game plays overall... one thing that is obvious is how overly short the games are (despite my last game going 21-14... maybe 28, even)
Today 02:28 AM

I think the accelerated clock is on by default. Check it out in the options menu.

Maverick

This game is flat out great fun so far.

The strategy that goes into picking your legends is cool, and some of the animations are unreal.

The game just *feels* right. Very refreshing.

i knew it! i knew accelerated clock was on cause i was going to try to run the score up against bob and i swore it said 11 seconds, then i break huddle and after a moment it said "and thats the final gun!"

time to turn that bitch off.... or make the game longer :D

Maverick

FMT, I'll be on later tonight playing my first online games.

Gtag is Militant Black.

When Lambert's around, keep your goddamn head up. :D

LiveWire

Hey sable there's actually an Arlington, VA entry in the city list. So if you want Washington instead of Buffalo I'm down with taking Arlington.

Nightz said:
Wow, I played this game for 3 hours last night. I suck, but the game is awesome.:lol

Yeah, that was my experience too. But I had Walter Payton and he really saved the day for me and gave me some wins.

I also realized you really need to read the manual . . . the game is very deep and you can't expect to do well without learning a bit. Unfortunately the manual looks a bit rushed. Once sentence just stopped halfway through. It also told me to that you can pull the right trigger to 'enter scrable mode'. I pulled the right trigger expecting a mini-game with little wooden tiles with letters on them but nope. :lol Don't they have spell/grammar check on their MS Word?

Mrbob

By skipped replays are you talking about the halftime and post game highlights?

Those parts are lame. It was cool to see still camera shots 3 years ago, but now I want to see full video feed of the plays in action.

DJ you were stacking the line against me, that is why I was throwing. I always get wrongfully accused of abusing the Tight End position, so I might as well make it official and get a gold star TE for the league. ;)

The wobbly pass by Stabler was awesome. FMT your lineman dove and got stabler by the ankles as I was getting ready to throw. He ended up tripping him down in the middle of his pass and the ball just wobbled sideways. I was a bit worried the play was going to be called a fumble, as the pass almost looked like it almost wobbled backwards. My dropped pass on 4th and 10 in the 4th quarter annoyed me though. :( My receiver faked out your DB, wide open at the 5, ball goes right through his hands! Damn.

Oh and it looks like the game uses college rules for completed passes. Only need one foot in.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mrbob said:
Oh and it looks like the game uses college rules for completed passes. Only need one foot in.

Or none at all. Seeing reports on OP about ruled catches clearly out of bounds. Challenge and the ruling is held up. Bummer. =/

maynerd

Banned
Kintaro said:
Or none at all. Seeing reports on OP about ruled catches clearly out of bounds. Challenge and the ruling is held up. Bummer. =/

You can challenge in the game?! Where's is that?!

maynerd said:

I was experiencing the same thing, and I was like WTF. I then enable auto save and created a user profile and finally all the replays start showing as promised.

maynerd

Banned
gluv65 said:
I was experiencing the same thing, and I was like WTF. I then enable auto save and created a user profile and finally all the replays start showing as promised.

I have a user profile. I don't know if Autosave is enabled. The thing is this only happens sometimes it isn't all the time.

QVT said:

1) What a total dick . . . did he do it more than once? I hope you gave him a bad review.

2) That is the kind of bug that should be addressed. What should happen in a real football game? The snap should happen? A delay of game penalty on the defense?

maynerd

Banned
speculawyer said:
What happens when you try to view the replay? It won't go there?

I'm talking about auto replays. It'll do the swooshing thing it does when it is cutting from game to replay then not play the replay and go back to the pick a play screen with shots of the field in the background.

LiveWire

Mrbob said:
DJ you were stacking the line against me, that is why I was throwing. I always get wrongfully accused of abusing the Tight End position, so I might as well make it official and get a gold star TE for the league. ;)

Yea, it's definitely a weakness in my team--covering short middle of the field routes or covering TEs in general. But, I like how it was a strategic design choice by me, and not some crappy game AI. I put my teams' strengths in run blocking and d-line pass rushing, and it worked just as expected. I had to leave the non-star players to try and fill in as pass coverage-biased and for the most part it worked well. But if it didn't work, it's a sacrifice I made to get better pressure (I think I had 3 sacks on you).

I think I'll experiment with a few other team setups before the draft. I could see this game becoming more popular for GAF online leagues than Madden--assuming 2K fixes some of these game-breaking bugs....we already argue like a daytime soap opera cast when there is a dispute...

SickBoy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
sickboy i suspect you will be in the league. let me know in the next 2 days if you are still interested and we'll get you in (either by expanding to 32 or replacing someone)

Still interested, going to ensure in the next day or so that my new net connection doesn't have any online lag issues.

I'm gonna get slammed, though, I think.

jobber

maynerd said:
I'm talking about auto replays. It'll do the swooshing thing it does when it is cutting from game to replay then not play the replay and go back to the pick a play screen with shots of the field in the background.

That happened after I turned to game speed up to fast. When I put it back on normal, it worked again.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
speculawyer said:
1) What a total dick . . . did he do it more than once? I hope you gave him a bad review.

2) That is the kind of bug that should be addressed. What should happen in a real football game? The snap should happen? A delay of game penalty on the defense?

Yeah, after I took the early lead with a 65 yard barry run, he started doing it mostly on third and fourth downs. Ended up something like 26-7.

In real football, you can snap whenever you want. Your offence doesn't even have to be ready, but it's a penalty if they're not. As long as you're ready though, it doesn't matter what the defence is doing. Often times they'll get caught getting back to the line slowly during a hurry up and not be ready in time.

Although really, I suppose it's my fault for playing a game online against random people.

jobber

QVT said:
Although really, I suppose it's my fault for playing a game online against random people.

Don't feel bad. Tards on NBA2K7 had the ability to force you out of timeouts when you're subbing people in and out.

maynerd

Banned
jobber said:
That happened after I turned to game speed up to fast. When I put it back on normal, it worked again.

AH HA! I put it to fast and that's when this stuff started happening!

INTERESTING!

QVT said:
Yeah, after I took the early lead with a 65 yard barry run, he started doing it mostly on third and fourth downs. Ended up something like 26-7.

In real football, you can snap whenever you want. Your offence doesn't even have to be ready, but it's a penalty if they're not. As long as you're ready though, it doesn't matter what the defence is doing. Often times they'll get caught getting back to the line slowly during a hurry up and not be ready in time.

Hmm . . . I wonder if doing 'hurry to the line' or 'no huddle' offense would help if you suspect a person will do this. This is probably a difficult bug to address too since the game is probably just not in a mode ready for the snap.

What does Madden/NCAA do in this situation?

There are other oddities pre-snap. I could swear I cross the line of scrimmage before the snap some times w/o being called for it. Pardon my ignorance of football rules but it seemed I could do some movements on the defensive lines that shouldn't be allowed. Aren't they supposed stay still once they get set?

QVT said:

Not your fault . . . the game shouldn't have such big loopholes. It is amazing how fast people find these bugs . . . or maybe this existed in 2K5 too?

Maverick

Actually the D-line can shift horizontally, but they can't make any sudden moves forward to draw an O-lineman offsides (this is kind of irrelevant in videogames because the CPU doesn't really "jump" at your movements like a human would.)

Linebackers can hop around all they want, fake blitzes, etc. This is actually one of my favorite things about the 2K series - Linebackers' realistic movement. In Madden their fake-blitzes and movement feels much more robotic.

If anyone wants to play, please send me a friend invite. I just don't feel like playing random 12 year olds online. I am sure I'll suck, so you should get an easy win.
I haven't even played it yet since I spent my one gaming hour per night (that's all I can fit in) creating my team.
Talk about some tough decisions.

My gamertag is: Natty Boh man (with the spaces)

Mention you're from NeoGaf in the message so I'll know who you are.

bluemax

Banned
speculawyer said:
Hmm . . . I wonder if doing 'hurry to the line' or 'no huddle' offense would help if you suspect a person will do this. This is probably a difficult bug to address too since the game is probably just not in a mode ready for the snap.

What does Madden/NCAA do in this situation?

There are other oddities pre-snap. I could swear I cross the line of scrimmage before the snap some times w/o being called for it. Pardon my ignorance of football rules but it seemed I could do some movements on the defensive lines that shouldn't be allowed. Aren't they supposed stay still once they get set?

Not your fault . . . the game shouldn't have such big loopholes. It is amazing how fast people find these bugs . . . or maybe this existed in 2K5 too?

As soon as your offensive line is set in Madden/NCAA you can snap the ball, even if the defense isn't set. You can exploit this on hurry ups and catch the defense offsides after long pass completions sometimes. And if someone audibles on defense you can hike before they're set, thus letting you take advantage of their players confusion. Sort of like real life.

Maverick said:
Actually the D-line can shift horizontally, but they can't make any sudden moves forward to draw an O-lineman offsides (this is kind of irrelevant in videogames because the CPU doesn't really "jump" at your movements like a human would.)

Linebackers can hop around all they want, fake blitzes, etc. This is actually one of my favorite things about the 2K series - Linebackers' realistic movement. In Madden their fake-blitzes and movement feels much more robotic.

How do you make the D-line shift? PS3 version I have no clue.

gluv65 said:
How do you make the D-line shift? PS3 version I have no clue.

You can shift the linebackers & defensive backs but I don't think you can shift the D-line. I was playing a D-line player and you can can move the one guy you control.

(I was playing a D-line player because I don't what I'm doing and I figured that playing a defensive linean trying to sack the QB or tackle a runner was the position where I'd least likely do harm to my team. :lol )

jobber said:
:lol ask me how I earned that run back a int for a td achievement!

some no name CB just took the ball from a gold WR and ran it back to win the game :D

btw...it's an ad on 1 achievement in the game vs. NCAA's 2.

Can you get achievements with custom difficulty settings, or do you have to use a stock setting?
(I searched the thread but didn't see anything)

Top Bottom