• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

Favre4435 said:
Madden 06 on the 360 got raked over the coals for this... but since 2k is putting out a game its no longer a bad thing?
Before I read your reply I was sure I read mysticstylez' comment as it not being really a bad thing that it was reviewed low because of the lack of modes. Now, I'm wondering if he meant a lack of modes isn't really a bad thing. Thanks Favre for confusing what I already thought was easily understood. :lol

Big Zep said:
He has an ability where if you hold down A while the CPU drops back for you...you put extra zip on the pass. Think of it as...a charge up throw!

:D Best QB ever.

I cant wait to play this game.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
MiamiWesker said:
:D Best QB ever.

I cant wait to play this game.

Only if he yells HADOUKEN as he releases the ball.

Talladega Knight said:
Before I read your reply I was sure I read mysticstylez' comment as it not being really a bad thing that it was reviewed low because of the lack of modes. Now, I'm wondering if he meant a lack of modes isn't really a bad thing. Thanks Favre for confusing what I already thought was easily understood. :lol

I meant that the biggest gripe being lack of modes and the game gets a 6.5, from 1up isn't that bad of a thing. If it had every game mode under the sun and still got a 6.5 I'd be worried.

If you wanna look at it this way, Madden 07 for 360 got a 7.5 from 1up. http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3153850&sec=REVIEWS

Now add in that Madden 07 had more game modes than APF 2k8, and more "next gen" graphical effects, and got a 7.5. If APF 2k8 can have a lot less in game modes, and not as advanced graphics and only score a point lower isn't that bad.

mysticstylez said:
I meant that the biggest gripe being lack of modes and the game gets a 6.5, from 1up isn't that bad of a thing. If it had every game mode under the sun and still got a 6.5 I'd be worried.
Clear as can be now mystic. Thanks.

Mrbob

I don't think that review really applies to any of us. Unless you wanted a deep single player experience which we all knew wasn't there. If the gameplay is solid that is fine, as my time will be spent playing online anyway.

BirdBomb

Banned
seems like your typical 2k football game to me. gameplay is decent, in game presentation is awesome. menus are terrible, camera views suck, controls arent as solid as madden. it animates very well though and the passing game is pretty fun. Seems like you have to have a legend under control to be able to make any type of play though.

i had the same camera problem 1up had. your outside WRs arent on the screen when you hold one of the triggers and there is no way to look left or right.

GCQuinton

Defense is lame enough in a football videogame -- don't make us call a play for the secondary and the linemen. It's maddening.

Considering this is how most defenses call their plays in real-life, this statement troubles me.

GCQuinton said:
Considering this is how most defenses call their plays in real-life, this statement troubles me.
Seriously, it's not like it's that big a deal or anything. "You mean I have to press A 4 times now instead of 2? That means I'm losing like 1/927987234 of a second every time I do that! 6.5"

I am surprised at the low scores, I am playing the game and totally loving it!
The animation is great, everything runs smooth, and the customization is damn cool.
Maybe I am just not as picky when it comes to modes and such, but I feel the gameplay is REALLY good.

darkressurection said:
I am surprised at the low scores, I am playing the game and totally loving it!
The animation is great, everything runs smooth, and the customization is damn cool.
Maybe I am just not as picky when it comes to modes and such, but I feel the gameplay is REALLY good.

Well if you frequent 1up.com you would have seen that Todd Z's blogs recently were all about NCAA 08, and nothing about APF 2k8. That's why I'm not surprised at 1up's score.

mysticstylez said:
Well if you frequent 1up.com you would have seen that Todd Z's blogs recently were all about NCAA 08, and nothing about APF 2k8. That's why I'm not surprised at 1up's score.
Meh, well how is everyone at GAF liking it?

darkressurection said:
Meh, well how is everyone at GAF liking it?

Can't say I like it yet, mainly cause I didn't get a chance to buy it today. I'm hoping for a demo first, even though I love 2k football.

From people here and other places the main gripe seems to be the graphics aren't really next gen but the animations are amazing and the gameplay is classic 2k football.

mysticstylez said:
Can't say I like it yet, mainly cause I didn't get a chance to buy it today. I'm hoping for a demo first, even though I love 2k football.

From people here and other places the main gripe seems to be the graphics aren't really next gen but the animations are amazing and the gameplay is classic 2k football.
The graphics on field are meh, but between plays a lot of the player models and jerseys look pretty good. When it raining during a game you can see the jerseys getting soaked and beads of water on helmets and it is all really good looking.

darkressurection said:
The graphics on field are meh, but between plays a lot of the player models and jerseys look pretty good. When it raining during a game you can see the jerseys getting soaked and beads of water on helmets and it is all really good looking.

From the vid's I've seen it looks good enough for me. Hopefully it sells well, so we can get a sequel with the same great gameplay, but with better visuals, and more game modes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
mysticstylez said:
From the vid's I've seen it looks good enough for me. Hopefully it sells well, so we can get a sequel with the same great gameplay, but with better visuals, and more game modes.

The devs said if a sequel comes, it'll come biannually. So, 2 year wait for franchise mode! =(

Kintaro said:
The devs said if a sequel comes, it'll come biannually. So, 2 year wait for franchise mode! =(

Thats fine by me, kinda like how NBA Street is, every other year. Keeps the game fresh, and gives dev's enough time to add new stuff and polish the crap out of it.

wow im lovin it so far! feels like a wonderful dream to be playing with dynamo steve again. they got his animation down pretty well too! although it's tough not to because he is probably the most famous south paw ever!

ive only played maybe 20 mins in practice trying things out and the animations are fantastic. a few things i noticed:

* they seem to have fixed the over powered scrambling qb's cause the D was on my ass when i left the pocket

* there are some awesome animations for the qb especially. this includes lame duck wobbly passes!

* the blocking develops nicely

was going to post more about practice but then ended up trying to play with dm, but his 360 died, so i played my first whole game and i am pretty impressed. here are some positives and negatives:

+ first thing... i love the kicking system! mother ****ing FINALLY there is some strategy/possibility to miss a kick in a football game. for those that dont know, it appears that they have somewhat mimicked NBA's ft system in that you hold back right stick then kind of go with the motion of the kick forward. i like it a lot better than maddens "hey everyone is a HOF kicker and cant miss!"

+ running game is very nice. on one play with rathman up the middle, it was a 2nd and inches. so i call a FB dive, get through the line and there is just a safety there, who is destroyed by my LT. so i score a TD and say "oh gee great AI..." but when i looked at the replay it was actually a very realistic play! first off my lg blocks outside giving the illusion of a run to the left, my LT runs TOWARDS the OLD but with no intention of blocking him, so the LB comes up to take on the block only to not be blocked. while the LB takes the long route to the middle of the play (outside of the guard who is occupying the DE), the play up the middle is developing. it should have been stopped for a gain of maybe 3, but my LT was now in the 2nd level ready to block the safety who had moved up and thereby clearing the path to the endzone. it was a combination of great blocking and wrong play/wrong time.

+ im loving the charge up meter for throws. gives a little strategy to your throwing. you want to make that great throw, but do you risk the D bringing big time pressure and ****ing up your rhythm because you have to get rid of it early? thats your choice!

+ speaking of passes, they look gorgeous in their imperfections. sometimes you will see nice spirals, other times you see average looking passes with a bit of wobble, and still other times you will see disgusting throws.

+ if you throw on the run you are in trouble. with steve i was able to stay SOMEWHAT on target on the run. but the AI's qb, who ran for his life all game, was erratic and inaccurate on the run.

+ i saw some incredible looking animations throughout. roger craigs high knees running after knocking out a CB, brent jones with a couple nice tip catches, some balls that were tipped a couple times and picked, the CB jumping the WR route with a great INT. i would tend to agree with 2k and say there are quite a bit of new animations, but also some old ones.

+ thankfully, "generic" players aren't useless. my safety opposite lott had 2 INT's and a few big hits and he was a nobody. also one of my defensive lineman was being disruptive. so it's not a total lost cause.

+ i like the different abilities for people. my o-line was getting manhandled by jim marshall 1 on 1 and they started to double team him (i have 3 bronze's on the o-line, all former niners!)

overall i love the gameplay and i feel it is a nice change of pace from madden/ncaa, but its not all good

- still some very questionable moments with the AI. take a screen pass i had with craig. 3rd and 8 or something, i hit the screen pass and get a big chunk. nothin wrong with that it happened all the time in the 80's! the problem is that im running down the sideline and it appears that CB coming over has a decent angle, but instead of cutting the angle towards where the runner is going he kind of cuts it to where he is at that time, then stops for a split second, and then he's in catchup mode behind me. result: 65 yard TD that should've been about a 20 yard gain.

- another instance, this time on a craig run. sweep to the outside. all defenders are accounted for except their OLB. he has me dead to rights if he just continues on but he strangely turns around and kind of runs in the direction that im headed as well. in other words, we are both running straight ahead, not side by side cause he's actually in front of me! :lol

- still some instances of CB's not breaking up or picking a play when they should, but nothing was so god awful that it made me want to throw my controller.

- Curt Warner broke a ronnie lot super hit that was charged up. GTFO of here! you would be dead! i also didn't check to see if they made sure to not render ronnie lotts pinkie. if it is there this game sucks ass.

oh also the post game thing was cool. they went over plays and that was nice. they still need to work on it cause while 90% of the plays they showed were relevent, one was like "and look at this 20 yard pass to gary clark. the play did not pan out for the whoevers" what!? why does that play matter? you missed my sweet bootleg TD to brent jones!

maybe my opinion changes for the better or worse but right now i am pretty excited about the game and feel that it is an improvement over 2k5. i know we are going to find bugs and glitches that suck ass but hopefully they can all be tolerated.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Yeah it's too late for you.

OJ Simpson is awesome

He broke 6 defenders on the way to a 57 yard TD :lol

darkressurection said:

The helmets, uniforms, and the football itself look great. The faces . . . not so much. The field itself is just plane with a grass texture on it. But I like the way they have the players kicking up dirt as they run.

It's cool how you can play for a long time and you still see new animations from time to time.

There is a guy on the leaderboard with the gamertag 'gay2k8' . . . :lol

Presentation is well done. I don't like the fact that they tend to cut off the celebrations from the end of replays. :-/

I like the celebration manager wherein you can pick your favorite set of celebration animations and then trigger one of the 5 you pick when the event occurs (TD, sack, etc.)

newsguy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
- Curt Warner broke a ronnie lot super hit that was charged up. GTFO of here! you would be dead! i also didn't check to see if they made sure to not render ronnie lotts pinkie. if it is there this game sucks ass.

I played about 3 total games before work, but I agree with alot of what you said. What I quoted is a travesty though. I did have 2 instances where Butkus got brushed off when I had a full power blast on the guy. I want to see people get crushed, like bones shatter. When these hitters were in their prime there was fear.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I have to say I have 7 games in so far and I have to say at this point (AT THIS POINT) it feels like the best football game I've ever played. No bogus glitch game killers yet and its just hard nose football when played right. The SS's look like ass but it looks awesome on my 36inch HDTV. Plays like a dream. The D options are amazing. It's everything I've wanted in a football game. It's all the great aspects of Madden 06 for the PS2 and NCAA 04 all mixed into one. ****ing amazing.

BirdBomb

Banned
I like it. Player control on defense could be better. Momentum us too much imo, and there being no line adjustment turns me off. I still have yet to see what LB adjustment does. everything i hit makes them just stand there instead of moving. Only played 1 game though, i'm sure i'll learn more as i play more

newsguy

BirdBomb said:
I like it. Player control on defense could be better. Momentum us too much imo, and there being no line adjustment turns me off. I still have yet to see what LB adjustment does. everything i hit makes them just stand there instead of moving. Only played 1 game though, i'm sure i'll learn more as i play more

LB adjustments simply make them fake different coverages. Like choose a cover 2 and hold down the LB adjustment button and press down on the right stick. That will fake a blitz. Sometimes you see the QB make the adjustment at the line and once he throws the ball it's to late, it's going the other way. Very satisfying.

If anyone wants to play a game here in about 20 minutes, let me know.

Oh, and it sucks that you can still only change one of your WR's routes (hot route), rather than being able to change every receiver's route as you feel necessary a la Madden.

newsguy

ChrisJames said:
Oh, and it sucks that you can still only change one of your WR's routes (hot route), rather than being able to change every receiver's route as you feel necessary a la Madden.

There's an option in the menu for "enable multiple hot routes." Enjoy!

So far I'm loving it but one HUGE gripe for me. Online play must be at 30fps. For me its completly unplayable. Its so jarring from the smooth single player experience. NBA 2K8 had this same problem. :(

Zep

Banned
SNUG REVOL said:
So far I'm loving it but one HUGE gripe for me. Online play must be at 30fps. For me its completly unplayable. Its so jarring from the smooth single player experience. NBA 2K8 had this same problem. :(

You forreal? Playing vumpler earlier didnt seem that way.

Zep

Banned
I think I know why me and vump didnt notice it running slower....

Bump the game speed to FAST before your game. I think that should be something to look at for the league. Makes the game run so much faster.

Big Zep said:
You forreal? Playing vumpler earlier didnt seem that way.

Well to be fair I only played 3 games with the same host. Hopefully it was his connection. I'll have to play with a few Gaffers to make my final verdict. Slow down was the main reason I quit playing NBA 2K7. I wish there was a way to lockdown the frame rate during offline games. I think I would give up 60fps offline just so I wouldnt be so shocked once I got online.:lol

Big Zep said:
I think I know why me and vump didnt notice it running slower....

Bump the game speed to FAST before your game. I think that should be something to look at for the league. Makes the game run so much faster.

Hmm I'll have to try that.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
My GT is QVT and I could use an invite to a game if possible.

Right now I'm getting used to the idea that I blew a gold and a silver on a tackle and a guard and all I get for it is 8 yards guaranteed each time :lol

So yeah invite me and beat my ass. Sounds fun.

LiveWire

So according to my game with MrBob tonight, Ditka>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Payton. Not even close. Da Coach rang up 5 catches for 126 yards and 2TDs. We played a really tight game (0-0 at the half, 2 INTs for my D against his QB) and then I got jobbed on a Payton run which would set him up for an easy FG win in double OT so I just house blitzed to let him end it with Ditka on a corner route.

Despite victory being robbed from me, I was amazed at how well the players live up to their abilities. They're not going to dominate every down, but they are playmakers. Case in point: Russ Grimm opened up some HUGE holes for Earl Campbell, on one play even occupying a DE and DT with each arm. In total I racked up 157 yards rushing (my O-line: Grimm, Jacoby and Lachey). Something to think about when you're drafting fellas!

Also had a sweet sweet play-action on 2nd down, after a series of runs with Campbell, I called a short slants PA and hot-routed Rickey Sanders deep. Theismann hung in the pocket and delivered a wide open lob to Sanders for a 50+ yd TD.

Madden's got a lot to live up to...even with some glitches in coverage that I spotted (I'm sure MrBob has something to say about those two INTs), this game plays far far better than Madden has since like 2005. Well worth the $60, if just for the awesome remix of Rush's Tom Sawyer! :lol

ill play a season game later tonight. just played a couple online games and one off line.... i'm lovin it!

my game with bob was pretty awesome (for me). i won 28-16 i think? can't remember, but anyways there were some cool plays. one that stood out is my dude bull rushed his guy and had stabler or whoever his QB was in a lasso and stabler tried to throw and the ball came out sideways while he was falling. hard to explain but it looked cool. another time i had brent jones clear the zone in the corner of the endzone and i pushed up just a little too much for the overthrow. i like seeing things like overthrows.

but the best was my super stiff arm with craig on bob near the end! delicious! craig had like 240 yards rushing cause bob would stack the line and once i got past the first wall.... ayeeeeeee!

RBH

Ravenn17 said:
Anybody got an answer?

I haven't been able to play the game yet, but I heard that there are halftime and post-game shows that display highlights of the game (a little similar to 2K5, but without Berman). I'm unsure about the weekly highlights in season mode though.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
FrenchMovieTheme said:
stop using mods you ****ing cheater. i already reported your console to MS so you can be banned from live :D

Its not my fault Barry ran free

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Damn,to buy for the ps3 or not ? :( To play against random people.

By the time I get my 360 back,the leagues will be for Madden.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
gawd

Bart Starr f'n sucks

OJ is saving my ass *pause*
he can break out huge runs

I <3 the running animation when it's a defender on your butt. They'll actually turn their body to the side to keep an eye on the guy chasing them

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Matrix said:
Damn,to buy for the ps3 or not ? :( To play against random people.

By the time I get my 360 back,the leagues will be for Madden.

I'll still be playing by then, as I wouldn't be caught dead playing madden until it stops sucking.

I really laugh at how horrible it is going to feel for people after playing this.

unomas

Banned
I just got done playing APF2K8 for the last 4 hours and thought it was pretty damn fun. The animations were sick, but of course the graphics were lacking a bit for a next gen title. It was fun creating Eric Dickerson and running wild against the CPU for 275 yards. The best part of the game for me so far has been trying to pick out the best players for my team with the limited number of star players. Strategically that part alone makes the game a challenge. It brings a new element to the game.

Top Bottom