• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

JB1981

j-wood said:
I'll disagree with you there. MGS4, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, and then next year GT5 and Killzone 2.

This fall? All they have is R2 and LBP. One original game. Where the fuck are the games, Sony?

Jibber Hack said:
So are we still expecting that MGS4 is going to be a turnaround of fortunes for the PS3... or is it because the title is exclusive that it's going to do just that?

Man I dont know....
If you had asked me yesterday I would have said absolutely but today its like were in Bizarro world not even with GTA really not even close?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sprocket said:
no it hasn't :/ Some people try group ALL the third party games to one lump sum but that isnt how it works. Third party games sell better on the 360 and ps3 "."

I am pretty positive that is not true re: PS3.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
C4Lukins said:
What really blows my mind are all the analysts who seem to be encouraging both Sony and MS not to drop their price. As if it is not needed, and they will just continue selling indefinitely.

Because dropping the price does not guarentee enough sales to make up the drop in revenue

Cosmozone

Astounding numbers. I have thought GTA would boost the HD consoles at least a little, having seen something like it on Amazon. I'm not too sad about the GTA software itself, though. Almost 3mil is very good for a first week. I know MGS4 will sell less. :( Hang in there PS3!

HHHSMomg.gif

My sister and my mum both told me to buy Wii Fit today.

What the hell is going on?

dammitmattt said:
Why in the hell would you be glad that HD consoles focused on the hardcore gamer (aka us) aren't selling well?!?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10811140&postcount=1963

dammitmattt said:
GTA4 will double the sales of the other 8 combined next month, and that 8 includes Mario Kart, Smash, Wii Play, and GT5P.

Selling 5% more than the other top 8 combined is close to selling double, right?

You really have too much faith in HD gaming!

LCGeek

formerly sane
sprocket said:
no it hasn't :/ Some people try group ALL the third party games to one lump sum but that isnt how it works. Third party games sell better on the 360 and ps3 "."

360 not PS3 or have you missed the sales topics for WW around here.

Zerachiel

MiamiWesker said:
Yep you were right, I forgot we are living in the upside down gen. :lol

Another weird thing, Halo 3 gives the 360 a MASSIVE boost in sales. GTAIV does nothing for either system. What does it all mean?

That all the hardcores who would buy a system for GTA already have a system.

Dragon

Banned
The-Switcher said:
Wait, so instead of GTAIV being the shining beacon of hope for HD consoles zealots, it's release had the exact OPPOSITE effect?

And that HD consoles went DOWN in sales in April?

:lol

my internet blows

Dragon

Banned
The-Switcher said:
Wait, so instead of GTAIV being the shining beacon of hope for HD consoles zealots, it's release had the exact OPPOSITE effect?

Someone needs to revise the Captain Planet song for some of these people, and replace it with a Wii version. It's perfect for some of these comments.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
maybe if you idiots stopped buying shitty wii games (read: all of them) we wouldnt be in this conundrum!

we are sinking sinking NeoGAF will become CasualGAF in due time

Slavik81

I clicked on 'view post' thinking "this is your time to shine. Say something witty and intelligent; I don't like having people on my ignore list".

backitgoes.gif

:/

Once everyone recovers from their Wii-induced heart attack, could we get some more #s?

Like Okami Wii and The World Ends With You? Pretty please?

Concept17

JB1981 said:
PS3 is fucking shot.

Actually ... I don't know now ..... 360 seems like it's in pretty dire straits as well. Not much going on this summer and the only big title they have this fall is a sequel.

At least Sony can say they have blu-ray, although their fall lineup is fairly paltry too. Hell, they had more appealing 1st party titles last fall. And look where that got them ($600 tho).

Do we really need to quote your tag AGAIN?

Its doing fine. The Wii is just doing rediculously awesome. PS3 is also doing very well in Europe.

Nutter

MiamiWesker said:
Yep you were right, I forgot we are living in the upside down gen. :lol

Another weird thing, Halo 3 gives the 360 a MASSIVE boost in sales. GTAIV does nothing for either system. What does it all mean?
Im sure GTA will go on to sell 5 million on the 360, and over 2 some million for PS3, but as far as pushing hardware goes, apparently only Halo has that power.
I expect MGS4 to open under 400k for June.

Penguin

norinrad21 said:
I've been saying this for months.

The Wii has become a nightmare for 3rd parties. It just won't go away no matter how many shitty games/ PS2 ports they direct towards the wii.

Hey they can continue to justify it as long as it sells.

But at some point, someone has to realize it is pretty damn dumb to not sell your game to approximately 45% of the market.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
davepoobond said:
maybe if you idiots stopped buying shitty wii games (read: all of them) we wouldnt be in this conundrum!

Carnival Games isn't shitty, it's just misunderstood! :(

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Why are people surprised to find shitty games released for the Wii ?

Because its cheap to make, and has a large userbase. Look at the PS2 library, it has some really nice games, but it has a fuckton of shovelware too.

The absolute best part of this is that i'm hearing people spout the same ridiculous shit I bellowed in my teens about the "death of gaming" when Nintendo's dominance was on its way out and Sony came to power. It's all garbage.

Gaming didn't need my melodramatic ass to be successful, and it doesn't need yours. So let's keep the tears flowing; keep thinking you're important and that the industry will care when one person leaves when another 10 take his place.

jacobs34

The-Switcher said:

You mean the last shining beacon for people who care about console sales, for me it just an amazing game. That's really all I care about, it could have sold two copies, and I'd be happy.

Plus, Rockstar made millions of dollars within and hour of its release, so I'm sure they are not complaining. I mean, unless you are a M-Soft/PS PR guy in this thread, who cares how many systems GTA sold for either company?

Narcosis

davepoobond said:
but i'm kind of surprised at the PS3 version of GTA IV selling better than the 2:1 ratio we were led to believe.

I was actually expecting, based just off of installed base numbers, that GTA IV would sell even higher than 2 to 1 on 360. i'm not even gonna try and speculate how the PS3 version stayed so close.

NeoUltima

C4Lukins said:
What really blows my mind are all the analysts who seem to be encouraging both Sony and MS not to drop their price. As if it is not needed, and they will just continue selling indefinitely.
MS could afford a $50 drop, but Sony can't. They are already losing massive quantities of money on PS3.

So we're way past the "too early to declare a winner" stage of this gen right?

I mean anyone still buying into the first to 10 million wins? Or the idea that you can let sales languish for 7 years, and then have 3 good sales years to win it?

Are there anymore credible "wait until's" that would dramatically change the hardware dynamic or can we safely change from denying Nintendo's success to discrediting it?

The-Switcher said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Penguin said:
Hey they can continue to justify it as long as it sells.

But at some point, someone has to realize it is pretty damn dumb to not sell your game to approximately 45% of the market.

Oh I think 3rd parties are starting to get it.

I mean just this week we've gotten amazing screens from Pitfall and Lost in Blue. Real high quality stuff there.

Bulla564

Banned
JB1981 said:
This fall? All they have is R2 and LBP. One original game. Where the fuck are the games, Sony?

JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.

(Today, 08:07 PM)
Reply | Quote

sprocket

Banned
Slavik81 said:
I clicked on 'view post' thinking "this is your time to shine. Say something witty and intelligent; I don't like having people on my ignore list".

backitgoes.gif

:/

This mean I am a celebrity now? :D

Concept17 said:
Do we really need to quote your tag AGAIN?

Its doing fine. The Wii is just doing rediculously awesome. PS3 is also doing very well in Europe.
Yes, I was really more surprised about the 360's sales (given the supposed GTA4 attach ratio and such, not to mention the price difference, etc).

What's with all the hating on HD gaming in general, though?

Shanks

eatyobeans said:
Once everyone recovers from their Wii-induced heart attack, could we get some more #s?

Like Okami Wii and The World Ends With You? Pretty please?

I'm really curious how bad TWEWY bombed.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
DeaconKnowledge said:
The absolute best part of this is that i'm hearing people spout the same ridiculous shit I bellowed in my teens about the "death of gaming" when Nintendo's dominance was on its way out and Sony came to power. It's all garbage.

Gaming didn't need my melodramatic ass to be successful, and it doesn't need yours. So let's keep the tears flowing; keep thinking you're important and that the industry will care when one person leaves when another 10 take his place.
by death of gaming i think most people here mean the death of hardcore gaming. not that thats gunna happen anyway since most devs wanna make those kinds of games.

but its the 3rd parties fault for not realizing they can market serious games on the wii

Dragon

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

I see a lot of preemptive damage control.

jacobs34 said:
You mean the last shining beacon for people who care about console sales, for me it just an amazing game. That's really all I care about, it could have sold two copies, and I'd be happy.

Plus, Rockstar made millions of dollars within and hour of its release, so I'm sure they are not complaining. I mean, unless you are a M-Soft/PS PR guy in this thread, who cares how many systems GTA sold for either company?

This guy gets it.

dili

Less bitching,more software sales posting.

Persona 3 FES
The World Ends With You

How much did these games sell this month

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
NeoUltima said:
MS could afford a $50 drop, but Sony can't. They are already losing massive quantities of money on PS3.

And ps3 still costs a fuckton here in Europe. Thats why i havent bought one, and since they are somewhat selling here, i doubt we'll see a price drop here anytime soon :(

mj1108

In a matter of 3 years we've gone from "Nintendo can't compete....they should go 3rd party... lulz" to "FUCKING NINTENDO IS KILLING REEL GAEMZ!!!"

I <3 GAF.

I am speechless. I figured GTA4 would at least push a few HD consoles. My theory was correct, gamers care more about affordable gaming than HD gaming. They both need price drops ASAP. I can understand Sony being a tad hesitant, but Microsoft has no excuse imo since their console will soon be approaching 3 years on the market. Guys, I really don't think MGS4 is going to do anything for Sony hardware sales after seeing this. Day by day, I get more paranoid about the future of HD gaming and technology. :/

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Narcosis said:
I was actually expecting, based just off of installed base numbers, that GTA IV would sell even higher than 2 to 1 on 360. i'm not even gonna try and speculate how the PS3 version stayed so close.

does it prove no one cares about DLC?

does it prove GTA has a "Playstation franchise" mindset?

i think the same thing happened with DMC4. The ratio was a lot closer than we expected.

Top Bottom