• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Assassins Creed PC specs to make you cry for money

Finguo

So the rumoured system specs from the other thread are real. Assassins Creed is most likely going to make your current PC explode. There ya go, from the Ubi support site:

In order to play this game properly, your PC MUST meet or exceed these minimum requirements:

Supported OS: Windows XP / Vista (only)
Processor: Dual core processor 2.6 GHz Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or better recommended)
RAM: 2 GB (3 GB recommended)
Video Card: 256 MB DirectX 10.0–compliant video card or DirectX 9.0–compliant card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (512 MB video card recommended) (see supported list)*
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0 or 10.0 compliant sound card (5.1 sound card recommended)
DirectX Version: DirectX 10.0 libraries (included on disc)
DVD-ROM: DVD-ROM dual-layer drive
Hard Drive Space: 12 GB
Peripherals Supported: Keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended)

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI RADEON X1300-1950 / HD 2000 / 3000 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6600-6800 / 7 / 8 / 9 series

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives.

Damn, I bought a new budget gaming PC mostly for this game, but it seems I might to realign my expectations with my AMD X2 4600, 2 GB RAM and an HD3850. :(

News comes via Kotaku

Borys

Banned
Crazy.

Luckily, dark10x (???) and others confirmed that most of Ubi games that have tremendously high PC requirements actually work well on lower specced PCs.

Besides Assassin's Creed is one hell of a graphically impressive game so I for one am not surprised.

Finguo

oo Kosma oo said:
Wait you bought a budget gaming pc for AC? Oh my. I hope AltogetherAndrews doesn't find out :lol

Will he become angry? :lol

I really hope they release a demo before the release. Though it´s unlikely, I know, because there wasn´t a demo for the console versions.
Seems I will have to jump into cold water there. Had hoped, I could run this game with some AA, but well... I probably should have waited to get my hands on a 8800GT. Argggh, nVidia why did you have to let me down????

ATI RADEON X1300 - this barely plays Half Life 2 :/

me thinks they're trying to dispel a rumour caused by Borys' Crysis humbled thread

Slavik81

Wollan said:
More likely a sloppy console to pc port I would think.
Probably both. AC really does look quite good, though certainly not THAT good. Additionally, I suspect that they're actually being truthful with their minimum requirements instead of understating them as you see happen with some games.

Icarus

I'm sure that 3GB is if you're running Vista (which takes about 1GB by itself). If you're on XP, I'll bet you're fine with 2GB safely. :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ok, so my Core 2 Duo E4500 clocked at 2.75Ghz, 2GB of DDR2 ram and Radeon X1950XTX is just about cutting it, nice, I hope I get more than 30fps, if not, Ubi have done sod all optimizing for PC, gits, also, 2GB should be ok on XP, I hope.

Yes, I am buying AC for PC, and I'm going to use a 360 controller too (Yes, I have a 360 pad as my PC controller, I don't own a 360, though), bite me.

dejan

I'd really give this game at least a try. Hopefully they fix the technical shortcomings of the console version, but I doubt it.

careful

Finguo said:
Damn, I bought a new budget gaming PC mostly for this game, but it seems I might to realign my expectations with my AMD X2 4600, 2 GB RAM and an HD3850. :(

I think you'll be fine with that. Maybe not run at high res everything maxed out, but either low res / high settings or high res / medium settings you should be good.

dLMN8R

You guys are ridiculous. While those specs are high, they're not that high. You can find dual core processors for under $100, 2GB of ram for $40, and a video card that will kick the PS3 and 360 to the curb for $250.

Only a console-only gamer would be dumb enough to think otherwise. Anyone who actually knows a thing or two about PC gaming will instantly recognize that these specs are for a 2-3 year old system.

Mamesj

Banned
I match everything but the 3gb of ram...I think I'll pick this up on clearance. I'd like to play it at a better framerate than the console version :D

dLMN8R said:
Anyone who actually knows a thing or two about PC gaming will instantly recognize that these specs are for a 2-3 year old system.

Anyone who actually fact checks their epic rants before humiliating themselves would find that the 8800 series launched late November 2006...they're just barely a year old.

Zabka

Mamesj said:
Anyone who actually fact checks their epic rants before humiliating themselves would find that the 8800 series launched late November 2006...they're just barely a year old.
Supported cards start from Geforce 6600 onward.

Davidion

Those specs are high? I know my rig is relatively new but those specs are the definition of middle of the road.

Color me unimpressed.

Davidion

Anyone who's concerned about having an outdated part or two should be able to grab updated parts for relatively cheap.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't know what most of those numbers mean, but I'm assuming they mean this would melt my computer if I tried to run it.

Finguo

Well, I think what will make or break the performance in AC is the GPU. Although there is quite a wide range of cards supported it will be interesting to see which type you need to play it on high or very high.
Sure, the CPU requirements arent particularly impressive but 2 GB (or even 3) of RAM as a MINIMUM is new to me. Well except for Crysis, of course.

kswiston

I put together a budget computer that meets all the min specs listed here (except the videocard) for $400 canadian about 5 months ago (not counting monitor/mouse/keyboard). Considering Ram and Vid cards have come down quite a bit since then, you could probably put together a budget computer with the recommended (not min) specs this game for $500-600 if you shopped around. Obviously that doesn't include OS or Monitor (though I personally just reuse mine for several rigs before upgrading).

Well my year old laptop is just over the minimums, though I don't like the sound of that "laptop video cards may work but aren't supported" bit. Oh well, I wasn't planning to buy AC anyways. Nevertheless, looks like it's time to build a new desktop.

jipe

Borys said:
Luckily, dark10x (???) and others confirmed that most of Ubi games that have tremendously high PC requirements actually work well on lower specced PCs.

SC: Double Agent didn't run very well when I tried playing it last week and that was on a fairly powerful PC (Core 2 Duo 2.66 ghz, Radeon HD 3850, 2 gigabyte). It didn't look particularly good compared to other PC games, yet the performance was awful and there was a ton of bugs, even with the most recent patch installed.

I haven't tried any other PC games from Ubisoft recently, and after that experience I'm probably not going to either.

kswiston

speculawyer said:
An xbox 360 arcade is only $279.

True, but I'd hope that most people aren't buying a computer just to play assassin's creed. However, if you need a new computer anyhow, it's not THAT expensive to put together something capable of running this game.

I remember my parents spending $1500 on what was essentially a low end PC in 1994 or 1995 (486DX2-66). Now low end PCs are $500 and $1500 buys you a pretty decent rig. Considering a fair bit of inflation has happened in those past 13-14 years, it's amazing how much PCs have dropped absolute in price.

Mercutio said:
3 Gigs of RAM? I'd love to see an explanation behind that.

2GB of good DDR2 is ~$40. There's no reason not to have that in a current machine. I put a minimum of 4GB in all of my machines anymore, so I see no reason not to put 3GB as a recommended amount. If devs are going to go crazy on one spec for PCs, I'd rather it be RAM, which is the cheapest and easiest to upgrade.

strwrsxprt said:
2GB of good DDR2 is ~$40. There's no reason not to have that in a current machine. I put a minimum of 4GB in all of my machines anymore, so I see no reason not to put 3GB as a recommended amount. If devs are going to go crazy on one spec for PCs, I'd rather it be RAM, which is the cheapest and easiest to upgrade.
Not even Crysis has 3 gigs as recommended.

Xrenity

I'm totally getting this.

And as a matter of fact, I bought a new PC with this in mind.
But also for Orange Box/upcoming stuff/TV series/what not.

strwrsxprt said:
So what?

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/13916

4GB of DDR2 for $62 after rebate. I think they're allowed to set a hardware recommendation that costs the same amount as the game itself. I'm still not understanding the outrage over requiring 2GB and recommending 3GB when Ubi is known for being very conservative with their system specs on the boxes.
So? Keeping in mind Ubi's recent track records with console ports it's a sign of another shoddy port.

Top Bottom