• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

gimz

i was just talking with this guy from gamechoiceclub on MSN, he said they offer local picks up, so if you have any friends or family in Hong Kong that you can trust, you can ask them to pick it up for you and send them to you directly, it will probably save you some shipping cost :)

A_Lee_N said:
UPS just called, my DS lite will get here tomorrow, thursday. \o/

Con-fuckin-gratulations! I know that feeling of anticipation - you *will* love this unit. DS Lite has revolutionized the level of enjoyment of gaming for me totally. Let us know your impressions.

yjs666

Lik-Sang officially sucks. I'm seriously considering ordering a white from Game Choice Club, seeing how Lik-Sang will charge me $200 anyway. How much is shipping from GCC?

I know the answer is somewhere within this thread, but seeing as it's now at page 30...

Is tomorrow the supposed restock date for the latest shipment in Japan or is it Friday? I wanna go-a DS hunting soon.

Bebpo

Banned
So has anyone with an order at Play-Asia actually had there's...you know...shipped? They said they were filling a large group of pre-orders and lots of people here had their status changed to preparing order (myself included) but like 48 hours later it's still "preparing order". I understand they're probably shipping a ton of them and it's gonna take them some time to box and ship them all...but this is a little worrying that it's taking so long :(

TehOh

Bebpo said:
So has anyone with an order at Play-Asia actually had there's...you know...shipped? They said they were filling a large group of pre-orders and lots of people here had their status changed to preparing order (myself included) but like 48 hours later it's still "preparing order". I understand they're probably shipping a ton of them and it's gonna take them some time to box and ship them all...but this is a little worrying that it's taking so long :(

Yeah, mine did on Monday.

yjs666

Man I'm so envious of you Play-Asia peeps. If Australia ends up with a March 2007 launch for the Rev I'm importing from there.

E-Nature

gimz said:
i was just talking with this guy from gamechoiceclub on MSN, he said they offer local picks up, so if you have any friends or family in Hong Kong that you can trust, you can ask them to pick it up for you and send them to you directly, it will probably save you some shipping cost :)

omg I just figured I have a (almost dead) friendship with someone in hong kong. I DEFINITELY have to refresh this friendship RIGHT NOW! Gosh I love vitamin B :D :D

Timbuktu

gimz said:

It really pays to be from Hong Kong. :D And regarding the battery life, I'm still on my first charge after a few days with the DS Lite. about 13 hours of play time switching between the middle two settings of brightness and the light is still green.

Lee N

Membre
winston_pr said:
Con-fuckin-gratulations! I know that feeling of anticipation - you *will* love this unit. DS Lite has revolutionized the level of enjoyment of gaming for me totally. Let us know your impressions.

Even greater news, UPS just showed up today.. even though they said they were coming tomorrow.

It's SOO pretty. It feels like a completely new piece of hardware, colours are so vivid.

edit: oh, and those of you who were curious.. i got Shaman King: Chou Senjiryokketsu 2 for free for my patience with my preorder. Thank you Play-Asia!

yjs666 said:
Lik-Sang officially sucks. I'm seriously considering ordering a white from Game Choice Club, seeing how Lik-Sang will charge me $200 anyway. How much is shipping from GCC?

its pretty much exactly the same offer as Lik-Sang.. the shpping is something like: 22, 30, 40 for the different services

rdaubner

about 12 hours after i placed my order.
Is this a good sign? Ussually is for other retailers but anyone else had experience with them?

Akia

I'm thinking about importing a DSL. I was wondering how I'm going to charge the thing. BTW, I live in the US. Can any one answer that for me?

Akia said:
I'm thinking about importing a DSL. I was wondering how I'm going to charge the thing. BTW, I live in the US. Can any one answer that for me?

Right now, probably 199+22 shipping for the lowest end shipping.

im thinking, at this point, i may wait two weeks to see if the price drops. Im just nervous because i want it for a trip in mid May.

Akia

meltpotato said:
Right now, probably 199+22 shipping for the lowest end shipping.

im thinking, at this point, i may wait two weeks to see if the price drops. Im just nervous because i want it for a trip in mid May.

I think you misunderstood me.

Does the DSL come with a charger that I can plug into my wall at home?

Bebpo

Banned
So at the end of the day NCSX people are getting theirs shipped, while P-A people who thought theirs would be shipped are sitting twiddling their thumbs? Booo.

TehOh said:
Yeah, mine did on Monday.

Well besides you :p

So no one else had their P-A order ship? My pre-order was from 2/10 and it's still preparing order as its been since monday morning :(

weehomer

Bebpo said:
So at the end of the day NCSX people are getting theirs shipped, while P-A people who thought theirs would be shipped are sitting twiddling their thumbs? Booo.

So no one else had their P-A order ship? My pre-order was from 2/10 and it's still preparing order as its been since monday morning :(

I also ordered on 2/10, and mine is still "preparing order", too. I wonder if they just don't want people to cancel their orders now that more are becoming available?

mj1108

radioheadrule83 said:
When did you order dude?

Still posting at IGN? Their club.ign.com email just reminded me I used to post lots there :s

I ordered mine around Feb 14th, but I mailed a check in. They were still taking preorders for the 1st shipment at the time, but while my check was in the mail they stopped taking preorders. I called them up about it asking if I was still considered to be in the first shipment and they said I was since the check was in the mail at the time when they closed preorders.
Then yesterday I paid the $40 difference w/ a credit card...

TehOh

Bebpo said:

Hopefully you'll get in on the next shipment. I ordered on 2/8.

aparisi2274

PezRadar said:
NCSX seems to be really hinting of prices falling back to normal as early as next week. So Im all up for waiting just a bit.

thats what I did... I had a preorder with NCS, I told them to hold it, because there was NO CHANCE I was going to pay over $200 for this system, when in a week or two, its going to be back down to $160.

I can wait the extra week or so.

Good news peeps. The larger chains in Tokyo got T H O U S A N D S of units to put on sale today. I picked up two Navy Blue. (The white ones are most popular and sold out)...

This is definately a sign that the HKG people most of you guys have entrusted to bring you your fix are going to have units to ship.

The flow is now definately on.

I was walking past BIC Camera this morning, just around opening time... there were 40-50 people anxiously waiting outside the door. Out of sheer curiosity, I joined them and bolted through the doors at 10am... these people ran like there was no tomorrow, pushing right past me running for the escalators. I'm no fool, so I take the elevator, it's bound to be quicker. Up to the 5th floor and as the doors open, someone trips over while everyone's squeezing out the lift, the people behind trip up over him and 3 people end up on the ground. As the mass of people head towards the Toys & Games department, I notice that everyone is going the wrong way... I'm going to win, I'm going to get the DSLite before they do... woohoo.

However, once I arrive in the games department, there are no DSs on the shelves and there is no horde of people following me... zannen ne. I slowly make my way back to the elevator, only walk past the toy department and realise that all the madness of running, pushing, shoving and tripping from earlier was to by a new Masked Rider toy that came out today. Felt like a right idiot. Oh well, there's always tomorrow, I live in hope.

marvelharvey said:
I was walking past BIC Camera this morning, just around opening time... there were 40-50 people anxiously waiting outside the door. Out of sheer curiosity, I joined them and bolted through the doors at 10am... these people ran like there was no tomorrow, pushing right past me running for the escalators. I'm no fool, so I take the elevator, it's bound to be quicker. Up to the 5th floor and as the doors open, someone trips over while everyone's squeezing out the lift, the people behind trip up over him and 3 people end up on the ground. As the mass of people head towards the Toys & Games department, I notice that everyone is going the wrong way... I'm going to win, I'm going to get the DSLite before they do... woohoo.

However, once I arrive in the games department, there are no DSs on the shelves and there is no horde of people following me... zannen ne. I slowly make my way back to the elevator, only walk past the toy department and realise that all the madness of running, pushing, shoving and tripping from earlier was to by a new Masked Rider toy that came out today. Felt like a right idiot. Oh well, there's always tomorrow, I live in hope.

:lol :lol :lol

Great :D

Kroole

marvelharvey said:

:D

marvelharvey said:

Great story :lol

You were just too early it seems...

BIC Shinjuku started Gerilla selling (=unannounced) their units on the 2F from 17:00, by 20:30 they still had units to sell (white was sold out when I got there around that time).

The staff said they had between 2000-3000 units delivered that day (!).

Got my 3 DS Lite (1 Enamel Navy for me and 1 Enamel and 1 Ice Blue for my friend and his wife) today, UPS shipping. Only 3 days from HK to Italy! :D

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE screens! :D
My DS software got a second life with this baby! :)

Great and positive feedback for GamechoiceClub, nice packaging and very very good communication via MSN messenger. I will buy from them again, it's for sure! :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wait for my White Cristal to finally be sent by Play-asia... or give up and get the Blue Navy from GamechoiceClub? :-(

TehOh

Sorry about the low-quality images, my cell phone camera sucks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Anyways, I'm in love with the DS lite. Beautiful little device. I was actually amazed by how small it is.

The screen alone is worth the money, I have mine at brightness level 3 (2 is the closest to the old DS) and the difference is just amazing. I've been playing Tetris and it seems like a whole different game.

I'll report on the battery later, it's charging right now.

+ Screen is sharper and brighter
+ Tiny and light
++ Larger stylus FTW

- Attracts fingerprints like nothing else
- Start and select buttons are too small

Oh, and my free gift for being patient with Play-Asia was a copy of Shaman King 2 Card Game 2. Anybody interested in buying it for cheap?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
TehOh said:
+ Screen is sharper and brighter
+ Tiny and light
++ Larger stylus FTW

- Attracts fingerprints like nothing else
- Start and select buttons are too small
is it really that noticeable? I may go with white after all.

TehOh

Error2k4 said:
is it really that noticeable? I may go with white after all.

It's fairly noticible close up, but like Jefklak said, you can easily wipe it off.

It probably wouldn't be as noticible on the white, but I think the navy one is just more attractive than the iPod flavour.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Yesasia now says my pre-order is expected to be fulfilled on APRIL 29th!!!!!!

WTF MENG!! First time I feel kind of let down by Yesasia, but then I look around and don't really see any other place to buy them at regular price either. Places like Play-Asia aren't taking orders and charge delivery and VAT whilst Yesasia do not, it'd work out at the premium Yesasia price near enough anyway. :(

Wonder if Yesasia would change their policy if DS Lites started flooding the market, but it seems they have their price set from their supplier.

bastard666 said:
Got my 3 DS Lite (1 Enamel Navy for me and 1 Enamel and 1 Ice Blue for my friend and his wife) today, UPS shipping. Only 3 days from HK to Italy! :D

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE screens! :D
My DS software got a second life with this baby! :)

Great and positive feedback for GamechoiceClub, nice packaging and very very good communication via MSN messenger. I will buy from them again, it's for sure! :)
Mine hasn't shipped yet. This gives me hope though.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
It's pretty ironic. I was all happy that I preordered a white DS when I heard that the blue ones were delayed a week, and now they're the only ones being shipped :( It's tempting to ditch lik sang and buy a blue one, but I've already waited this long. Another 2 or so weeks won't kill me. :\

XVI

Sabaku Ika said:
Mine hasn't shipped yet. This gives me hope though.

Mine too. The order status has been "ships shortly" since tuesday, which kinda contradicts the whole "ships immedeately", which it says on the homepage.

Why dont you guys contact them via MSN. Supposedly they have great contact times over MSN and possibly you could question why the order is taking so long to ship there?

Im holding out for NCSX price drop next week, specially with the thousands of units hopping into retail all over japan the past few days.. Giddy like a school girl!

XVI

PezRadar said:
Why dont you guys contact them via MSN. Supposedly they have great contact times over MSN and possibly you could question why the order is taking so long to ship there?

Im holding out for NCSX price drop next week, specially with the thousands of units hopping into retail all over japan the past few days.. Giddy like a school girl!

Thanks for the heads up! Just did that. The staff member I talked to was really nice and said it would ship tomorrow.

Sho Nuff

Banned
This shit's still sold out everywhere in Tokyo, blahhhhhh

Sho Nuff: Nintendo let me give you money
Nintendo: LET'S SEE YOU WORK FOR IT
Sho Nuff: Fuck you. (Plays Syphon Filter)

picked up my navy baby in akiba this afternoon, on the way home from my weeklong kyoto vacation. arrived home to see that my suikoden ipod had been delivered. it's a good day =)

Top Bottom