• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pimpwerx said:
Code:
[B]Circuit	     	2004	2005	2006	2007	2008	2009	2010	Dry Avg	[/B]
Valencia	-	-	-	-	4	0	-	2	2
PEACE.
There were zero overtakes at Valencia in 2009? Its level of awfulness astounds me. At least we've qualifying to look forward to. Anyone know if they've been any other races in F1 history that share Valencia's ZERO?

Pimpwerx

I don't know how Valencia is still allowed on the calendar. Spain already has one shitty race at Barcelona, and they decided to build an even worse one in Valencia. Catalunya is already near the bottom of that list. The European Grand Prix needs to go to Brands Hatch, if we're keeping with put of putting it in the home country of the most-popular driver. I think Hamilton is a bigger draw than Alonso these days...though I know nothing of Europe.

Aren't we all glad they removed Imola years ago? I knew that track was a stinker. I'm surprised at how bad Monza's dry average is. I think it got neutered by the chicanes like Imola did. They used to be good circuits. PEACE.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
They should just open the banking back up at Monza and see what happens.

But yeah, this is a terrible fucking track. There has to be a good track somewhere in Spain that they can run at.

And hey, it could be worse.. we could be back at the GP course at Le Mans.

Dead Man

Pimpwerx said:
I don't know how Valencia is still allowed on the calendar. Spain already has one shitty race at Barcelona, and they decided to build an even worse one in Valencia. Catalunya is already near the bottom of that list. The European Grand Prix needs to go to Brands Hatch, if we're keeping with put of putting it in the home country of the most-popular driver. I think Hamilton is a bigger draw than Alonso these days...though I know nothing of Europe.

Aren't we all glad they removed Imola years ago? I knew that track was a stinker. I'm surprised at how bad Monza's dry average is. I think it got neutered by the chicanes like Imola did. They used to be good circuits. PEACE.
Imola was awesome pre Senna crash. They added a bunch of chicanes and whatnot, totally destroyed it. The modern aero probably would not have been goood for close racing there though. Maybe, it was considered a pretty low downforce circuit. And I think Monzas dry ranking may be down to Parabolica. Very hard for modern cars to follow each other through there.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Pirelli to become F1's new tyre supplier.

The FIA has announced that Pirelli has been picked as Formula 1's sole tyre supplier for three years from the start of the 2011 season.

Pirelli had emerged as a strong favourite for the deal in the wake of Bridgestone's decision to pull out after this year's campaign.

"Pirelli has been selected as the single tyre supplier for the FIA Formula One World Championship for a period of three years, commencing in 2011," said an FIA statement.

"The sole supplier will undertake to strictly respect the sporting and technical regulations implemented by the FIA."

Fellow former F1 supplier Michelin ended up as Pirelli's closest rival for the deal, with Cooper Avon having been the other main contender.

Pirelli has 44 F1 wins to its credit from several previous periods in the sport, starting in the 1950s. It was last on the grid in 1991.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84688

Deadman

Next year the teams will be allowed to use a driver adjustable rear wing to aid in overtaking. This will reduce drag and increase top speed by around 9 miles an hour. Only the following car will be allowed to use it, it will not be available for defending.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8756430.stm

Full story there.

To me this seems too artificial. If you are going to give the following car a large boost just for getting close to another car, why even bother with this - just change the rules that the other car has to get out of the way. Yes many more overtakes will happen, but they will be meaningless because they wont have been earned.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Deadman said:
Next year the teams will be allowed to use a driver adjustable rear wing to aid in overtaking. This will reduce drag and increase top speed by around 9 miles an hour. Only the following car will be allowed to use it, it will not be available for defending.

Full story there.

To me this seems too artificial. If you are going to give the following car a large boost just for getting close to another car, why even bother with this - just change the rules that the other car has to get out of the way. Yes many more overtakes will happen, but they will be meaningless because they wont have been earned.

I agree on artificial. At least with KERS both cars had it so you could use it offensively or defensively.

This way and with the blocking/weaving restrictions it seems stupid. So you wont be able to use it to catch up if you are 10 seconds behind, but only to pass when you are half a second behind?

It will result in lots of crashes I think and side swipes from going into turns side by side.

Pimpwerx

Deadman said:

Full story there.

Yikes. Do not want. If both drivers could use it then fine, but just the back driver is gonna cause problems. What about when people are running close together in a group? Where's the defender and where's the attacker? This rule either has more nuance to it than that article explains, or it's gonna be changed. It sounds like a recipe for stewards deciding races.

I also hate the annual shuffling of the rules. I wish they'd never gotten rid of KERS. It made no sense given the original reason for KERS, green technology. Even if it's not currently practical for street cars, it at least worked. Oh well. McLaren still have an edge on everyone else, and probably kept developing it. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Um, Mclaren used KERS, codeveloped by Mercedes and some other company. Mercedes never gave up on this tech and according to some info from Germany, they manage to get batteries in half the size from last year.

Williams also never gave up on KERS, they are still developing flywheel system.

So we could see several teams with better KERS systems. Oh and there will be poor man's KERS for lesser teams.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Due to the GAF meltdown with the World Cup, news was posted later today.
The 107 per cent rule will return to Formula 1 qualifying sessions in 2011, the FIA World Motor Sport Council announced on Wednesday.

The regulation was first introduced in 1996 to ensure that no cars would be able to start a race if they were deemed too much slower than the leaders. It was scrapped at the end of the 2002 season, with the introduction of single-lap qualifying for '03.

But now that qualfying has resumed to free-running sessions and there are three new teams on the grid - with another likely for 2011 - the FIA has brought back the ruling.

A statement released by the World Motor Sport Council said: "From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107 per cent of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race.

"Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable laptime in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race. Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be determined by the stewards."

The World Council also moved to eradicate slow-moving cars during qualifying sessions ruining the laps of their rivals. From 2011, a maximum time will be introduced, within which all cars will have to circulate under - even on in and out-laps.

"With immediate effect, any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically, or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers, will be reported to the stewards," the statement said. "This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.

"In order to ensure cars are not driven unnecessarily slowly on in-laps during qualifying or reconnaissance laps when the pit exit is opened for the race, drivers must stay below the maximum time set by the FIA between the safety car line after the pit exit and safety car line before the pit entry.

"The maximum time will be determined by the race director at each event prior to the first day of practice, but may be amended during the event if necessary."

navanman

Tyres
Pirelli has been selected as the single tyre supplier for the FIA Formula One World Championship for a period of three years, commencing in 2011. The sole supplier will undertake to strictly respect the sporting and technical regulations implemented by the FIA.

"Competitor's staff" FIA Licence
A proposal relating to specific licences for members of staff of competitors entered in the FIA World Championships has been submitted to the Formula One Commission. This is under consideration for implementation in the FIA Formula One World Championship from the start of 2011, with a view to inclusion in other FIA World Championships in the future.

Safety car
With immediate effect, no car may overtake until it has passed the first safety car line for the first time when the safety car is returning to the pits. However, if the safety car is still deployed at the beginning of the last lap, or is deployed during the last lap, it will enter the pit lane at the end of the lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

General safety
With immediate effect, any car being driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically, or which is deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers, will be reported to the stewards. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.

In order to ensure cars are not driven unnecessarily slowly on in-laps during qualifying or reconnaissance laps when the pit exit is opened for the race, drivers must stay below the maximum time set by the FIA between the safety car line after the pit exit and safety car line before the pit entry. The maximum time will be determined by the race director at each event prior to the first day of practice, but may be amended during the event if necessary.

The grid
From 2011, any driver whose best qualifying lap exceeds 107 per cent of the fastest Q1 qualifying time will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under exceptional circumstances, however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race. Should there be more than one driver accepted in this manner, the grid order will be determined by the stewards.

Driver adjustable bodywork
From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps.

The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated.

The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met.

Aerodynamic influence
With the exception of the parts necessary for the driver adjustable bodywork, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011.

Weight
From 2011, the minimum weight of the car must not be less than 640 kg at all times during the event.

Fuel draining
With immediate effect, if a sample of fuel is required after a practice session the car concerned must have first been driven back to the pits under its own power.

Licences
Based on his career resume and comparative F1 testing times, the World Council has approved the granting of a four-race probationary super license to Chinese driver Ho-Pin Tung.
Source

navanman

DrM said:
Um, Mclaren used KERS, codeveloped by Mercedes and some other company. Mercedes never gave up on this tech and according to some info from Germany, they manage to get batteries in half the size from last year.

Williams also never gave up on KERS, they are still developing flywheel system.

So we could see several teams with better KERS systems. Oh and there will be poor man's KERS for lesser teams.

Thats interesting news from Mercedes alright. Ferrari and Renault were pushing for a higher capacity storage for KERS next year but Mercedes objected.

Must have been because of this development alright. Means a more compact and lighter KERS for them for next year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So no stopping out on track for fuel saving reasons, and no f-ducts, just some shitty 'pass point A, pull boost lever' gimmick

Dead Man

I like the 107% rule, but the rear wing thing is ridiculous, why add another driver operated gimmick? It's not like they don't have enough to do already, with front wings, brake bias, engine mapping, gear changes, and plenty of other shit!

Just allow some automated funtions, F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle etc. It is not 1994 anymore, active suspension is not the highest tech around.

Chris R

StoOgE said:
They should just open the banking back up at Monza and see what happens.

But yeah, this is a terrible fucking track. There has to be a good track somewhere in Spain that they can run at.

And hey, it could be worse.. we could be back at the GP course at Le Mans.
I'm thinking they should just make the race a true and proper European GP. Portugal has a few decent tracks (Algarve doesn't look too bad), and I'm betting one could be found in France. Then just setup a cycle, giving the race to those two countries and say Spain, England, Germany and Italy. Keeps it fresh and interesting.

Going to read over all the rule changes now and edit my post later :lol

edit: 107% rule is fine, but give a team that misses say two races in a row an extra day of real testing to try to better their car. Otherwise newer teams won't ever to really improve their cars. I mean look how much better the new teams this year are doing.

New rear wing rule sounds like a load of crap. KERS done right with a few tweaks would be a better solution. IndyCar's solution works well I think and it varies from track to track (numbers of boosts to boost length to cooldown time, ect).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I like all of the rule changes except for the aero package thing.

Just fucking change the aero package so the cars don't create so much fucking downforce in the first place.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Some italian media are reporting that this new Ferrari upgrade is not so radical, as they hoped. It could bring 0.300 at best case scenario (if it works as they hope)

Hyphen

navanman said:
Source

Driver adjustable bodywork
From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps.

The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled the first time the driver uses the brakes after the system has been activated.

The FIA may, after consulting all the competitors, adjust the time proximity in order to ensure the purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met.

After reading, this is the first thing I thought of...

vnpapd.jpg

K.I.T.T Super-Pursuit Mode

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Renault, Mercedes fit blown diffusers
Renault and Mercedes GP are also to join the exhaust-blown diffuser gang at this weekend's European Grand Prix as teams move to copy the idea put to such good use by Red Bull Racing.

With outfits realising that blowing exhaust gasses through the diffuser can bring a good performance advantage, a lot of work has gone on in this area over recent weeks.

Red Bull Racing's RB6 has had its low exhausts since pre-season testing, while Ferrari tried out its own version of the concept during a 'filming day' test at Fiorano in Italy last week ahead of its introduction this weekend.

AUTOSPORT understands that both Renault and Mercedes GP have also tweaked their cars to make use of the system for this weekend's race in Valencia - although the latter may only trial it during Friday free practice rather than use it for the whole event.

McLaren and Williams are set to introduce their own versions of the blown diffusers for the British Grand Prix.

Paddy Lowe, the engineering director at McLaren, said earlier this week that he reckoned the advantage from a blown diffuser was easily several tenths of a second over a lap. That is why he is worried Ferrari could make a big leap forward in performance in Valencia this weekend.

"That is a concern," he said. "I think we'll have to see how they get on with it. It's a shame that some others have been slightly quicker than we were getting it, but we are where we are. I think we'll have to do what we can and see.

"It all depends at each circuit on how the different characteristics suit some cars and not others. For instance Ferrari really struggled in Turkey. I can't predict where they'll end up any more really than I can predict where we'll end up.

"What's very interesting and really great for the interest in the sport is the variation you get in very fine differentials between teams as you go through the different circuits with different characteristics. It's not very predictable."
Autosport

AndyD

aka andydumi
marvelharvey said:
After reading, this is the first thing I thought of...

images.jpg

Sounds like...

images-1.jpg

I think the certain spots around the track means they measure at certain spots, not that its available at certain spots. That's the way it reads to me.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm back :D, have been on media blackout since the Canadian GP since I wanted to watch it myself, but didn't get around to it until tonight (literally just finished watching). :lol

Late for sure but great race from McLaren and poopoo by frustrated Schumacher. Thought it was exciting throughout.

During the media blackout I missed the easy bonus question. :(

Anyway, looking forward to keeping up to date now with you all again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be interesting to see, how will cars with RBR style exhaust perform. Mercedes and Renault will also bring blown diffusers (exhaust feeding the diffuser), Ferrari will only introduce new exhaust - some pictures shows that only small part of exhaust fumes will feed the diffuser in their first iteration of new system.

It could be damage limitation race for Mclaren or even simple walk for them, if mentioned teams get into trouble due to all radical changes on their cars.

Kovalainen arrived in Valencia at 5 am this morning. His flight was cancelled due to air traffic control strike in France, so he had to drive from Geneva to Valencia (1000 km+)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't get the fantasy f1 manager team edit. I currently have both chassis and engine by Red Bull, so I wanted to switch the engine to McLaren, to cover my bases. McLaren is 1m less than Red Bull for engines. But rather than getting a refund, its costing me nearly 4m to change to a cheaper team - wtf!

Chris R

mrklaw said:
I don't get the fantasy f1 manager team edit. I currently have both chassis and engine by Red Bull, so I wanted to switch the engine to McLaren, to cover my bases. McLaren is 1m less than Red Bull for engines. But rather than getting a refund, its costing me nearly 4m to change to a cheaper team - wtf!
Costs money to switch, broker fee if you will.

Igo

I was absorbed in the WC and completely forgot about the bonus question. Thats twice now and it's cost me 7 million.

Fuck it. No changes and i'll just hope for the best.

navanman

Another long and detailed article from scarbF1 blog on the blown diffuser which is set to become the new double deck diffuser of this season.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/exhaust-driven-diffusers/

Not withstanding the 2009 downforce reduction rules, the diffuser continues to be the dominant factor in aero design. Making the most of creating low pressure under the rear of the cars bodywork is as important as ever. Last year we saw teams exploit rule loopholes to create additional underbody inlets feeding larger exit areas, known as the double diffuser. This year teams have further exploited these rules for ever larger inlets and outlets. However it has again fallen to Red Bulls Adrian Newey to look at the history book and re-invent a concept that has since fallen out of favour. Last year he did this with the pull rod rear suspension and this year it has been the exhaust driven diffuser. By mounting the exhaust outlets in line with the floor, they blow through the diffuser driving greater airflow and hence creating more downforce. It seems for the team’s midseason upgrades, many will follow Red Bulls lead.
It was Adrian Newey at McLaren that raced the last heavily blown diffuser, the MP4-16 exited its pipes low down in the middle of the diffuser. In 2002 the MP4-17 went to periscope exits due the demands of the Mercedes engine.
Newey reverted to a blown diffuser for the highly experimental MP4-18 in 2003. The exhausts exited relatively high in the side channels to blow into the taller middle tunnel. However the routing of the exhaust past the all new carbon fibre (double clutch) gearbox lead to problems and along with other technical issues the car never raced.
In the RB6′s case Newey made an opening in the diffuser to allow the diffuser to be blown both under and over by the exhaust. This probably helps the airflow going up the outside shoulder of the upper diffuser deck, which probably has little energy and struggles to keep attached. Other teams this weekend may be expected to run a diffuser blown over the top, which perhaps offers less potential then a through blown diffuser, but at least will be legal next year when double diffuser are by banned by new rules preventing openings in the diffuser.
Another misconception of the low exhaust is the effect on tyre temperature. It’s possible the exhaust does affect the inner shoulder of the rear tyres, but this may well be an effect teams want to discourage. Any tyre heating will certainly be secondary benefit of the system and the sole reason for going with low exhausts. Its interesting to note Red Bull have run a fence on the floor between the exhaust and rear tyre. This probably helps keep unwanted heat from the tyres. But in Canada, where tyre temperatures were, this fence was removed. It could be that the tyre heating effect could be a tuneable parameter, by varying the heat shielding around the coke bottle area.

navanman

Hard to tell anything from practice today.
McLaren easily on the quickest in FP1 and then in FP2, Red Bull & Alonso very much on the pace with McLaren back quite a bit.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
navanman said:
Hard to tell anything from practice today.
McLaren easily on the quickest in FP1 and then in FP2, Red Bull & Alonso very much on the pace with McLaren back quite a bit.
RBR should snatch 1-2, they are always behind on Friday and then BAM on Saturday. Mclaren could be hiding real pace (check Canada FP2, with 7th and 11th place), we do not know.

Fernando was also the fastest last year on FP2.... Ferrari looks good only when he is driving, Felipe is just a mere shadow of former self. But it is nice to see Ferrari fans already celebrating Sunday's victory :lol

S. L.

yeah, FP3 is where RBR will show their pace.

I'm leaving my setup unchanged from two weeks ago. it's just too costly with my 10% broker fee to gamble around with minimal possible gains

Dead Man

http://planetf1.com/news/18227/6228468/Webber-New-rules-good-for-PlayStation
Mark Webber reckons the FIA's decision to introduce moveable rear wings next season may be good on a PlayStation game but he doesn't think it will work on a race-track.

On Wednesday, the FIA approved several new regulations for next year's Championship including the introduction of an adjustable rear wing, which will allow the drivers to open a slot gap in their car's rear wing thereby increasing straight-line speed.

"From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps," said the FIA statement.

"The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit.

But not everyone is in favour of the idea.

According to Red Bull's Webber, overtaking should be "skillful" and "tactical" and not helped by a sudden speed advantage.

"It is good for the PlayStation I think, but I don't know how well it is going to work in F1," said the Aussie.

"We need to put some good research into it, understand it and make sure it is beneficial for everyone - the drivers, the show, the spectators and safety, which is a big thing.

"Overtaking moves should be about pressurising, being skillful, and tactical. Yes we want to see more overtaking, of course we do, we know that, but we also need to keep the element of skill involved in overtaking and not just hitting buttons, like KERS, like adjustable rear wings.

"We need to get the balance right in having skillful races between each other, and not an IRL race where you pass each other four times per lap and everyone gets bored of that."
I sort of agree with him in principle, but I do think everyone having KERS is a good idea, especially if they can modify it. The rest of the technical rules can go suck a fat one though.

Seanspeed

Banned
DrM said:
RBR should snatch 1-2, they are always behind on Friday and then BAM on Saturday. Mclaren could be hiding real pace (check Canada FP2, with 7th and 11th place), we do not know.

Fernando was also the fastest last year on FP2.... Ferrari looks good only when he is driving, Felipe is just a mere shadow of former self. But it is nice to see Ferrari fans already celebrating Sunday's victory :lol
For one, last year when Alonso was fastest, it was clearly a glory lap. Studying the times showed this very blatantly, and nobody except the fairweather fan who doesn't understand to look beyond just final times would be fooled.

Here, though, the car is definitely looking pretty good. I dont see *anybody* celebrating just yet, though. I've no idea where you got that from. In fact, all I've seen is very reserved optimism, which seems quite justified.

Leunam

f6Pdz.png

After the exciting race in the Canadian GP, Formula 1 takes us to Valencia. Driver opinions are divided on the current iteration of the European Grand Prix. Some enjoy the drive while others dislike the lack of overtaking brought on by the design of the course. Expect most position changes to stem from pit stop strategies in this race.

pq5Ai.png

ZUXoO.png

In 1998, the European Grand Prix was dropped from the schedule, but returned in 1999 when the race at Nürburgring re-adopted the European Grand Prix name.

The 1999 race was notable for the torrential rain conditions which saw many experienced drivers slide off the circuit, presenting Johnny Herbert with the opportunity to take Stewart Grand Prix's first (and only) victory in its final season before being sold to Ford.

The race continued to be held at the Nürburgring until 2007. On August 29, 2006 it was announced that it had been removed from the F1 calendar for the 2007 season. From then there would only be one GP hosted in Germany each year, alternating between Hockenheimring and Nürburgring. However, what the name of this Grand Prix would be was uncertain for a time; while originally intended to be the German Grand Prix from 2007, the Nürburgring race of 2007 was renamed "Großer Preis von Europa" (European Grand Prix) due to a dispute over the ownership of the title German Grand Prix.

In 2008 and 2009 the European Grand Prix took place in Valencia, Spain. During the 2009 event, Valencia signed a deal for a further 5 races, which puts Valencia on the calendar until 2014.

Onboard Lap

Onboard Lap of the Valencia Street Circuit courtesy of Williams driver Rubens Barrichello

rfVwl.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Timo Glock - Toyota - 1:38.683
Most Wins
Michael Shumacher - 6 (Includes former iteration of European GP)
Most Wins for Constructor
Ferrari - 6 (Includes former iteration of European GP)

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from European GP 2006 held in Germany

Highlights from European GP 1955 held in Monaco

Previous Winners

tfnHW.png

Championship Standings

HCMZo.png

Last Minute News

Back on Track: Exclusice Q & A with Sebastien Buemi
Friday Analysis - Blown diffuser promising for Ferrari
Fernando Alonso 'optimistic' of strong race in Valencia
Changes made to allow more overtaking in F1
McLaren believe Ferrari could have edge in Valencia

Pimpwerx

If anyone wants a more detailed track layout for Valencia, I took some feces and smeared it on a piece of paper. The details you ask? I ate nuts. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Seanspeed said:
I dont see *anybody* celebrating just yet, though. I've no idea where you got that from. In fact, all I've seen is very reserved optimism, which seems quite justified.
Uh, several other forums, where Ferrari fans suddenly appeared like cockroaches from old woodwork. Mostly rabid spanish Alonso fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari took some risky gamble with Alonso today and tommorow.This is Santanders' home GP and they want some results.

But it should be close battle between Mclaren, RBR and Ferrari. And maybe Nico can join the fray.

Busy day today: epic Moto2 in Assen, MotoGP in Assen and qualies in Valencia

Jinjo

Pimpwerx said:
If anyone wants a more detailed track layout for Valencia, I took some feces and smeared it on a piece of paper. The details you ask? I ate nuts. PEACE.

:lol

There's already damage control by Bridgestone too. Don't worry Bridgestone, we know about the crapfest that is Valencia. This is one raceweekend I am not sad about to miss. (Let's see if the "every-race-Jinjo-misses-is-a-McLaren-1-2" theory holds up now too. I wouldn't place your bets on it now though.)

Also, why no mention about the US F1 fine and ban from F1? It's a shame for the american fans, but it's well deserved.

Dead Man

Jinjo said:
:lol

There's already damage control by Bridgestone too. Don't worry Bridgestone, we know about the crapfest that is Valencia. This is one raceweekend I am not sad about to miss. (Let's see if the "every-race-Jinjo-misses-is-a-McLaren-1-2" theory holds up now too. I wouldn't place your bets on it now though.)

Also, why no mention about the US F1 fine and ban from F1? It's a shame for the american fans, but it's well deserved.
Valencia is quickly becoming my least favourite GP. It was Hungary, with the Hungaroboring, but at least then the coverage was not all about how glamorous the location was, and how good the facilities are. To have to hear that AND have a boring race? Least anticipated GP of the year.

Jinjo

Dead Man said:
Valencia is quickly becoming my least favourite GP. It was Hungary, with the Hungaroboring, but at least then the coverage was not all about how glamorous the location was, and how good the facilities are. To have to hear that AND have a boring race? Least anticipated GP of the year.

Yes this too. All you hear is how Valencia's facilities are so awesome etc. and every year I only see white and grey walls and buildings. The locale is so boring. Quickly becoming? It is my least favourite GP since 2 years already.

Zinga

Banned
You guys are right, Valencia is the worst track of the year, well has been for the last two years anyway, but you never know even the worst tracks can have exciting races sometimes so hopefully we will see something like that happen on Sunday.

Pimpwerx

Zinga said:
You guys are right, Valencia is the worst track of the year, well has been for the last two years anyway, but you never know even the worst tracks can have exciting races sometimes so hopefully we will see something like that happen on Sunday.
Let's all hope for the best. I remember one year Alonso won the Hungary GP, it actually produced an exciting dry race. The win was a foregone conclusion, IIRC, as the story of the day was Fonso lapping Schuey's Ferrari. Hell, even Ralf was passing people that day.

I don't know if that was the Michelin tire advantage that had the Ferraris so far down, but it was an interesting race. Of course, the wet races on these difficult tracks like Hungary and Monaco end up being extra exciting as good drivers can really stretch their legs. Too bad we're not getting any rain this weekend. If Valencia even rainy? I assume it's near the Meditteranean. I'd like to see a wet race at Valencia before writing it off, but I don't know if I have the patience. The circuit needs to be reprofiled to create some overtaking zones.

You know you got problems when you trail Monaco and Magny-Bore in excitement. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

DrM said:
RBR will use F-duct on quolies and in the race.
Am I the only person that likes RBR's gamesmanship? Their weekend testing program is weird. They're always down the grid in FP1, but we know they'll be at the sharp end by the end of FP3.

Certainly they're just sandbagging and not actually coming to terms at such a ridiculous pace each weekend, right? I also assume part of it is due to the transition from a dog of a car to a race-winner. They might need to compile new data for each track since their car is leagues faster than last year (relative to the field, that is). PEACE.

navanman

Vettel puts in the fastest time so far, they are looking great with their F-duct and blitzing the rest of the field in last 2 corners.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Pimpwerx said:
Am I the only person that likes RBR's gamesmanship? Their weekend testing program is weird. They're always down the grid in FP1, but we know they'll be at the sharp end by the end of FP3.
Or even they wait till Q3 to show their cards. And then bam, 0.300 faster.

Traffic will be huge problem, drivers are losing almost half a second due to slower cars infront.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom