• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igo

Dead Man said:
You mean his drive through that dropped him back to eighth?

I thought it was his pit stop that dropped him to eighth and not the drive through. And that was only because the different pit strategies were cycling through at the time.

Found some race notes.

At lap 3 Barrichello leads Webber. Kovalainen, Button, Massa, Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen, Adrian Sutil, Rosberg and Robert Kubica.

A line of cars start to form behind Kovalainen in third place.

At lap 10 Barrichello leads Webber by 0.9 seconds, the pair breaking away from Kovalainen (14.9s), Button (15.1s), Massa (16.5s), Vettel (16.9s), Raikkonen (18.7s), Sutil (21.8s), Rosberg (25.3s) and Kubica (26.2s) in tenth place.

The stewards report that Webber and Barrichello are under investigation.

Webber is then given a drive-through penalty for "causing a collision" at the start.

On lap 15 Barrichello pits for tyres and fuel while Webber makes his drive-through penalty.

At lap 16 Webber leads Massa, Barrichello, Vettel, Raikkonen, Sutil, Rosberg, Kubica, Fisichella and Alonso.

On lap 20 Webber pits from the lead with a 12 second gap on second place, and rejoins in eighth place.

So he was leading after his drive through because of the large gap he and Rubens had built because of the Kova train. He then builds a 12 second gap to Massa before he stops and rejoins in 8th. Once all stops have cycled through Webber is back in 2nd place.

Dead Man

Igo said:
I thought it was his pit stop that dropped him to eighth and not the drive through. And that was only because the different pit strategies were cycling through at the time.

Found some race notes.

At lap 3 Barrichello leads Webber. Kovalainen, Button, Massa, Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen, Adrian Sutil, Rosberg and Robert Kubica.

A line of cars start to form behind Kovalainen in third place.

At lap 10 Barrichello leads Webber by 0.9 seconds, the pair breaking away from Kovalainen (14.9s), Button (15.1s), Massa (16.5s), Vettel (16.9s), Raikkonen (18.7s), Sutil (21.8s), Rosberg (25.3s) and Kubica (26.2s) in tenth place.

The stewards report that Webber and Barrichello are under investigation.

Webber is then given a drive-through penalty for "causing a collision" at the start.

On lap 15 Barrichello pits for tyres and fuel while Webber makes his drive-through penalty.

At lap 16 Webber leads Massa, Barrichello, Vettel, Raikkonen, Sutil, Rosberg, Kubica, Fisichella and Alonso.

On lap 20 Webber pits from the lead with a 12 second gap on second place, and rejoins in eighth place.

So he was leading after his drive through because of the large gap he and Rubens had built because of the Kova train. He then builds a 12 second gap to Massa before he stops and rejoins in 8th. Once all stops have cycled through Webber is back in 2nd place.
From memory his stop was later than most, so it was not other stops that cycled him back. Regardless, even if he only lost one place, it was still not 'unscathed'.

Igo

Dead Man said:
From memory his stop was later than most, so it was not other stops that cycled him back. Regardless, even if he only lost one place, it was still not 'unscathed'.

Of those ahead of him only Barrichello had already pitted. So after the pit stops had cycled though he was back in 2nd position. The position he was in before the drive through.

The drive through probably cost him the lead although I can't be sure. Rubens was stuck behind Massa losing time but i'm not positive whether Webber would have rejoined ahead of Massa or right behind Rubens if not for the drive through. Didn't matter in the end though because Brawn had fuel rig problems that screwed Rubens and left him off the podium.

I thought the situations were similar enough with Kova holding everyone up the way Kobayashi did, ensuring that the drive through had little to no impact.

Lince

Banned
everyone here taking for granted that taking 10+ laps to notice how a car overtakes the SC is perfectly normal and acceptable, oh well, you're the experts here.

Juicy Bob

Lince said:
everyone here taking for granted that taking 10+ laps to notice how a car overtakes the SC is perfectly normal and acceptable, oh well, you're the experts here.

I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees that the Valencia stewards took a ridiculously long time to give Lewis his penalty. And apart from Pimpwerx, I can't think of anyone else who has expressed that Lewis is their favourite driver, so I can't quite work out where the 'Lewis is the golden-child' thing is coming from. Rest assured, the people complaining about what happened in Germany are the same people who complained when Alonso was penalised in Monza 2006.

Lucius86

Banned
Juicy Bob said:
I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees that the Valencia stewards took a rediculously long time to give Lewis his penalty. And apart from Pimpwerx, I can't think of anyone else who has expressed that Lewis is their favourite driver, so I can't quite work out where the 'Lewis is the golden-child' thing is coming from. Rest assured, the people complaining about what happened in Germany are the same people who complained when Alonso was penalised in Monza 2006.

I think F1 has a unique following because many people watch the races without a clear favourite driver/team. It's not like football or hockey where I follow my team with utter dedication - I watch F1 for the thrill of it. Yes, I want the Brits to do well (Button more than Hamilton for the record), but I don't follow them.

Or maybe that's just me :lol

moojito

megateto said:
So you are absolutely sure that the fuel thing really refers to fuel levels and it's not a secret code to keep still?

I don't know where you watch your f1 races, but on the BBC they explain pretty much every race how the cars are all deliberately underfuelled and none of them would be able to finish a race flat out. They all depend on having some time they can dial the engine down a bit.

Juicy Bob

Lucius86 said:
I think F1 has a unique following because many people watch the races without a clear favourite driver/team. It's not like football or hockey where I follow my team with utter dedication - I watch F1 for the thrill of it. Yes, I want the Brits to do well (Button more than Hamilton for the record), but I don't follow them.

I'm just the same as you in that way. I don't think I've ever had a favourite team or driver my whole life (although I'll admit I marked-out for Minardi in Melbourne '02 pretty hard).

Seanspeed

Banned
Lucius86 said:

I disagree. F1 can be just as polarizing as any other competitive sport when it comes to fan allegiances.

Any sport can be watched with neutrality. Its called being a 'casual' fan. I dont think there's many hardcore F1 fans without some sort of allegiances. Some, I'm sure, but they're probably in the minority.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Seanspeed said:
I disagree. F1 can be just as polarizing as any other competitive sport when it comes to fan allegiances.

Any sport can be watched with neutrality. Its called being a 'casual' fan. I dont think there's many hardcore F1 fans without some sort of allegiances. Some, I'm sure, but they're probably in the minority.

I think F1 has fans who like drivers and fans who like teams, and then also general fans. So the different types of fans balance out. Other sports usually have either team fans or player fans, rarely both.

Lucius86

Banned
Seanspeed said:

Well obviously you have the Tifosi, but I just get the impression there are far more neutrals in F1 compared to other sports. But it could just be me imagining it.

operon

Dead Man said:
Nah, that's enough help for this idiot! :lol Thanks.

Edit: Great site, how come I never knew about it?!

I have to admit I only stumbled on it whilst looking for the answer to this question:D

S. L.

Joba62x said:
I went to the Hungarian Gran prix wiki for each year and counted, I couldnt find it anywhere. Start at the first race
hint hint
check other languages wiki sites for better listings... like the German one ;)

Deadman

Its Senna.

Shame the odds for alonso winning have dropped massively this weekend, i was going to bet on him but it seems hardly worth it now.

kitch9

Banned
megateto said:
So you are absolutely sure that the fuel thing really refers to fuel levels and it's not a secret code to keep still?

If it is nobody knows, the problem is one half of Ferrari was pissed at the other half and made it blatantly obvious what was going on......

Its their own stupid fault for not making it clear to the entire team what would happen in a one - two scenario such as that.....

Leunam

gssSy.png

This weekend the 2010 Formula One championship continues in Hungary. Ferrari, who is eager to shake off a controversial finish in Germany, hopes to silence its detractors by proving to everyone once again that they are still in the running for world champions. Coming just a week after the previous race, the teams will have to make quick preparations for a fresh race, with little time for rest in between.

Bii2U.png

NSyUp.png

The first Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungarian: Magyar Nagydíj) was held on June 21, 1936 over a 3.1-mile (5.0 km) track laid out in Népliget, a park in Budapest. The Mercedes-Benz, Auto Union, and Ferrari teams all sent three cars and the event drew a very large crowd. However, politics and the ensuing war meant the end of Grand Prix motor racing in the country for fifty years.

A major coup by Bernie Ecclestone, the 1986 Hungarian Grand Prix was the first Formula One race to take place behind the Iron Curtain. Held at the twisty Hungaroring near Budapest, the race has been a mainstay of the racing calendar. Run in the heat of a central European summer, it also held the distinction of being the only current Grand Prix venue that had never seen a wet race up until the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix. The first Grand Prix saw 200,000 people spectating, although tickets were expensive at the time. Today, the support is still very enthusiastic, particularly from Finns.

Due to the nature of the track, narrow, twisty and often dusty because of under-use, the Hungarian Grand Prix is associated with processional races, with sometimes many cars following one another, unable to pass. Thierry Boutsen demonstrated this perfectly in 1990, keeping his slower Williams car in front of champion-elect Ayrton Senna, unable to find a way by. The secret to a winning performance at Hungaroring, as well as qualifying well, is pit strategy, best demonstrated in 1998, where Michael Schumacher's Ferrari team changed his strategy mid-race before Schumacher put in one of his finest drives to build up a winning margin after all the stops had been made. Passing is a rarity here, although the 1989 race saw a famously bullish performance from Nigel Mansell in the Ferrari, who started from 12th on the grid and passed car after car, finally taking the lead in splendid opportunist style when Ayrton Senna was baulked by a slower runner. The circuit was modified slightly in 2003 in an attempt to allow more passing.

Other notable occasions in Budapest include first Grand Prix wins for Damon Hill in 1993, Fernando Alonso (in 2003), the first Grand Prix winner from Spain, who also became the youngest ever driver to win a GP, Jenson Button in an incident-packed race in 2006, and Heikki Kovalainen in 2008. Also noteworthy is Damon Hill's stunning near win in the unfancied Arrows-Yamaha in 1997, when his car lost drive on the last lap causing him to coast in second place.

In 2001, Michael Schumacher equalled Alain Prost's then record 51 Grand Prix wins at the Hungaroring, in the drive which also secured his 4th World Title.

The 2006 Grand Prix was the first to be held here in wet conditions. It also saw Mansell's seventeen-year-old record of winning from 12th broken, as Button took his victory from 14th place on the grid.

At the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, it was confirmed that Hungary will continue to host a Formula 1 race until 2016.

Onboard Lap

Onboard lap of the Hungaroring courtesy of Mercedes GP driver Michael Schumacher.

6yyXf.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Mark Webber - Red-Bull Renault - 1:21.931
Most Wins
Michael Schumacher - 4
Most Wins for Constructor
McLaren - 9

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from Hungarian GP 2006 (You may have to create your own soundtrack.)

Previous Winners

vpAXh.png

Drivers Championship Standings

KXQal.png

Constructors Championship Standings

n8n4E.png

NeoGAF Championship Standings

5rzgq.png

Last Minute News

Hungary Preview - Alonso out to silence Ferrari critics
Q&A: McLaren’s Paddy Lowe on front wings, wheel tethers & more
McLaren expect a struggle at the Hungary Grand Prix
Ferraris Felipe Massa in emotional return to Hungary
Sakon Yamamoto in for Karun Chandhok again at Hispania
Jordan wants team orders rule ditched after Ferrari row

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The whole Alonso thing has covered over the really interesting news from the German GP which is the whole flexible front wings issue.

Red Bull and Ferrari have their front wing flex at speed but it won't flex under testing conditions. This will give a large downforce advantage which makes RBR so good in high speed corners.

James Allen has definite proof that this is happening even though both teams deny it.

FLEXI-BEST2.jpg

FLEXI-Ferr.jpg

FLEXI-MC1.jpg

felxi-wing31.jpg

flexi-wing-2.jpg

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/07/photo-exclusive-red-bull-flexi-front-wing-judge-for-yourself/

S. L.

well, that wasn't overly exciting.
Only surprise was that RBR pushed for fast laps already. But considering the track, concentrating on quali isn't such a bad idea i guess.

S. L.

Lucius86 said:
Were they really? I thought they were doing similar runs to the rest of the pack, but were just a second faster.
well it could be i guess.
They have similar times in S1 to the rest of the pack, but in S2 and S3, i.e. the cornery stuff, they are maddening fast.

Lucius86

Banned
S. L. said:
well it could be i guess.
They have similar times in S1 to the rest of the pack, but in S2 and S3, i.e. the cornery stuff, they are maddening fast.

Just where that extra bit of downforce from a bendy front wing comes in handy....

Lucius86

Banned
Too early to say. He definitely had technical problems, but I would have thought he pumped in a quick lap or two before the end of FP1 when he went back out. If he's still half a second off Button in FP2 then I think it's clear he's just not dialled in to the track yet.

operon

Taekn a gamble and changed chassis and engine from Mclaren to Red Bull, Mclaren seem to be in a bad patch at the moment where speed is concerned

Pimpwerx

I forgot to answer the bonus question this week. That money would have come in handy this week. I'm gonna be kicking myself for a while over that. Looks like the Red Bulls are gonna stomp everyone this weekend. They're never this fast on Friday. Wow! Ferrari and McLaren will close ground, but damn they are fast. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

navanman said:
The whole Alonso thing has covered over the really interesting news from the German GP which is the whole flexible front wings issue.

Red Bull and Ferrari have their front wing flex at speed but it won't flex under testing conditions. This will give a large downforce advantage which makes RBR so good in high speed corners.

James Allen has definite proof that this is happening even though both teams deny it.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/07/photo-exclusive-red-bull-flexi-front-wing-judge-for-yourself/
Clever. It's always been that way. Renault was probably the worst offender years ago. Seemed like everything moved on that car. Plus, McLaren's front wing has always flexed in the upper fin. It's why it's unbraced. That...and you can see it anytime they use a front wing cam. :lol McLaren gotta get their shit together on this. That's gotta be making a difference in cornering speed. PEACE.

Juicy Bob

The thing about the Ferrari and the Red Bulls' front wings, as Christian Horner said on the BBC, is that they've passed the FIA tests so it doesn't matter what the other teams say.

BAW

Banned
WTF? Red Bull front wing almost touches the ground!

No, we need rules that impose inflexibility even under very big loads, please no more "I need to learn how to cheat the regulations as well" mentality.

S. L.

BAW said:
WTF? Red Bull front wing almost touches the ground!

No, we need rules that impose inflexibility even under very big loads, please no more "I need to learn how to cheat the regulations as well" mentality.
no, it's all part of the game. that's what makes following the technical side of f1 interesting.
The wing is inflexible according to the regulations in the fia tests... thats why McL and others are scratching their heads :lol

mclem

There's quite an extensive discussion on this in the comments of that James Allen post. It seems that the argument which might hold up is that the *test* for the rule is actually distinct from the rule itself, and the F1A are entirely entitled to adapt the test for the rule as required if they feel that someone is using an item that passes the test but breaks the rule.

The rule which RB *may* have broken:

3.15 Aerodynamic influence :
With the exception of the cover described in Article 6.5.2 (when used in the pit lane), the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.18 and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance :
- must comply with the rules relating to bodywork ;
- must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom) ;
- must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the
ground is prohibited under all circumstances.
No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the skid block in 3.13 above, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane.

The test for the rule, which RB passes:

3.17.1 Bodywork may deflect no more than 10mm vertically when a 500N load is applied vertically to it 800mm forward of the front wheel centre line and 795mm from the car centre line. The load will be applied in a downward direction using a 50mm diameter ram and an adapter 300mm long and 150mm wide. Teams must supply the latter when such a test is deemed necessary.

The 'loophole' rule which may be the problem for RB:

3.17.8 In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.15 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.

In short: They can pass the test but still be breaking the rules.

I don't think they break the rules, they just interpreted the tolerances given by rule 3.17.1 differently then say McLaren.

500N is not much and 10mm is allowed. In the real world the pressure on the wing is much higher. The rule interpretation of RB is probably that they extrapolated these numbers. For example 1000N allows 20mm etc.

It's not even much of a grey area because the flexing per se is not forbidden and cannot be forbidden because its impossible to make a 100% stiff bodywork.

So what FIA has to do is to rewrite these rules if they don't want to accept this interpretation.

mclem

Steppenwolf said:
So what FIA has to do is to rewrite these rules if they don't want to accept this interpretation.

They don't need to rewrite the rules, just design a new test (permitted by 3.17.8) which catches out cars which breach 3.15, even if the existing test (3.17.1) doesn't detect them.

All this is catered for by the existing rulebook as it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom