• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Steppenwolf said:
Nonsense. He didn't develop the parts that broke in the two races. Spark plugs and brake discs come from third party manufacturers. This could happen to anyone. It was just a streak of bad luck.

There's no smoke without a fire. Red Bull has been plagued by unreliability issues for ages. They ruined Vettel's chances of winning last season, and the same thing is happening this season. He might not have developed the parts that broke, but he's responsible for the car design and ultimately what goes into it. If they continue to use unreliable or incompatible parts to build their car, then they'll never win a world championship. You can't win if you can't finish a race, it doesn't matter how fast you are when you're actually racing.

Igo

Timbuktu said:
If Hamilton really thought it was a bad idea to come in again, he should have told them so. McLaren let Button take the risk of coming in early, so I'd think they would let Lewis stay out too if he really wanted.

No doubt he did an amazing drive, but the ranting shows him losing his cool more than his passion for racing. Has he got a new manager yet? It does seem like he needs one. Through the weekend Button seems a lot more pleasant to be around, and with his girlfriend and his dad at the McLaren garage, he seems to be settling in very nicely.

McLaren asked Button if he wanted to come in now or wait. Whether they gave lewis the same option or just said "box this lap" I don't know. What we're left with is that they offered Button the right strategy and gave lewis the wrong one. Points lost in Lewis' divers challenge and McLaren's constructors championship. Not to mention they sent Lewis out on used tires for Q2 yesterday apparently. Hopefully they get it right for the next race.

Vettel, Alonso and Lewis are simply a class above the rest. We should be in for a interesting season.

Oh no repeat of Indy 07 from Alonso either. Good for him and the team.

Mohonky

"Mark Webber"
Speaking about his dive down the inside - and into - Hamilton, Webber blamed his RB6, saying it was a problem with his front wing and just a part of racing.

As an Australian all I have to say is; fuck you you fucking donkey turd. I used to give this guy the benefit of the doubt with his numerous offs and other incidents dragging him down the order, but when he clearly fucks up and puts someone else out, he just shrugs it off. When he gets taken out, he bitches like a little school girl. He has done it for a few years now and I've witnessed plenty of incidents that when he's on the receiving end of, he cries, but when he fucks up it's 'just racing.'

So tired of his hypocrisy.

Igo said:
McLaren asked Button if he wanted to come in now or wait. Whether they gave lewis the same option or just said "box this lap" I don't know. What we're left with is that they offered Button the right strategy and gave lewis the wrong one. Points lost in Lewis' divers challenge and McLaren's constructors championship. Not to mention they sent Lewis out on used tires for Q2 yesterday apparently. Hopefully they get it right for the next race.

Vettel, Alonso and Lewis are simply a class above the rest. We should be in for a interesting season.

Oh no repeat of Indy 07 from Alonso either. Good for him and the team.
You dismiss Michael Schumacher at your own peril.

Deadman

F1 fantasy site is down to update the points, but you can still view the points page using google cache and then work them out for yourself. I reckon im on for 638 points this week, nice.

avaya

subzero9285 said:

But this is not the Michael of 1993-2000 who was several levels above anyone right now.

Also find it amusing that Massa is being dismissed. Surprises in store.

jey_16

Banned
Mohonky said:
As an Australian all I have to say is; fuck you you fucking donkey turd. I used to give this guy the benefit of the doubt with his numerous offs and other incidents dragging him down the order, but when he clearly fucks up and puts someone else out, he just shrugs it off. When he gets taken out, he bitches like a little school girl. He has done it for a few years now and I've witnessed plenty of incidents that when he's on the receiving end of, he cries, but when he fucks up it's 'just racing.'

i'm pretty sure he said it was his mistake and he apologized to Hamilton...

Mohonky

jey_16 said:
i'm pretty sure he said it was his mistake and he apologized to Hamilton...

It's all well and good to say 'oh whoops sorry dude' after that but it's all crocodile tears. He has whinged bitched and moaned about other 'kids' on the race track for years now. It was obvious what was going to happen, when Hamilton made a move on Alonso he was going to try one on the both of them. Hamilton managed to do enough to distrupt Alonso and possibly set up another attack through the next two corners, Webber should have seen that with Alonso and Hamilton side by side, they weren't going to be carrying full race speed through the corner and he just shot through the pair of them like a missile; he was never in it to make a move in that corner, he was too far back.

Don't forget; that was the second time he hit Hamilton during the race performing a stupid move that was never going to work. Once is poor judgement, twice is fucking pathetic.

Britprog

Mohonky said:

QFT

Reno7728

subzero9285 said:

As in the Michael Schumacher that spent a substantial portion of the race stuck behind Alguesuari?

I'd love for Schumi to be right up there kicking ass and teaching all the 'young-uns' how its done but i really can't see it happening

Jinjo

Timbuktu said:
If Hamilton really thought it was a bad idea to come in again, he should have told them so. McLaren let Button take the risk of coming in early, so I'd think they would let Lewis stay out too if he really wanted.

No doubt he did an amazing drive, but the ranting shows him losing his cool more than his passion for racing. Has he got a new manager yet? It does seem like he needs one. Through the weekend Button seems a lot more pleasant to be around, and with his girlfriend and his dad at the McLaren garage, he seems to be settling in very nicely.

This. The difference between Button and Hamilton was in a way quite fun to see this week. Hamilton is ridiculously fast and a great driver, but he is quite rash and has trouble keeping his cool at times. While Button may not have the pure speed Hamilton has he is a lot more stable and calm during the race. He uses his head, hence the great call to move to the slick tires and to stay on them when he was in the lead. Where Hamilton was so in the moment of racing that he just wanted to keep going fast(er) and relied too much on the judgement of the team and took the decision to switch tires too fast instead of stepping down a moment and recollecting himself. Save the tires a bit, keep pressing Kubica and then make the pass later at a better time.

Reno7728 said:
As in the Michael Schumacher that spent a substantial portion of the race stuck behind Alguesuari?

I'd love for Schumi to be right up there kicking ass and teaching all the 'young-uns' how its done but i really can't see it happening
He had the speed in clear air, setting the fastest lap at one point with a compromised car, it's pretty obvious that with the current technical regulations, you have to be at least 2 or even 3 seconds faster than the car in front. It's certainly understandable as to why he spent a significant portion of the race stuck behind Jaime. He's reducing the pace deficit to Nico race-by-race and I won't be surprised if he comes out on top in Malaysia.

It's far too early to write him off.

Reno7728

subzero9285 said:
He had the speed in clear air, setting the fastest lap at one point with a compromised car, it's pretty obvious that with the current technical regulations, you have to be at least 2 or even 3 seconds faster than the car in front. It's certainly understandable as to why he spent a significant portion of the race stuck behind Jaime. He's reducing the pace deficit to Nico race-by-race and wouldn't be surprised if he comes out on top in Malaysia.

It's far too early to write him off.

I think we'll see him come through a lot faster (especially with Ross Brawn juggernaut alongside him) and I think he'll be faster than Rosberg by the return to Europe, but I don't think he'll be up with the 'big 3' of Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, but i'd say him, Massa, Button and Webber (possibly Rosberg, if he develops well and gets lots of support) will need some luck to get a significant number of wins.

Obviously this all sounds pretty ridiculous with todays results, but I think the order could get more formulaic as the cars peformance/ reliabilty levels out over the season

Reno7728 said:
I think we'll see him come through a lot faster (especially with Ross Brawn juggernaut alongside him) and I think he'll be faster than Rosberg by the return to Europe, but I don't think he'll be up with the 'big 3' of Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, but i'd say him, Massa, Button and Webber (possibly Rosberg, if he develops well and gets lots of support) will need some luck to get a significant number of wins.

Obviously this all sounds pretty ridiculous with todays results, but I think the order could get more formulaic as the cars peformance/ reliabilty levels out over the season.
This could certainly happen, resulting in a Lewis Hamilton/Fernando Alonso title race with Ferrari and McLaren trading blows. Seb might find himself out of contention if Red Bull's reliability woes continue, unfortunately.

Webber reprimanded.
Mark Webber was given a reprimand by the race stewards after the Australian Grand Prix for his part in a collision with Lewis Hamilton. The Red Bull Racing driver was locked in a thrilling duel with Hamilton and Fernando Alonso for fourth place in the closing stages of the race when he slid into the back of Hamilton. Webber lost his front wing and Hamilton was pushed off into the gravel trap - although the pair recovered to finish ninth and sixth respectively. Hamilton saw the race stewards after the event to explain how he saw the accident ? and it was decided that Webber would be handed a reprimand for causing a crash.

avaya

Reno7728 said:
Just remembered and checked on the Sky+ recording (lie in FTW) and it said Massas it stop was 1.2s :O

He was utterly fucked by that pit stop, they had to hold him back for ages which let Button and Kubica get in front of him. The new lights system they have in place is crazy, it puinishes the teams further up the grid (i.e. further down the pitlane) when the pits are rammed since they have to wait now for the signal to say no cars are behind.

duckroll said:
There's no smoke without a fire. Red Bull has been plagued by unreliability issues for ages. They ruined Vettel's chances of winning last season, and the same thing is happening this season. He might not have developed the parts that broke, but he's responsible for the car design and ultimately what goes into it. If they continue to use unreliable or incompatible parts to build their car, then they'll never win a world championship. You can't win if you can't finish a race, it doesn't matter how fast you are when you're actually racing.

Spark plugs are no parts that are known for reliability issues. In none of the engines. These things fail once every 10 years. It was just bad luck. The brake discs by Brembo are the same that are used by several other teams, including Ferrari.
It's unlikely that a design flaw of the car caused them to overheat in todays weather conditions and after only half the race.

It's speculated that the wheel didn't sit correctly after tyre change. If this is the case it's the fault of the pit crew or the manufacturer of the wheel. Again not Neweys fault or a design flaw of the car.

Last year the reliability issues were mainly Renaults fault. Red Bull tried to get Mercedes engines this year but McLaren used its veto against it. So this can't be blamed on Newey or his car design either.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Steppenwolf said:
Last year the reliability issues were mainly Renaults fault. Red Bull tried to get Mercedes engines this year but McLaren used its veto against it. So this can't be blamed on Newey or his car design either.

Thats incorrect. It was speculated that it was McLaren who blocked Red Bull getting Mercedes engines when it was Mercedes themselves and the now Mercedes GP team who were against it.

avaya

Steppenwolf said:
Spark plugs are no parts that are known for reliability issues. In none of the engines. These things fail once every 10 years. It was just bad luck. The brake discs by Brembo are the same that are used by several other teams, including Ferrari.
It's unlikely that a design flaw of the car caused them to overheat in todays weather conditions and after only half the race.

It's speculated that the wheel didn't sit correctly after tyre change. If this is the case it's the fault of the pit crew or the manufacturer of the wheel. Again not Neweys fault or a design flaw of the car.

Parts do not work in isolation. The Renault engine failed more on the Red Bull than on the Renault. That tells you all that you need to know.

The brakes also failed in Bahrain in Free Practice. No smoke without fire.

It is also no great surprise that since Newey left McLaren they seemed to have found a stunning level of reliability.

moojito

I'm noticing a lack of Kubica kudos in these last few pages! Very nice run from him. I heard one of the bbc commentators say he might be biding his time til Massa decides to move on. That certainly would make things more interesting.

avaya

moojito said:
I'm noticing a lack of Kubica kudos in these last few pages! Very nice run from him. I heard one of the bbc commentators say he might be biding his time til Massa decides to move on. That certainly would make things more interesting.

Fuck that. Massa is better than him.

Reno7728

moojito said:

Yeah Kubica was fantastic today, Renault have really improved this season, Petrov has been the best starter in both races so far but both his efforts have been cut short so far.

navanman

moojito said:

Yep, well done to Kubica. I think its more than a rumour BTW, Kubica to Ferrari next year looks like it might be happening.

navanman said:
Yep, well done to Kubica. I think its more than a rumour BTW, Kubica to Ferrari next year looks like it might be happening.
There was speculation linking Kubica to the vacant Ferrari seat last season after's Schumacher's failed comeback, eventually Badoer and Fisichella ended up having their chances and failing, I Just wonder what Kubica could of done in that car, against Kimi.

navanman

Damage to Buemi car from Koboyashi incident, nearly took the fuel tank out with the hit.

4468737549_e25c86a1b9_b.jpg

avaya said:
Parts do not work in isolation. The Renault engine failed more on the Red Bull than on the Renault. That tells you all that you need to know.

The brakes also failed in Bahrain in Free Practice. No smoke without fire.

It is also no great surprise that since Newey left McLaren they seemed to have found a stunning level of reliability.

So lets say the engine failed more often because Red Bull drove higher revs because they were in the championship fight (obviously). How does that relate to a design flaw in the car by Newey?

The brake failure in Bahrain was very untypical. Brakes don't just break after a couple of laps because of a design flaw in the car. Thats a ridiculous claim, thats not how it works. If indeed something is wrong with the car or the way the driver uses them then they can overheat and explode but this usualy happens near the end of races on break heavy tracks on hot summer days. Not after a couple of laps, not on mild rainy days like today.

avaya

Steppenwolf said:
So lets say the engine failed more often because Red Bull drove higher revs because they were in the championship fight (obviously). How does that relate to a design flaw in the car by Newey?

The brake failure in Bahrain was very untypical. Brakes don't just break after a couple of laps because of a design flaw in the car. Thats a ridiculous claim, thats not how it works. If indeed something is wrong with the car or the way the driver uses them then they can overheat and explode but this usualy happens near the end of races on break heavy tracks on hot summer days. Not after a couple of laps, not on mild rainy days like today.

An engine that is otherwise reliable in another car yet fails consistently in yours indicates it is the car/team that is the issue. Engine failures have everything to do with cooling and assembly. It is 100% the car designer's fault if it happens like this every time assuming the engines supplied are the same. Actual physical assmebly should not be a problem since Renault supply technicians to help.

Running higher-revs is a nonsense excuse since Renault had no reason not to run higher rev's since the team was fighting all season to justfiy their own survival as an outfit.

The brakes failed after a couple of free practice laps in Bahrain, which is not surprising since Bahrain is so heavy on them just like Montreal. They failed after a few sessions in Australia. The brakes are simply not attached to the car and let go. It depends how you've fitted them, how you cool them and how you set the car up. All of those issues come back to car design.

Ferrari have no problem with those brakes. Red Bull have had problems at the last two races.

Failing that, it is still the technical director who has the say on what third party parts would be preferable and since Red Bull are not a car manufacturer there is no pressure to select certain suppliers.

Igo

I lost 4 because I didn't know about the bonus question. I think I would have been able to upgrade to a Renault Chassis with that money. Now they'll be even more expensive after the result today.

scarybore

Goldrusher said:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2gy9ksn.gif

Sweet, went up the most places and now 30th. Bit of luck with Chandhok doing so well but I feel skimping on the drivers is the way to go for now. Got four bets correct as well.

John_B

Igo said:
That will be the definite tie. Alonso and Hamilton are both top tier. They own racing pace and overtaking skills the rest simply does not. Vettel is lightning fast, though in traffic he is decent, but not great.

There will be many great seasons with these 3 drivers.

avaya said:
Also find it amusing that Massa is being dismissed. Surprises in store.
If you look at his driving today, it was far from the level of a top driver. He was passed numerous times without much effort. He made mistakes and struggled to keep pace. The only reason Massa finished third was because Alonso kept behind him and fenced of Hamilton, Webber and Rosberg.

avaya

John_B said:
If you look at his driving today, it was far from the level of a top driver. He was passed numerous times without much effort. He made mistakes and struggled to keep pace. The only reason Massa finished third was because Alonso kept behind him and fenced of Hamilton, Webber and Rosberg.

Massa is always shit in Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom