• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

John_B said:
Webber that cock needs a penalty. Almost took out Hamilton earlier, and now he actually did it. Both times he was much too wreckless.

Nice win by Button, much assisted by a genius pit stop, but rock solid driving in the front.

Hamilton murdered everyone out there. Almost penetrated Massa and Webber in one take.

The tire situation needs to be dealt with. Ferrari with 40 laps on the same "soft" tires. Massa with the most unworthy podium win of all time ever.
I saw both drivers trying hard and a racing incident (The first time). You could just as easily say Hamilton almost took Webber out, that first incident was 50/50. Calm down.

Jinjo said:
This. Brundle put it right. No time to complain when you are right at the back of someone. Suck it up and get on with it. You are definitely not going to overtake the likes of Alonso with that mindset.

Edit: So it was Button's call alone for the tires? Respect.

But he did almost pass Alonso with that mindset until Webber screwed him over. (Not to say Webber did it intentionally; I'm sure he lost downforce while pushing for greater position, but still pretty reckless.)

Frawdder

John_B said:
Webber that cock needs a penalty. Almost took out Hamilton earlier, and now he actually did it. Both times he was much too wreckless.

Nice win by Button, much assisted by a genius pit stop, but rock solid driving in the front.

Hamilton murdered everyone out there. Almost penetrated Massa and Webber in one take.

The tire situation needs to be dealt with. Ferrari with 40 laps on the same "soft" tires. Massa with the most unworthy podium win of all time ever.
Even though Button pitted earlier and basically did the same thing.

???

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Tim the Wiz said:
But he did almost pass Alonso with that mindset until Webber screwed him over. (Not to say Webber did it intentionally; I'm sure he lost downforce while pushing for greater position.)

He had no chance at that pass. It was a stupid idea that Webber tried to capitalize on.

Webbers idea was equally stupid but actually led to a wreck.

Dead Man

Webber just did an interview on local TV where he said he was sorry to Hamilton for the last incident.

I don't get everyone bitching about the tyres. I think it's great that there is more than one viable strategy, it means there is some hope for the dry races later in the year. Flat out, but need to pit twice, or one stop only but slower?
StoOgE said:
He had no chance at that pass. It was a stupid idea that Webber tried to capitalize on.

Pretty much, neither driver covered themselves in glory in the final laps.

Jinjo

Tim the Wiz said:
But he did almost pass Alonso with that mindset until Webber screwed him over.

But it didn't happen now did it? Mindset I tell you. :lol Nah, I'm a Hamilton supporter and it was a wrong call, but no point in whining about it during the race is there?

Hamilton drove amazing, but his race got compromised by a wrong call by his team and Webber screwing him over offcourse.

Aegus

StoOgE said:

Looked like he was trying to force Alonso off the racing line so he could take him on the next corner.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Webber should get 'Kamikaze' award

Anyway, Mclaren made huge jump in performance, so we have RBR, Ferrari and Mclaren on same level now, Mercedes is lagging abit, also great form from Renault.

AcridMeat

Banned
idahoblue said:
Webber just did an interview on local TV where he said he was sorry to Hamilton for the last incident.

I don't get everyone bitching about the tyres. I think it's great that there is more than one viable strategy, it means there is some hope for the dry races later in the year. Flat out, but need to pit twice, or one stop only but slower?

Watching the drivers push their cars to the absolute limit is what I want to see out of motorsport, watching them conserve tires because of strategy is boring to me.

StoOgE said:
Really?

It was a poor decision, but Hammy tried to force the issue wide and he was going to try and duck under both of them. Hamilton had already jumped back down to the inside at that point.. but it wasn't like he was fucking aiming for Hammy.

I mean, why the fuck would he do that? It cost him points.
Just watched it again in slow motion several times on the dvr and Webber was clearly going for some contact. Hamilton was wide, but when he saw he wasn't going to get past he kept his outside line towards the corner. Webber started to turn in and when he saw Hamilton keep his line into the corner, Webber chose to go right through Hamilton like he was trying to take the corner wide. And in slow motion you can see Webber barely bite left into Hamilton right before they both spin. I'm not sure if it was Webber's wing getting into Hamilton's back or a love rap by Webber.

StoOgE

sportzhead said:
Just watched it again in slow motion several times on the dvr and Webber was clearly going for some contact. Hamilton was wide, but when he saw he wasn't going to get past he kept his outside line towards the corner. Webber started to turn in and when he saw Hamilton keep his line into the corner, Webber chose to go right through Hamilton like he was trying to take the corner wide. And on slow motion you can see Webber barely bite left into Hamilton right before they both spin. I'm mot sure if it was Webber's wing getting into Hamilton's back or a love rap by Webber.

:lol

Really? Or maybe he went into the corner too hot and couldn't get out of the way.

Dead Man

AcridMeat said:
Watching the drivers push their cars to the absolute limit is what I want to see out of motorsport, watching them conserve tires because of strategy is boring to me.
Yeah, but tyres are part of the car. If they get it wrong, the tyres won't last, or if they don't push enough they will lose. It is no different to any other component on the car. Meh, I get what you are saying, but I love seeing different strategies play out at the end of the race.

StoOgE said:

Oh yeah, he wasn't going to make the pass on that corner, but I'd still argue that he was about to - over the next few laps - even with that bad mindset that you're talking about. I just think what he said over the radio was largely irrelevant to his racing: Remember, he complained about the pit-stop prior to putting down great lap times to catch up with the Kubica train.

scarybore

Hamilton had to choose his words real carefully in that BBC interview, obviously not happy with McClaren rather than what happened with Webber.

Either way, great race, time to bugger off to bed.

Chris R

DrM said:
Well for the next race they should just bring Super Softs and Normal since they have to have the two different compounds. No point letting them drive 75% of the race on Soft tires.

AcridMeat

Banned
idahoblue said:
Yeah, but tyres are part of the car. If they get it wrong, the tyres won't last, or if they don't push enough they will lose. It is no different to any other component on the car. Meh, I get what you are saying, but I love seeing different strategies play out at the end of the race.

I also understand where you're coming from, I understand that it's part of F1 and that won't change. It's just my own personal preference and why I can find F1 boring a lot of the time.

RdN

AcridMeat said:

I have to second that..

Anyway, I was happy with what I saw today. Off to bed.. see ya.

StoOgE

I actually disagree... I thought the tire strategy made for an exciting end... slower Alonso v. Hamilton was a very exciting last few laps.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't give a shit who hit who. It makes the race a lot more exciting outside of pitstops.

StoOgE said:
I actually disagree... I thought the tire strategy made for an exciting end... slower Alonso v. Hamilton was a very exciting last few laps.
Except the last few laps was Alonso driving a truck and Hamilton having a cry. Wasn't until he vented where he started taking more chances; Alonso locked up on the corner, Hamilton slowed down because Alonso had the right of way, and Webber consequently hit him from behind - whether he saw what was happening in front to his left or not is up for debate, but we're talking about a split second decision at 150km/hr+ here.

Should be interesting to hear what Vettel has to say over the next day or so since it was the same corner that he wiped out on for no apparent reason.

TylerD

That was so good. Congrats to Kubica and Renault for scoring a podium and JB for making the call to get off the intermediates when he did. That race had everything and it all happened at a fantastic venue with super enthusiastic fans that deserve to see that kind of spectacle. My fantasy team could have done so much better but I will get over it.

Time to crash into bed. Goodnight GAF!

Jinjo

Let's just hope that even though Hamilton/Webber didn't pass the Ferrari's (again) in the end they won't be playing it conservative too next time. That's what would make it boring. The different strategies made for an exciting race.

StoOgE said:
:lol

Really? Or maybe he went into the corner too hot and couldn't get out of the way.
Yeah maybe. Though watching it over and over again, I have no idea what Webber was trying to do. He had nothing.

Deadman

Pretty awesome race, have to hand it to Button he did very well.

I hope Schumacher had some damage that prevented him from getting back through the field, otherwise its just a terrible drive from him. Alonso faced with the same circumstances gets himself upto 4th almost entirely through overtakes. Yes the cars have a different overall pace, but not that much of a difference.

Hamilton deserved better than what he got, as much as it pains me to say. Great drive all round.

speedpop said:
I don't give a shit who hit who. It makes the race a lot more exciting outside of pitstops.

Except the last few laps was Alonso driving a truck and Hamilton having a cry. Wasn't until he vented where he started taking more chances; Alonso locked up on the corner, Hamilton slowed down because Alonso had the right of way, and Webber consequently hit him from behind - whether he saw what was happening in front to his left or not is up for debate, but we're talking about a split second decision at 150km/hr+ here.

Should be interesting to hear what Vettel has to say over the next day or so since it was the same corner that he wiped out on for no apparent reason.
But it could have been an awesome last two laps with Hamilton passing Alonso and Webber trying to pass Hamilton.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Deadman said:
Pretty awesome race, have to hand it to Button he did very well.

I hope Schumacher had some damage that prevented him from getting back through the field, otherwise its just a terrible drive from him. Alonso faced with the same circumstances gets himself upto 4th almost entirely through overtakes. Yes the cars have a different overall pace, but not that much of a difference.

Hamilton deserved better than what he got, as much as it pains me to say. Great drive all round.
Schumacher pitted three times and there was probably some additional car damage from that first corner impact with Alonso.

Also - what was Rosberg doing at the end? He was flying, closed the gap to Webber and Hamilton and could easily overtake Alonso, right after Webber - Hamilton crash.

Mclaren had awesome race pace today. Malaysia should be even better for them.

Lince

Banned
Alonso from 22nd to 4th :lol
wonder why he was so conservative behind Massa when Alonso was so hot overtaking left and right before catching his teammate (pitwall calling for holding positions I guess) he even slowed down a couple of times after some Felipe's mistakes...

and Webber, that was awful...

drivers of the day

Kubica
Button (what an awesome call he made)
Alonso
Hamilton

:lol Always fun to check in here for some Massa hate.

I thought he did well, secured his podium with the great start, which was almost screwed up on a bad pit. Anyway, he stayed ahead of Alonso, which is his main goal on every race...

I called Webber's payback here at my house, and it was a lot of fun:D

Great race all around, i hope they change the rules to require sprinklers on all tracks.

Lucius86

Banned
Fantastic race, Button really has rattled Hammy....Kubica gets my driver of the day, followed by Button then Alonso. Massa fought damn hard for the podium - he may not have been fast, but if Alonso couldn't get past him, no one would.

The Hamilton/Webber incident was just a racing incident - unfortunate, but these things happen.

Burai

shitonmychest57
rhfb said:
Well for the next race they should just bring Super Softs and Normal since they have to have the two different compounds. No point letting them drive 75% of the race on Soft tires.

I don't understand that thinking. All of the drivers were nursing their tyres and those fighting for position were suffering some horrendous graining. Even if you look at Button at the end his right rear was shot to pieces.

They could drive 75% of the race on a set of softs but it was in no way ideal and helped make todays race as exciting as it was. It also played nicely into the hands of Button who used track position and smooth driving to great effect.

A great drive by Jenson. Underestimate him to your peril.

well done Button, my second favourite driver after Webber.

Bad driving by Webber, disappointing race for him. 2nd to 9th, not good enough in a car as good as the Red Bull is.

Dead Man

chicko1983 said:
well done Button, my second favourite driver after Webber.

Bad driving by Webber, disappointing race for him. 2nd to 9th, not good enough in a car as good as the Red Bull is.
Yeah, that's my thoughts. Really happy for Button, glad Hamilton is strugling, and disappointed in Webbers performance today. He was a bit compromised by Red Bull waiting so long to pull him and Vettel in, but he made too many mistakes today. Bloody fast though.

Had a blast with the forums comments too, thanks guys. Makes watching the race by myself much more interesting!

/sob story :D

Aegus

I expect Vettel to be on pole and in the lead for every race this year. He'll then have some mechanical failure in every race and not finish.

Kimi 2.0 of F1.

Igo

StoOgE said:

Huh? Lewis was looked to be ducking inside of Alonso and would have passed him. Alonso was extremely slow coming out of the corner to the point that Rosberg closed right up on his backside.

thechemist

I thought Massa did great, especially considering this is his second race after that horrific accident, but it is way too early to come to conclusions about any driver yet.

I'm just gonna pop in here and say that I was glad to see Vettel not finish, I don't know why but I just can't stand the guy. Every time I see him on screen I just want to punch him in the head, even more so than Alonso.

Great race, thank god. It would have been torture to watch another Bahrain after getting up with only 3 hours sleep.

Quite frankly, Hamilton destroyed everyone. I suspect he would have won with relative ease if he hadn't been brought in. He was a large part of why the race was so good.

Webber had a terrible race, he crashed into Hamilton twice with both times being 100% to blame. It was a racing incident but if the stewards applied penalties in the same way as they have done with some incidents in seasons past then Webber would be starting the next race at the back of the grid.

Pterion

Harry_Tequila said:
Great race, thank god. It would have been torture to watch another Bahrain after getting up with only 3 hours sleep.

Quite frankly, Hamilton destroyed everyone. I suspect he would have won with relative ease if he hadn't been brought in. He was a large part of why the race was so good.

Webber had a terrible race, he crashed into Hamilton twice with both times being 100% to blame. It was a racing incident but if the stewards applied penalties in the same way as they have done with some incidents in seasons past then Webber would be starting the next race at the back of the grid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdlbDCq7ZtM

No wonder Hamilton was making comments about Webber retiring lately. Webber epuld have ended in the gravel trap if it weren't for Lewis acting as his brakes. And yea, without Hamilton and Alonso, the race would have been another bore-fest.

bloodforge said:
I'm just gonna pop in here and say that I was glad to see Vettel not finish, I don't know why but I just can't stand the guy. Every time I see him on screen I just want to punch him in the head, even more so than Alonso.
Can't say I like him either. He's also getting pretty annoying with his finger rage.

avaya

Red Bull gives you wings but Adrian Newey gives you unreliability. His cars are fast but they always fall apart. Love the excuses that fast cars are always fragile.

Really?

Rory Byrne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Adrian Newey. F2002/653 & F2004/655 the greatest cars of all time.

Well done to Button today, clearly slow as fuck compared to Lewis but he got the job done with a bit of luck.

The Webber and Lewis incidents were all entirely predictable. Both of them are over-aggressive.

Michael clearly lacking a lot of race craft after so many years out.

Thought Nando was unlucky, probably would have won the race were it not for the start. Felipe always has an appaling Melbourne. It is a miracle he got a podium.

avaya said:
Red Bull gives you wings but Adrian Newey gives you unreliability.

Nonsense. He didn't develop the parts that broke in the two races. Spark plugs and brake discs come from third party manufacturers. This could happen to anyone. It was just a streak of bad luck.

avaya

Steppenwolf said:
Nonsense. He didn't develop the parts that broke in the two races. Spark plugs and brake discs come from third party manufacturers. This could happen to anyone. It was just a streak of bad luck.

You could have a point with the spark plug but apparently that is an excuse...

But brake failure could be attributed to cooling amongst multiple factors. A streak of bad luck does not manifest itself over an entire career across multiple teams. Simple fact of the matter is that his cars are pathetically fragile.

Timbuktu

If Hamilton really thought it was a bad idea to come in again, he should have told them so. McLaren let Button take the risk of coming in early, so I'd think they would let Lewis stay out too if he really wanted.

No doubt he did an amazing drive, but the ranting shows him losing his cool more than his passion for racing. Has he got a new manager yet? It does seem like he needs one. Through the weekend Button seems a lot more pleasant to be around, and with his girlfriend and his dad at the McLaren garage, he seems to be settling in very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom