• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kobayashi's incident.

Koba.gif

Thankfully he walked away from this unscathed.

Aegus

Up into joint 6th in the rankings. Happy with that!

Hopefully we manage to stay ahead of those idiots* at the autosport forums.

*Not all of them are idiots, but it's like the gamefaqs of F1 at times.

DSWii60

subzero9285 said:
dswii60 is ranked fourth in the overall ranking, bravo good sir.

Thank you. I don't really expect to stay there for long though, forgot to place bets and I've been lucky so far.

I hope Brundle is confirmed as Hamilton's new manager, the incredible talent is there for all to see (he could've won the race from 11th on the grid but for a bad decision in bringing him in), but adding an experienced calming influence would make Hamilton even better.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Igo said:
Huh? Lewis was looked to be ducking inside of Alonso and would have passed him. Alonso was extremely slow coming out of the corner to the point that Rosberg closed right up on his backside.

It was a chicane.. the next corner would have seen Alonso with the inside and then the clean line onto the straight and into the next corner. Hamilton had no chance at it.

You know, if he didn't manage to hit a PARKED CAR on pit lane maybe I would have some pitty for the guy. But after today I can only draw the conclusion that he is a giant titty baby who has caused just as many stupid wrecks as anyone else.

Pimpwerx

StoOgE said:
It was a chicane.. the next corner would have seen Alonso with the inside and then the clean line onto the straight and into the next corner. Hamilton had no chance at it.

You know, if he didn't manage to hit a PARKED CAR on pit lane maybe I would have some pitty for the guy. But after today I can only draw the conclusion that he is a giant titty baby who has caused just as many stupid wrecks as anyone else.
Lewis got taken out from behind. I find it hard to place the blame on the guy who's only contact was made through the rear. The guy behind has to yield, especially in light of an overtaking maneuver. Lewis got Mark and Felipe at once because he was patient, not because he tried to just ram it in there. Webber made two bonehead moves today, and both cost him and Lewis a place. Pretty fucking ridiculous. PEACE.

Sweet, moved up two spaces. Little steps, but every bit of progress counts.

I find it funny that almost noone (myself included) picked Kubica as one of their drivers.

S. L.

just caught the first half of the race which i missed due to sleep :p
Hamilton and Alonso certainly were the drivers of the race.

Aegus

SmashBrosAwesome said:

I find it funny that almost noone (myself included) picked Kubica as one of their drivers.

Most of us are probably aiming to get to the higher engine/chassis range since it gives double the chance of getting points.:D

Pimpwerx

I moved up 4 spots to 5th in the league. Unfortunately, I believe we're gonna get gapped by at least two of the Top4 next week. Gapped by 50+ points, and I'm already down 71 on dswii60. My team's RedShift for a reason, because I'm the one that's supposed to be leaving you guys behind. But my money is right on the cusp, and it could have been overcome if I made all my bets this week. So assume everyone ahead of me at least has a shot, depending on how their betting went.

IMO, best option this week was Kov/Chandhok/FORCE-INDIA BITCHES/Total. But I'm curious to know how klawF1 scored this week with Liuzzi and Mob1. I might check the numbers myself, but it's kind of a moot point for the next race.

Looks like the money will build consistently through the season, and we'll be seating top-flight teams (or at least drivers) by the 3/4 mark. I haven't actually done the calculations on that, just spitballing. PEACE.

EDIT: Nice to see we're the top subleague. Let's show 'em our F1 expertise, boys. :D Top league gets 6 F1 hats, and I trust those go to the Top6 finishers in the league, right? My target is #1 anyway. ;)

Pimpwerx

Reading Lewis's Q&A on the F1 site made me wince a bit. I understand he's fired up, but you never throw the team under the bus. I don't remember interviews with young Schuey, but I don't remember him complaining about the team's strategy once when he was at Ferrari. Lewis had a great moment last season when he said, "we win together, and we lose together". I think he let his emotions get the better of him today, though. Wrong strategy or not, it's part of the job, and you get on with it.

I'm sure after he steps back and sees that no one is really blaming him for the result today, and that he's been recognized for driving the wheels off the car. The camera was dedicated to three cars today, and it was great seeing them running together so much today.

Anyway, amazing drive for Hamilton, even if the results don't show it. The spirit of Gilles and Senna and Schumacher lives on in that young man. Alonso showed his mettle today too, but that's never in doubt for a double-WDC winner. Hammy and Fonso for the WDC. Hammy might have the edge, as he seems to have a considerable pace advantage on Button. But if Button keeps outfoxing Lewis like he did today, then Lewis may end up wearing that #2 for a second season...nah. PEACE.

Aegus

Pimpwerx said:
I moved up 4 spots to 5th in the league. Unfortunately, I believe we're gonna get gapped by at least two of the Top4 next week. Gapped by 50+ points, and I'm already down 71 on dswii60. My team's RedShift for a reason, because I'm the one that's supposed to be leaving you guys behind. But my money is right on the cusp, and it could have been overcome if I made all my bets this week. So assume everyone ahead of me at least has a shot, depending on how their betting went.

IMO, best option this week was Kov/Chandhok/FORCE-INDIA BITCHES/Total. But I'm curious to know how klawF1 scored this week with Liuzzi and Mob1. I might check the numbers myself, but it's kind of a moot point for the next race.

Looks like the money will build consistently through the season, and we'll be seating top-flight teams (or at least drivers) by the 3/4 mark. I haven't actually done the calculations on that, just spitballing. PEACE.
)

Looks like the cost of things have been updated.

I'm planning to do some major alterations to my team for the Malaysian grand prix. Time to get off the Force India chassis/engine set at last!

h3ro

Just finished the race. Massa really is crap if he isn't happy with the car. Only reason he finished on the podium was because 'Nando pulled out some San Marino '05 ish on Hamilton.

Alonso probably would have picked off Kubica as well. Great drive by Robert though. Of course, props to Button. Dude is showing Lewis the way in his own team.

Also, Hamilton! Oh man, here it comes. The dramz has begun!

h3ro

torontoml said:
Missed the race, schedule on TV said it would be on again about half an hour ago, but its not coming on. Was it a good race?

A must watch.

Totally forgot mentioning Schumi's crap race! Who'd have thought that he'd take 20 laps to get past Alguesari. :lol

Aegus

h3ro said:
A must watch.

Totally forgot mentioning Schumi's crap race! Who'd have thought that he'd take 20 laps to get past Alguesari. :lol

Lets face it, we all cheered when DiGrassi retook him.:lol

AcridMeat

Banned
SmashBrosAwesome said:

I really wanted to, but I didn't have the money for it (I signed up on f1racemanager after the first race).

With that said, up 4 places and now 56th. I have no chance to be in the top half as of now, but I'm pleased.

AndyD

aka andydumi
h3ro said:
A must watch.

And even after he took him, Jaime kept the pressure on. Good on him.

That said, great race, and I now have about 8 million extra. I almost went with Renault instead of FI this time around. Maybe next time.

S. L.

AndyD said:
And even after he took him, Jaime kept the pressure on. Good on him.

That said, great race, and I now have about 8 million extra. I almost went with Renault instead of FI this time around. Maybe next time.
eh, would have earned you maybe 200k more, not a real deal breaker

Reno7728

down 4 and well into the bottom half smh

Trulli and Senna both not finishing really hurt, plus the poor Red Bull performance on the Fuel

Dibbz

Man the race was amazing today. Rain really mixed things up but I gotta say I was disappointed that Hamilton finished where he did considering the race he put in. Really wanted him to get passed Alonso.

operon

Damn loved that race today, nice race for jenson he had the balls to change the tyres. and hamilton drove amazing, can't stand him but you can argue with talent like that, shame that webber was being an ass. Am a fan of Massa but he should in all honesty have let alonso go, hes the demon in the red car atm.

Moved up 7 places to 18th in the Fantasy F1, going to have top spend a long time working out what to upgrade.

DarkJC

Aegus said:
Up into joint 6th in the rankings. Happy with that!

Hopefully we manage to stay ahead of those idiots* at the autosport forums.

*Not all of them are idiots, but it's like the gamefaqs of F1 at times.

I'm the other 6th :D

Definitely happy with that. Hoping I can at least hold it after the next GP. Need to do some thinking with the extra cash I have now.

Dibbz

Awesome pics as usual subzero.

Does anyone else feel that something needs to be done to the current tires? It looks like they will last an entire race which makes pits essentially useless unless it starts raining like today. Or is the problem drivers taking it easy to make sure they don't wear them down to much so they don't have to pit?

Just saw the race. Big congrats to Button, and good decision too. But man, Hamilton was driving like crazy. If only Alonso hadn't slowed him down, I think he could have gotten 3rd from Massa. And lol @ the end of the race, when Button was asked by his girlfriend to say "yatta" on live tv. :lol :lol

Pimpwerx

Aegus said:
Looks like the cost of things have been updated.

I'm planning to do some major alterations to my team for the Malaysian grand prix. Time to get off the Force India chassis/engine set at last!
I think Force India will go well at Sepang, since they're usually good on trap speed. I'm gonna wait for FP3 to make my decision, but based on my situation, I only have the option of going with someone like Renault or Williams, if I want to step up from FI to anyone still in my price range. But then the difference in points from that move might not be as valuable as adding Trolley and hoping he can at least hang on Kov's tail.

I was thinking about starting a spreadsheet with the points totals and running averages after each round. It could be a handy reference guide for people who want to make more-informed decisions. I'm kinda lazy, so it'll just be for the full race weekend. It's not like we can itemize our team across sessions anyway, so the full weekend is most important. PEACE.

Awesome drive by Button, awesome race by Kubica, Massa, and Alonso. All 4 preserved their tires well.

During the middle part of the race I felt Massa was holding back Alonso but towards the end of the race he seemed to pull away from Alonso a bit but it might be he just didn't wanna take a chance.

:lol @ Red Bull

Newey, Newey, Newey 2005 all over again?

Hamilton whats up with the "Whoever's idea it was to pit. Brilliant"

AndyD

aka andydumi
One of these things is not like the others!!!

ausgp_start_melb_2010-3.jpg

Pimpwerx said:
I think Force India will go well at Sepang, since they're usually good on trap speed. I'm gonna wait for FP3 to make my decision, but based on my situation, I only have the option of going with someone like Renault or Williams, if I want to step up from FI to anyone still in my price range. But then the difference in points from that move might not be as valuable as adding Trolley and hoping he can at least hang on Kov's tail.

I was thinking about starting a spreadsheet with the points totals and running averages after each round. It could be a handy reference guide for people who want to make more-informed decisions. I'm kinda lazy, so it'll just be for the full race weekend. It's not like we can itemize our team across sessions anyway, so the full weekend is most important. PEACE.

I was thinking of the same thing for a spreadsheet. I am making one now. Ill put it on google docs if you want to work together on it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Vettel said:
"I had some sparks coming up from the left wheel. We didn't know what it was and so I wanted to pit," Vettel said.

"Then a couple of corners before, I had huge vibrations building up and as soon as I touched the brakes, I had some sort of failure going in to turn 13 and ended up in the gravel."

"It breaks my balls not to get the win, but there's still a long way to go in this championship,"

:lol :lol Source

DrM

Redmond's Baby
ExtraKr1spy said:
Hamilton whats up with the "Whoever's idea it was to pit. Brilliant"
Quote from press conferenece
Q. (Sudhir Chandran – Chequered Flag) Robert, you mentioned about those laps with Lewis behind you. Was it as difficult to keep him behind you as it appeared to us?

RK: It was quite difficult because we are quite quick on the straight but McLaren, with the device that they are using, they are extremely quick and it was very, very difficult. He was much quicker than me, his tyres were in better shape and he had a more competitive car. I knew that without a mistake it would be difficult for him to overtake me, but I think he once tried before corner eleven and I didn't see him in the mirrors and I thought he was on the inside. I left a space and it just shows that they were really quick. Jenson was side-by-side with me in the middle of the straight going into turn 13. That's how it is. I was surprised when he pitted. It was very good for me, because I could just concentrate on saving the tyres, driving my pace and not concentrating on looking in the mirror and just blocking him, so it was a much better, much easier race for me.

Lewis is/was very angry, because he probably thought that tyres are still ok, but he pitted. Dunno why, it is driver call on pit stop...

Politician calls Hamilton a dickhead
The roads minister of Victoria in Australia has used strong language to criticise Lewis Hamilton after his road car was impounded by Melbourne police. Minister Tim Pallas made the comment on the day that Victoria launched a new road safety campaign.

The Formula 1 racing driver, who was arrested on Friday, is expected to be charged with improper use of a vehicle. Mr Hamilton, who was in the country for the Australian Grand Prix, has apologised for his "over-exuberance".

Mr Pallas criticised the 25-year-old British racing driver on the day that Victoria launched a Don't Be a Dickhead road safety campaign. Asked whether Lewis Hamilton met that description, he said: "OK, I'll say it. He's a dickhead."

But Australian driver Mark Webber has defended his fellow competitor, saying his homeland had become a nanny state, with ridiculous parking and speeding rules. Hamilton was arrested hours after he recorded the quickest time in Friday's Australian Grand Prix practice.

His time of 1:26.801 was 0.25 seconds quicker than McLaren team-mate and current world champion Jenson Button. As Hamilton drove away from the circuit to his team's hotel, police constable Scott Woodford said his rear wheels were skidding as he accelerated.

"Given that Melbourne's on the world stage with a lot of interstate and international visitors, we would expect drivers to observe road rules," he said.

A Victoria police spokesman said the Mercedes was seen to "deliberately lose traction".

McLaren's 2008 Formula 1 world champion admitted: "I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police.

"What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."
Source

DrM said:
Lewis is/was very angry, because he probably thought that tyres are still ok, but he pitted. Dunno why, it is driver call on pit stop...
From everything I've seen, it was not his call on the pit stop--he was ordered in. Looks like he was called into the pits for fresh tires to judge the wear and ultimately give the team an idea on when (if) Button would need to pit for tires... fact seems to be that they relinquished Hamilton's position as a safety precaution for Button, but it seems they made quite the error in judgment since Button's tires held out just fine until the end of the race, and Hamilton's more than likely would have held out as well. But you have to see that they were forced with a choice; pit their leading car and potentially lose 1st, or pit Hamilton. The only other option was to pit neither car and pray the tires will hold, but you can see how they'd be reluctant to do so given the condition of the Ferrari's tires and the times they were posting. I assume they figured the red cars would be pitting for new tires soon as well, but it turns out they were wrong, and their gamble with Hamilton's tires cost him the podium.

Did anyone else scream obscenities when Hamilton yielded and Webber misjudged the situation and smashed him? I was furious at that point, on both their behalfs... but in the end they got away without it causing too much drama.

S. L.

i also think that the idea was that the tires won't hold until the end of the race, so they thought that there was a good opportunity window for Hamilton to do his second stop at that point. It turned out that stop totally wasn't necessary and Hammy got pissed.

Leunam

Funky Functionality said:
Did anyone else scream obscenities when Hamilton yielded and Webber misjudged the situation and smashed him? I was furious at that point, on both their behalfs... but in the end they got away without it causing too much drama.

My hand shot up to the top of my head and I yelled "Fuck!" at 2 in the morning.

AndyD

aka andydumi
S. L. said:
i also think that the idea was that the tires won't hold until the end of the race, so they thought that there was a good opportunity window for Hamilton to do his second stop at that point. It turned out that stop totally wasn't necessary and Hammy got pissed.

Button said he was nervous for a while because he was afraid of getting the call to pit. When he got to about 10 laps to go he knew he had it in the bag.

:lol pretty much my exact reaction

Me too! My wife walked downstairs half asleep to see what was going on. :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
As a died in the wool Ferrari fan I let out a gutteral "YES" when the wreck happened.

Woke the girlfriend up and she asked me what happened and I told her "some punk got what was coming". Don't think the new girlfriend is a huge fan of the F1 schedule being in the middle of the night here.

I might have been drinking at the time.

Pimpwerx

AndyD said:
I was thinking of the same thing for a spreadsheet. I am making one now. Ill put it on google docs if you want to work together on it.
I have the totals for the two races and the average of the two. I was thinking, and if I just did a running average for the full season, all the graphs would normalize by like midseason. But maybe doing the average of the last three GPs might be better, or more practical. That way it's easier to see teams/drivers that are getting better over the course of the season.

I didn't double-check the math, just added them up in my head on the fly. I can put it up on Google Docs if you want. The graphs didn't show up when I opened it online though. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom