• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Well done Button, Hammy, Rosberg, and Alonso. Great work by Renault, RBR need a slapping!

We'll see what the stewards have to say.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Last lap. 2.6 seconds between Button and Hamilton, both sets of tyres are shot, but the gap is literally 1 mistake. So so epic.

Massa takes Schumacher out, RIGHT OUT. Schumacher makes the mistake of going onto the wet stuff on the last turn, nearly bins in.

Watching Button is painful. Hamilton is right up his tail, BUT WINS!!!

What a race, but guys, my heart, stop doing this!

Great race for McLaren and Petrov, good race for Rosberg, Alonso and Kubica. A race to forget for Vettel, Webber, Massa and Schumacher.

So, onto Europe, the man to beat? Jenson Button. 12 months on, a new car, a new team, and still, he leads the WC. Critics silenced?

Chris R

Stewards should give him a hefty fine and a 5/10 spot grid penalty for Spain. Seriously, fuck screwing with the race results after it is over.

megateto

Congrats to Jenson and great drive by Hamilton!!!
I want to see how Massa looks to Fernando when they put their feet on the ground...

spoon!

Nice work from Mclaren today. Button with another winning call, and Ham with some crazy aggression. Goddamn RBR what happened.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
RBR have to pissed off. They had the fastest car for the 4 fly-away races and couldn't capitalise.
IMO, it will cost them the titles this year.

Timbuktu

Well done Button. I like it when he wins, it's always good to see more of Jessica :D

All smiles on the podium, great to see the guys get along so well. I guess it's ok not to have qualifying pace if no one ever wins from pole.

navanman

xofsap.jpg

Stop It

So, while RBR may be qualifying like kings, a combination of bad reliability, luck, and weather means that they are 3rd in the constructors, behind Ferrari and now McLaren heading up the standings.

This season is going to be epic, even the "bad" flyaways have been 3/4 awesome.

I love how Brundle/BBC called "Hamilton was told to back off Button" off a whim and got shown to be completely wrong. Button won on merit today, and Brundle needs to get over his anti Button bias ASAP.

Roll on Barcalona!
Burai said:
ANOTHER WIN FOR THE WORST CHAMPION EVER!!!!!!

UNDERESTIMATE HIM AND DIE.
He's such an awful driver, being so slow and everything, he never makes the right tyre calls either.

Button severely pissed at that SC call, which explains his actions nicely. I'd be pissed too if my 60+ second gap between the top 4 and the rest was destroyed because of a wing clearance.

S. L.

Timbuktu said:
I guess it's ok not to have qualifying pace if no one ever wins from pole.
just wait for dry races...
also i don't get why you guys love Button so much, he is an utterly unexciting and boring driver

race manager: 746 points and 3 bets right, the poor Force India performance did cost me...

navanman

Stop It said:
He's such an awful driver, being so quick and everything, he never makes the right calls either.

:lol :lol Again his racing brain and craft when racing in tricking conditions, wins him the race.

Hamilton may have been the best out-and-out racer today. His aggression is certainly wonderful to watch. But I'm starting to really appreciate how canny Button is, not just as a racer with his wonderful tire calls and management, but in his decision to transfer over to McLaren. Heh, who'd have thought at the start of this season that Button would be in the position to ultimately triumph over Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel in pretty even cars? Not the press, surely, if I remember the coverage accurately enough.

And now to Europe. It's a pity - the majority of the races from here-on-out might be bore-fests unless the indications provided by Bahrain are more atypical (due to the specific abysmal nature of the course) of the Northern Hemisphere and its current seasonal weather's impact on the racing than I would imagine.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Stop It said:
He's such an awful driver, being so quick and everything, he never makes the right calls either.

IF YOU PUT HIM IN THE SAME CAR AS HAMILTON, LEWIS WILL DESTROY HIM!!!!!

JENSON 2 - 0 LEWIS

Stop It

navanman said:
:lol :lol Again his racing brain and craft when racing in tricking conditions, wins him the race.
Why did I type "quick" there initially, I guess my ture thoughts outweighed my attempt at sarcasm.

Anyway, I wont be silly here, the RBR are still the fastest in the dry, and it wont rain everywhere. The McLarens needs to play catch-up to them AND the Ferraris before they can be a complete package. of course, if it rains in Spain, they are clearly in the box seats.

Close up of Buttons car; his tyres were shot, but that car is just so gorgeous.

Mohonky

Dilly said:
:lol

People still think Button is the worst F1 champion ever?

Yeop. He's not bad, the problem is that for outright pace, he's not the fastest but because of the current rules, it works for him. Twice he's made the right tyre choice; Aus going early for the slicks and this time round staying out on the slicks. Both were massive advantages.

Then there's the no fuel rule this year so teams are trying to stay out for as long as possible which favours drivers who aren't necessarily fastest, but the most conservative. If as the driver you are out near the front and not actually racing anyone you wear your tyres less being out of the dirty air and pushing harder on corners to get round opponents.

Both times Button has been out front, clean air essentially just cruising while Hamilton has been in the back of the back trying to tear through the field.

In outright pace Hamilton is the better racer. He's willing to take the risks and make the moves, Button makes far better decisions regarding tyres and has a driving style that just suits the current fuelling rules.

I'm more interested in who's the fastest, not who the most conservative. Bernie wants more over taking and racing but we have all these stupid rules that favour the opposite.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Schumacher damaged his car during the race, Haug said for RTL

Rosberg is doing miracles with this car.

Stop It

Mohonky said:
I'm more interested in who's the fastest, not who the most conservative. Bernie wants more over taking and racing but we have all these stupid rules that favour the opposite.
Sorry, that is counter-intuitive.

If you're the fastest you will not need to overtake because you would have qualified 1st and will scamper off, no overtaking there. The fact is that Button didn't need to do much overtaking (remember he did skin Rosberg like a kitten here) because he was out in front.

Just seen the safety car thing. Button DID NOT BRAKE erratically into the hairpin, he was smooth, the other cars didn't react, their faults!

Igo

Lewis and Vettel on the same terrible strategy and we all saw the outcome.

If McLaren and Lewis can get their calls right he'll be golden.

navanman

The F1 forum is on now on BBC and Brundle & EJ are discussing the Vettel, Hamilton pit-stop incident.
The more you look at it, the less fault it looks for McLaren. RBR and McLaren lolly-pop guy released cars less than 1 second apart and you can't see the other cars until they have pulled fully out of the pit-box.

They think Hamilton & Vettel will get a telling off for the barging along the pit-straight though.

duckroll

I have to say, Hamilton drove his balls off to get that second place victory, and it is truly deserved. As much as I have ragged on Button last season and before the start of this season, he really does seem to be trying hard to prove himself at McLaren. Very hard for me to find fault in his racing so far, but time will tell if he has the consistency and motivation to keep going all the way.

Lince

Banned
what Alonso did to his team mate Massa was awfully nasty, I wouldn't be surprised if that took the pit crew by surprise and he just had Massa's tires fitted... this isn't the Ferrari style at all. And lol at jumping start, not even noobs at the back do that.

Also, Button slowing to a crawl when the SC left needed some investigation, as well as Lewis' overtaking Webber and pushing him wide in the process. Apart from that, the race was pretty entertaining.

Winners

Rosberg (Schumawho?)
Button (cool head + skill FTW)
Hamilton for the BBC insanity when he's overtaking much slower cars
Alonso for both the nasty and hilarious stuff, can't believe he finished 4th drive-through and all
Petrov and Alguersuari, not a bad show from the young guns
Kubica, too big for the Renault but still driving it to its limits

A day to forget

Felipe baby (rain...)
Vettel (where is your finger now)
Webber, pretty disappointing race
Slowmacher, yep, you tried and you failed, come back when you're 10 years younger.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That second Safety car was totally missed call, workers around track could easily pull that big wing piece without SC.

Alonso jumping Massa could spark additional sparks between Ferrari duo.

Jinjo

The SC car line is actually BEFORE the final corner. There was nothing wrong with Hamilton overtaking Webber. Button's slowdown was not as immense as everyone would have you believe. The footage of the wingcamera on Button's car showed that. Everyone else just reacted very late.

Vettel was more dangerous in the pit than Hamilton, actually pushing Hamilton to the right into the pitboxes themselves.

RBR is the biggest loser so far. 4 poles and only one win. Hamilton outperforming Vettel on the exact same tire strategies shows the incredible McLaren racepace. RBR have awesome qualifying pace, but when you just don't perform in the races every single time you are doing it wrong. Button is the definite winner so far. 2 out of 4, great stuff from the "worst champion ever". Great drive by especially Rosberg today. Schumacher, where are you now?

jey_16

Banned
congrats to Button....everything just seems to fall into his lap and he is driving well. RBR would so depressed, fastest car by far yet only one race win.

Alonso.....i cant believe he managed 4th with 5 pitstops! I was cheering at the start and then i couldn't believe it when they showed him jump starting. He was right to overtake Felipe who seems to have lost something? Alonso is just dominating him

great drive by Hamilton.....i wonder how how he is feeling in that team though

Deadman

Buttons brain + hamiltons driving = greatest of all time.

If i was lewis id just tell my engineer to mirror every move jensen makes, he would win every race.

Schumacher makes me sad inside.

moojito

While I'm definitely pro-Button, I think the two major tyre calls he's made could have went either way. In both situations, the rain could have gotten better or worse, noone was sure. Both times he's gotten lucky and reaped the rewards, but if the weather had turned the other way it would be a load of folk laughing at him and his crazy tyre choices.

I definitely think he's doing a great job despite all that, and is sure showing everyone who thought he would crumble after the move to McLaren.

I used to feel bad for Schumacher before he tried to run Hamilton off the road like 4 times. Not cool!

navanman

Deadman said:
Buttons brain + hamiltons driving = greatest of all time.

McLaren now is the exact same team as the super team of the 80s of Prost & Senna.
Button is the Prost and Hamilton is the Senna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom