• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lince

Banned
DrM said:
Reprimand for Lewis - FIA

The Stewards received a report from the Race Director regarding an incident in the pit lane involving car 2, Lewis Hamilton and car 5, Sebastian Vettel. On hearing the explanation from both driver's and both team manager's and viewing video evidence the Steward's decide that Lewis Hamilton drove in a dangerous manner and therefore impose a penalty of a reprimand.

I think that's fair, it wasn't as dangerous as some are trying to make.

spoon!

Ghost said:
:lol that should just read "upon seeing the viewing figures from Hamiltons run through the field, we have decided to impose a grid place penalty"
:lol would certainly get me automatically excited about the race

Dead Man

DrM said:
Reprimand for Lewis - FIA and Sebastian - FIA
If they could get that out so quick after the race, why not in the hour of the race left when the incident occurred? Pathetic.

I also thought there was only one lane in the pits, and any car driving through the working lane would be penalised. Guess not.

moojito

The Stewards received a report from the Race Director regarding an incident in the pit lane involving car 2, Lewis Hamilton and car 5, Sebastian Vettel. On hearing the explanation from both driver's and both team manager's and viewing video evidence the Steward's decide that Lewis Hamilton drove in a dangerous manner and therefore impose a penalty of a reprimand.

/grammarnazirage!

Random forum Joe doing that is annoying but understandable. If that's the quote from the fia themselves that's bad news. No wonder kids are making the same mistakes.

moojito

From the in-car view from the second video, I'd say definitely not. He just seemed to have much quicker reactions than anyone else. The exact moment those lights go off he's moving.

Deadman

I have seen a slo-mo replay where he did start moving before the last light went out. Does look pretty close from those videos though.

Lince said:
Alonso, was it really a jump start? watch the videos, certainly closer to a "reprimand" than a drive through to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJp0dlEcG4&feature=player_embeddeds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMztXO3OFU

A jump start is a jump start. It's a very black and white rule with a clearly defined penalty - a rarity in F1.

As for Hamilton/Vettel, I think the Stewards made the right call considering cars have been running side by side a lot in the pits recently with little word from the stewards. That shit needs sorting out pronto though.

Lince

Banned
Deadman said:
I have seen a slo-mo replay where he did start moving before the last light went out. Does look pretty close from those videos though.

yeah Alonso himself admitted it was a jump start (he said some hundredths of a second at most) the thing is today race control needed both a sensor (that alerted Charlie Withing as you can see him pointing at the car who triggered it) and super slow-motion cameras to notice the jump start... on the other hand good old Button only needed his eyes!! wow!

Mohonky

Stop It said:
Sorry, that is counter-intuitive.

If you're the fastest you will not need to overtake because you would have qualified 1st and will scamper off, no overtaking there. The fact is that Button didn't need to do much overtaking (remember he did skin Rosberg like a kitten here) because he was out in front.

Just seen the safety car thing. Button DID NOT BRAKE erratically into the hairpin, he was smooth, the other cars didn't react, their faults!

Err...yeh exactly as I said. Button was never really backed up in the pack or in dirty air, effecting the way he needed to drive or being caught up in dirty air causing excess wear on his tyres, as you said he was out in front, thats my point. Once you are in front, it's much harder for drivers to take you on; you wear your tyres quicker getting caught up in the battles behind.

Button was only out in front because everyone else but he and Rosberg pitted to put on intermediates, thus putting them out front. They then had to go back to slicks again, another pitstop. 2 pitstops before Rosberg and Button had done even one. As to Button passing Rosberg, thats not exactly saying a lot considering Hamilton was carving up drivers like Alonso, Massa, Vettel and co back in the field.

Both races Button has won has come back to better choices of tyres for Button. Both could have turned out to be poor choices and were big gambles but they fell into place for Button and put him out front on both occasions.

Hence yes, this no refuelling rule is garbage. Teams don't want to make any more pits than they need so teams that are in a position of clean air or drive in a way that isn't as hard and conserve tyres are in a far better position; it doesn't allow drivers who are aggressive or constantly 'racing' opposition to actually put themselves out front.

John_B

McLaren is starting to shine.

Button has exceeded everyones expectations. His choices have been spot on so far. Though let's see how he copes with bad choices in future races.

Hamilton is some weird combination of a man. I really thought he would be a different driver this season (controversies, humbling last season), but he still hasn't changed much. He is less cocky than he used to be, but he still lacks a cool head. Perhaps this part of his character helps to make him a great race driver.

Awesome season so far. Vettel is fast but missed the wins. Hamilton drops to the midfield and then provides the entertainment. This will be a long and epic season.

Lince

Banned
RankoSD said:
Few frames are missing, dude who upload that video fixed it so that it looks like a regular start...

I'm focusing on the wheels spinning and cannot spot any missing frame, but it's all water under the bridge now anyway.

Fernando Alonso: I made a serious mistake at the start as my reflexes let me down and I left early. It's never happened to me before and I am very disappointed with myself. Luckily, despite the penalty, I managed to finish fourth.

Mohonky

John_B said:
McLaren is starting to shine.

Button has exceeded everyones expectations. His choices have been spot on so far. Though let's see how he copes with bad choices in future races.

Hamilton is some weird combination of a man. I really thought he would be a different driver this season (controversies, humbling last season), but he still hasn't changed much. He is less cocky than he used to be, but he still lacks a cool head. Perhaps this part of his character helps to make him a great race driver.

I think that's why I like Hamilton. He has a real racers mentality: he throws himself at every race. He never seems to be in cruise mode. He is always pushing it and when he's behind the 8 ball, like being caught up in traffic down the pack, he was absolutely ballistic overtaking cars left right and center. When he hits that zone it's just incredible to watch.

He is definitely still a young driver (both in experience and in maturity) and that's where he is hurting. Button has made better choices in terms of strategy (though arguably they could have gone very wrong too) but Hamilton is just an out and out racer; his strategy isn't there but he's ability to charge through the field is incredible.

Schumacher was exactly the same. I think Schumi's current standing is a combination of getting the car right and that he's more racing because he doesn't know what else to do with himself, he just can't quit yet at the same time, the arrogance and die hard mentality that would have him drive others off the track isn't as strong as it was back in the day. He seems more content. It's nice to see a different side of Schumi but he definitely doesn't have the hunger he used to.

Speaking of arrogant though, Alonso over taking Massa in the pit lane. Hamilton over taking Vettel is one thing, but to do that to your team mate? Some are suggesting that they had Alonso's gear out and so they had him lined up to come in first but there is no way that was arranged, he pushed Massa off the pit lane entirely. Massa and Alonso aren't the best friends anyway (geez Alonso, 3 times and controversy with team mates in 3 teams now, whats the common denominator you think?) but after this incident, I'm surprised Massa didn't get out of the car at the end of the race and punch him in the face.

dalin80

Banned
Mohonky said:
He is definitely still a young driver (both in experience and in maturity) and that's where he is hurting. Button has made better choices in terms of strategy (though arguably they could have gone very wrong too) but Hamilton is just an out and out racer; his strategy isn't there but he's ability to charge through the field is incredible.

Worth noting that the decision in oz which was hailed as fantastic by button was actually brought on becuase he burnt his inters out and was about to be 'mugged'. So he didnt have any choice but to come in for tyres and at the time the track was drying to quickly for new inters.

Arhal_Katarn

I know many people (myself included) thought that Button had commited career suicide by joining Mclaren. I am really suprised that he has not only beaten LH in races but also in qualifying. Although he has been very lucky on his decisions with tyres and weather, fair play to him as most people thought he was going to get Mullered by Hamilton.
I still expect Vettal to win the title the kids the real deal no doubt about, it if the RB had been more reliable he would have over 80 points by now.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
F1 race manager website updated.

I scored 653 points, got a bit screwed by the poor form of Force India today.

S. L.

since the website is crawling slow again
f1chinatv61.png

did an awesome jump to place 7 :D
also Negoaf remains the top subleage

AndyD

aka andydumi
navanman said:
F1 race manager website updated.

I scored 653 points, got a bit screwed by the poor form of Force India today.

I only made 561 but gained 1 spot. And I had Button/Rosberg/Hamilton, I was so close, but only got 1 of those.

Force India killed me too. I think I am on the brink of moving on in terms of money.

Good race overall. So was the second safety car due to the debris in the pit lane entrance? I cant figure out any other reason for it.

As to the pitlane incident, Hamilton really had nowhere to go. As he said, the team released him so he did his best.

I am not fond of the passing into the pit lane that has started. Unneccessary danger considering a cash there calls out the safety car.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
McLaren did a fantastic job - we saw this car in Bahrain and all i thought : "Another silver donkey". But their upgrade and development pace is just insane. And in my opinion, this car is the best car by far for wet races.

Reno7728

Despite the best efforts of the volcano delaying my return home and not allowing me to place bets, answer the bonus question or change my team from last week, I still managed to gain 4 places, so a good fantasy week :D

AcridMeat

Banned
Just got home from watching the race with a friend, very entertaining. :D

Hamilton came so very close, shame really. Well done to Button, but even so as soon as his tires were in the same condition as the other drivers, he was desperately scraping to hold on.

I was debating switching to Renault this weekend, and now I'm really kicking myself that I hadn't.

Well done to KUBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!! Can't wait to see you in a Ferrari mate.

Lince

Banned
AndyD said:
As to the pitlane incident, Hamilton really had nowhere to go. As he said, the team released him so he did his best.

nowhere to go? he could have just put his Macca behind the RBR instead of running all the way through the mechanics' work area, that was an unnecessary risk... he wasn't going to overtake anyone with the pit lane speed limiter anyway :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
I had Hamilton Vettel Rosberg. I thought I had bet Alonso so I was cheering him on to overtake Rosberg for 3rd at the end. :lol

Ugh, Button screwed everything over!

What are the thoughts on punishment for Hamilton? 5 spot penalty next race? Watching his reaction when they questioned him about it after the race was hilarious.

Pterion

Good race. Nice to see Mclaren 1-2. Congrats to Button for another win from another gamble. Hamilton entertaining as always. LH will win the WDC this year, mark my words.

TylerD

Damn good race. Watched it on delay at a coworker's house. At times it was really hard to follow what was going on or who had the advantage due to all the pit stops.

It never ceases to amaze me how the drivers can race like they do in those conditions. The inters throw so much water in the air. Rain is a sure bet for an interesting race.

Button is doing a fantastic job at McLaren so far and congrats to Nico for being 2nd in the standings. It is a real shame that Schumi doesn't seem capable of competing at the top level with the car setup how it is. I hope the changes to the Merc make it drive more to his liking.

Luizzi killed my Force India chasis and engine when he crashed, so I dropped one spot to 12th in the league. Got all 3 bet questions right and 1 place question. I bet on VET for pole and VET, HAM, HAM for P1-P3. :lol Makes it a bit easier to get one of the places right, no?

Leunam

Really enjoyed the race. Shame Hamilton can't manage his tires better but I guess that may have been slightly unavoidable as he was making his way past so many cars. Congrats to Button on his second win.

Oh yeah, and my condolences to Kobayashi. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Pimpwerx

Kleegamefan said:
He's right for a few reasons. Right now, Lewis and Vettel are the whole fucking show. Vettel is the wizard in qualies, and Lewis is the wizard in the race. Without these two youngsters, the last few races might have been a snooze. Lewis can be guaranteed to give anyone a go. If a pass can be made, he'll make it. If they try to castrate him again like they did the previous two seasons, they'll suck what little enjoyment's left out of the sport. PEACE.

Dibbz

DieselRainbow said:
Cheers. I'll post after every race if nobody objects. I search for photos all the time anyway as one day I hope to be a motorsport photographer myself :D
No complaints here. One of the best things about this thread are the pics that come with each race weekend. :D

Man just caught up with the race on iPlayer and holy crap what a race it was. People pitting like crazy, rain and Hamilton eating everyone alive. Really wanted him to win this one but god damn button and his tyre choices. Credit to Rosberg as he had a great race and made a smart decision about the tyres at the start of the race like Button. I'm really starting to like that guy, seems so calm and does all of his talking on the track.

I hope Schumacher steps up his game. We got to see a few battles with Hamilton, Vettel and basically everyone else but they just pushed him to the side. I can only imagine what it'd be like to see him actually challenging drivers that are not in Virgin or Toro Rosso cars this season.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Pimpwerx said:
He's right for a few reasons. Right now, Lewis and Vettel are the whole fucking show. Vettel is the wizard in qualies, and Lewis is the wizard in the race. Without these two youngsters, the last few races might have been a snooze. Lewis can be guaranteed to give anyone a go. If a pass can be made, he'll make it. If they try to castrate him again like they did the previous two seasons, they'll suck what little enjoyment's left out of the sport. PEACE.

Duane, I agree with you 1000%

F1 without Hammy=SNOOZEFEST:D

what total horseshit from you Hammy-lovers.
The guy has gotten 2 warnings in the last 2 races and still you suck his cock.

when he causes an avoidable accident this year and someone is seriously hurt, im sure you will still be spining for the guy.

he is interesting to watch, but he needs to tighten it up, beaten soundly on paper this year by Button 'the worst champion since Hill'.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The weaving incident was fair, the warning was a joke.

I can understand the complaints towards the whole pitlane issue, but at least it brings a little excitement and disbelief into this sport. That entire race was awesome and anyone who denies that is a fool.

Jinjo

Templar Wizard said:
what total horseshit from you Hammy-lovers.
The guy has gotten 2 warnings in the last 2 races and still you suck his cock.

when he causes an avoidable accident this year and someone is seriously hurt, im sure you will still be spining for the guy.

he is interesting to watch, but he needs to tighten it up, beaten soundly on paper this year by Button 'the worst champion since Hill'.

The guy just gets way too much grief. He weaves to break a tow and everyone is shouting he should get a drivethrough penalty, while we have fucking Webber ramming into everyone and everything in Australia and he doesn't get to hear a single word. The racing out of the pitlane was questionable, but everyone is only biting on Hamilton, because he's the supposed rash one. Nice wordchoice by Vettel too ("I don't know why he was so keen to touch me."), while you can clearly see him creeping up to the right, pushing Hamilton out of the lane. It was fair, but Hamilton should have backed of a bit earlier when Vettel started pushing though. Then again, that's racing. I'm glad we have the drivers among the stewards now as we get to see way less stupid and useless penalties than for example 2008/2009.

Also, Button outperforming everyone is more a testament to the ridiculousness of the statement of him being the worst champion ever than anything else. If you ask me, the only ones beaten soundly in the first part of the season is RBR and nobody else as they should have had 4 racewins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom