• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Never played Zelda II before.

It's very, very weird...

AlphaTwo00 said:
Huh. Not available in Canada yet...

It is, go to the eShop then go to Settings then go to Your Downloads. I downloaded them this morning and I live in Toronto.

Javier

Lupin the Wolf said:
EDIT: Javier: What "Free Key" glitch is this, exactly? A halfhearted Google search brought me nothing.
When you first enter Level-1, the door that goes up is locked. If you immediately exit the dungeon and go back inside, the door is now open. Free key!

I'm happy to see the games up a day early, I even tethered my 3DS to my iPhone for the first time (I was at work) to get them all right away.

I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed you can't set a save state like with the GB games. Also, I was hoping they'd implement some sort of folder system by now.

If Nintendo somehow lets us transfer our VC games from the Wii to 3DS all will be forgiven. I've got so many classic titles downloaded that I would never double-dip to get them on the 3DS, even though I'm be much more likely to play them on my handheld.

You should have held off on the Japanese 3DS until the Flare Red came out. That way you could have one of each color instead you got two blues lol.

Anywayz I love that I might Finally beat Zelda 1,2, and Metoid. Yoshi is not Yoshi's Cookie but its still alot of fun. Ice Climber is fucking awsome though. I downloaded all of the titles released today on the Wii VC (except Golf) but never really played them much...now that they are on my main system I'll play em like crazy. Of all of the ones I rarely played on the Wii VC I think I enjoy Ice Climbers the best. Followed by Yoshi and Balloon Fight.

Wtf at them not having manuals exceot for controls. I have no clue about what to do in Wrecking Crew. I smashed all of the um...buildings? And set off the bomb amd blew up the latter but thats all. I think I have to destroy that...robot? But I have no clue how to do that. I need to look up videos of just the first level to atleast understand the gameplay better. To youtube!

Also Golf is just hard...I really want to enjoy it but its just simply really unpredictable when it comes to making shots. Everytime I go waaay to far...I'll keep working with it though.

Also stop posting spoilers about Zelda! You totally ruined how o get to the second level you bastard! Whoever you are (Im not looking to find out your username. I am already trying to forget)
Nah Im not really mad but still...

Lemmy Caution said:
I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed you can't set a save state like with the GB games.
WiiRevolution1 said:
Wtf at them not having manuals exceot for controls.
Remember, these are the quicky versions they rushed out the door to stave off the pitchfork mob. We'll get the versions with these eventually.

Roto13

Maybe I'll finally finish Super Mario Bros. 1. :p It's the first game I ever played, 23 years ago, and now I'm kind of worried I'll die or something if I finally make it all the way through.

Wrecking Crew is pretty cool. I hadn't played it before today, but I like it. It's pretty unique. I don't know what to do with those doors, though. :p

Teknoman

Electivirus said:
I see the notes function becoming VERY useful to me in the near future.

Same here. Also I get to play Zelda 1 and 2 for the first time ever...for free AND portable (started with Link to the Past). Another Metroid 1 run is never a bad thing either.

elohel

Teknoman said:
Same here. Also I get to play Zelda 1 and 2 for the first time ever...for free AND portable (started with Link to the Past). Another Metroid 1 run is never a bad thing either.

how long is the game?

Teknoman

So you did get a map with the first Zelda? Wow cant imagine how many people called in to the tips line if they got a used copy.

I haven't played Ice Climber in decades (except micro segments in Wario Ware), talk about nostalgia.

Feels really strange playing NES games on such a small screen. It almost feels like the image is blurry and there's detail being lost, except of course it's the opposite (it's much sharper than how I played them on a CRT with RF or composite cables). Mind and memory playing tricks on me.

Teknoman said:
So you did get a map with the first Zelda? Wow cant imagine how many people called in to the tips line if they got a used copy.
I'm not sure that you did, but then again, I never owned Zelda back in the day and beat it only this year with the GBA version. I seem to recall people saying that there was a map included in a certain issue of Nintendo Power that got a lot of circulation.

Johnas

Teknoman said:

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm not sure that you did, but then again, I never owned Zelda back in the day and beat it only this year with the GBA version. I seem to recall people saying that there was a map included in a certain issue of Nintendo Power that got a lot of circulation.

The first Zelda came with a partial map, with blank space if you wanted to draw in some of the rest. Don't quite remember the NP thing.

I believe it was both.

MarkusRJR

The control layout is really disgusting when it comes to platformers. There is absolutely no comfortable way to run and jump. It's kind of depressing how Nintendo can miss something this annoying. I first noticed it when I bought Super Mario Land, and it still is annoying as ever. Make some other control layouts, damn it.

fernoca

Ah yeah, the Nintnedo Power map. So awesome. Was with the one that had Super Mario Bros. 2 made in clay in the cover..right?

Yaceka said:
The control layout is really disgusting when it comes to platformers. There is absolutely no comfortable way to run and jump. It's kind of depressing how Nintendo can miss something this annoying. I first noticed it when I bought Super Mario Land, and it still is annoying as ever. Make some other control layouts, damn it.
The layout might be a problem to some, not used to it..plus the combination of the 4 buttons been there too.

But the games were made around using B/A layout; no problems here. But options would be nice.

BooJoh

Naked Snake said:
I haven't played Ice Climber in decades (except micro segments in Wario Ware), talk about nostalgia.

Feels really strange playing NES games on such a small screen. It almost feels like the image is blurry and there's detail being lost, except of course it's the opposite (it's much sharper than how I played them on a CRT with RF or composite cables). Mind and memory playing tricks on me.
It actually is blurred slightly, horizontally.

I've never finished Zelda 1, but I did get the NES Game Atlas from Nintendo Power, which had maps for Zelda 1 and 2, along with a bunch of other games.

MarkusRJR

fernoca said:
Ah yeah, the Nintnedo Power map. So awesome. Was with the one that had Super Mario Bros. 2 made in clay in the cover..right?

The layout might be a problem to some, not used to it..plus the combination of the 4 buttons been there too.

But the games were made around using B/A layout; no problems here. But options would be nice.
See, on the NES the buttons were level. On the 3DS the buttons are at such an angle where it's just uncomfortable. Oh, and every good platformer on the SNES (which had a similar button layout) used Y for running and B for jumping. A and B might have been suitable for the NES, but certainly not for the SNES/3DS.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
These games are great and I just view them as the "bonus"--the GBA games are what I'm really looking forward to. Cannot wait to play Yoshi's Island again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh my goodness what will you ever do for those 3 seconds?

Seriously, that sounds like a weird complaint.
It's not really about time being wasted, rather, the lack of polish it brings to the experience. I enjoy using a device in which the interface feels slick and polished. That kind of problem definitely detracts from that. Again, ultimately a very minor thing, but something that does leave a negative impression.

fernoca

Yaceka said:
See, on the NES the buttons were level. On the 3DS the buttons are at such an angle where it's just uncomfortable. Oh, and every good platformer on the SNES (which had a similar button layout) used Y for running and B for jumping. A and B might have been suitable for the NES, but certainly not for the SNES/3DS.
I know. Thats why I said that it seems to be related to the 4 buttons been there. Guess I'm just used to it. :p

NubInaTub said:
Can anyone get their coins yet for the games?
Survey coins sometimes take up to 48 hours to be there.

5 games I've played to death already, 4 I don't have much interest to, and NES Open. So I guess that's ok since it was free, and I get some Club Nintendo coins to boot if I'm not mistaken. Looking with much more interest at the GBA games (and folders for the home menu maybe?).

JoshuaJSlone said:
Remember, these are the quicky versions they rushed out the door to stave off the pitchfork mob. We'll get the versions with these eventually.
We better. Though Zelda II is the only game I would need save states to play through these days but I've beaten enough already. Maybe.

GeekyDad

Plinko said:
These games are great and I just view them as the "bonus"--the GBA games are what I'm really looking forward to. Cannot wait to play Yoshi's Island again.

Yeah, I'm sure to get much more mileage out of the GBA games. Have yet to play MvDK from GBA, and I'm really looking forward to that game. Still have Yoshi's Island on cart, but having all those games on one menu will be a very novel convenience -- no doubt.

zigg

Is there an update coming that makes the d-pad tolerable?

I realized yesterday I never really had an opportunity to really use the thing before, but now I hate its everlovin' guts. Bleah.

Javier

Mario Vs. DK, Metroid Fusion and Yoshi's Island: SMA3 have been ESRB-rated as well. Oddly, they're listed as GBA and 3DS titles on the same entry, unlike the other two which have separate entries for GBA and 3DS.

Javier said:
Mario Vs. DK, Metroid Fusion and Yoshi's Island: SMA3 have been ESRB-rated as well. Oddly, they're listed as GBA and 3DS titles on the same entry, unlike the other two which have separate entries for GBA and 3DS.

This would sometimes happen with Wii VC games as well. Sometimes they'd get their own separate Wii listing, while sometimes they would just update the original SNES/N64 listing to include Wii.

Means nothing and seems to be completely arbitrary. We should be seeing those other 5 GBA games getting listed soon!

Roto13

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but Nintendo is telling people to link their eShop accounts to their Club Nintendo accounts by October 27th if they want to get coins for the Ambassador games. So that might mean they're coming then.

Esiquio

My very kind little brother has decided to buy me a 3DS through Amazon. Imaging my shock when I saw that AMAZON DOESN'T CARRY IT!!! I know this is "old" news to some, but it really surprised/annoyed the hell out of me. Anyways, since I have to buy it on Amazon, I was thinking about getting an "Ambassador edition" 3DS. Will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002I096AA/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1320804746&sr=1-2&condition=all

Scroll down to the "Collectible" category near the bottom. Some merchants offer this.

I see from here:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/3dsambassador.jsp?menu=about&submenu=ctr-gi-amb-program-what-is

that...

What Is the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program?
Answer:

The Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program is Nintendo's way of showing appreciation for consumers who purchased a Nintendo 3DS hand-held system during its first few months of availability.

Nintendo 3DS owners who performed the latest system update or who visited the Nintendo eShop using a wireless broadband Internet connection prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11, 2011, were automatically registered for the program and will receive 20 free downloadable games before the end of the year.

...so basically as long as the 3DS was connected to the internet before that point, the games are downloaded, but not necessarily linked to some Nintendo eShop/Club Nintendo account, and that the games are mine to keep. If that is so, which would be great, how do I go about connecting this privilege to my Nintendo account so I can keep the games if I get a new system or they are lost in a botched firmware update or something?

Please don't fail me, GAF!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: if you buy a new system you'll be able to transfer the NES games, but only once they've been updated (the update is unavailable and has no ETA), and it's a one-way transfer. The GBA stuff is non-transferable.

Roto13

@MUWANdo said:

Long answer: if you buy a new system you'll be able to transfer the NES games, but only once they've been updated (the update is unavailable and has no ETA), and it's a one-way transfer. The GBA stuff is non-transferable.
The update is coming this month and obviously it's not one-way between two 3DSes.

Esiquio

@MUWANdo said:

Thanks for the reply. But as for buying an Ambassador system...the system should have the games on it already, if such a person that had a 3DS downloaded them, correct? They are not linked to any "account", right?

@MUWANdo said:

Where did you read that the GBA games are non-transferrable? (This is a bummer as I was planning on replacing my beaten up Aqua Blue 3DS with a Flame Red unit)

Javier

The GBA games CAN be transferred.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/ambassador_programme_software_44436.html

Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

Manuals will be available.
Wireless functions and peripheral devices are not supported.
When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported.
If you’re playing a game that includes a save function, you can select Save, and your data will be saved when you’ve finished playing the Game Boy Advance game.
During gameplay, the Nintendo 3DS system will not enter Sleep Mode even if you close it.
SpotPass and StreetPass will not function during gameplay.
You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.

Top Bottom