• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Truespeed

AZ Greg said:
Quick general question:

I have an 8800GT that has a DVI port and a monitor that does as well (Though I have them connected via a VGA cable at the moment). What I want to do is connect my PC to my TV so I can play games/emulators on it. My TV has an HDMI port so I know I'll need an DVI -> HDMI converter, but what I'm wondering is this: Should I plug the DVI cable into my stack and then connect the cable to the DVI -> HDMI converter and finally into the TV or should I leave my stack plugged into my computer monitor via VGA and then connect the DVI cable into my monitor and then plug that into the converter and finally into my TV? Will both of these methods work? Which one is better if so?

Thanks!

Use the VGA port. I have my old PC connected to a Samsung LCD TV and the image is super crisp. Save the HDMI ports for devices that actually need them.

TheHeretic said:
You'll need to buy a custom CPU heat sink and fan before you begin overclocking. Its easy to do and seeing as you have the same CPU as me I can give you some specs right now. All you'll need to change (assuming you have DDR2 800) is:

Multiplier: 8
Front Side Bus: 400
Vcore: 1.4v
North Bridge: 1.4v

Boom, you are done. With these settings you'll be running at 3.2ghz. Every CPU is different but thats an easy starting point.

yeah, 8 gigs of G-skill DDR2 800. and i have water cooling. um...... where do i change this :D

evil solrac v3.0 said:
yeah, 8 gigs of G-skill DDR2 800. and i have water cooling. um...... where do i change this :D

If you mean where do you change your vcore/FSB then you need to go into your bios. When your computer starts it should say something about hitting delete or f2 or whatever the keystroke is to enter the bios. From there look for something about changing settings, or tweaking or something. Every company's bios looks different so can't say exactly what the menus will be labeled.

evil solrac v3.0 said:

Use Realtemp or Coretemp to monitor your temperatures. Below 50C is optimal, below 60C is safe and above 60C is dangerous. The absolute threshold for you is 71 degrees.

Change these settings through the bios. Upping the CPU's voltage will increase stability allowing for better speeds, but also increases the temperature of the CPU. Voltage thats too high can damage your CPU regardless of the temperatures.

For a Q6600, the CPU voltage thresholds are:

Below 1.4v is completely safe
Between 1.4-1.45v is moderate but safe
1.5v is the boundary to which your CPU may experience a deceased lifespan

Don't push your North Bridge voltage above 1.4, you can leave it on automatic which will be fine if you like.

Remember, total CPU speed = Multiplier x FSB. As you have DDR2 800, your RAM has a speed of 400 (for reasons that are convoluted, just trust me). So try to set it so that your FSB is as close to 400 as possible. For example, for a 3.2ghz overlock: 8x400 is better than 9x355, though the speeds are identical. Setting your CPU's FSB higher than your RAM will mean you have to overclock your RAM, which you don't need to do. RAM can be faster than your CPU, your CPU cannot be faster than your RAM. Don't do 7x450 unless you are willing to overclock your RAM.

Expect anywhere from 3ghz to 3.6ghz depending on the quality of your chip (which is random). Tinker with speeds and voltages until your CPU is completely stable at the lowest possible voltage.

To test stability, download OCCT and run a 1 hour test. If you pass and your temperatures don't exceed 60 by too much, your CPU is stable and healthy. OCCT will push your CPU harder than anything else you would otherwise run will, if you can pass it without crashing you are fine. If your computer crashes (and if you are doing it right, it will, alot!) don't worry. Crashing because you set it too high won't hurt your CPU, only pumping insane voltages into it or letting it overheat will.

Niks

Ok, Im looking to build my first PC around october, so might as well get started since Im a total noob...

So Ill start by asking a question about the case.
Whats the best mid size case available on the market? Im looking for something that looks good/stylish, not too big, and that can handle latest tech if needed (i7/DDR3/GPU)
I was looking at the ANTEC SOLO since the P182 is too big... Any opinions?

Niks said:
Ok, Im looking to build my first PC around october, so might as well get started since Im a total noob...

So Ill start by asking a question about the case.
Whats the best mid size case available on the market? Im looking for something that looks good/stylish, not too big, and that can handle latest tech if needed (i7/DDR3/GPU)
I was looking at the ANTEC SOLO since the P182 is too big... Any opinions?

Depends what you mean by "too big". The Antec 900 remains extremely popular. Cooler master also has some very well received cases. Poke around on newegg, the two technical concerns for cases are airflow and noise, so make sure you read reviews to evaluate problems.

This is one of the best cases on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

At its price point, its definitive.

strange_booj said:
TheHeretic, What would I need to change for just a slight bump in overclocking my Q6600, to a 2.8hz or 3.0hz?

The chip runs pretty hot all on its own. There have been cases of people lowering the voltage and increasing the clock speed successfully, but its uncommon. You can try overclocking with lower voltages to keep temperatures down, but investing in a new HSF is a good idea. I'd say its worth it to do so, but only if you don't want to just experiment.

If you want settings to start on try:

Vcore: 1.35
Multiplier: 9
FSB: 311

Temperature thresholds are listed in my previous post.

Gerald Preston said:
Speaking of cases, does anyone have any experience with thermaltake cases & their rebates? I've been looking at this, their Antec 900 rip:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133074

My friend bought a raidmax in Jan and still hasn't gotten a rebate back.

I dislike their cases, in my experience they aren't very good. The CM690 is better, in all probability so is the original Antec.

Malvolio said:
How long have you been using these? The reason I ask is because I had a pair and really liked them, but they just stopped working after about a year. After a while everything that I would send to them would play at like 1/10 volume and adjusting the volume before them only made them sound worse. Finally they just stopped playing anything back at all. I miss those little guys. =(
i've been through 3 sets of them starting in spring '05, actually. but for speakers as nice as those i didn't mind having them constantly replaced [always under warranty, i was]

my first, the power brick overheated
the second, smoke started pouring out the back
the third overheated again but then miraculously came back to life 6 months later!

looks like the only place to get 'em now is ebay and third party vendors. and only the silver models too, gross ;p

evil solrac v3.0 said:
would my stock Q6600 bottleneck my 2 GTX 260s? I dont really know how to read 3dmark scores but when i tested it once with the 2 9600 gts, the cpu score was higher and now its switched

Yes, multi GPU setups demand as much CPU power as you can throw at them.

www.overclock.net is a great forum to get upto speed at. Clocking Core 2s is a piece of cake anyway, you should manage 3ghz+ quite easily but be sure to get your cooling in orfer first, the Q6600 is quite a power hungry beast once OCed.

Jirotrom said:
Hey guys... I've been using the onboard sound since I got this but I do own a
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card. Now should I be using this sound card, or is it all right to sell it and keep using the onboard sound?

This is my soundcard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102189

This is my MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043

Depends on your speakers. Your onboard sound is standard Realtek, which is decent enough, but your sound card is better despite being creative. If your speakers suck you won't notice the difference, but with a good set there should be a discernible difference. I can't imagine you getting much for the sound card, might as well use it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This thread is probably the best advice thread on GAF. Thanks to Heretic, brain_stew, and all the regulars for always being on the ball with suggestions.

What meese do you guys use? I have a G5, but I'm wondering if I should move on. Are there any good wireless ones yet?

AstroLad said:
This thread is probably the best advice thread on GAF. Thanks to Heretic, brain_stew, and all the regulars for always being on the ball with suggestions.

What meese do you guys use? I have a G5, but I'm wondering if I should move on. Are there any good wireless ones yet?

No probs! PC gamers have to stick together, for the master race!

I use a Razer Deathadder, I love it. I don't care for wireless mice to be honest, theres the charging issue and its going to sound elitist but I don't trust my epic pin point precision to something that could get interference at a critical moment!

zbarron

TheHeretic said:
No probs! PC gamers have to stick together, for the master race!

I use a Razer Deathadder, I love it. I don't care for wireless mice to be honest, theres the charging issue and its going to sound elitist but I don't trust my epic pin point precision to something that could get interference at a critical moment!
Not to mention wireless mouses introduce more lag.

I use the Microsoft Habu. I really like it. It's not the best mouse but I got it for a little over $20 so I'd say it was worth it. I seem to remember the Logitech MX518 being the standard for top quality gaming mice but there have probably been improvements since then. It's still only an optical mouse.

Jirotrom

TheHeretic said:
Depends on your speakers. Your onboard sound is standard Realtek, which is decent enough, but your sound card is better despite being creative. If your speakers suck you won't notice the difference, but with a good set there should be a discernible difference. I can't imagine you getting much for the sound card, might as well use it.
I have the logitech 5.1s from way back, i think thy are the 500 watt ones, sounds great to me but im sure they are much better now.

Jirotrom

I have another problem to add, I have an MX518 and a G7 (at least i think thats what its called) both mice keep cutting out. The lasers just fail constantly... its rather annoying, any of you know a fix?

TheExodu5

Banned
Although I hate the sound of my Creative Audigy 2 ZS, I noticed something interesting. It's significantly faster than my onboard Asus P5B-E sound. I plugged them both in, and the onboard sound had a significant delay.

I still can't use the Creative, since it will randomly distort my sound now and then (on Windows 7 and Vista). I've found no way to fix this. Creative has awful driver support.

Jirotrom said:
I have another problem to add, I have an MX518 and a G7 (at least i think thats what its called) both mice keep cutting out. The lasers just fail constantly... its rather annoying, any of you know a fix?

I would have thought your MX518 cable was broken/dying, but if your G7 cuts out as well, the PC would have to be the issue, I would think. Try another USB port? Try updating drivers?

zbarron said:
Not to mention wireless mouses introduce more lag.

I use the Microsoft Habu. I really like it. It's not the best mouse but I got it for a little over $20 so I'd say it was worth it. I seem to remember the Logitech MX518 being the standard for top quality gaming mice but there have probably been improvements since then. It's still only an optical mouse.

Yeah the Habu is basically the Deathadder, rebranded! Its awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:

You want a sexy wireless keyboard & mouse, check this out.

Has more functionality than the G5 too. Review is a good read, tons of pictures.

Just look at the second half of the second page about the mouse. Amazing.

Jirotrom

TheExodu5 said:
Although I hate the sound of my Creative Audigy 2 ZS, I noticed something interesting. It's significantly faster than my onboard Asus P5B-E sound. I plugged them both in, and the onboard sound had a significant delay.

I still can't use the Creative, since it will randomly distort my sound now and then (on Windows 7 and Vista). I've found no way to fix this. Creative has awful driver support.

I would have thought your MX518 cable was broken/dying, but if your G7 cuts out as well, the PC would have to be the issue, I would think. Try another USB port? Try updating drivers?
I did all that... its looking like im going to need to format... maybe there are new drivers for my board though... i'll try that first... If that doesnt do it im gonna reinstall XP.

AstroLad said:
Thanks Minsc, I will check those out.

What do you dudes think of this monitor (if you know anything about it)? I'm trying to stay at 22" roughly so that limits me a touch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001311

It seems like a great monitor, cnet has an excellent review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-2233rz/4505-3174_7-33499496.html

Personally, if you are going to get it I would just drop the $600 and get the whole kit from nvidia to use for 3d games:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_GeForce_3D_VisionBundle_us.html

Jirotrom said:
Hey guys... I've been using the onboard sound since I got this but I do own a
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card. Now should I be using this sound card, or is it all right to sell it and keep using the onboard sound?

This is my soundcard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102189

This is my MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043

If your bothered about decent surround support in games and/or want to use a set of stereo headphones for full surround sound, yes, keep the card.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Grayman said:
ahh. well that is one of the games that will have the biggest difference at 120hz.
ahhhhhhh ok. i just had to check to see it wasn't a subtle criticism of the monitor

Kipe

I thought TN monitors were terrible. On the cnet review the colors looked washed out when they were playing the Where the Wild Things Are trailer.

Yazus

How much can I overclock a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (Stock 3.0Ghz), I have a Artic Cooling 64LP CPU Cooler, Corsair XMS 800Mhz RAM (2x2GB) and a Gigabyte 790X UD4 Mobo. I'd like to know how much can I push the CPU, without making it instable or making it too hot. I'd like a mid temperature, something that does not change drastically the fans speed/CPU Life.

Also I'd like to know how much I have to set the FSB/Multiplier to have the Ghz.

Thanks in advance

TheExodu5

Banned
They actually have native 120Hz monitors now? Awesome.

Going to have to upgrade to ultra high end vidja cards when I get that. I wonder if they'll allow for a 75 or 85Hz mode. Would get the smothness of 120Hz (minus the 3D glasses benefit), with less performance demand. I miss 85Hz gaming.

asdad123

I'm trying to get a decent gaming laptop for around $1000. Any suggestions?
At the moment I'm looking at a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a 1gb 4670. Will that card handle new games from this year?

Minsc

Gold Member
asdad123 said:
I'm trying to get a decent gaming laptop for around $1000. Any suggestions?
At the moment I'm looking at a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a 1gb 4670. Will that card handle new games from this year?

I think the 260M & 280M will be much more capable for this year's games, hopefully K. Jack will see your post!

asdad123

Minsc said:
I think the 260M & 280M will be much more capable for this year's games, hopefully K. Jack will see your post!

How about the 130m? I keep seeing laptops with that video card on newegg

SuperEnemyCrab said:
It seems like a great monitor, cnet has an excellent review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-2233rz/4505-3174_7-33499496.html

Personally, if you are going to get it I would just drop the $600 and get the whole kit from nvidia to use for 3d games:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_GeForce_3D_VisionBundle_us.html

I think I'll echo that. The big reason to go with that monitor is for the 3D vision support and with a 295, you're perfectly placed to make use of it.

Otherwise I'd go with a 21.5" 1080p set, or, ideally, step up to a 23" 1080p set.

asdad123 said:
How about the 130m? I keep seeing laptops with that video card on newegg

No, not really suitable at all. The 4670 isn't a bad laptop card at all but make sure it uses DDR3 memory. However, Nvidia have just launched a bunch of new mobile parts and the 250M looks perfec for what you're looking for, as its got a really low power draw but performance should be quite close to a desktop 9800GT.

Yazus said:
How much can I overclock a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (Stock 3.0Ghz), I have a Artic Cooling 64LP CPU Cooler, Corsair XMS 800Mhz RAM (2x2GB) and a Gigabyte 790X UD4 Mobo. I'd like to know how much can I push the CPU, without making it instable or making it too hot. I'd like a mid temperature, something that does not change drastically the fans speed/CPU Life.

Also I'd like to know how much I have to set the FSB/Multiplier to have the Ghz.

Thanks in advance

You'll never know until you get your hands on the chip, but you should be able to manage 3.6-3.8ghz I would think. More if you're lucky, less if you're not.

zbarron

TheExodu5 said:
They actually have native 120Hz monitors now? Awesome.

Going to have to upgrade to ultra high end vidja cards when I get that. I wonder if they'll allow for a 75 or 85Hz mode. Would get the smothness of 120Hz (minus the 3D glasses benefit), with less performance demand. I miss 85Hz gaming.
My friend has one. The 3D gave him a headache after about half an hour so he tried to sell it but then he got used to it more or less. He can't see the difference between 60fps/60hz and 120fps/120hz. I would like it for bragging rights as well as for the smoothness of motion. Imagine playing a console port at 4x the framerate with no tearing.

asdad123

brain_stew said:
No, not really suitable at all. The 4670 isn't a bad laptop card at all but make sure it uses DDR3 memory. However, Nvidia have just launched a bunch of new mobile parts and the 250M looks perfec for what you're looking for, as its got a really low power draw but performance should be quite close to a desktop 9800GT.
Im not sure if the 4670 uses DDR3 but it most likely does. If it does use the DDR3, then which card would be better, the 130m or the 4670? I cant find any laptops with the 250m.

asdad123 said:
Im not sure if the 4670 uses DDR3 but it most likely does. If it does use the DDR3, then which card would be better, the 130m or the 4670? I cant find any laptops with the 250m.

4670 by a very serious magin, a laptop with a 130m isn't worth considering. The laptop linked by Hazaro is worth considering, but personally I don't think any of these options currently warrant their asking price. Prices have risen in the last couple of months and much faster chips will start hitting machines very soon, so I'd hold out a little while longer.

A ~$1000 15.6" machine with a GTS 250m is what I'd be holding out for.

Xdrive05

About the Phenom ii 940 X4. I overclocked mine to 3.4 @ stock volts just by bumping up the multiplier a few times. It's prime stable and all that. Pretty nice for a "free" overclock. Netted me nearly 1000 more points in 3dMark06 and my temps are good.

Makes me want to actually shoot for the limit... must resist...

Ok guys so i bought my PC components and put everything together smoothly... but i'm having a problem. When i turned on the computer for the first time, everything seemed to be working fine, but after a few seconds the computer turned off. I decided to open it and look inside while turning it on, and i realized that the CPU heatsink fan is not spinning. Well, when it is turned on it spins for a second or two, and then stops. The fan then once in awhile begins to wiggle as if it were starting, but then dies out. I've tried reconnecting it, but i don't know what's wrong. Help?

Kipe said:
I thought TN monitors were terrible. On the cnet review the colors looked washed out when they were playing the Where the Wild Things Are trailer.

You get faster response time/lower price in trade off for less color gamut with a TN panel, but they are not "terrible" by any means. In fact TN panels seem to be the only ones on the market at 120hz refresh rates.

Yazus said:

Thanks in advance

If you do plan to overclock make sure it is stable for atleast 30min-1hr in OCCT, many other programs seem stable but won't push your CPU the same way.

Why is PC GAF always missing when i need them the most?

I solved the CPU fan problem by just reconnecting countless wires, but my PC still shuts off after a few seconds. What else have i done wrong?

Spy

To me it seems as if the PC is entering a new-gen with Core i7, DDR3, and the GTX300/Radeon HD 5000 cards coming soon. Here's my final (as I call it) current-gen build. :lol I heard the E8700 will be coming out next month, if that's the case then I will be using that processor.

Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R Mid Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112241

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Corsair 620W 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

ASUS Maximus II Formula Intel P45 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131319

Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

ASUS ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121311

FromTheFuture said:
Why is PC GAF always missing when i need them the most?

I solved the CPU fan problem by just reconnecting countless wires, but my PC still shuts off after a few seconds. What else have i done wrong?

FromTheFuture said:
Ok guys so i bought my PC components and put everything together smoothly... but i'm having a problem. When i turned on the computer for the first time, everything seemed to be working fine, but after a few seconds the computer turned off. I decided to open it and look inside while turning it on, and i realized that the CPU heatsink fan is not spinning. Well, when it is turned on it spins for a second or two, and then stops. The fan then once in awhile begins to wiggle as if it were starting, but then dies out. I've tried reconnecting it, but i don't know what's wrong. Help?

Did you manage to get into the BIOS?

Alright so when i unplug the 4-pin ATX-12v the computer stays on and doesn't shut off after a few seconds. Is it alright to leave the 4-pin unplugged?

Now the problem i'm having when it is on is that i can't get an image to show up on the screen. I used something very similar to brain stew's 500$ build, and the mobo itself does not have a port to plug into a monitor. How do i get the image to show up on the screen?

No, i have not seen the BIOS due to it shutting off, and because i don't know how to get the image to show up on the monitor...

edit. Is my power supply not strong enough? I asked around and someone said it would be fine, but is it possible that my Antec 902 is taking up too much power due to all of the fans?

Top Bottom