• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Fredescu

FromTheFuture said:
Now the problem i'm having when it is on is that i can't get an image to show up on the screen. I used something very similar to brain stew's 500$ build, and the mobo itself does not have a port to plug into a monitor. How do i get the image to show up on the screen?
You have the monitor plugged into the video card right?

Basically reseat everything. Reseat your RAM, video card, check your CPU, maybe sure all the power connectors are plugged in, unplug everything non essential like drives.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Something I just wondered, are EVGA's superclocked editions basically just the same card with OC settings set in the factory, or do they actually add any extra cooling solutions to compensate?

Fredescu said:
You have the monitor plugged into the video card right?

Basically reseat everything. Reseat your RAM, video card, check your CPU, maybe sure all the power connectors are plugged in, unplug everything non essential like drives.
Yes, i have the monitor plugged into the video card. The thing im wondering about now is that the video card has two plugs for 6 pin power cords, yet my power supply only has one 6 pin. Is this a problem?

I'm worried that i relied on someone and they didnt look over my build carefully enough. I reseated everything and it's turning on and running fine, but i can't quite seem to get the image on the screen.

DarthWoo said:
Something I just wondered, are EVGA's superclocked editions basically just the same card with OC settings set in the factory, or do they actually add any extra cooling solutions to compensate?

i dont believe so, having never seen one... maybe newegg has some pictures to compare?

FromTheFuture said:
Yes, i have the monitor plugged into the video card. The thing im wondering about now is that the video card has two plugs for 6 pin power cords, yet my power supply only has one 6 pin. Is this a problem?

I'm worried that i relied on someone and they didnt look over my build carefully enough. I reseated everything and it's turning on and running fine, but i can't quite seem to get the image on the screen.

what is your Power supply? can you post the specs?

FromTheFuture said:
No, i have not seen the BIOS due to it shutting off, and because i don't know how to get the image to show up on the monitor...

So did you press "DEL" (I can't remember which button it is..might be one of the F-buttons) to get into the BIOS?

Fredescu

FromTheFuture said:
This is your problem. You will need both of those plugged in for it to work. The video card will come with a molex (old looking four pin thing) to 6 pin convertor. Find that, plug it into the PSU and the other end into the video card.

FromTheFuture said:
I'm worried that i relied on someone and they didnt look over my build carefully enough.
That was me. Everything you have is compatible with each other.

FromTheFuture said:

The video card should have come with at least 1 4pin adapter, so using that combined with the one already on the power supply you should be set.

Take out all the RAM but 1 stick, leave that in the primary slot. Disconnect the hdd drive and reseat the video card to make sure it's in properly. Plug in the 4 pin CPU power cord. See what happens.

Is the motherboard beeping or any lights coming on it at all? Make sure you mounted it properly using the brass stand off pins. Is the CPU fan staying on?

Anyway, give that a try...

Yeah... one slight problem... I don't think that my video card came with any adapter at all. All i remember inside was the card, a small pamphlet, a free game and the software. I don't see any cord of any sort anywhere. Any ideas?

edit. Is it because i bought this odd brand Powercolor? It was in the 500$ rig thread... =\

Also, Fredescu, i hope you haven't taken any offense. I wasn't quite sure who reviewed the specs and i began to worry that it might have been a no-name junior trying to be a know it all or something. I trust you, i hope i haven't given the wrong impression. I knew it was probably something on my end, but the power cutting out made me begin to worry my PSU wasn't strong enough either.

Spy

Spy said:
To me it seems as if the PC is entering a new-gen with Core i7, DDR3, and the GTX300/Radeon HD 5000 cards coming soon. Here's my final (as I call it) current-gen build. :lol I heard the E8700 will be coming out next month, if that's the case then I will be using that processor.

Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R Mid Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112241

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Corsair 620W 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

ASUS Maximus II Formula Intel P45 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131319

Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

ASUS ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121311
Any suggestions on the build?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Spy said:
Any suggestions on the build?
Looks fine.
FromTheFuture said:
Yeah... one slight problem... I don't think that my video card came with any adapter at all. All i remember inside was the card, a small pamphlet, a free game and the software. I don't see any cord of any sort anywhere. Any ideas?

edit. Is it because i bought this odd brand Powercolor? It was in the 500$ rig thread... =\
Really? It should come with one...
*Guess not, cheap bastards :lol

See if anyone here has one to spare or ask in the free thread here / anandtech / [H]
I tossed out a lot of my misc comp stuff so I doubt I have one.

Hazaro said:
Looks fine.

Really? It should come with one...
*Guess not, cheap bastards :lol

See if anyone here has one to spare or ask in the free thread here / anandtech / [H]
I tossed out a lot of my misc comp stuff so I doubt I have one.
:lol Well damn. Companies cheaping out on me just got me really stressed/pissed. Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for the help everyone. I'll see if i can get an adapter somewhere or just buy one tomorrow and hopefully that will make everything work.

asdad123

Would this run games well?
Dell Studio XPS 16
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9550 (6MB cache/2.66GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
Edge-to-Edge HD Widescreen 16.0 inch WLED LCD (1366x768) W/2.0 MP
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB

The main reason why I am leaning towards the dell is because my company gets a discount. I can get this for 1200 after taxes.

Fredescu

FromTheFuture said:

Looking at the box contents it sounds like it doesn't come with a power cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131140

Package Contents

AX4870 512MD5
Driver Disk
User's Manual
S-Video to Composite Adapter
DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter

That's annoying, every other card of that model lists power cable in the contents:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150403
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161268

I'm not sure what your best bet is from here. Basically you need a connector that looks like this: http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/files/x1900__6pinpcie2molex_118.jpg

Perhaps it's something that Newegg stock, I'm not sure, I'm not from the US. Perhaps you can buy one at a local PC hardware store or you could even find someone with a spare in your area. People often end up with spares they don't need.

FromTheFuture said:
Also, Fredescu, i hope you haven't taken any offense. I wasn't quite sure who reviewed the specs and i began to worry that it might have been a no-name junior trying to be a know it all or something. I trust you, i hope i haven't given the wrong impression. I knew it was probably something on my end, but the power cutting out made me begin to worry my PSU wasn't strong enough either.
No worries. The PC won't boot without a video card and the video card won't start without enough power, which is why it sounds like it's cutting out.

Spy

asdad123 said:
Dell Studio XPS 16

The main reason why I am leaning towards the dell is because my company gets a discount. I can get this for 1200 after taxes.
EDIT: Doh!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
asdad123 said:
Dell Studio XPS 16

Videocard is so so. Like Spy said, you can build that for much cheaper. For 1200 you can probably even get an amazing PC that will be the top dog for years to come.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FromTheFuture said:
:lol Well damn. Companies cheaping out on me just got me really stressed/pissed. Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for the help everyone. I'll see if i can get an adapter somewhere or just buy one tomorrow and hopefully that will make everything work.
Ask newegg to send you one for free nicely :D

Grayman

Does anyone have experience sharing one PC between their couch/TV and a desk with a monitor? If no one has tldr tell me to just fucking google it.

I am loving the PC on a tv but it is keeping me out of quake live! The distance is actually not that long, the mouse and kb could reach both spots if the PC was under the desk(and I picked up a keyboard with some length, i still use ps/2). Not interested in wireless.

How long can hdmi(via DVI) and vga(via DVI) cables get before there are issues?
Will I have problems running each screen at different resolutions, can I still get full performance on either screen without changing around wiring?

asdad123 said:
Dell Studio XPS 16

nah man, you can get a much better and cheaper desktop.

Minsc

Gold Member
Teetris said:
Yeah, for a laptop that is pretty good.

Yea, I just wonder if you could do much better for $1000, I'd personally hate to buy a laptop to use for gaming and have a card that's much faster come out a month later for less money.

Here's another site with about 100+ videocards organized in to different classes.

The 4670 is in the 2nd class, maybe that will help put the different cards in to perspective. The 250M is in the first grouping, I wonder if there's any other laptops with video cards from the first grouping for around 1k

Minsc

Gold Member
asdad123 said:
Theres this asus at best buy with a 260m but only a P7350. Is the card that much better to get the worse processor?

It sounds like a much better buy to me, there's no doubt the video card is better, but I just know no matter what I say when it comes to laptops, I'll be wrong. :lol

Don't both models have a P7350 cpu? I googled that dell and that's what came up.

asdad123

Minsc said:
It sounds like a much better buy to me, there's no doubt the video card is better, but I just know no matter what I say when it comes to laptops, I'll be wrong. :lol

Don't both models have a P7350 cpu? I googled that dell and that's what came up.

I was going to customize it and get it with a T9550

There's a lot of PC guys so I figured I'd ask here. I want to play Half-life Source, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, etc on my laptop via Steam, but they run too fast. It feels like I'm on crack. Any ideas on how to slow this down? I already limited the framerate to 60 through the console, but I still move at double speed.

reggieandTFE said:
There's a lot of PC guys so I figured I'd ask here. I want to play Half-life Source, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, etc on my laptop via Steam, but they run too fast. It feels like I'm on crack. Any ideas on how to slow this down? I already limited the framerate to 60 through the console, but I still move at double speed.

Enable V-sync?

Never heard of this issue, tbh.

FromTheFuture said:

The GPU should come with a duel molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter, you need to use this. The GPU won't work unless both of its 6 pin slots are occupied. The PSU should be able to manage it just fine, you've just got to make sure its properly wired up.

Edit: It doesn't come with one? Damn, never heard of a card like that before, I'm going to change the $500 rig because of this, its a simple oversight but its not something I've ever come across, I've got like 3 spares myself but being in the UK its not much help.

Any local PC hardware/component shop should sell them, shouldn't be more than a couple of dollars. Heck, ask around any of your friends/relatives, if they've ever bough a GPU they'll likely have a spare one laying around somewhere.

Edit: This is what you need:

pcie6.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
asdad123 said:
I was going to customize it and get it with a T9550

Well looks like that the best buy one was correct for the best gaming laptop for ~1K. K Jack said in a pm:

K. Jack said:
Well, the "best" ~$1k notebook performance-wise is a no-brainer, and that's Best Buy's Asus G51VX-RX05. I'm not a fan of the style, screen res (1366x768), 6-cell battery, or the fact that the GPU gets into the +90° range, but its GTX 260M (desktop 9800 GT) is unrivaled in the 15" market. In a close second is the previous generation Asus G50, with its 9800M GS (desktop 9600 GT).

That 9800M GS is still in the first class of graphics cards, so both those laptops would be better than the dell one. Generally 3D Cards >>> CPUs for gaming performance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
reggieandTFE said:
Do you have an older AMD dual core?
There are I believe a few bug fixes for this somewhere. I've only heard about it before though.

Hazaro said:
The 260M is so wasted at that screen resolution :/

*Whoops DP

Well I use to run a desktop 8800GT (basically the same card) at that res. and felt it was a pretty good match tbh. I'd always venture on the side of an overpowered GPU with a notebook as it can often be difficult/expensive for your average consumer to upgrade later on.

Still, its the power draw / heat that'd be my main concern. With the 250M on the way with around half the power draw and no huge loss in performance, it'd make me wary.

Grayman

Hazaro said:
Do you have an older AMD dual core?
There are I believe a few bug fixes for this somewhere. I've only heard about it before though.
I think i have heard that as well, the solution might be setting the app to run on one core.

Spy

Spy said:
To me it seems as if the PC is entering a new-gen with Core i7, DDR3, and the GTX300/Radeon HD 5000 cards coming soon. Here's my final (as I call it) current-gen build. :lol I heard the E8700 will be coming out next month, if that's the case then I will be using that processor.

Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R Mid Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112241

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Corsair 620W 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

ASUS Maximus II Formula Intel P45 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131319

Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

x2 CrossFire ASUS ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121311
I decided to CrossFire the 4890's and now I'm debating on whether to get the E8700 or Q9750.

dionysus

Yaldog
Spy said:
I decided to CrossFire the 4890's and now I'm debating on whether to get the E8700 or Q9750.

Any particular reason you are avoiding the AMD phenom II x4 blacks? Those are great chips for the not i7 range.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
brain_stew said:
Still, its the power draw / heat that'd be my main concern. With the 250M on the way with around half the power draw and no huge loss in performance, it'd make me wary.
Frankly, anyone who can wait a few months to buy a gaming notebook, should wait. Nvidia's 40nm mobile chips are just a few months away.
asdad123 said:
Dell Studio XPS 16

Yes, that will run any game quite well at that resolution.

K.Jack said:
Frankly, anyone who can wait a few months to buy a gaming notebook, should wait. Nvidia's 40nm mobile chips are just a few months away.

Yes, that will run any game quite well at that resolution.

I was a bit taken aback when I saw the specs and power demands of them chips, they look a real breakthrough. Heck, they're even DX 10.1 compatible and use GDDR5, unlike any other Nvidia chips. To squeeze in most of the performance of a desktop 9800GT into 28w is a heck of an achievement.

I'm still quite a fan of the 4670 as a mobile chip, that thing will play any game at really great settings so long as you're stuck at 720p/1280x1024 resolutions and the like, but the potential power/watt of these new Nvidia chips is too hard to ignore.

The 8800GTX hit with a TDP of around 180w, yet now you can get a mobile part that stands up really well to it with a TDP over 6x as low. A 5-6x increase in performance/watt in around 2 and a half years is decent progress by my reckoning.

DarthWoo said:

(GTX 285 SC owner here)

Factory overclocked and validated, yes. There's no extra cooling because they have to be validated to run within the standard range. EVGA does sell parts built for watercooling sometimes, though (and you can order plates for that sort of thing on their website. I noticed you can sometimes get stuff like bottom cooling plates too if you want two-way cooling of the bigger cards.)

I'm looking to overclock my i7 920, but I have absolutely no experience with overclocking. Can anyone recommend a a useful guide or FAQ?

My system:

i7 920
Asus P6T
6 GB DDR3-1333 Corsair
750W Corsair PS
XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan

I don't really want to push it to the max, but what kind of clock speed would be a good target with these specs?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Basileus777 said:
I'm looking to overclock my i7 920, but I have absolutely no experience with overclocking. Can anyone recommend a a useful guide or FAQ?

My system:

i7 920
Asus P6T
6 GB DDR3-1333 Corsair
750W Corsair PS
XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan

I don't really want to push it to the max, but what kind of clock speed would be a good target with these specs?
3.6 is a nice number. So is 3.4

There should be quite a few on Anandtech, XS, OCF, [H]

Ugh....I ordered from ewiz last week and now they tell me it's on back order and won't even ship out till next week. By the time I get my 4890 the DX11 cards will be out! lol

edit:

Oh wow just got an email it shipped out.....now I have to wait on my Samsung monitor that has been in repair for the past 2 weeks.

Top Bottom