• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Sleeker said:
what are the differences between a q9400 @ 2.66 Ghz and an i7 920 @ 2.66 ghz?

The Q9400 runs on Intels old motherboards. It was one of the later quads before the jump to i7. AMD offerings are better and cheaper.

Sleeker said:
really?
care to elaborate?

AMD Phenom II 940 is a better chip and cheaper to boot. At this point for buying Intel CPU's its i7 or bust. The Phenom II 550, 720 and 940 have all the bases covered apart from the enthusiast level.

AMDs only answer to the i7 range are the 945 and 955 CPU's, which use DDR3, but the i7's outperform them.

Ephemeris

TheHeretic said:
AMD Phenom II 940 is a better chip and cheaper to boot. At this point for buying Intel CPU's its i7 or bust. The Phenom II 550, 720 and 940 have all the bases covered apart from the enthusiast level.

AMDs only answer to the i7 range are the 945 and 955 CPU's, which use DDR3, but the i7's outperform them.
yeah, pretty much.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sleeker said:
I look at these two products and I cant see why i would choose i7 920 over the 955

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_29&products_id=38256
http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=36104

its cheaper and has a higher clock speed
is it also true that "black edition" also means its for OCing?

http://service.futuremark.com/hardware

955 scores 16.8K
i7 scores 29.4K

Almost double the performance, damn. 955 isn't even in the same league as the i7.

Edit: Didn't see you were singling out the 920, even that scores 24.1K which is almost 50% faster. Still a huge step up.

Minsc said:
http://service.futuremark.com/hardware

955 scores 16.8K
i7 scores 29.4K

Almost double the performance, damn. 955 isn't even in the same league as the i7.

Edit: Didn't see you were singling out the 920, even that scores 24.1K which is almost 50% faster. Still a huge step up.

Techreport has some very nice graphs of performance vs. price here.

This graph in particular takes into account the price of motherboards for the various platforms.

average_fullsystem_scatter.gif

The value/price of the i7s drops very rapidly after the 920.

Minsc

Gold Member
lowlylowlycook said:
Techreport has some very nice graphs of performance vs. price here.

This graph in particular takes into account the price of motherboards for the various platforms.

average_fullsystem_scatter.gif

The value/price of the i7s drops very rapidly after the 920.

Actually the 940 is not too far out of line from the X3 720.

X3 720 = 125% @ <$600
i 940 = 210% @ ~$1,100

So you're getting almost double the performance for almost double the price. Factor in the 950s are probably going to take the 940's spot, and it should help even more. It's only the 965 that's really far off line.

Minsc said:

X3 720 = 125% @ <$600
i 940 = 210% @ ~$1,100

So you're getting almost double the performance for almost double the price. Factor in the 950s are probably going to take the 940's spot, and it should help even more. It's only the 965 that's really far off line.

Well the x axis is a bit arbitrary in a graph like that since it depends on what is included in the system price. If you look at the "best bang for the buck" trend line from 6400+ to the X4 940 or eve to the i7 920 there is a pretty big kink out to the other i7s.

Also that graph there is a combination of Anandtech's benchmarks and may not represent what any particular person needs.

Of course, for gaming purposes, it's hard to imagine needing more power than a i7 920 any time soon. If you do 3D rendering for a living then perhaps even the 965 is worth the money.

Minsc said:

X3 720 = 125% @ <$600
i 940 = 210% @ ~$1,100

Good luck finding many (if any?) real world applications that actually deliver twice the performance of an X3 720 with an i7 940. People don't tend to use synthetic benchmarks in real world scenarios all that much.

I could sort of see the argument if it wasn't for the OCing capacity of the i7 920, which pretty much makes all higher priced i7s a simple waste of cash in my eyes.

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
Good luck finding many (if any?) real world applications that actually deliver twice the performance of an X3 720 with an i7 940. People don't tend to use synthetic benchmarks in real world scenarios all that much.

I could sort of see the argument if it wasn't for the OCing capacity of the i7 920, which pretty much makes all higher priced i7s a simple waste of cash in my eyes.

That is true, those benchmarks probably exaggerate the return by a ton more than a set of gaming benchmarks would show.

They should make a set of charts like that, but instead of using all those graphics suite & office benchmarks, do gaming ones, maybe even use two dots, one for the typical overclock of the cpu and one for a factory level clock.

TheExodu5

Banned
dionysus said:
Applications now won't be able to take advantage. But you are buying a lot of longevity with an i7.

If there's anything PC enthusiasts should know, it's that you should never buy for longevity. Always buy for the here and now. $200 saved today is worth a good $400-600 to you in 18 months.

Minsc said:
That is true, those benchmarks probably exaggerate the return by a ton more than a set of gaming benchmarks would show.

They should make a set of charts like that, but instead of using all those graphics suite & office benchmarks, do gaming ones, maybe even use two dots, one for the typical overclock of the cpu and one for a factory level clock.

And then some! :lol :lol

With a single GPU rig, you're going to see very, very small gains once you get into X2 550 territory, and that's a $105 CPU, so yeah, as far as gamers are concerned that chart's pretty much worthless. If you main task is 3D modelling, then yeah, it may have its uses, but even then you rarely get real world implementations with as perfect SMT as you get in the sythetics.

TheExodu5 said:
If there's anything PC enthusiasts should know, it's that you should never buy for longevity. Always buy for the here and now. $200 saved today is worth a good $400-600 to you in 18 months.

I have to stress this. Things never play out how you expect them to, and you'll probably just get inpatient and upgrade that i7 to the new hotness before it fulfills that "potential" anyway.

Buying a low cost quad like a 940 is about the most "future proofness" I'd go as far as flat out recommending (for gamers at least anyway) because at least quads are starting to finally show tangible benefits now, even if they're still rather small.

I don't want to downplay how good a CPU the i7 920 is, its really an awesome bit of kit, but it really just doesn't match up to the needs of all that many people.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i buy for longevity, but this is because i am lazy/apathetic when it comes to upgrading. i like to set it up and leave it be for a few years. i acknowledge that this runs counter to all that is holy in i-need-a-new-pc gaf. even i'm not crazy enough to get a 965 though, so i do have my limits.

ps what are good speakers? doesn't seem like any have been recommended for a while here. premium on small footprint.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've never been able to find a pair of decent PC speakers. Was shopping for some last year, and the best I heard was the crappy BOSE 2.1 setup.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gah, yeah the ones I've seen/had are either really crappy or far too ambitous/have a huge footprint. Unfortunately for me I don't really like using headphones either.

zbarron

AstroLad said:
Gah, yeah the ones I've seen/had are either really crappy or far too ambitous/have a huge footprint. Unfortunately for me I don't really like using headphones either.
Is getting a small receiver and several bookshelf speakers not an option? That would give you much better sound than the crappy satellites found in most PC speaker setups.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
zbarron said:
Is getting a small receiver and several bookshelf speakers not an option? That would give you much better sound than the crappy satellites found in most PC speaker setups.
Yeah, that's just too much. I really don't want to clutter things up and my sound needs for my PC setup are pretty low since I don't listen to music or watch movies on PC. Think these might fit my needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116044

AstroLad said:
Yeah, that's just too much. I really don't want to clutter things up and my sound needs for my PC setup are pretty low since I don't listen to music or watch movies on PC. Think these might fit my needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116044

I've had these for about a year:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

Really great 2.1 system, and it has a headphone jack on the dongle. (i'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but it's to early on a monday)

would my stock Q6600 bottleneck my 2 GTX 260s? I dont really know how to read 3dmark scores but when i tested it once with the 2 9600 gts, the cpu score was higher and now its switched

TheExodu5

Banned
AstroLad said:

Those Creatives are god awful. Stay far, far away. Not even worth $50.

I'm a big BOSE hater in the audio world, but they absolutely smoke those Creatives.

I'd say stay away from the Logitechs as well.

The only half decent set of cheap PC speakers I've heard recently was a pair of Altec Lansings...forget the model though.

zbarron

So what is a good laptop for $800-$1000 USD? I know someone who needs a laptop for college and he wants it to last him a while but also wants to play PC games.

dionysus

Yaldog
evil solrac v3.0 said:
would my stock Q6600 bottleneck my 2 GTX 260s? I dont really know how to read 3dmark scores but when i tested it once with the 2 9600 gts, the cpu score was higher and now its switched

Depends on the game. Most games are not CPU limited. CPU intensive games it will probably be a bottleneck. Empire: TW is a good example of a cpu intensive game.

If you have to 260s I'd definitely make my next upgrade the CPU. Also, it is very easy to overclock a q6600 to at least 3GHz.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
zbarron said:
So what is a good laptop for $800-$1000 USD? I know someone who needs a laptop for college and he wants it to last him a while but also wants to play PC games.
First a few questions to thin the field:

- Does he have a max screen size? - Will he be carrying this to class, and is weight/size important?

- Does he have a required battery life?

- How important are aesthetics?

- What kind of gaming does he do?

AstroLad said:
DON'T!!!!

For $60 less you can get the best desktop speakers to ever hit the market, if you can hunt down a set of Kipsch 2.0 ProMedias

that's actually a pretty suitable solution you found yourself :]
zbarron said:
i kno where you can get him a $900 macbook pro ;p

evil solrac v3.0 said:

Not if you overclock it.

AstroLad said:

I recently purchased these and I love them but I'm a big bass head so they may not fit your tastes. Style-wise they look amazing I have had a couple people comment on them and I have only had them for a little for a week. If you love bass and want a sexy ass speaker set these can't be beat.

Malvolio

Mr. Spinnington said:
DON'T!!!!

For $60 less you can get the best desktop speakers to ever hit the market, if you can hunt down a set of Kipsch 2.0 ProMedias

How long have you been using these? The reason I ask is because I had a pair and really liked them, but they just stopped working after about a year. After a while everything that I would send to them would play at like 1/10 volume and adjusting the volume before them only made them sound worse. Finally they just stopped playing anything back at all. I miss those little guys. =(

I know I'm going to get flack for this but can anyone direct us to some good resources for overclocking? (preferably with videos). I know I'm not the only one that is hesitant to OC my CPU.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
so what is the best, easiest way to overclock? never having done this before?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/oc-guide.html
Gully State said:
I know I'm going to get flack for this but can anyone direct us to some good resources for overclocking? (preferably with videos). I know I'm not the only one that is hesitant to OC my CPU.
Or: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-guide,15.html
or http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2188777,00.asp

There are lots of guides out there, but at the end of the day, when it comes to overclocking, it just takes a bit of time and effort. Remember though, not all CPUs are built alike, some will overclock well, some will not, it's all trial and error at the end of the day, and unlike yesteryear where failed overclocking = certain PC death a failed overclock usually requires a CMOS clear at worst.

Good hunting both of you.

Edit: Just for reference, my current CPU (A Q9400), overclocks from 2.66Ghz to 3.6Ghz with little tweaking to the voltage and PCI-E frequency and Ram timings using my current motherboard (A Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P). However it wasn't always so easy, my old motherboard (The Gigabyte GA-G31-SF2) wouldn't push the thing past 3.0Ghz no matter what I done (Trying to boot past it would end up in boot refuses at worst, or BSOD city at best), so it shows that overclocking depends on more than just the CPU.

MoFuzz

If I send Western Digital a big long e-mail, what are the chances of getting them to pay for my hard drive data to be recovered seeing as how it died without warning, one month after I bought it and transferred everything over?

AZ Greg

Quick general question:

I have an 8800GT that has a DVI port and a monitor that does as well (Though I have them connected via a VGA cable at the moment). What I want to do is connect my PC to my TV so I can play games/emulators on it. My TV has an HDMI port so I know I'll need an DVI -> HDMI converter, but what I'm wondering is this: Should I plug the DVI cable into my stack and then connect the cable to the DVI -> HDMI converter and finally into the TV or should I leave my stack plugged into my computer monitor via VGA and then connect the DVI cable into my monitor and then plug that into the converter and finally into my TV? Will both of these methods work? Which one is better if so?

Thanks!

Minsc

Gold Member
MoFuzz said:
If I send Western Digital a big long e-mail, what are the chances of getting them to pay for my hard drive data to be recovered seeing as how it died without warning, one month after I bought it and transferred everything over?

That sucks. I'd say unlikely, I think you'd be much better off served calling on the phone and requesting to speak to a case manager. Don't even bother with the minimum wage idiots that don't speak english, you're best chances of accomplishing that are with a case manager over the phone.

You really need to have a backup plan in motion day one, with any mechanical drive. Nothing is guaranteed to work the next day, so your best bet is to setup up an automated backup at least a few times a week, to an online server, or another drive, whatever. It usually takes a drive containing months or years of a person's life to fail before someone will invest the few hours in setting up a backup routine, unfortunately.

Actually if the drive is within 30 days of purchase you qualify for free tech support, and the tech support people are extremely competent at WD. I'd dealt with them trying to get around drivers on a NT server before, and had no problems when I called.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Overclocking is something that sounds harder than it is, even the best guides make it sound a little complex, but once you OC your first CPU you'll see how easy it really is.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
so what is the best, easiest way to overclock? never having done this before?

You'll need to buy a custom CPU heat sink and fan before you begin overclocking. Its easy to do and seeing as you have the same CPU as me I can give you some specs right now. All you'll need to change (assuming you have DDR2 800) is:

Multiplier: 8
Front Side Bus: 400
Vcore: 1.4v
North Bridge: 1.4v

Boom, you are done. With these settings you'll be running at 3.2ghz. Every CPU is different but thats an easy starting point.

Slavik81

MoFuzz said:
I'd say it's probably unlikely. Making backups is your responsibility. The warrenty means they'll replace the drive, if it breaks, not that they guaranty that it won't break.
It's not really backed up unless you have three copies. Your personal, usable copy, one on-site backup and one off-site. That's the only way you'll still have a copy if your house burns down. Also, RAID is not a real backup.

Speaking of which, I should actually create a backup for my own computer. I haven't gotten a new backup since my external drive died.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
AstroLad said:
i buy for longevity, but this is because i am lazy/apathetic when it comes to upgrading. i like to set it up and leave it be for a few years. i acknowledge that this runs counter to all that is holy in i-need-a-new-pc gaf. even i'm not crazy enough to get a 965 though, so i do have my limits.

ps what are good speakers? doesn't seem like any have been recommended for a while here. premium on small footprint.
Just remember, once you overclock the processor, that performance/price difference is even minimal.
Ikuu said:
Overclocking is something that sounds harder than it is, even the best guides make it sound a little complex, but once you OC your first CPU you'll see how easy it really is.
A good 24/7 OC is really hard to achieve. It took me a while to reach 4.0GHz 24/7

Top Bottom