• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

avaya

Minsc said:
Any good benches yet for that 295?

Also no Intel X25-M SSD (or it's faster, smaller brother)? Shame shame. You could have 6 second boot times and load games in 1/5th the time!

The 295 is the fastest available for the resolution I want to play at, (1920x1200), around 3-4fps off GTX280 SLi in Crysis on the highest settings. Above my resolution you'd be crazy not to get a 4870X2! The 295 is a stop-gap for me, I'm getting whatever the best DX11 part in Q4 is for a multi-GPU set-up. The SSD drives are not worth the price at the moment, I will get them when the levels drop to an acceptable range for more than 100GB of storage.

Minsc

Gold Member
iam220 said:
Yeah the 280's are actually well priced now. Cheapest on newegg is 324 after a 30 dollar mail in rebate. So I guess if going the 260 (216) route you might as well get the 280.

The cheapest on newegg is indeed $304.99 (after mail-in rebate). It may even be cheaper, but you have to click on every damned card to find the price, so I don't know :lol

avaya said:
The 295 is the fastest available for the resolution I want to play at, (1920x1200), around 3-4fps off GTX280 SLi in Crysis on the highest settings. Above my resolution you'd be crazy not to get a 4870X2! The 295 is a stop-gap for me, I'm getting whatever the best DX11 part in Q4 is for a multi-GPU set-up. The SSD drives are not worth the price at the moment, I will get them when the levels drop to an acceptable range for more than 100GB of storage.

Yea, I just want to see benchmarks of that 295 to see if it is indeed able to run DoW 2 and CoH at 1920x1200 @ 60 fps. If so, I'll be buying a new PC soon!

The SSD not being worth it is really up to your budget, and yours seemed quite high, what's another $300? :) They're significantly faster than any non-raided setup, and you can even raid the SSDs for even crazier performance. I do agree it is smarter to wait, as prices should fall way down at some point, enough to obsolete most of the current spinning drives.

The "real" advantage to me of the SSDs is that they should basically never fail, as there is no moving parts.

I guess the biggest downfall is the size, but as long as you can make do with a separate drive for storage, and with 1 TB of RAID1 protected data being $250, I can't see any reason to need the Windows drive to be 100s of GBs.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ok, took out all of my components, dusted everything off, remounted, put the 9800GT in my 2nd PCI-E slot...same framerate.

Here's something I noticed though. When I run ATI Tool in 3D mode to check the framerate, the fan runs at max speed and the framerate is roughly double than what I was getting with my 8600GT. But when I'm actually playing games, I never hear my fan get that loud no matter how demanding the game is. Could there be something limiting my card's performance to keep it cool that ATI Tool bypasses?

I haven't installed any of the software that came with my card except the MSI overclocking tool (which I'm not using atm).

Edit: Ugh never mind, guess I wasn't just hearing it. I think I'm running out of stuff to try :(

Case: Custom CM690
CPU: Core i7 920
Cooler: Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Black Ultra-120 w/Noctua NF-P12
Mobo: EVGA X58
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (9-9-9-24)
GPU: eVGA 9800GT (for now... step up once the GT212's hit)
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W Modular
Drives: Samsung 22X DVD Burner
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB

Build is still a bit fluid..... but lead time on my build is going to be end of this month early Feb.

Looking forward to SLI w/ a bigger GT(x) variant w/ the 9800GT doing the PhysX junk.

See.... I wasn't going to leave you guys.... ;-) :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what's the accepted method of heat paste application these days?

For an i7, of course.

iam220

Ysiadmihi said:
Ok, took out all of my components, dusted everything off, remounted, put the 9800GT in my 2nd PCI-E slot...same framerate.

Here's something I noticed though. When I run ATI Tool in 3D mode to check the framerate, the fan runs at max speed and the framerate is roughly double than what I was getting with my 8600GT. But when I'm actually playing games, I never hear my fan get that loud no matter how demanding the game is. Could there be something limiting my card's performance to keep it cool that ATI Tool bypasses?

I haven't installed any of the software that came with my card except the MSI overclocking tool (which I'm not using atm).

Edit: Ugh never mind, guess I wasn't just hearing it. I think I'm running out of stuff to try :(

Are you sure you don't have like 8x AA and 16AF set in your nvidia control panel?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
iam220 said:
Are you sure you don't have like 8x AA and 16AF set in your nvidia control panel?

Yeah, checked all that :(

I keep leaning towards it being the CPU but games that should be more CPU intensive (like RTS) actually run better than my other games. I can max out RA3 at 1280x1024 and it's very playable (though certainly not 60fps).

Minsc

Gold Member
Kadey said:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-295-review-bfg/

If I could get an even trade or perfect return, I'll gladly give up the X2 for the GTX 295. Despite the GDDR3 and less on board memory, benchmarks seem to be better in most aspects. Better drivers and an NForce board means no more BSOD for me.

Wow. Holy crap, I think that's the card to get for 1920x1200 gaming.

I love how the Mass Effect benchmark at 720p is in there, just to laugh at the 360 with. That card pulls off 200 fps compared to the 360's sub 30, and does the 200 fps with higher quality settings as well, and more AA.

Good job nVidia, good job.

It beat the 4870 X2 by about 10% or more in most of the tests too, and falls just short of a SLI 280 setup, like mentioned earlier.

VictimOfGrief said:
GPU: eVGA 9800GT (for now... step up once the GT212's hit)

I'm still catching up on all I've slacked behind on, but what are the GT212's, are they different than the 295?

Minsc said:
Wow. Holy crap, I think that's the card to get for 1920x1200 gaming.

I love how the Mass Effect benchmark at 720p is in there, just to laugh at the 360 with. That card pulls off 200 fps compared to the 360's sub 30, and does the 200 fps with higher quality settings as well, and more AA.

Good job nVidia, good job.

It beat the 4870 X2 by about 10% or more in most of the tests too, and falls just short of a SLI 280 setup, like mentioned earlier.

I'm still catching up on all I've slacked behind on, but what are the GT212's, are they different than the 295?

The GT212's are going to be fuck awesome is what they're going to be.

Let me dig up some some more info and I'll post it up. Basically.... It's going to make the GT200 cards look like the kiddy pool of Graphics cards.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hazaro said:
GT212 = Twice as awesome as the GTX 260

I think. :lol

The GTX 295 already's past that though, the above benches show it almost holding its own against 2 280's and beating 2 4870s. Maybe more like 8x going by Grief's description? :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Minsc said:
The GTX 295 already's past that though, the above benches show it almost holding its own against 2 280's and beating 2 4870s. Maybe more like 8x going by Grief's description? :D
But it's a single card.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ColbertCalledIt.gif

W90 – The Ultimate Multimedia Notebook said:
Bridging the Gap between Form and Function, the ASUS W90 Delivers Both Style and Performance in One Stunning Package

CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW, LAS VEGAS, NV (January 8, 2009)– The ASUS W90 represents a shift in the manufacturing and designing of the notebooks of today, where style plays an equally important role as performance. In blending the two elements together, the ASUS W90 can be likened to a high performance sports car—providing users with exhilarating performance and immaculate charm. Be it for entertainment or for work, the ASUS W90 is the definitive notebook for the modern, discerning consumer with an eye for design and attention to performance.

Designed For the Soul
An exquisite brushed aluminum top cover greets the user, conveying a sense of class and prestige. An ultra bright, high definition LCD display lends an air of sophistication with its flushed design, redolent of a top-of-the-range LCD television. These stylish features adorn a refreshingly clean and streamlined chassis, with speakers that are designed like the heating vents of a performance sports car. The cumulative effect of these design highlights imbues users with a sense of panache and power that only the W90 can provide.

Strength in Numbers: World Leading Graphical Performance and Memory Design
Powered by the dual graphics ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4870 X2, the W90 is capable of reaching the world’s best graphical performance for a notebook with an astonishing 3D Mark 2006 score of 15,000. The W90 also offers other graphical choices with either the ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD3850 X2 or the NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9800M GS; and complemented by a seamless Full HD1080p, 18.4” widescreen display with a 16:9 golden aspect ratio high definition ultra bright LCD display, the W90 delivers a truly stunning visual experience.

The W90 is also the world’s first notebook equipped with a 3 x SO-DIMM mainboard design; with a maximum RAM capacity of 6GB of DDR2-800 memory. This massive speed, coupled with an Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, provides the W90 with the muscle for extensive multitasking. Dual hard disk drives provide up to one terabyte of storage capacity, allowing users to do more, as well as store more documents or multimedia.

Multimedia performance is definitely another forte of the W90, with 6 Altec Lansing speakers shaped in the form of a sports car’s heating vents producing true 5.1 channel audio enjoyment via 5 speakers and an integrated subwoofer; while the 2nd generation Dolby™ Home Theater complements this ensemble perfectly to provide a symphonic audio experience. The combination of audio and visual enjoyment delivers a mind-blowing mix of high definition audio and visual entertainment that can be easily controlled via the ASUS exclusive AI Touch Media, an intuitive control panel located beside the keyboard on the notebook that combines a hardware and software interface for full control of videos, photographs, music, and various other forms of multimedia.

Turbo Performance beyond the limit – Turbo Gear
The ASUS W90 also comes equipped with the Turbo Gear function, which allows you to overclock your system to significantly increase its performance by up to 25%*, so that you can enjoy audio and video playback while gaming and web-browsing simultaneously.

Specifications
Processor and Cache Memory

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T9600/T9400/P8600/P8400
Intel® X38 + ICH10R Chipset, FSB=1066 MHz

Operating System

Microsoft® Vista 64 bit SP1 Premium

Main Memory

DDR2 800MHz, up to 6GB, 3xSO-DIMM slots support

Display

- 18.4” widescreen HD ultra-bright LCD display (W90Vp/W90Vn)
- 17” widescreen WUXGA ultra-bright LCD display (W90V)

Graphics Card

- ATI CrossFireX™ technology with ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4870 graphics, GDDR3 1024MB VRAM (W90Vp)
- NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS, GDDR3 1024MB VRAM (W90Vn)
- ATI CrossFireX™ technology with ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3850 graphics, GDDR3 1024MB VRAM (W90V)

Hard Disk Drive

320 + 320GB / 250 + 250GB / 500 + 500GB (5400rpm)

Optical Drive

Blu-ray Combo/ DVD Super Multi DL

Video Camera

2.0M Pixels Auto Focus Webcam

Communication

- 802.11 Draft N wireless connection
- BlueTooth 2.1+EDR
- 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
- 56k Modem

Audio

5.1 channel Altec Lancing speaker (w/ subwoofer),
2nd Generation Dolby™ Home Theater

Interface

- 1 x HDMI
- 1 x E-SATA
- 4 x USB 2.0
- IEEE 1394
- VGA-out (D-Sub)
- Headphone (SPIDIF)
- Mic-in
- 8 in 1 Card Reader
- 1 x Express Card
- 1 x CIR
- RF-in (w/ TV SKU)
- 1 x Modem jack (RJ11)
- 1 x LAN port (RJ45)
No GDDR5 is slightly disappointing. I'm wondering if it will be <$2000.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
K.Jack said:
ColbertCalledIt.gif

No GDDR5 is slightly disappointing. I'm wondering if it will be <$2000.
Under $2,000?
:lol
:lol :lol :lol
I doubt it highly.
Christ, that thing is a BEAST. I doubt GDDR5 is needed since it's fixed at 1080 max.

20090108-d-1.jpg

K.Jack

Hazaro said:
Under $2,000?
:lol
:lol :lol :lol
I doubt it highly.
Christ, that thing is a BEAST. I doubt GDDR5 is needed since it's fixed at 1080 max.
Yeah, yeah I know. I'm just anxious to hear the aftermarket price on one of these 4870s.

The notebook will be cheaper than a Geforce 9800m GTX solution.

Minsc said:
Problem with the 295..... Dual-GPU solution and thus becoming the equiv of the GX2 which was great on paper... but sucked in games.

Single card solutions are great because you're not relying on the SLi or Cross-Fire onboard to try and pump out the graphics.

Now the 4870x2 does a great job... but again for me.... a single slot GPU doing all the work is what I want and in my rig I'm building the 9800GT will most likely be pushed over to the PhysX workhorse or maybe SLi but very doubtful.

Anyways--- still digging on the GT212 info. Need to catch up on my posts on the [H] forums.

Gibbo

Posted this earlier

CPU :Asus P5Q P45 GBE/1394
Intel Quad Core Q9400
HDD :Hitachi 500GB 8/16MB
RAM : PC 8500/1066 Kingston HyperX 1GB x2
Graphics: Asus EAH 4850 512 MB DDR3

Was wondering if I should save some money buy getting a Core 2 Duo instead, and using the extra cash to get a second graphic card? Is this advisable?

Chiggs

Gold Member
iam220 said:
Wow! I haven't seen those yet! Judging by those benches anyone looking to get a i7 920 is better off with a phenom 940. Looks like amd is back in the game.

edit: spoke too soon. After looking at more benchies, not as much bang-for-buck as I initially thought .. but still great value! For those with an am2+ board they should upgrade asap

Yeah, a little disappointing, but at least AMD seems to be getting back on track.

seat

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was anything to look out for when choosing a PSU in terms making sure that it's compatible with your motherboard and case. I'm not very familiar with this stuff so I hope you guys don't mind bearing with me. Any advice is much appreciated.

I have an HP Pavillion d4995t. The motherboard's name is ASUS IPIBL-LA (Berkeley) with specifications here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077641&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3629254

This machine came with a measly 8400 GS, so I've been wanting to upgrade the video card for a while now. I was thinking of upgrading to something in the Geforce 8800 or 9800 series, or an equivalent Radeon card, but my PC only has a 350W PSU. I wanted to make sure that the new PSU I choose is compatible with this machine, or if it's even an issue I should be weary of.

I was thinking of jumping on this PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply. I think it's a pretty good deal at only $25 after rebate, but some people in the SlickDeals thread are saying this PSU isn't very reliable. Should I wait for something else then?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Alright I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up sending this card back, but I got a few more questions before I do. Sorry to keep bugging everyone but I'm really at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong and having to send the card back is just plain annoying :lol

First, the power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182016&Tpk=N82E16817182016

Should it be fine for a 9800GT? It meets all of the requirements and I just bought it along with the card so it's brand new.

Second, can anyone else with a 9800GT open up ATI Tool and see what they get for an average? I get about 700 which seems alright but I can't tell for sure since my games are running like crap :lol

Third, let's say another component, like the CPU, RAM or motherboard is the bottlenecker here...does that justify the completely unplayable framerate in Crysis, Fallout 3 or Far Cry 2 with high settings? I'm not talking about missing a few frames here and there, I mean single digit stuff.

blitz64

Gibbo said:
Posted this earlier

CPU :Asus P5Q P45 GBE/1394
Intel Quad Core Q9400
HDD :Hitachi 500GB 8/16MB
RAM : PC 8500/1066 Kingston HyperX 1GB x2
Graphics: Asus EAH 4850 512 MB DDR3

Was wondering if I should save some money buy getting a Core 2 Duo instead, and using the extra cash to get a second graphic card? Is this advisable?

The prices of the Q9300 and E8400 are $10 difference. So I don't think you are saving much depending on where you live.

Minsc

Gold Member
VictimOfGrief said:
Problem with the 295..... Dual-GPU solution and thus becoming the equiv of the GX2 which was great on paper... but sucked in games.

Single card solutions are great because you're not relying on the SLi or Cross-Fire onboard to try and pump out the graphics.

Now the 4870x2 does a great job... but again for me.... a single slot GPU doing all the work is what I want and in my rig I'm building the 9800GT will most likely be pushed over to the PhysX workhorse or maybe SLi but very doubtful.

Anyways--- still digging on the GT212 info. Need to catch up on my posts on the [H] forums.

Oops, I thought it was a single card, like the 280, should have read it a little more... it all makes sense now. So the GT212 is what I thought the 295 was.

That laptop sounds sick, but are we back to the troublesome two card setup again?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hazaro said:
Yeap.

Try running your manufacturer HDD checker and see if your HDD isn't crapping the bucket.
I doubt it though. Try your card in another machine yet?

Nah, I'm not sure when I'll be able to test them either.

I've actually checked the health of both HDDs and they seem to be fine. I'll try reinstalling XP on my SATA hard drive in case it's my IDE one causing problems, but would a hard drive cause low framerates or would it cause stuttering? And if I'm running an OS and game on my SATA drive with the IDE as a secondary, should the IDE be affecting the game at all then?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ysiadmihi said:
Nah, I'm not sure when I'll be able to test them either.

I've actually checked the health of both HDDs and they seem to be fine. I'll try reinstalling XP on my SATA hard drive in case it's my IDE one causing problems, but would a hard drive cause low framerates or would it cause stuttering? And if I'm running an OS and game on my SATA drive with the IDE as a secondary, should the IDE be affecting the game at all then?
Shouldn't.

Have you reinstalled drivers with driver cleaner? Twice even?
Last thing would be to replace the card :/

Minsc said:
Oops, I thought it was a single card, like the 280, should have read it a little more... it all makes sense now. So the GT212 is what I thought the 295 was.

That laptop sounds sick, but are we back to the troublesome two card setup again?
Yeah the 295 is two cards mashed together w/ separate memory per GPU which is going to cause the card to be.... in a word... gimped.

The GT212 is going to be a 40nm single GPU solution with higher shader counts, DDR5 and lower temps.

It will be the next step towards the GT300 (completely new architecture) which of course is due out in Q2/Q3 of this year.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hazaro said:
Shouldn't.

Have you reinstalled drivers with driver cleaner? Twice even?
Last thing would be to replace the card :/

Yup. I've actually reinstalled and cleaned the drivers three times now :lol

My GPU scores in 3DMark06 are both in the 2ks (most 9800GTs seem to be doing 4-5ks), but my CPU is about 2.5k which seems normal...so it seems to be the card :(

I guess the worst that can happen is I get a replacement and it does the same thing but it's still an upgrade over my 8600GT and will come in handy if I upgrade the CPU/mobo later.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ysiadmihi said:
Yup. I've actually reinstalled and cleaned the drivers three times now :lol

My GPU scores in 3DMark06 are both in the 2ks (most 9800GTs seem to be doing 4-5ks), but my CPU is about 2.5k which seems normal...so it seems to be the card :(

I guess the worst that can happen is I get a replacement and it does the same thing but it's still an upgrade over my 8600GT and will come in handy if I upgrade the CPU/mobo later.
You seem to of covered everything then.

Try another 6 pin connector from the PSU?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hazaro said:
You seem to of covered everything then.

Try another 6 pin connector from the PSU?

My PSU only has one, and this video card didn't come with an extra 6 pin connector like most do :lol

If I RMA this card, will Newegg send me the same model or can I choose from another?

Edit: For completeness - 3DMark06 score is 2508 2.0 score, 2576 3.0 score, 2416 CPU score :(

Ysiadmihi said:
My PSU only has one, and this video card didn't come with an extra 6 pin connector like most do :lol

If I RMA this card, will Newegg send me the same model or can I choose from another?

Edit: For completeness - 3DMark06 score is 2508 2.0 score, 2576 3.0 score, 2416 CPU score :(
They gave me the option to get a refund or replacement before with some bad RAM. Once again, good luck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ysiadmihi said:

Probably same, all the cards are the same anyway, just different stickers and warrantys.

If you don't have an XFX, eVGA, or BFG card then get one of those if possible for their warranties.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Minsc said:
Not at 2540x1600, averages 45 fps (had it wrong before) :)

Anyway, there's AMD Phenom II X4 benches all over the place. No one discussing them or did I miss it earlier? Anandtech seems to be down because of them :lol

Dell's even put the Phenom in their 630 gaming box.
Some of those benches are kind of strange. Why would they pick F.E.A.R to bench a CPU? That is possibly the most GPU bound / CPU agnostic game ever created. Crysis isn't much better, especially at high settings and resolutions. GTAIV is the only game where you might be able to tell the difference between the quads in a gaming setting, and that's only because it's horribly unoptimized. CPUs are getting commoditized, and it's basically reached the point where the only thing that matters is the number of cores.

Bjorn 3D's benches were interesting because they paired the CPUs across two different GPUs (4870 and 4870x2) which clearly demonstrated that you should invest the most in your video card if you want the best performance. Legit's benches were also interesting because they were the only ones that put the Phenom II ahead of the i7. A little bit ironic, doncha think?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SapientWolf said:
Some of those benches are kind of strange. Why would they pick F.E.A.R to bench a CPU? That is possibly the most GPU bound / CPU agnostic game ever created. Crysis isn't much better, especially at high settings and resolutions. GTAIV is the only game where you might be able to tell the difference between the quads in a gaming setting, and that's only because it's horribly unoptimized. CPUs are getting commoditized, and it's basically reached the point where the only thing that matters is the number of cores.

Bjorn 3D's benches were interesting because they paired the CPUs across two different GPUs (4870 and 4870x2) which clearly demonstrated that you should invest the most in your video card if you want the best performance. Legit's benches were also interesting because they were the only ones that put the Phenom II ahead of the i7. A little bit ironic, doncha think?
One reason is that FEAR benches were a staple so the comparisons can stretch back quite aways. That's it I think :lol

dork

Banned
dork said:
i ordered 4 gig more ram cuz it was on sale for my new pc

it looks a little different than my current ram but i ordered the EXACT same kind from before...weird

i have my first 2 in slot 1 and 3, so i put these in 2 and 4. then turned computer on and it went on and off, on and off. so i got scared and turned it off

now i just took it out. what did i do wrong? do i need to move the original ram to 1 and 2, and new to 3 and 4? or what did i do?

anyone? this is pretty important :( as i dont think i have my receipt anyway

Gibbo said:
Depends on what you're using it for. If you're mainly going to use it for games, my understanding is that you'd be better off with a higher-clocked dual core rather than a lower-clocked quad. And since an E8400 should be able to run anything you throw at it these days, you'll notice more of a difference with a better video card.

If you want a machine that's a little more future-proof or if you'll be doing a lot of CPU-intensive tasks, it might be worth it to spring for the quad core, though.

blitz64 said:
The prices of the Q9300 and E8400 are $10 difference. So I don't think you are saving much depending on where you live.
???

The Q9400 is $100+ more on Newegg.

Puck

Banned
That new laptop isn't really a laptop seeing as though it is large, heavy, very hot and will have a battery life of less than an hour so its constantly in the wall socket =/.

rc213

dork said:

Ahh, Gigabyte. I have the EP43-DS3L and had the triple boot issue. Go into the bios and check under Dram Performance Control there is an option called Performance Enhance which was set to Turbo, Once I change it to Standard it booted fine. See if that helps, If you had left it on, After the triple reboots it would post and boot normally.

Also, Have your tried swapping your working set for the new set and see if they boot up?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Puck said:
That new laptop isn't really a laptop seeing as though it is large, heavy, very hot and will have a battery life of less than an hour so its constantly in the wall socket =/.
That's a gaming laptop for you.

Hey guys, i am planning to purchase a new computer, and then later down the line a new monitor. For the time being, i was going to buy an HD4850. My question is, if i purchase a ~24" 1920x1200 resolution screen, would the 4850 be able to handle those kinds of resolutions with high/max settings?

edit. Also, does anyone have any impressions on the BenQ G2400WD? Or if anyone has a monitor recommendation, i would appreciate it.

dork

Banned
rc213 said:
Ahh, Gigabyte. I have the EP43-DS3L and had the triple boot issue. Go into the bios and check under Dram Performance Control there is an option called Performance Enhance which was set to Turbo, Once I change it to Standard it booted fine. See if that helps, If you had left it on, After the triple reboots it would post and boot normally.

Also, Have your tried swapping your working set for the new set and see if they boot up?
ill try the bios thing, wait..so if i put it in again and let it triple reboot it will be ok? I didn't let it finish because i was scared. i dont have to change anything in bios?

FromTheFuture said:
Hey guys, i am planning to purchase a new computer, and then later down the line a new monitor. For the time being, i was going to buy an HD4850. My question is, if i purchase a ~24" 1920x1200 resolution screen, would the 4850 be able to handle those kinds of resolutions with high/max settings?

edit. Also, does anyone have any impressions on the BenQ G2400WD? Or if anyone has a monitor recommendation, i would appreciate it.
I would personally save some money for the 4870 1gb version or a GTX260 216 core. They both are excellent GPU's for that resolution.

K.Jack

Hazaro said:
That's a gaming laptop for you.
There's no such thing as a gaming laptop. In the enthusiast community, there's a big difference between laptops and notebooks. 18 inch monsters are strictly DTRs (desktop replacements).

I just found out that the mobile 4870 retains all 800 stream processors of his desktop brethren. Damn. No confirmation on clocks yet.

rc213

Since this thread is full of Gamers I might as well ask in here. I would like to know which games I should avoid purchasing used because of issues with DRM. So far I have HL2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Bioshock through steam.

Top Bottom