• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

2evthj9.jpg

2d6ws4k.jpg

eapqgg.jpg

28r2uyq.jpg

30vjfci.jpg

2ymvfvl.jpg

ny8gox.jpg

So far so good. Gotta wait now (20 mins or so) before I apply the dark grey to the case. :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Allen said:
Any thoughts? Would it be worth it to add another GTX 260+? As of now the total is $1,681.37 ... pretty good.
You need more than 430w for your PSU to run all that, and with another 260, you'll probably want a minimum of 650w.

dralla

ibuypower.com, good choice to buy a PC? mine is damn near dead, won't even turn on, looks like I have to buy a new one even though I don't really want to upgrade yet :[

Why the dark grey?

Also, have a questions.

Could one not buy a completely overkill power supply to future proof their build from having to upgrade their power supply for a long time?

iam220

dralla said:
ibuypower.com, good choice to buy a PC? mine is damn near dead, won't even turn on, looks like I have to buy a new one even though I don't really want to upgrade yet :[

You probably heard this before, but you should really learn to build your own pc. Your pc isn't dead. Its probably just a single component that failed, if you identify and replace said component you can still use your pc and save yourself lots of monies :)

DeadFalling said:
Why the dark grey?

Also, have a questions.

Could one not buy a completely overkill power supply to future proof their build from having to upgrade their power supply for a long time?
Once I get stuff shoved in..... it'll look like this. :D
hw02.jpg

Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I plan to build a new computer within a few weeks (this will be my first time) but right now i'm trying to cut down on some costs. Here is my current build:

My questions are:
  1. I plan to overclock the CPU. Would it make more sense to get a weaker CPU and then overclock it? I've read up on overclocking the CPU, it doesn't seem hard, so that shouldn't be a problem right?
  2. I don't plan on upgrading for a little while (i am buying monitors and TVs before then). Will the PSU's power be enough for the time being? Would it make more sense to get a stronger PSU so that i don't have to purchase a new one in the future? I don't plan to upgrade for maybe ~1/2 to 1 year, or even more depending on how income works out.
  3. Is there a sort of step-by-step documentation on building your own PC? I've looked around, but if anyone recommends a certain one, i would appreciate it.
  4. And please let me know any way i can cut costs/or if i'm buying bad equipment.
  5. Also, is this RAM better than the G.Skill listed above? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

FromTheFuture said:
Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I plan to build a new computer within a few weeks (this will be my first time) but right now i'm trying to cut down on some costs. Here is my current build:

My questions are:
  1. I plan to overclock the CPU. Would it make more sense to get a weaker CPU and then overclock it? I've read up on overclocking the CPU, it doesn't seem hard, so that shouldn't be a problem right?
  2. I don't plan on upgrading for a little while (i am buying monitors and TVs before then). Will the PSU's power be enough for the time being? Would it make more sense to get a stronger PSU so that i don't have to purchase a new one in the future? I don't plan to upgrade for maybe ~1/2 to 1 year, or even more depending on how income works out.
  3. Is there a sort of step-by-step documentation on building your own PC? I've looked around, but if anyone recommends a certain one, i would appreciate it.
  4. And please let me know any way i can cut costs/or if i'm buying bad equipment.
  5. Also, is this RAM better than the G.Skill listed above? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

Dump the Freezer 7 for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200035

Its a rebranded Akasa 965 which is noticeably beter and a good $17 cheaper. I've got one running in two different OCed rigs and can't fault them.

As you plan to OC I strongly suggest dumping the E8400. I'd then take one of two options, an E5200 or Q6600. Both run very similar clock for clock but the Q6600 is obviously a quad core (and much more expensive and power hungry) and will clock to similar speeds (with the E5200 maybe able to eek out a little more). I say this because after 3ghz (you'll be able to get much more that that though) any Core 2 CPU is more than enough for current games and almost certainly any dual core optimised future game, so you might as well save your cash or have the extra 2 cores spare for future games. The E8xxx series only really makes sense to those who don't ever plan to OC imo.

You could go with an E7300 over the E5200 but as they'll clock quite similarly I really don't see the point as clock for clock, there's nothing more than 2-3% at most in it.

That Corsair PSU is excellent and can actually manage around 600w despite what its advertised like. Considering the rig you posted won't come close to drawing 300w, yes, its more than enough.

Edit: Either RAM will be fine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PSU is solid.
Either RAM is fine, both have great warranties.
Everything else is fine, as said earlier sway the cooler to the Rosewill. I've installed 2 and can vouch for them.

If you don't plan on upgrading in 2-3 years (Since LGA 775 is not going anywhere) get the Quad core and OC it to 3.6Ghz, more than enough to last you a while. The difference for 4.0 and 3.6 is negligible and the boost you can get in some programs will help.

I'd wait until the next refresh of i7 before buying again which is at least a year. That time should have software start using multicore better and all the i7 stuff will be cheaper.

-Double_A

Banned
Anyone able to recommend a decent & cheap upgrade for my current graphics card on a computer? It currently has a PCI All-In-Wonder 9600.

I haven't kept up for a long time, there something I can get cheap that will add a chunk of power?

-Double_A said:
Anyone able to recommend a decent & cheap upgrade for my current graphics card on a computer? It currently has a PCI All-In-Wonder 9600.

I haven't kept up for a long time, there something I can get cheap that will add a chunk of power?
How much are you willing to spend?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-Double_A said:

Replacement AGP card or new mobo/CPU?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Hey guys I need your help

My PSU is (antec sp-500.) What is the highest end video card it has enough power to push? PCI-E that is.

I'm looking into the 9800GT since I have about $130 to buy a new card. I currently have the 6800GT and assume it would be a decent upgrade.

Artofwar420

I got exactly 200 US dollars, what's the best Intel processor for my money.

I was leaning towards a Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz, from Newegg, about $190.

Any other suggestions?

By the way, I'd be upgrading from a Core 2 Duo with a speed of 2.16 GHZ.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Artofwar420 said:

I was leaning towards a Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz, from Newegg, about $190.

Any other suggestions?

Save $200 and overclock your current processor.
If you don't want to do that, buy a E8400.

My PSU is (antec sp-500.) What is the highest end video card it has enough power to push? PCI-E that is.
Any single card. 9800GT is fine, so is a GTX 280 or HD4870.

inner-G

Banned
just got a new video card today, nvidia 9500gt 1GB DDR2.
what are some good games to run on it? I like RPG's and I've played Oblivion.

( I have an AMD dual-core 5400+ and 2GB RAM. )

mr stroke

dralla said:

If your like me(don't want to spend the time to build and doesn't mind spending a little extra money)

I would stay away from anything-ibuypower or cyberpower as there re seller ratings are bad and the customer support sucks(the main reason to buy a pre-built pc)
I would suggest going with Maingear or Dell as you can find a decent price on a pre-build rig that has really good support(at least in my experience)

or

run down to BB or CC and buy a cheapo HP or ACER pre built home pc and just swap out the card with a 4870(probably the cheapest way to go)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
inner-G said:

The 9500GT Isn't a very good card :/
No way it's able to utilize that extra memory either.

Would it be possible to return it and get something a bit better?

Musan

inner-G said:

Fallout 3 would be an obvious choice, but I would also recommend the Witcher Enhnaced Edition, I had a good time playing that.

BTW, just upgraded my cpu and mobo from an AMD 4200+ to a Intel C2d E8400. It's amazing how much faster everything runs.

brain_stew said:
Dump the Freezer 7 for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200035

Its a rebranded Akasa 965 which is noticeably beter and a good $17 cheaper. I've got one running in two different OCed rigs and can't fault them.

As you plan to OC I strongly suggest dumping the E8400. I'd then take one of two options, an E5200 or Q6600. Both run very similar clock for clock but the Q6600 is obviously a quad core (and much more expensive and power hungry) and will clock to similar speeds (with the E5200 maybe able to eek out a little more). I say this because after 3ghz (you'll be able to get much more that that though) any Core 2 CPU is more than enough for current games and almost certainly any dual core optimised future game, so you might as well save your cash or have the extra 2 cores spare for future games. The E8xxx series only really makes sense to those who don't ever plan to OC imo.

You could go with an E7300 over the E5200 but as they'll clock quite similarly I really don't see the point as clock for clock, there's nothing more than 2-3% at most in it.

That Corsair PSU is excellent and can actually manage around 600w despite what its advertised like. Considering the rig you posted won't come close to drawing 300w, yes, its more than enough.

Edit: Either RAM will be fine.

Thanks a lot!

edit. Which do you think i should choose, CPU wise? I'm a beginner with the PC stuff, and when i read up on these things i simply can't make up my mind, what with all the mixed opinions i am reading.

Hazaro said:
PSU is solid.
Either RAM is fine, both have great warranties.
Everything else is fine, as said earlier sway the cooler to the Rosewill. I've installed 2 and can vouch for them.

If you don't plan on upgrading in 2-3 years (Since LGA 775 is not going anywhere) get the Quad core and OC it to 3.6Ghz, more than enough to last you a while. The difference for 4.0 and 3.6 is negligible and the boost you can get in some programs will help.

I'd wait until the next refresh of i7 before buying again which is at least a year. That time should have software start using multicore better and all the i7 stuff will be cheaper.
Unfortunately I checked quad-cores and they seemed a bit expensive for what i was going for. Good to hear resassurance that i'm not digging myself a grave by purchasing this rig when the i7 is coming out, though =P.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FromTheFuture said:
Thanks a lot!

edit. Which do you think i should choose, CPU wise? I'm a beginner with the PC stuff, and when i read up on these things i simply can't make up my mind, what with all the mixed opinions i am reading.

Unfortunately I checked quad-cores and they seemed a bit expensive for what i was going for. Good to hear resassurance that i'm not digging myself a grave by purchasing this rig when the i7 is coming out, though =P.
For only $30 more I'd go with it. A Quad at 3.6 or even 3.2 will last you quite a while.
Gaming performance increases are negligible past 3.0Ghz. Quad could help down the line.

Doubledex said:

get the 4870 instead, performs better http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=1
edit: i can't tell if the GTX 260 you linked if the 216 SP one, but support the competition anyway :)

Doubledex

Banned

Coen

Would a mini-tower hold a core i7, Asus P6T Deluxe, HD4870 set-up with a single HDD? I just don't see the use of 3 external 5.25" and 2 external 3.5" bays. I'd much rather go with a smaller case like the Lian Li PC-A05B but I don't know if it's going to fit/have airflow issues.

vumpler said:
Hey guys I need your help

I'm looking into the 9800GT since I have about $130 to buy a new card. I currently have the 6800GT and assume it would be a decent upgrade.

CPU? RAM?

If you've only got a single core CPU, its pointless upgrading your graphics.

Artofwar420 said:

Any other suggestions?

Buy the $20 cooler I linked earlier and spend a couple of hours reading up on overclocking. Save yourself $170 and have the exact same in game experience.

Coen said:
Would a mini-tower hold a core i7, Asus P6T Deluxe, HD4870 set-up with a single HDD? I just don't see the use of 3 external 5.25" and 2 external 3.5" bays. I'd much rather go with a smaller case like the Lian Li PC-A05B but I don't know if it's going to fit/have airflow issues.
It'll fit Coen but unless you remove the HDD case and mount the HDD up where the 5.25" DVD Burner will go, you're going to have some airflow/temp control issues.

A lot of guys over on the [H] forums like the case but have said the short comings is temp control and in the end space as well.

I'm contemplating on getting the following build:
- ASUS P5Q Pro (P45, 1600 mhz, pci-e 2.0, ddr2, 8 channel, raid)
- ASUS RADEON HD4850 (625 mhz, 512 mb, DDR3, 1986 mhz, 256 bit, 10.1, fan)
- ANTEC Sonata III (black, 500 watt, atx)
- INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400 (3.0 ghz, 1333 mhz, 6 mb, s775, 65 watt, boxed)
- G.SKILL 4GBPQ (4096 mb, 800 mhz, CL5, 1.85 v, non-ecc, unbuffered, kit of 2)​

I skipped a few parts, but anyway... Will these components fit into the case I mentioned? Is this PC flexible enough so I can effortlessy upgrade it in the future (say, a year or two from now)? Is this build also good enough to play the following games at max settings, preferably with a locked framerate between 30 - 60 at 1280 x 1204?

- Company of Heroes
- The Dawn of War games (both the first one and its sequel)
- Starcraft II
- Diablo III
- Supreme Commander
- World in Conflict
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
- Team Fortress 2
- Left 4 Dead
- Trackmania
- The recent Command & Conquer games
- Empire: Total War perhaps​
Thanks.

inner-G

Banned
Musan said:
Fallout 3 would be an obvious choice, but I would also recommend the Witcher Enhnaced Edition, I had a good time playing that.

BTW, just upgraded my cpu and mobo from an AMD 4200+ to a Intel C2d E8400. It's amazing how much faster everything runs.
Fallout 3 actually runs pretty good, 30+ @ 1280 X 1024.

I might return the card though... Do you think Best Buy would let me return it for exchanging up to a better one? I've never tried exchanging PC parts at a store.

inner-G said:
Fallout 3 actually runs pretty good, 30+ @ 1280 X 1024.

I might return the card though... Do you think Best Buy would let me return it for exchanging up to a better one? I've never tried exchanging PC parts at a store.

Its worth a try. The ATI 4670 is a similar price but offers more than two times the performance. If you can stretch to it, the 4830 is absolutely worth our while but you won't be disappointed with a 4670.

inner-G

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its worth a try. The ATI 4670 is a similar price but offers more than two times the performance. If you can stretch to it, the 4830 is absolutely worth our while but you won't be disappointed with a 4670.
Im a graphics card n00b and I like the dual-monitor setup features on nVidias better....

Would a 9800 with 512DDR3 be an improvement?

inner-G said:
Im a graphics card n00b and I like the dual-monitor setup features on nVidias better....

Would a 9800 with 512DDR3 be an improvement?

Yes considerably, but ATI's drivers have very extensive dual monitor support, and the 4830 is a better buy.

bardia

MicVlaD said:
I'm contemplating on getting the following build:
- ASUS P5Q Pro (P45, 1600 mhz, pci-e 2.0, ddr2, 8 channel, raid)
- ASUS RADEON HD4850 (625 mhz, 512 mb, DDR3, 1986 mhz, 256 bit, 10.1, fan)
- ANTEC Sonata III (black, 500 watt, atx)
- INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400 (3.0 ghz, 1333 mhz, 6 mb, s775, 65 watt, boxed)
- G.SKILL 4GBPQ (4096 mb, 800 mhz, CL5, 1.85 v, non-ecc, unbuffered, kit of 2)​

I skipped a few parts, but anyway... Will these components fit into the case I mentioned? Is this PC flexible enough so I can effortlessy upgrade it in the future (say, a year or two from now)? Is this build also good enough to play the following games at max settings, preferably with a locked framerate between 30 - 60 at 1280 x 1204?

- Company of Heroes
- The Dawn of War games (both the first one and its sequel)
- Starcraft II
- Diablo III
- Supreme Commander
- World in Conflict
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
- Team Fortress 2
- Left 4 Dead
- Trackmania
- The recent Command & Conquer games
- Empire: Total War perhaps​
Thanks.

I just built a PC this weekend with the EXACT same parts, except im pretty sure my mobo was the P5QL and my Radeon is HD4830. Either way, everything fits into the case perfectly and the case itself is awesome! The only thing extra you have to do is screw in 2 of the brass screws into the actual case since the case only has 4 initially screwed into it and the Asus mobo needs 6 of the holes screwed into the case.

Also you'll have no problems playing those games, i've been playing those games + fallout 3, Gears of War, and Assasins Creed @ 1680x1050 with max settings perfectly fine :)

Top Bottom