• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

zbarron

Shambles said:
Also depends on what resolution your monitor is running. If you're running a non-standard TV resolution expect some issues with the 605 messing with the video as it goes through the receiver. Still haven't been able to get it working properly with my 1680x1050 and as a result am just running compressed audio over digital coaxial to avoid the massive headaches of trying to get my computer to go through my receiver properly. Also thanks to Windows 7 completely screwing with audio once again, the SP/DIF does not work properly on my sound card.
Man that is really depressing. I don't own a 4800 series Ati card but I was planning on picking one up for my second PC. Is it possible to run the audio through one of the ATI DVI ports and using the other one going straight to your monitor?

Swag

So on the last steps of getting this together, but the power seems to be giving me a problem. I have this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171032

The motherboard has an 8 pin power connector which seems to power the CPU, the power supply doesn't have one that fits into this type of slot. Is there an adapter that I have to purchase in order to accommodate for the Mobo?

It requires a ATX_12V_2x4 pin connector

zbarron

Sebulon3k said:
So on the last steps of getting this together, but the power seems to be giving me a problem. I have this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171032

The motherboard has an 8 pin power connector which seems to power the CPU, the power supply doesn't have one that fits into this type of slot. Is there an adapter that I have to purchase in order to accommodate for the Mobo?

It requires a ATX_12V_2x4 pin connector
According to the picture on Newegg it has it.
17-171-032-10.jpg

Swag

Got everything working :D , not as big of a speed boost as I was expecting from my old computer but it'll do.

Is there a website where I can see recommended temperatures for different processors and graphics cards?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sebulon3k said:
Got everything working :D , not as big of a speed boost as I was expecting from my old computer but it'll do.

Is there a website where I can see recommended temperatures for different processors and graphics cards?
Upgraded to a 4890? What the hell were you running before? :lol
CPU: Sub 60C load
GPU: Sub 80C load

Swag

I think I had an 8800gt 512 in my last system, but it was one of those slimline computers. So it kinda sucked.

I've run into my first technical problem though, Vista just installed a ton of updates last night but now it's stuck in a loop of

"configuring updates 0% - 0%"

then it sits on that screen for about 20 seconds then shuts down and loops into that process again.
No clue what's going on but it was trying to install a pretty big update

Edit: Did some research and apparently i'm stuck in some Vista bug.

I have an E6750 in my machine right now and was look at a Q9550. Is there a big difference in performance if I upgrade? Is it worth spending $200 on a Q9550? Thanks.

sestrugen

Sebulon3k said:
I think I had an 8800gt 512 in my last system, but it was one of those slimline computers. So it kinda sucked.

I've run into my first technical problem though, Vista just installed a ton of updates last night but now it's stuck in a loop of

"configuring updates 0% - 0%"

then it sits on that screen for about 20 seconds then shuts down and loops into that process again.
No clue what's going on but it was trying to install a pretty big update

Edit: Did some research and apparently i'm stuck in some Vista bug.

I have the same problem on one of my computers, annoying as hell. Cannot install sp1 on that computer yet.

JohnsonUT

What is the difference between Windows for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee and the Windows retail version other than the massive price? Do I need a specific license?

3rdman

I need help choosing the right motherboard...I’m currently building an all-in-one PC…one that will double as a gaming/desktop/media server and I'd like to choose a motherboard that will allow me to expand a RAID 5 array dynamically without having to offload my files and reinstall them.

Anyways, I'm looking at this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377...It's got 10 SATA ports.

I was under the impression that Windows would handle the array via software (and allow for dynamic expansion of the array) but Gigabyte tells me that it wouldn't be possible and that the array must be built before installing the OS...For what its worth, I'll be installing Windows 7.

I'd rather spend the money on drives over the course of time otherwise I won't be able to build my machine for awhile...any suggestions?

JohnsonUT said:
What is the difference between Windows for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee and the Windows retail version other than the massive price? Do I need a specific license?

System builders license does not let you uninstall and re-install on multiple PC's. It's only good for the Pc you initially install it on, non-transferable. Full retail version can be installed/uninstalled and transferred to other PC's.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
ahoyhoy said:
Alright, I could use some help with my OCing efforts here. I'm attempting to OC my E8500 up from stock to SOMETHING that gives me a "stable" system as well. Right now I've been tinkering around with the Voltages, following this guide as best I can, and trying to get my Prime95 tests to last more than 10 minutes before giving me an error, but to no avail. My VRAM and VCore's are almost at their maximum levels as recommended by their respective manufacteres (1.31 for the CPU and 1.9 for the RAM) and my NB and SB voltages at are around 1.32-1.36, but I'm still not getting far enough in Prime95 and am noticing stuttering problems in a few games (TF2 for one). My temps are perfectly fine (25-30 C idling and 45-50 C during Prime95 test). What am I doing wrong GAF?

Anyone got any suggestions on this?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ahoyhoy said:
Anyone got any suggestions on this?
Check your voltage during load, often it will be lower than your BIOS setting.

Your RAM might not be doing correctly with 1.9V (2.0V is usually the standard)
and CPU load voltage of 1.30V should be enough for ~3.8Ghz

Run memtest to see if it is the RAM (Make sure it is 1:1)

Can anyone tell me how to enable vsync in a game that doesn't have it in the graphic options? Specifically the Witcher, im hitting absurd framerates in cutscenes etc (sometimes pushing 1000) and the game constantly has a shit load of horizontal banding which I can only assume is screen tearing. Plus im sick of seeing the FPS bouncing around from 40 to 60 to 130 to 80 to 40 etc. I want it locked at 30.

Here is an image showing what I mean; I will link it cos its 600kb.
http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj328/pseudocaesar/Witcher2.png

Edit: Its far more noticable in game running at 1680x1050, than that shitty resized image shows..

Chairhome

pseudocaesar said:
Can anyone tell me how to enable vsync in a game that doesn't have it in the graphic options? Specifically the Witcher, im hitting absurd framerates in cutscenes etc (sometimes pushing 1000) and the game constantly has a shit load of horizontal banding which I can only assume is screen tearing. Plus im sick of seeing the FPS bouncing around from 40 to 60 to 130 to 80 to 40 etc. I want it locked at 30.

Here is an image showing what I mean; I will link it cos its 600kb.
http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj328/pseudocaesar/Witcher2.png

Edit: Its far more noticable in game running at 1680x1050, than that shitty resized image shows..
Use RivaTuner and D3DOverride to force it (triple buffering). D3DOverride is packaged with RivaTuner. Brain_Stew put me onto it after I compained that I had some tearing with another game.

Threi

notag
Quick question (not gaming related)

I got an ASUS m2n32-sli Deluxe mobo and an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ Windsor Core processor at my work for $3.99 (yes, $3.99).

I don't game on PC anymore, but since it was so cheap and my components are getting old (C2D E4300, ASRock 775i65G, 1.5GB DDR1 400MHz, ATI x1650pro AGP) I decided to just do a new(ish) mini build.

I need a new videocard, ram, and power supply (I didn't have a 24pin PSU)

So i got the videocard (I didn't want anything powerful but also not a downgrade in clock speed) which is an ASUS 9600GSO 512MB GDDR3 HDMI Edition.

I changed my power supply to a Cooler Master 460w RS-460-PMSR-A3. Something I believe can power all my components, although to my misfortune the components I got are all known for being power hungry.

RAM I will get on my next paycheck, and that is just simply 4GB DDR2 800Mhz.

My issue is with the CPU cooler. The CPU i got didn't come with one. I have an old socket 754 stock AMD cooler from my old build, which fits due to AMD not changing the clip standard. I am wondering if it is good enough. Keep in mind that I am not going to overclock the CPU in any way, my case has two fans and a CPU vent. Normally I wouldn't care but the 6000+ is a 125w CPU, quite a power hog. Should I just leave it alone or get a better cooler?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Threi said:
Quick question (not gaming related)

I got an ASUS m2n32-sli Deluxe mobo and an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ Windsor Core processor at my work for $3.99 (yes, $3.99).

I don't game on PC anymore, but since it was so cheap and my components are getting old (C2D E4300, ASRock 775i65G, 1.5GB DDR1 400MHz, ATI x1650pro AGP) I decided to just do a new(ish) mini build.

I need a new videocard, ram, and power supply (I didn't have a 24pin PSU)

So i got the videocard (I didn't want anything powerful but also not a downgrade in clock speed) which is an ASUS 9600GSO 512MB GDDR3 HDMI Edition.

I changed my power supply to a Cooler Master 460w RS-460-PMSR-A3. Something I believe can power all my components, although to my misfortune the components I got are all known for being power hungry.

RAM I will get on my next paycheck, and that is just simply 4GB DDR2 800Mhz.

My issue is with the CPU cooler. The CPU i got didn't come with one. I have an old socket 754 stock AMD cooler from my old build, which fits due to AMD not changing the clip standard. I am wondering if it is good enough. Keep in mind that I am not going to overclock the CPU in any way, my case has two fans and a CPU vent. Normally I wouldn't care but the 6000+ is a 125w CPU, quite a power hog. Should I just leave it alone or get a better cooler?
Check the temps?

Xtyle

can someone give me suggestions on these?
are these good matches?

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0443&cm_re=radeon_5870-_-14-150-443-_-Product

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211&cm_re=i7-_-19-115-211-_-Product

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145254

You've got to be pretty insane to pick up an i7 950 in my book. Horribly overpriced, an i7 860 will be faster in the majority of cases and is half the price and draws less power.

The RAM is major overkill as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
brain_stew said:
You've got to be pretty insane to pick up an i7 950 in my book. Horribly overpriced, an i7 860 will be faster in the majority of cases and is half the price and draws less power.
just get a 920 and OC to 4.0. and i say this is a 950 owner (@4.0, coincidentally). :lol

bigben85 said:
I am not insane...just haven't been active in the pc upgrading scene for a while:)

Well you would be if you went ahead with that purchase. What are you using this rig for? Is games the primary focus?

If it is then this combination will deliver damn near identical performance and save you a great deal of money, you're not actually buying any better gaming performance past this point really:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...404&cm_re=asus_lga1156-_-13-131-404-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5_750-_-19-115-215-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0231193&cm_re=4gb_ddr3-_-20-231-193-_-Product

First off, I wanted to say thanks to some of the helpful folks in this thread (brain_stew and firestorm in particular answered a question or two for me) who helped me to get my core i5 machine speced out and built. Assembly went great and the machine is running like a (freakishly silent) charm. The only odd part is that I had to swap the RAM from one set of two channels to the other set of two channels to get it to boot properly, is this a common issue?

I've got it all put together, but the one thing that I'm still missing is the GFX card (I'm currently borrowing a super old one from a friend). I wanted to see the 58XX specs and prices before I made a move. They look great, but I'm pretty sure that for my use (hooked up to a 720p TV or a 1280x1024 monitor) I'd be just fine for a year or two with a 4870 1GB and buying a DX11 card at some later time.

Since I've started to see a few new rebates out there on the 4870s I figured that now is the time to buy. But I'm a little lost in the sea of choices for 4870s as there are tons of cards for my approximate price range all with pretty solid ratings on Newegg. Does anyone have any particular units that they would recommend? I listed out a few in my price range below.

XFX: Stock speeds, $125, free ship

Powercolor: Slightly overclocked, $129, comes with STALKER which I wouldn't mind playing, don't know this brand though

Asus: Stock speeds, $139, brand I actually recognize, free ship

FreezeSSC

Ok here's a question i have, i built my pc and everything has gone smooth with only one quirk. My case came with two usb port in the front which i connected to my motherboard, but they dont work at all???? whenever i connect my usb thumb drive i get nothing and i have to connect it to the back (which is annoying since its under my desk and i have to crawl to get there) any reason why it wouldnt be working?? do i have to activate something in bios or something?

So does anyone know if it's a big gap from an e6750 c2d to a q9550 c2q processor? Is there a good site for looking at benchmarks? I can find them but they use different tests to test the processors so I'm not sure how they stack up head to head.

TheFightingFish said:
First off, I wanted to say thanks to some of the helpful folks in this thread (brain_stew and firestorm in particular answered a question or two for me) who helped me to get my core i5 machine speced out and built. Assembly went great and the machine is running like a (freakishly silent) charm. The only odd part is that I had to swap the RAM from one set of two channels to the other set of two channels to get it to boot properly, is this a common issue?

I've got it all put together, but the one thing that I'm still missing is the GFX card (I'm currently borrowing a super old one from a friend). I wanted to see the 58XX specs and prices before I made a move. They look great, but I'm pretty sure that for my use (hooked up to a 720p TV or a 1280x1024 monitor) I'd be just fine for a year or two with a 4870 1GB and buying a DX11 card at some later time.

Since I've started to see a few new rebates out there on the 4870s I figured that now is the time to buy. But I'm a little lost in the sea of choices for 4870s as there are tons of cards for my approximate price range all with pretty solid ratings on Newegg. Does anyone have any particular units that they would recommend? I listed out a few in my price range below.

XFX: Stock speeds, $125, free ship

Powercolor: Slightly overclocked, $129, comes with STALKER which I wouldn't mind playing, don't know this brand though

Asus: Stock speeds, $139, brand I actually recognize, free ship

I always like to get xfx or evga when choosing a video card just for the simple fact that they both give lifetime warranties and I believe xfx gives double lifetime warranties if you decide to sell it someone else. They are usually about the same price or cheaper so even though it shouldn't die, it's still nice to have that piece of mind imo.
FreezeSSC said:
Ok here's a question i have, i built my pc and everything has gone smooth with only one quirk. My case came with two usb port in the front which i connected to my motherboard, but they dont work at all???? whenever i connect my usb thumb drive i get nothing and i have to connect it to the back (which is annoying since its under my desk and i have to crawl to get there) any reason why it wouldnt be working?? do i have to activate something in bios or something?

To be safe, you double checked everything and made sure you have it plugged in correctly?

Threi said:
I will just get the Arctic Cooler 64 Pro (~$25) just to be safe.

Thanks for the help anyways :/

Sorry, I didn't see your post before but if you have the old style without the fan like they have now then I'd get one to be on the safe side if you don't want to think about it. The other way is to build it and run stress tests on the cpu to see if it overheats just like you would if you were overclocking a processor.

Chairhome

Okay, I have a noob question (again).
I'm giving my brother my old MSI NX8600GT graphics card to replace his 6800GS (This is a bit of an upgrade, right?). We put the 8600GT in and his PC won't start. It gets power for half a second then shuts down. His 6800GS did have a 6-pin connector that needed to be plugged in, but the 8600GT doesn't have a socket for it. I'm guessing its a power problem, but his PSU is a 500 or 550W, so I think that's sufficient. Thanks for any help in advance!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Chairhome said:
Okay, I have a noob question (again).
I'm giving my brother my old MSI NX8600GT graphics card to replace his 6800GS (This is a bit of an upgrade, right?). We put the 8600GT in and his PC won't start. It gets power for half a second then shuts down. His 6800GS did have a 6-pin connector that needed to be plugged in, but the 8600GT doesn't have a socket for it. I'm guessing its a power problem, but his PSU is a 500 or 550W, so I think that's sufficient. Thanks for any help in advance!
It could be a mobo incompatibility if it's an older computer. That's happened to me before. I would check for a newer 4 pin power connection on the GPU as well.

Pachinko

So some of you techheads in here have given me suggestions and advice in the past but I have yet another ponderous question-

Just a few minutes ago I was browsing through the 5870 review at toms hardware, alot of the technical stuff I skimmed through (not gonna lie, how many shaders per asspixel can be rendered in a bump mapped testicular cancerobulator means nothing to me) but I paid some attention to their test system configuration and which games they used as well as the settings.

Well right now, I have a 1680X1050 monitor and the only real reason I've wanted to upgrade for .. oh going on a year now is to make crysis playable. I'm not such a framerate snob that a single player fps has to be locked at 60 (for something like crysis , locked at 30 would be nice) but how is it that even this brand new hardware still can't actually achieve 60 ?

Was crysis that far ahead of it's time ? poorly optimized ? I mean I plan to spend around 1500 canadian on a new pc, whenever that time comes and I was thinking , given that it's been over 2 years since crysis came out that spending that much at getting 60 fps in it most of the time wasn't going to be much of an issue... but it seems I was wrong. The setup toms hardware uses seems to be closer to a 2000 dollar pc (american) and the best even that high end system managed with the fastest gpu available today was 57 frames per second ... and at that it only managed that framerate when crossfire was enabled making that pc more like 2500 dollars. 1X5870 pulled 34 fps which is playable in my books but still... 2000 dollars and the best we can do is 34 fps in a 2 year old game ?

I mean I don't know , am I expecting too much? is the difference between very high and high detail so large that I could managed a huge increase by just toggling that ?

Just seems kind of odd to me that crysis is still the one game that nothing can run smooth as butter ( a feat I'd identify as achieving ... say above 60fps average at 1920X1080 with maxed out everything aside from AA).

So tell me guys, is it not worth trying to make crysis look great and be playable? is it a fools game that's perhaps over a year of hardware updates away ?

Pachinko said:
Was crysis that far ahead of it's time ? poorly optimized ?
People will tell you both, depending on who you ask.

From what I understand of it (having not played the game), CryEngine 2 supports a crazy amount of expensive rendering techniques compared to most engines, so as you start layering all those effects together, it creates a huge workload for the GPU. You can run Crysis at 60 fps without too much difficulty if you turn down some of those effects, but reviewers always like to stress their hardware, so they tend to benchmark the game at very high settings.

People like to dwell on the fact that it's a two year old game, but that's kind of irrelevant IMO. An engine that does that much is going to tax graphics hardware no matter when it was made. Toy Story was made in 1995, but I would be surprised if any modern GPU could render it pixel-for-pixel in anywhere near real-time.

If you don't fall into the common PC gamer's trap of wanting to run everything at max settings, Crysis will run great and still look better than most anything out there. If you must have max settings, then yeah, it's a bit of a fool's game for the moment. If money is no object, you can get close, and the 5870X2 will probably get most of the way there, but I think you're doing the game a bit of a disservice by suggesting that it won't look great unless it's running at max settings.

Pachinko

rohlfinator said:
I think you're doing the game a bit of a disservice by suggesting that it won't look great unless it's running at max settings.

I did read your whole post, just didn't want to quote it all-

so yeah, I vaguely recall it still looked pretty damn nice on high detail because I believe some of the highest settings were disabled for me (old pc , directx 9) but I also know that you can tinker with many individual sliders and such.

I just .. basically I don't want to go spend 1500 on a new pc in the next 6 months or whenever and get all pumped to finally finish my crysis playthrough only to find that it runs at 20 fps instead of 5 fps :p

Ah well, if I wind up with a new rig and it runs better it'd be nice, if not there are other games.

:D I won a copy of Windows 7 Signature Edition from the House Party promotion that I'll be using for my new setup. So now the only thing I really need is to order a better graphics card. I have an HD 4650 that came with the system but, I think Tiger Direct thought you could crossfire it with the built in HD 4200 but you can't. That only works with version 3xxx cards so I'll probably pick up an HD 4770.

Who has the best deal on an HD 4770 right now?
Software packages, cooling, etc?

I'll probably sell the HD 4650 for $35.00 on ebay then order a 4770 and 16GB of ram to complete the system

fresquito

I don't know my PSU, but since I bought it last year, i guess it's around 600.

As for the resolution, my monitor rarely offers me anything above 1280x1024

Threi

notag
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sorry, I didn't see your post before but if you have the old style without the fan like they have now then I'd get one to be on the safe side if you don't want to think about it. The other way is to build it and run stress tests on the cpu to see if it overheats just like you would if you were overclocking a processor.
No it has a fan, it is the old Athlon 64 heatsink/fan combo.

It has no heatpipes, which i think are on the stock x2 120w processors.

fresquito said:
I don't know my PSU, but since I bought it last year, i guess it's around 600.

As for the resolution, my monitor rarely offers me anything above 1280x1024

Something like a 4850/4770 should see you fine.

You really ought to be overclocking that CPU mind.

adg1034

Lately, I've been having a rather annoying computer problem. You see, every so often (and by every so often, I mean really fucking often), my monitor will just cut to black, claiming "No signal on DVI1", meaning it's no longer receiving any video output from my graphics card. Now, sometimes, this just seems to happen by itself, but other times, it happens at the very moment that I accidentally bump my rig (physically) or drop something on the floor or do something that might jostle my computer in some way. And the other thing is that I have yet to determine whether any other normal computer activity takes place during one of these blackouts (i.e. if Windows continues to run as normal while the video output is borked). Actually, now that I think about it, all sound output is cut off when this happens, too, so that's something.

So, my best guess is that there's a faulty wire in there somewhere, likely in the PSU (in the 24-pin cable that connects to the motherboard, maybe?), but it could just as easily be something in the motherboard itself, and that's something I really don't want to have to pay for right now. Has anyone else dealt with something like this before? Veteran wisdom would be mucho appreciado.

Top Bottom