• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Masta_Killah said:
Not really. It was my first time overclocking(and building a pc), so I was using online guides/forums. I left the voltage on auto according to a guide I was using. Would that be the reason why I can't oc it pass a certain speed? Is the cpu fucked, or is it still salvageable?

That's just about the worst advice any OCing guide could give you! :lol

You should be able to get a lot more out of that chip, I suggest heading to www.overclock.net for some more help. Although you could try out these settings:

VID: 1.4v
Multi: 9x
FSB: 333mhz
FSB:RAM ratio: (1:1, may be labelled 2.0)
C1: Off
EIST: Off
PCIe frequency: 100mhz
RAM timings: 5-5-5-15

If it boots stability test in OCCT, its got a built in temp monitor as well, don't want them above 70C really.

If its not stable with them settings, try upping your FSB and MCH (memory controller) voltage by one notch each.

If that doesn't work increase the voltage to 1.425v, then try 1.45v etc. stop at 1.5v, at that point try for a lower OC.

Once you've got it stable you can work on getting the voltage down, OCing your RAM, and tightening your RAM timings.

Woodsy

Banned
Blasphemous post coming to the elite PC crowd (really, just looking for a little help here):

I'm going to pick up one of the new iMacs, probably the 21.5". Is the graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory) good enough to play some Left 4 Dead and the upcoming Starcraft II and Diablo 3 via bootcamp?

I would think it would be, but have no misconceptions that it would run as well as on a fully spec'd out PC.

Woodsy said:
Blasphemous post coming to the elite PC crowd (really, just looking for a little help here):

I'm going to pick up one of the new iMacs, probably the 21.5". Is the graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory) good enough to play some Left 4 Dead and the upcoming Starcraft II and Diablo 3 via bootcamp?

I would think it would be, but have no misconceptions that it would run as well as on a fully spec'd out PC.

The 4670 is actually a pretty decent GPU, it'll usually net you noticably better than console performance, my main concern would be the 256MB of VRAM, that just doesn't really cut it these days and might prove an issue. Not using much AA + highest textures might get you over the line though, I'm not sure. Its a pretty shitty cost cutting measure on Apple's part, many professionals could really do with the extra VRAM as well, so I'm sure its not just gamers that move pisses off.

If the VRAM isn't an issue all those games should play fine, though you won't be running max settings in Starcraft 2 ofcourse.

Since it has a 1080p screen, just set your modern games to render at 720p and try out both GPU and panel based scaling, both should look pretty decent. 1080p screens usually deal with 720p quite well.

Woodsy said:

Not at all, I use mac's as well. Great platform imo.

From what I know about the new release of iMacs, you can get a 4850 512. Not the best thing in the world for gaming by any means but it'll handle those two games fine, probably on medium/high as well (at least for L4D).

I don't know if thats just the 27" incher or the 21.5 as well, but if you can upgrade you should probably do it. iMac displays are high resolution which means more texture memory, and 256mb is stretching the limits. I imagine you'll still be able to play them but probably not at native resolution without a serious framerate hit.

Edit: Nope, the 21.5 iMac is 4670 only, bummer.

Well the two good things I'd mainly say are:

1) Basically every game has a texture size option, its a quick and easy way to get around the 256MB limitation, not ideal but it should work.

2) 1080p monitors pretty much uniformly scale 720p really well, and if your's doesn't you can let the GPU handle the scaling and that absolutely will. I'm sure you've played plenty 720p console games and been happy with the resolution so this shouldn't really be a major issue.

Apart from that, the 4670 has got a surprising amount of grunt, check out these benchmarks to see what its capable of, bear in mind thos tests are with the 512MB version and Apple's solution may be clocked slightly lower, but a simple switch like setting textures to medium may net you the same performance:

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=617&Itemid=27&limitstart=7

In Episode 2 you should be able to manage 60fps just fine even with the AA and AF cranked, for instance.

hl2ep2-1280aa.png

Woodsy

Banned
brain_stew said:
The 4670 is actually a pretty decent GPU, it'll usually net you noticably better than console performance, my main concern would be the 256MB of VRAM, that just doesn't really cut it these days and might prove an issue. Not using much AA + highest textures might get you over the line though, I'm not sure. Its a pretty shitty cost cutting measure on Apple's part, many professionals could really do with the extra VRAM as well, so I'm sure its not just gamers that move pisses off.

If the VRAM isn't an issue all those games should play fine, though you won't be running max settings in Starcraft 2 ofcourse.

Since it has a 1080p screen, just set your modern games to render at 720p and try out both GPU and panel based scaling, both should look pretty decent. 1080p screens usually deal with 720p quite well.

Thanks - yeah I'd go for the 27" with the 4850 512MB, but I seriously can't justify the cost considering I only play the odd PC game here and there and don't use my Mac for anything other than typical internet/photos/movies (i.e. "dad" stuff).

brain_stew said:
Well the two good things I'd mainly say are:

1) Basically every game has a texture size option, its a quick and easy way to get around the 256MB limitation, not ideal but it should work.

2) 1080p monitors pretty much uniformly scale 720p really well, and if your's doesn't you can let the GPU handle the scaling and that absolutely will. I'm sure you've played plenty 720p console games and been happy with the resolution so this shouldn't really be a major issue.

Apart from that, the 4670 has got a surprising amount of grunt, check out these benchmarks to see what its capable of, bear in mind thos tests are with the 512MB version and Apple's solution may be clocked slightly lower, but a simple switch like setting textures to medium may net you the same performance:

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=617&Itemid=27&limitstart=7

In Episode 2 you should be able to manage 60fps just fine even with the AA and AF cranked, for instance.

hl2ep2-1280aa.png

Yeah but thats nowhere near an iMacs native res and 256mb vram is no joke when it comes to a bottleneck.

Gexecuter said:
quick question: are the AMD Athlon II X2 250 better than the Pentium Dual Core E5300?

Yes, by a decent margin. You might want to look into the Athlon ii range though, you'll sacrfifce a little single/dual threaded performance (though still ahve enough for modern games) but save a little cash and get a free core thrown in.

TheHeretic said:
Yeah but thats nowhere near an iMacs native res and 256mb vram is no joke when it comes to a bottleneck.

He'd never be playing at native resoulution though, its going to be 720p all the way which will still look fine, and as long as he doesn't select the highest quality textures, he should be fine in most gmaes. He'll absolutely get 60fps in Ep 2 at 720p, the only thing he may have to sacrifice is the texture setting,

So I am trying to upgrade my HPm800 desktop. Its just one of those basice hp pavillions they sell everywhere. I had to basically rip out the slot where they have a special slide in hp hard drive so I could fit a 1 tb samsung I just bought.

Its been years since i built a computer, but i quickly learned that sata is the way to hook up hard drives. Only problem was I only had two cords in my comp, one to a previous hard drive and one to a cd drive. so i switched the cd drive sata cable to the new hard drive. I also connected the newer power cord thats right next to the sata cable. I turn on my computer and it doesnt detect the new HD at all??? on the instructinos it says if its a slave, to not do anything with the pins. So im not sure whats goin on? any thoughts?

Woodsy

Banned
Well, just grabbed a 27" iMac (base model) and it's gorgeous. As far as bootcamp, anyone see a reason to go with Windows 7 or should I be OK with my XP install disc? Just wondering if anyone has heard if any of the bigger upcoming games (L4D2, Starcraft II, Diablo 3) will have issues running on XP.

Minsc

Gold Member
Woodsy said:
Well, just grabbed a 27" iMac (base model) and it's gorgeous. As far as bootcamp, anyone see a reason to go with Windows 7 or should I be OK with my XP install disc? Just wondering if anyone has heard if any of the bigger upcoming games (L4D2, Starcraft II, Diablo 3) will have issues running on XP.

All those games will run on XP fine, though don't most Mac people hate XP's look to death? They'd run just as fine on Windows 7, but it probably doesn't matter either way.

Actually, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 will run on Mac OS X, so you almost don't need to bother :lol

markot

Banned
>_<

My i7 920 is not oc'd. But it idles at almost 50 degrees, and when I ran prime 95 it got to the mid 80's.....

What should it be at for an i7?

I only have the stock cooler....

markot said:
>_<

My i7 920 is not oc'd. But it idles at almost 50 degrees, and when I ran prime 95 it got to the mid 80's.....

What should it be at for an i7?

I only have the stock cooler....

Did you mess up installing it? That's high even with the stock...

markot

Banned
I think I did >_< I think I screwed up with the thermal paste by moving it and it kinda didnt apply properly...

I think ill get a new cooler though.

Any good cheap ones?

Also quiet. The stock one is pretty loud when I play ze games...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
markot said:
I think I did >_< I think I screwed up with the thermal paste by moving it and it kinda didnt apply properly...

I think ill get a new cooler though.

Any good cheap ones?

Also quiet. The stock one is pretty loud when I play ze games...
I would not be playing games on it if it's loading into the high 70's.

I'd use tooth paste and reseat the HS. :D

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to make a new thread for this I'm just hoping someone here knows what it is.

I was playing TF2 and Windows crashed back to desktop with this error.

Code:
Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
&#8206;01/&#8206;11/&#8206;2009 01:42

Status
Solution available

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	LiveKernelEvent
OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID:	2057

Extra information about the problem
BCCode:	117
BCP1:	FFFFFA8006F844E0
BCP2:	FFFFF88004975220
BCP3:	0000000000000000
BCP4:	0000000000000000
OS Version:	6_1_7600
Service Pack:	0_0
Product:	768_1
Bucket ID:	X64_0x117_DxgKdxFailed_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information:	07cc1e2c-083f-45db-abf1-0edb9a8ac407

It was something to do with my graphics card. I'm not so good with hardware and you all seem to know what you're on about :D

Should I be worried? Windows says it found a solution and fixed it and my computer continues to work but it's happened twice now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
D4Danger said:
I don't want to make a new thread for this I'm just hoping someone here knows what it is.

Not reading into the error, but update your drivers. TF2 used to blue screen my computer, minimize and default to 800x600 16 bit color, and just plain old crash to desktop before.

Now it doesn't!

Chairhome

Okay, planning on finally pulling the trigger on a new CPU and mobo. I was told my PSU might need to be upgraded. Current one is a RAIDMAX that I've been told should be replaced. This is what I'm planning on getting:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

Is there any reason I should get a different motherboard? Also, I just saw this CPU, not a black edition, but I think its comparable and the same price, also has less power draw. Also its AM3 instead of the AM2+ I was planning on getting above.
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

Any suggestions welcome, I'm planning on buying this weekend. Thanks!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
markot said:
Toothpaste >_<?
Yes toothpaste.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=445828
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Mix Vaseline in for longevity depending on when you decide to pick up new paste. (So don't rely on it for more than a few days)
If it helps I would do it :lol (Even if it might not be the most sane thing to do). But I certainly wouldn't be gaming or loading your CPU right now.

*Oh yeah and the fluoride might do bad things do the coatings on your IHS or HS? Dunno.

IceIpor

Chairhome said:
Okay, planning on finally pulling the trigger on a new CPU and mobo. I was told my PSU might need to be upgraded. Current one is a RAIDMAX that I've been told should be replaced. This is what I'm planning on getting:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

Is there any reason I should get a different motherboard? Also, I just saw this CPU, not a black edition, but I think its comparable and the same price, also has less power draw. Also its AM3 instead of the AM2+ I was planning on getting above.
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

Any suggestions welcome, I'm planning on buying this weekend. Thanks!

The AM2+ model you listed is an old model. It was one of the first Phenom IIs to be released. By almost all accounts, the 945 95W is superior to it. It's one of the latest releases, faster, has better forward and backwards compatibility and requires less energy.

That motherboard seems fine. The only reason why you should get a different motherboard is if you're planning on buying DDR3 RAM. Since AM2+ boards are DDR2 only. AM3 boards are DDR3.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why is it so hard to take out your board? It should only be about 6 screws...
It's a pain in the ass.

Have to be careful and disconnect everything, I remove the GPU too.
If you have access to the back of the motherboard you can open the back panel.

So brain stew, since you said that my e8400 is poop in the l4d2 thread, and it's kinda looking like it is, would you recommend me waiting for a price drop on the core i5s, or upgrade to a better lga 775 chip? Would a Q9550 get rid of my cpu bottleneck for long enough to make it a worthwhile purchase?

Hazaro said:
It's a pain in the ass.

Have to be careful and disconnect everything, I remove the GPU too.
If you have access to the back of the motherboard you can open the back panel.

Dunno, only took a couple minutes and didn't really bother me when I was putting on my heatsink.

Edit: Either way, if it's such a problem why not try the original heatsink again? I've never heard them get that loud and part of the reason it was, was probably because the thing was getting so hot it wanted to have it on full blast all the time.

D4Danger said:

Code:
Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
&#8206;01/&#8206;11/&#8206;2009 01:42

Status
Solution available

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	LiveKernelEvent
OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID:	2057

Extra information about the problem
BCCode:	117
BCP1:	FFFFFA8006F844E0
BCP2:	FFFFF88004975220
BCP3:	0000000000000000
BCP4:	0000000000000000
OS Version:	6_1_7600
Service Pack:	0_0
Product:	768_1
Bucket ID:	X64_0x117_DxgKdxFailed_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information:	07cc1e2c-083f-45db-abf1-0edb9a8ac407

It was something to do with my graphics card. I'm not so good with hardware and you all seem to know what you're on about :D

Should I be worried? Windows says it found a solution and fixed it and my computer continues to work but it's happened twice now.

This used to happen a lot with my 4850. I think it was when it was overheating. I upgraded the drivers and it seemed to fix it. It still happens, but very very rarely. Maybe once a month... it also happened on my laptop recently.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
honeymustardn said:
This used to happen a lot with my 4850. I think it was when it was overheating. I upgraded the drivers and it seemed to fix it. It still happens, but very very rarely. Maybe once a month... it also happened on my laptop recently.

Ok, thanks. I have the latest drivers from Nvidia and it's never done anything like this before.

I'm going to chalk it up to Windows 7 growing pains and wait for a new driver.

I might look into some more case fans if it's a heating issue.

Pachimari

Alright, I bought my PC 1 year ago for the purpose of work with websites, programming and coding. Now I need to upgrade it so it does maximum in games as I'm using my laptop for work now. I am going to buy the 3D Vision and Samsung monitor next week and I need a computer that can play all games at maximum with a Nvidia graphics card and a system that can run Crysis on a 22" monitor very fine. Here is my current specifications:

- Intel Core 2 QuadQ9300 2.5 GHz
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro P
- DDR3 1066 MHz 1024 MB PC3-8500
- Asus P5E3
- Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint SataII/3
- Inno3D GeForce 9600GT I-Chill
- Asus DVD Burner 20X Sata Black
- Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower
- Northq 500Watt Fanless ODB PSU
- Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
- Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2200 PCIe

What do I need to upgrade?

Manp

TouchMyBox said:
So brain stew, since you said that my e8400 is poop in the l4d2 thread, and it's kinda looking like it is, would you recommend me waiting for a price drop on the core i5s, or upgrade to a better lga 775 chip? Would a Q9550 get rid of my cpu bottleneck for long enough to make it a worthwhile purchase?

an e8400 is still a good cpu imho... with a q9550 you're going to get even less performance if the software isn't designed to support more that 2 physical cores since the 9550 is clocked lower than the 8400

:)

Anastacio said:
Alright, I bought my PC 1 year ago for the purpose of work with websites, programming and coding. Now I need to upgrade it so it does maximum in games as I'm using my laptop for work now. I am going to buy the 3D Vision and Samsung monitor next week and I need a computer that can play all games at maximum with a Nvidia graphics card and a system that can run Crysis on a 22" monitor very fine. Here is my current specifications:

- Intel Core 2 QuadQ9300 2.5 GHz
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro P
- DDR3 1066 MHz 1024 MB PC3-8500
- Asus P5E3
- Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint SataII/3
- Inno3D GeForce 9600GT I-Chill
- Asus DVD Burner 20X Sata Black
- Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower
- Northq 500Watt Fanless ODB PSU
- Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
- Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2200 PCIe

What do I need to upgrade?

Well, you definitely want to upgrade your ram to more than 1GB and get a better video card. I guess a gt260 and overclock but you may not get the Crysis performance you want depending on what performance you're aiming for. The nvidia cards are kind of bloated in price right now compared to their ati counterparts though.

Darkman M

I asked this question over in the Dragon age thread and i am looking for opinions.

t i would like to know if getting a HD 4890 over a HD 4870 worth the extra cash?

I currently have an

Core duo E6600
4GB DDR2 ram
8800gt

Im just looking to upgrade my card a bit for dragon age thanks.

Hitmeneer

New upgraded student PC for a bit of everything:

new parts:
* AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
* Gigabyte moederbord GA-MA790XT-UD3P
* 2x2 GB RAM
* Scythe Mugen 2
* Samsung 1TB HDD
* Antec Solo case

Taking from my old rig:
* Corsair HX-520
* GeForce 8800 GT 512 mb ram with accelero cooler.
* Creative X-Fi Audio

Anything I forgot? Or take into consideration?

Blackface

Banned
Darkman M said:
I asked this question over in the Dragon age thread and i am looking for opinions.

t i would like to know if getting a HD 4890 over a HD 4870 worth the extra cash?

I currently have an

Core duo E6600
4GB DDR2 ram
8800gt

Im just looking to upgrade my card a bit for dragon age thanks.

It's worth the extra money if you game above 1680X1050. Otherwise it's not. But if you can find a 4890 on sale go for it.

Your 8800GT should be able to play Dragonage fine.

Fatalah

I'm building my own PC for the first time ever. I've assembled the parts, what do you guys think? Any tips?

• MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX
  • Intel Core i7 860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
  • OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
  • SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
  • COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW

I'm building for PC gaming and professional photo editing.

Darkman M said:
Thanks fellas, i pc game quite a bit now and days, and i play on a 52 inch 1080p set so i aim to play at 1080p res.

It definitely help then if you start going into higher resolutions and if you game consistently and aren't looking to just run this game. The next best card is the 5850 but that's around $290ish.

Helmholtz

Fatalah said:
I'm building my own PC for the first time ever. I've assembled the parts, what do you guys think? Any tips?

• MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX
  • Intel Core i7 860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
  • OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
  • SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
  • COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW

I'm building for PC gaming and professional photo editing.
I'm no expert, but that looks like a very good PC build. Good luck :)

Darkman M

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It definitely help then if you start going into higher resolutions and if you game consistently and aren't looking to just run this game. The next best card is the 5850 but that's around $290ish.

Thans man im planing on building a new rig in the next 4-6 months or so, so i just wanted to get a card in the $200 range for now to play Dragon Age, Oblvion and a few others.

Bestbuy has the 4890 for $199 and the 4870 for $149 and i have a Bestbuy credit account.

Darkman M said:
Thans man im planing on building a new rig in the next 4-6 months or so, so i just wanted to get a card in the $200 range for now to play Dragon Age, Oblvion and a few others.

Bestbuy has the 4890 for $199 and the 4870 for $149 and i have a Bestbuy credit account.

Hmm, personally I'd hold off then or go for a bigger card like a 5850 or something. If you're going to build a new rig I'm assuming you'd want to add something more in terms of video card anyhow. I'd either hold off and see what cards there are in 6 months or spend a little extra and get a better 5850.

Edit: Also, if you're worried about performance, it shouldn't be too bad but may be somewhat stressful at 1080p potentially, wait the two days and try it out and see how it plays. I think buying a 4890 now when you're building in 6 months is a waste of money. If it's only going to be 6 months I think you can squeeze that out of a 8800GT most likely.

Top Bottom