• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

JRW

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No one is saying that he wouldn't get an improvement it's that it's bottlenecked enough that it's not worth the money he would be spending on it. If he wants to replace the MB, cpu, gpu, etc. why not get something worthwhile then spending money on little upgrades that will show it's age a lot quicker? Saving money he could have a good build instead of an ok build.

In my case I need to upgrade everything, so I started with the videocard for now. once I buy a new mobo/cpu/memory ill be set for awhile.

Darkman M

Lostconfused said:
Actually yeah you should definitely hold off on buying a new video card. Because right now some games will be CPU limited, in certain games you wont see a performance increase until you replace the E6600 as well.

On that note i was looking around online and decided to OC my cpu so it now runs at 3.1 ghz im still gonna see how my 8880gt runs dragon age at 1080p. Hopefully a solid 30fps if so im good with it.

Swag

Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd just ask this here seeing as how it's relevant. I'm having problems with sound on my computer, if I unplug an audio device while my computer's on and plug in something else it'll stop my computer from playing all sounds.

I.E I unplug my logitech g35 and plug my speakers into the audio jack, I'll get no sound coming out despite Windows picking up the device and showing that it is playing sound in the Volume Mixer.

2wnbrkx.jpg

It'll be showing me that, but I hear nothing at all. All the cords are plugged into the correct places and I have the correct device selected in the Sound Device switcher. Computer Restarts don't seem to be working either.

Animal

Banned
Firestorm said:
With NCIX remember these things:

1. Sales start on Wednesday and you can usually get one or two items cheaper than usual with the sale
2. Use www.pricecanada.com, www.shopbot.ca, and www.pricebat.ca to compare prices on your parts. If it's cheaper somewhere else, click "Start Price Match" on the checkout screen and put in the value + url to the cheaper price.
3. $3 shipping coupon is over tonight and it's 103009HSC

$3 shipping seems to be around every other week or so. They sometimes have $10 gift card for free shipping. Last week they had thermal paste for $8.99 that gave free shipping for the entire order.

So I just did an identical build on NCIX and it was almost 300$ more expensive than newegg canada. I tried reducing some components only to find them also cheaper on newegg. One or two items on sale is not going to help them either.

The only thing they have over newegg is that everything i want is in stock and ready for immediate shipment.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Mkay, so I ordered a Phenom II X4 940 to replace my Athlon X2 7450. I've got the stock fan/cooler on my current CPU, do I have to take out my mobo to put on the new CPU fan socket.. gadget.. thingamajig that comes with the X4, or does the fan that comes with the X4 fit on the current fan socket thingie?

Firestorm

Animal said:
So I just did an identical build on NCIX and it was almost 300$ more expensive than newegg canada. I tried reducing some components only to find them also cheaper on newegg. One or two items on sale is not going to help them either.

The only thing they have over newegg is that everything i want is in stock and ready for immediate shipment.
That's odd. Go ahead that. I know the Antec 300 is $53.99, Corsair 750TX is $89.99 after MIR, and WD 640GB is $65.99 (now $73.99) though which is all cheaper.

You are also using the Price Match function I hope? A lot of NCIX's prices are high, but they price match any Canadian competitor.

Edit: Also, any reason you're using a $300 motherboard? Do you plan to SLI or Crossfire in the future?

Combichristoffersen said:
Mkay, so I ordered a Phenom II X4 940 to replace my Athlon X2 7450. I've got the stock fan/cooler on my current CPU, do I have to take out my mobo to put on the new CPU fan socket.. gadget.. thingamajig that comes with the X4, or does the fan that comes with the X4 fit on the current fan socket thingie?

Umm...... I'm assuming you're just talking about the stock cooler? As far as I know they should be the same. You only need to take out the mobo on aftermarket coolers since they don't have the pins that push into the mobo, it screws into a plate you adhere to the bottom.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Umm...... I'm assuming you're just talking about the stock cooler? As far as I know they should be the same. You only need to take out the mobo on aftermarket coolers since they don't have the pins that push into the mobo, it screws into a plate you adhere to the bottom.

Yeah, I meant the stock cooler (I need to brush up on my English computer terminology :lol ). So, as both are stock AMD CPU coolers, I shouldn't have to take out the mobo? Got it. Thanks for the help! :)

Animal

Banned
Firestorm said:
That's odd. Go ahead that. I know the Antec 300 is $53.99, Corsair 750TX is $89.99 after MIR, and WD 640GB is $65.99 (now $73.99) though which is all cheaper.

You are also using the Price Match function I hope? A lot of NCIX's prices are high, but they price match any Canadian competitor.

Edit: Also, any reason you're using a $300 motherboard? Do you plan to SLI or Crossfire in the future?

oops i forgot the price match part :lol

Back to NCIX I go!

I also updated the specs of my build a little...i'm going with an antec p183.

Ya i want to be able to do full two card SLI/crossfire (both at 16x) and have spare slots for sound cards and stuff. I also want high quality components and good customer service from manufacturer. I will be doing a mild overclock and I want things to be rock solid for a good little while. I'm willing to drop the cash for it.

My up-to-date build is the following:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998691

Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Total Price of build stands at 1400$ canadian @ newegg.ca .

Firestorm

Animal said:
I must admit that I could do a bit more research regarding CPU heatsinks. But man is that thing ugly!:lol

BTW if NCIX successfully price matches all my things, we have a winner! :)
If you're going the P183 route, you could also look into this combo:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....50-P183&manufacture=Bundle Deals&promoid=1215

If you aren't a student or anything and can't get another discount, Antec products like the case you're getting qualify you for $89.99 Windows 7 Home Premium on NCIX.

You can make changes to your order even if you already placed it by calling or submitting a ticket before they ship.

Animal

Banned
Firestorm said:
If you're going the P183 route, you could also look into this combo:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....50-P183&manufacture=Bundle Deals&promoid=1215

If you aren't a student or anything and can't get another discount, Antec products like the case you're getting qualify you for $89.99 Windows 7 Home Premium on NCIX.

You can make changes to your order even if you already placed it by calling or submitting a ticket before they ship.

I would of pulled the trigger on the combo but it ended on october 30th :(

Chris R

Damnit, seems like no store can keep the 5770 in stock. Was going to buy tonight from Amazon (figured when I bought it this weekend didn't matter as it wouldn't ship until late Monday anyways), but when I go to try and buy, out of stock :( :( :(

Will just have to wait for Amazon to get back in stock unless it will take them a month :<

Animal

Banned
Firestorm said:
Nope. still works... Click the link and add to cart.

Done! Thanks so much your help Firestorm! I really appreciate it!

EDIT: It's not giving me the bundle price of 219.99 for the case and PSU. The Windows deal worked though.

Minsc

Gold Member
rhfb said:
Damnit, seems like no store can keep the 5770 in stock. Was going to buy tonight from Amazon (figured when I bought it this weekend didn't matter as it wouldn't ship until late Monday anyways), but when I go to try and buy, out of stock :( :( :(

Will just have to wait for Amazon to get back in stock unless it will take them a month :<

Damn, Dell strikes again! :fury!!!

ATI's 5-series are like the new Wii, I hope they ramp their shipments up so they actually can be in stock for longer than a few minutes a week.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
rhfb said:

There are some 5770s in stock at Newegg. The 5850 is rarer than a unicorn's horn.

Chris R

Archie said:
There are some 5770s in stock at Newegg. The 5850 is rarer than a unicorn's horn.
Not buying from newegg due to the 25$ shipping :lol Card isn't for me, but in part a gift for my brother, so he can wait, unless like I said, the card isn't back in stock by the end of the month.

Firestorm

Animal said:
Awesome! I was clicking on "More Details" on the Windows 7 banner on the bundle page and it only linked the original price!:lol

What other sorts of money saving wizardry you hiding?
Take a screenshot of your shopping cart and let's see how it looks? =P The coupon code for free shipping is entered at the top right by the way. It ends in 4 hours.

And this isn't saving money, but if you don't want to put the PC together yourself, NCIX offers an assembly + warranty service for $50. You just add all the parts to the cart, add the Assembly option, and they'll put it together for you (including heatsink and installing OS if included, just make a note for heatsink in checkout just in case). They then ship it + all the boxes and stuff to you. They have pretty good wire management.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=7842

I did it for my PC:
120t843.jpg

Animal

Banned
Firestorm said:
Take a screenshot of your shopping cart and let's see how it looks? =P The coupon code for free shipping is entered at the top right by the way. It ends in 4 hours.

And this isn't saving money, but if you don't want to put the PC together yourself, NCIX offers an assembly + warranty service for $50. You just add all the parts to the cart, add the Assembly option, and they'll put it together for you (including heatsink and installing OS if included, just make a note for heatsink in checkout just in case). They then ship it + all the boxes and stuff to you. They have pretty good wire management.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=7842

I did it for my PC:
120t843.jpg

Wow I didn't think they would do such a good job! I was kinda looking forward to putting it all together myself but I just got really lazy :p

I have a slight problem at the moment, the motherboard I wanted just went out of stock and I'm currently trying to find a good replacement.

I had it price matched at 299.99 from newegg.ca :(

Uncle AJ

Two months ago, I bought a Dell Inspiron 537 off Dell Outlet. Current Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.7 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4350
4 GB RAM

Pretty good, until Borderlands came around, which won't run at an acceptable framerate without turning all settings to low/off and running windowed at 800x600. :/

So off a recommendation from another GAFer, I bought this Radeon HD 5750 off Newegg.

But the bloody thing won't fit! Not "won't fit" as in the case is too big, I mean the pins on the card don't match up with the PC-I Express slots on my motherboard. The card's pins are just a little too wide.

So I'll return the 5750, but now I'm scared to search for another one! Before I go aimlessly wandering the net for a new card in the hopes of randomly selecting one that actually fits, I need to know where I went wrong the first time. Is there any indication of which cards are compatible with which mobos beyond both of them listing "PC-I Express?"

Firestorm

Animal said:
Wow I didn't think they would do such a good job! I was kinda looking forward to putting it all together myself but I just got really lazy :p

I have a slight problem at the moment, the motherboard I wanted just went out of stock and I'm currently trying to find a good replacement.

I had it price matched at 299.99 from newegg.ca :(
You could get a comparable board from another manufacturer. I love my Gigabyte board. There's one around the price range you're looking at:

Gigabyte EX58-UD5
http://www.ncix.com/products/?&sku=34543
http://www.onhop.ca/catalog/product/10392252

Has a well kept guide on InsanelyMac if you ever feel like putting on another HDD and running OSX on it too.

Edit: Damn, yes the case is heavy (Case+PSU = 39.99lbs). If you're not getting it assembled by them, split it into two orders?

Animal

Banned
Firestorm said:
You could get a comparable board from another manufacturer. I love my Gigabyte board. There's one around the price range you're looking at:

Gigabyte EX58-UD5
http://www.ncix.com/products/?&sku=34543
http://www.onhop.ca/catalog/product/10392252

Has a well kept guide on InsanelyMac if you ever feel like putting on another HDD and running OSX on it too.

Edit: Damn, yes the case is heavy (Case+PSU = 39.99lbs). If you're not getting it assembled by them, split it into two orders?

I'm currently looking at the ASUS P6TD Deluxe. It's a bit of an increase in price over my original choice but it looks like a solid full-featured board.

I thought of that but will they check if the same user/credit-card used the special twice?

Animal

Banned
Firestorm said:
I have no idea if they check.

I just found out they do. Oh well. Not a big loss.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the build! I just hope they aren't sloppy with the thermal compound.

Firestorm

TofuEater said:
Run up some games, does your GTX275 whine like a bitch?
Don't think so. I think the HDDs and case fans are the loudest things in my system. I usually have headphones on when I play games though.

My current motherboard seems to be failing and I'm looking for a 775 Micro ATX replacement. The new mobo will be home to an E4500 and possibly an E8400 in the near future. Mandatory features that I'm looking for include:

- eSATA
- DVI and/or HDMI
- 1333 bus
- Supports 1066 for memory
- 4 memory slots with at least 8GB
- In the neighborhood of $100

Optical/Coaxial in/out would be great but it's not an absolute must.

I know Best Buy isn't exactly the best kind of source for such matters but they have one board that met a lot of my criteria (but falls short on memory and eSATA).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel&#...775)/9486219.p?skuId=9486219&id=1218112692042

9486219_ra.jpg

9486219cv1a.jpg

As for the CPU, I'm looking at getting an E8400, but I haven't ruled out going quad core. The thing is, would it make sense to get something along the lines of a Q9550/9650 at this point or would it be better to hold onto something like an E8400 (maybe Q8400?) for now and then move onto an i5/i7 sometime next year or in 2011? Not sure if spending ~$300, give or take, on a 775 socket is such a good idea at this point. This system would see constant multi-tasking with high definition media playback, image editing, compression, extraction, 3 multi tabbed browsers open at once, possible video editing in the near future and various other simultaneous tasks. I may also want to do some gaming as well. Keep in mind, I still don't know if I plan on over-clocking, though a 3.4-3.6GHz or higher E8400 may keep me happy until I move to an i7 down the line.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Got a question for anyone knowledgeable with laptops.

I recently bought this notebook for about $400 and am pretty pleased with it except for the terrible game performance. I knew it wasn't going to be too hot and I really didn't buy it for games, but the fact that it barely runs SF4 on the lowest settings is pretty bothersome.

Anyway, I saw this one and am considering getting a refund and grabbing it. The HD 3200 supposedly isn't very hot, but I was playing on a laptop earlier tonight with one and it seemed to be running games very well. At least, a hell of a lot better than a 4500M :lol

Is there something I'm missing that explains why the 2nd one is only $50 more?

Sebulon3k said:
Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd just ask this here seeing as how it's relevant. I'm having problems with sound on my computer, if I unplug an audio device while my computer's on and plug in something else it'll stop my computer from playing all sounds.

It'll be showing me that, but I hear nothing at all. All the cords are plugged into the correct places and I have the correct device selected in the Sound Device switcher. Computer Restarts don't seem to be working either.

1. Presuming this is a desktop, are you plugging into front panel audio or rear?
2. Have you verified the G35 working elsewhere?
3. Isn't the G35 a USB headset...?

Ysiadmihi said:
Is there something I'm missing that explains why the 2nd one is only $50 more?

Not easily, but it's a matter of loadout and manufacturer.

Acer is prone to put out cheaper goods on the low end, plus it's an Athlon X2 QL-65. The Lenovo is (probably) a better build with the T4300 and looks like it may have a better panel, but it's using onboard graphics. It's also using DDR3 which pretty much means its a newer laptop.

So basically, the Lenovo is a newer unit meant for business or casual use, while the Acer is a do-everything older unit. You're clearly better off with the Acer for gaming, particularly with it having another gig of RAM, the bigger HD, and the HD3200M, even if it ends up not being the greatest build quality (which honestly can be hard to tell, the Lenovo line doesn't quite have the reputation of the Thinkpads).

Mo the Hawk said:
Two months ago, I bought a Dell Inspiron 537 off Dell Outlet. Current Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.7 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4350
4 GB RAM

Pretty good, until Borderlands came around, which won't run at an acceptable framerate without turning all settings to low/off and running windowed at 800x600. :/

So off a recommendation from another GAFer, I bought this Radeon HD 5750 off Newegg.

But the bloody thing won't fit! Not "won't fit" as in the case is too big, I mean the pins on the card don't match up with the PC-I Express slots on my motherboard. The card's pins are just a little too wide.

So I'll return the 5750, but now I'm scared to search for another one! Before I go aimlessly wandering the net for a new card in the hopes of randomly selecting one that actually fits, I need to know where I went wrong the first time. Is there any indication of which cards are compatible with which mobos beyond both of them listing "PC-I Express?"

PCI-E is PCI-E. Are you sure it's a PCI-E slot?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Don't think they make Socket 775 with AGP slots. (Plus there's a 4350 in it already)

It should fit, there's no reason it shouldn't...

Hitmeneer

Hitmeneer said:
New upgraded student PC for a bit of everything:

new parts:
* AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
* Gigabyte moederbord GA-MA790XT-UD3P
* 2x2 GB RAM
* Scythe Mugen 2
* Samsung 1TB HDD
* Antec Solo case

Taking from my old rig:
* Corsair HX-520
* GeForce 8800 GT 512 mb ram with accelero cooler.
* Creative X-Fi Audio

Anything I forgot? Or take into consideration?

Shameless bump.

KillerAJD

Alright, so, I plan on upgrading my monitor in the next few weeks. I've been looking at THIS ASUS monitor, because the price is right, it's 1080p (so I can finally use my PS3 lol) and it looks decent. Does anybody have that monitor, and do you like it? All the reviews look good, so that's nice. Is there anything else that's larger/cheaper that you can recommend? (I'd really like a 23 inch monitor, but I can't really go higher price wise). Thanks for the help!

Hazaro said:
Don't think they make Socket 775 with AGP slots. (Plus there's a 4350 in it already)

It should fit, there's no reason it shouldn't...

I didn't think so either but I can't understand how the pins wouldn't fit.

Mo the Hawk, can you take a picture of the slot at least that you're trying to fit it into? I can't see how it wouldn't fit, it's a standard size.

Uncle AJ

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Yep - the mobo even has "PCI Express" in bold white letters written on it.

I'll take some pics of the card and the mobo when I get home today.

Manp

Firestorm said:
The Antec 300 doesn't have anywhere to really put those. I'm happy with it. They used electrical tape + zip ties to keep the wires under control.

never use electrical tape or rubber bands on wires inside a pc... heat is going to turn them into a mess.
the rubber bands will just break, and the glue on the electrical tape will melt and turn to useless in a week or so.

you can definitely do better with cable management in that pc. of course if you're not willing to put any effort in it (which i can understand) that will do fine :D

:)

Firestorm said:
The Antec 300 doesn't have anywhere to really put those. I'm happy with it. They used electrical tape + zip ties to keep the wires under control.

Plus I just noticed your PSU is modular. I was wondering how you had so few wires. :lol I'm definitely going modular next time.

Uncle AJ

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

Now that I'm thinking more clearly, the pin connectors probably do line up with the slots just fine. I just can't get the card in because:

- The slots on the mobo have the smaller segment on the right side
- The card's pins have the smaller segment on the left side

And as you can see from that mess of jagged metal to the left of my mobo, I cut that part of the case out by force just to make room. I thought I could get away with installing the card with the monitor connectors inside the case, but then I realized that the big metal hunk holding the monitor connectors extends downwards too far for the card's pins to ever fully sink into the slots anyway. Yeah - I'm a dumbass.

So I guess I need a card whose monitor connectors are next to the larger segment of its pin connectors. Do such cards exist, or is my mobo just ass-backwards?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Will you still get the benefits of using an SSD if you install your games to a separate HDD? The prices on the lower capacity SSDs are coming down to sane levels and I'm thinking about using an SSD for the OS and a larger HDD for storage.

Mo the Hawk said:
Now that I'm thinking more clearly, the pin connectors probably do line up with the slots just fine. I just can't get the card in because:

- The slots on the mobo have the smaller segment on the right side
- The card's pins have the smaller segment on the left side

And as you can see from that mess of jagged metal to the left of my mobo, I cut that part of the case out by force just to make room. I thought I could get away with installing the card with the monitor connectors inside the case, but then I realized that the big metal hunk holding the monitor connectors extends downwards too far for the card's pins to ever fully sink into the slots anyway. Yeah - I'm a dumbass.

So I guess I need a card whose monitor connectors are next to the larger segment of its pin connectors. Do such cards exist, or is my mobo just ass-backwards?

Those are regular PCI slots, the PCI-express slot is the small one right above it. But it's only a 1x speed slot, not meant for graphics cards. Where was the original card plugged in? Sorry to say, but I think you are boned as far as upgrading to a new card on that mobo.

Edit: This pic might help clarify:

pci-express-slot.jpg

Top Bottom