• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
pseudocaesar said:
When I upgrade to Win 7 can I back up my game saves and then copy them to the new install? (Im running XP atm). Otherwise I will have to finish The Witcher now and not bother playing any games until I get Win 7.

Backing up the savegames should work just fine AFAIK.

nubbe

All the Gigabyte P55A boards I have seen so far have had Lotes.
But Foxconn is no big deal unless you are doing insane overclocks.

SleazyC

haldalish said:
i know this is a stupid question but can you overdo a power supply?

I bought a antec 750w and im using a 5770 and a PH II X4 955
No harm in buying a bigger power supply than needed. I tend to do this all the time as a sort of future-proofing.

birdchili

nubbe said:
All the Gigabyte P55A boards I have seen so far have had Lotes.
But Foxconn is no big deal unless you are doing insane overclocks.
bad chip contact (which seems to be the problem here) is an issue. i certainly wanted to avoid it, personally - the cpu should be firmly in the socket touching *all* of the contacts.

and underneath the lotes brackets on the p55a mobos is a foxconn socket. there's quite a bit of anecdotal/photo evidence of this online already (and unless lotes is labeling their sockets "foxconn", my p55a is like this). some people seem to think that there has been some sort of revision to the socket, however. i don't have any other boards to compare.

-Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
-SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

this is my build, will i be able to run games like assassins creed 2 and Battlefield BC2 @ 1680 by 1050 at about 45 fps? or am i gonna have to crossfire right away?

kmfdmpig

caliblue15 said:
Was thinking of getting this bad boy, and wanted to hear your guys thoughts on the system.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...218123847575&skuId=9555723&st=e9270&cp=1&lp=1

It looks like a solid system overall, but the video card will be a bottleneck for gaming.

If you want a prebuilt then these two would be better for gaming:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113101 (cheaper as well, but temp. out of stock).

and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113103 (a bit more expensive, but likely quite a bit faster overall, particularly with the GPU).

Firestorm

haldalish said:
-Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
-SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

this is my build, will i be able to run games like assassins creed 2 and Battlefield BC2 @ 1680 by 1050 at about 45 fps? or am i gonna have to crossfire right away?
Why are you going to crossfire right away instead of just grabbing a 5850?

Dash

Fugu said:
It seems a little overpriced for the specs, to be honest with you.

What other option do I have? Going through this entire thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234723 make me realize what a mess the whole foxconn issue is on most P55 boards. Even without OCing, apparently the faulty connection can eventually cause your mobo and processor to fail over an extended period. And apparently only DFI and EVGA are exclusively using lotes sockets (not just the for the clamp like the Gigabyte P55a).

So, I'm not sure what the fuck is wrong with me, but I got the idea in my head that I would order parts to build a athlon II x3 based machine with a radeon 4770, I'm gonna try unlock the l3 cache and/or the 4th core. So this whole thing is gonna end up setting me back $450 canadian after rebates (tax and shipping included). I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with the machine (maybe i'll sell it to a friend) but if I can get some good performance out of this thing, I'll be astonished at how affordable gaming-capable pc hardware has become.

Druz

Dash said:
What other option do I have? Going through this entire thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234723 make me realize what a mess the whole foxconn issue is on most P55 boards. Even without OCing, apparently the faulty connection can eventually cause your mobo and processor to fail over an extended period. And apparently only DFI and EVGA are exclusively using lotes sockets (not just the for the clamp like the Gigabyte P55a).

I have an i7 860.. does this mean I should expect to lose this setup soon from shitty socket making?

Firestorm

Druz said:
Don't be so sure... unless he wants to pay more for higher quality parts
For $200 less he can get a video card that costs $200 more than what's in there + higher quality parts. Never buy pre-built PCs because they always skimp on the video card which is the most important part of a gaming PC.

If you don't want to put together your own PC, get it at NCIX / NCIXUS.

Fredescu

pseudocaesar said:
When I upgrade to Win 7 can I back up my game saves and then copy them to the new install? (Im running XP atm). Otherwise I will have to finish The Witcher now and not bother playing any games until I get Win 7.
Bear in mind that there are so many different locations that save games can be stored. If it's just one game you're worried about, it's easy enough. If you have a bunch of saves you want to keep, you might want to go hunting around in the all the usual locations before you format and start again. I usually keep my old docs and program files folders around instead of getting rid of them.

kmfdmpig

Dash said:

The problems were manifesting on extreme overclocks. I think that if you have a mild overclock or run at stock you probably don't have much to worry about. Also I'd imagine that the switch to the Lotes clamp was done for a reason. Perhaps the clamp keeps the CPU more closely connected across the entire surface?

I wouldn't take a few isolated cases of problems as a sign that the majority of 1156 boards out there will fail.

Dash

Druz said:
I have an i7 860.. does this mean I should expect to lose this setup soon from shitty socket making?

I believe the issue is only with 1156 motherboards, which is why I'm thinking of taking that EVGA overpriced board, or just get an i7, even though I don't really see the benefit of it for gaming over the i5. Correct me if I'm wrong on either points though.

kmfdmpig said:
The problems were manifesting on extreme overclocks. I think that if you have a mild overclock or run at stock you probably don't have much to worry about. Also I'd imagine that the switch to the Lotes clamp was done for a reason. Perhaps the clamp keeps the CPU more closely connected across the entire surface?

I wouldn't take a few isolated cases of problems as a sign that the majority of 1156 boards out there will fail.

Still, who wants to buy a faulty board with loose connections? I'm hoping to OC to around 3.8-4 ghz, which might be enough to cause a problem in a few months.

You're right about the clamp though. It might just solve the problem. There's just too much conflicting information to be sure though. I also heard that the new foxconn sockets fixed the issue, but without a credible citation unfortunately.

Druz

Dash said:
I believe the issue is only with 1136 motherboards, which is why I'm thinking of taking that EVGA overpriced board, or just get an i7, even though I don't really see the benefit of it for gaming over the i5. Correct me if I'm wrong on either points though.

1136 or 1156? the i5 and the i7 860 use the same socket 1156 I thought?

birdchili

it's hard to know how dangerous this is in the long term. naturally, no one is admitting that anything is at-all wrong.

you might be able to get a bit of clarity on the whole thing if you can wait a bit.

Dash

Druz said:
1136 or 1156? the i5 and the i7 860 use the same socket 1156 I thought?

Sorry I meant 1156. The i7 uses the 1366, but I believe it can also use the 1156? I'm pretty sure the 1366 boards are fine.

What is so frustrating about the whole thing is that no one is admitting anything, and it's hard to know how much damage this problem can do in the long term in mild OC's, or even regular use. Then there's this whole random factor, in that the EVGA board I linked to supposedly has a chance of coming with a foxconn socket, even though the majority of the units of that model use lotes.

If I do go i7/1366, is there a particular mobo you guys would recommend?

Druz

Dash said:
Sorry I meant 1156. The i7 uses the 1366, but I believe it can also use the 1156? I'm pretty sure the 1366 boards are fine.

What is so frustrating about the whole thing is that no one is admitting anything, and it's hard to know how much damage this problem can do in the long term in mild OC's, or even regular use. Then there's this whole random factor, in that the EVGA board I linked to supposedly has a chance of coming with a foxconn socket, even though the majority of the units of that model use lotes.

If I do go i7/1366, is there a particular mobo you guys would recommend?

Just to clarify

1156 = i5 and i7 860

1366 = i7 920 and up

Hi guys, I'm hoping to build my own PC this year. I've never done it before so I'm pretty new to this stuff. I've been reading guides on the best parts for me to purchase, but I still need some help if anyone's willing:

AMD AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
^combo ftw^
XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 or XFX HD-577A-ZHFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Maybe get a combo of a motherboard with this?
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

That's all I have right now. I have a feeling it's not going to go down with my parents, so I might need to make some changes. Adding it all up it's already over $600 and I don't even have all of the parts yet. I kind of want to stay in the $500-$600 range. I still need a motherboard of course (how good is this? or this one) but I'm not sure which to choose. I also need an optical drive (found this one but I might want to get a blu-ray drive anyways), hard drive, heatsink, case fan(?). Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and headset I'll be reusing but replacing in the future, but I don't want to spend the extra cash right now (I'm trying to get the best deals). Am I forgetting something? Please, enlighten me, because I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

kmfdmpig

Feel the Swift said:
Hi guys, I'm hoping to build my own PC this year. I've never done it before so I'm pretty new to this stuff. I've been reading guides on the best parts for me to purchase, but I still need some help if anyone's willing:

AMD AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W
^combo ftw^
XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 or XFX HD-577A-ZHFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Maybe get a combo of a motherboard with this?

That's all I have right now. I have a feeling it's not going to go down with my parents, so I might need to make some changes. Adding it all up it's already over $600 and I don't even have all of the parts yet. I kind of want to stay in the $500-$600 range. I still need a motherboard of course (how good is this? or this one) but I'm not sure which to choose. I also need an optical drive (found this one but I might want to get a blu-ray drive anyways), hard drive, heatsink, case fan(?). Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and headset I'll be reusing but replacing in the future, but I don't want to spend the extra cash right now (I'm trying to get the best deals). Am I forgetting something? Please, enlighten me, because I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

You could save on the PSU. With what you describe you can get by with a lot less than 750 watts.

Firestorm

Feel the Swift said:

^combo ftw^

Save $30 + $25 MIR by switching to this PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

Are you counting rebates in your $600 budget? If not, maybe switch to a cheaper case like the Antec 300.

Chris_C

I'm going to be using my new PC mainly for gaming and photoshop work, I was wondering whether it would be better to go with a Core i5-750 or an AMD Phenom IIX4 965.

Also, what sort of PSU wattage should I be looking for if I'm aiming for 3HDD and a GTX 260 SLI setup?

Lastly, if I'm upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, does the upgrade keep all my files and saves and just upgrade the OS, or does it wipe and reformat everything?

Chris_C said:
I'm going to be using my new PC mainly for gaming and photoshop work, I was wondering whether it would be better to go with a Core i5-750 or an AMD Phenom IIX4 965.

Also, what sort of PSU wattage should I be looking for if I'm aiming for 3HDD and a GTX 260 SLI setup?

Lastly, if I'm upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, does the upgrade keep all my files and saves and just upgrade the OS, or does it wipe and reformat everything?

When installing windows 7, you can upgrade which keeps your files and apps and settings, but it's always strongly recommended that you do a clean install of the operating system.

Chris_C said:

I'd go with a core i5 if photoshop/adobe apps are part of the equation. And yes upgrading from vista to win 7 should keep all your files, etc. If you choose a clean install it will make a folder called windows.old that has all the old stuff in it. As for a power supply, I would say at least 650 watt or above if you're going SLI...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Can I get some advice with this? I'm trying to stay around 350-400 dollars. I'm not really going for anything high-end or brand new. I just need a computer for WoW.

Any pieces I can do better? Is the price right? Are they all compatible? I'm still relatively new at this, any sort of help or comments would greatly help. Kinda on the fence about even doing this at all since I'm scared of screwing it up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ballpark system configuration, prices are just quick lookarounds which will probably change by spring when I get it. I'm looking for high end but not HIGH end. I'll probably do some gaming and stuff but I'm not overly concerned about it. Right now I'm on an ancient P4 1.8 system and I'm just tired of putting up with it.

ASUS M4A78T-E mobo $130
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE $190
ATI Radeon HD 5850 $280
4GB DDR3 $150 (?)
Standard hard drive $50
Standard optical drive $20
Rosewill R5604-TBK or similar case $60
Antec 500W, 80 PLUS Certified power supply $70
20" LCD Widescreen $150

Total $1100

Help me tweak it? Where am I going wrong? I'm going AMD/ATI for sure, so just know that.

Firestorm

RAM should be around $100 max (ugh what bullshit, should be like $60 for that much RAM).

Is there a reason you're going AMD instead of getting an i5 for the same price?

Firestorm

LAUGHTREY said:
Can I get some advice with this? I'm trying to stay around 350-400 dollars. I'm not really going for anything high-end or brand new. I just need a computer for WoW.

Any pieces I can do better? Is the price right? Are they all compatible? I'm still relatively new at this, any sort of help or comments would greatly help. Kinda on the fence about even doing this at all since I'm scared of screwing it up.
didn't have time to do a clean lookthrough, but you should grab this PSU + Case combo instead seeing as yours is sold out and I dunno about the PSU on it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024&Tpk=sonata iii

A friend and I were about to jump on this for about $428 including tax:
dvrrqv.jpg

It seems like a good deal and anything is an upgrade at this point (my laptop is almost 7 years old). We'd plan on upping the power supply later and adding a gfx card but then the case is micro atx so will that make things a lot more difficult?

Polk

EphemeralDream said:
A friend and I were about to jump on this for about $428 including tax:
dvrrqv.jpg

It seems like a good deal and anything is an upgrade at this point (my laptop is almost 7 years old). We'd plan on upping the power supply later and adding a gfx card but then the case is micro atx so will that make things a lot more difficult?
mATX board could be a problem if upgrading (ie. 2-slot video cards could not fit).
The problem with such PCs is you have no idea what components are used. It might be cheap, but who knows what HDD is installed there (probably some old OEM drive)
And that integrated GPU is weak. Too weak for anything more then casual games/video/web (ok. Torchlight and WoW should work good enough).

Polk said:
mATX board could be a problem if upgrading (ie. 2-slot video cards could not fit).
The problem with such PCs is you have no idea what components are used. It might be cheap, but who knows what HDD is installed there (probably some old OEM drive)
And that integrated GPU is weak. Too weak for anything more then casual games/video/web (ok. Torchlight and WoW should work good enough).
Yeah I'm not going for the gfx card just yet. They have some cards that you can throw in but I'd imagine I'd get a better deal online. I figure I can at least play Orange Box which I have lying around even if it's on like low-med settings. The goal here was to spend less than $500 but get something I could work with in the future since I kept dreaming about building a PC but never got off the ground with it.

Firestorm

After you add the video card and upgrade the PSU to handle your new video card, you'll be looking at around what brain_stew's $550 PC would cost. If you can get the OS through your university or something, it would definitely be a better route to build your own.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Does anyone know of anyway to monitor unlocked cores on Phenom 2's? my 4th core works fine but i never leave it on because of having the default heatsink it came with.

I know it disables the monitoring stuff on the processor when doing it.

Top Bottom