• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Minsc

Gold Member
NightHawk17 said:
is one better than the other

You're probably wasting your money. Really, use MSE for a while first. I've owned Kasperspy for a year or two, and also Bitdefender (both of which I could never use again, I hate how much they rescan the same files over and over, which is annoying when you have around 1TB of data; Bitdefender was particularly awful with that). I wouldn't go back to either, I was looking in to NOD myself, and installed the demo and hated it, then tried MSE and was glad I didn't pay for NOD.

At least download the free month trial if you must use NOD, and save yourself $5 by not paying for the first month.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gaf, I need your opinion on something. I'm trying to figure out if i should upgrade or not.

Current rig is
CPU: C2D E7200
GPU: ATi 4850
Ram: 4GB
Monitor: 24" - So everything is played at 1920x1200

The rig i have in my head is.
CPU: i7 860
GPU: 5850
Ram: 4GB - Maybe 8GB for funs.
Monitor: Same 24" i have right now.

There are of course small additions here and there that i pretty much know what i would get if i decided to upgrade. The question of course is should i?

Now i am still tossing up between the 750 and 860. The only reason i've decided to go for the 860 at this point in time is because it's essentially the "middle" in terms of performance. I've never been one to buy the BEST or WORST thing, it's always been about a balance with good price/performance ratio. Gaming is all i really do on it, No multimedia sort of crap, So yes the HT from the 860 *could* be pointless but it's only AUD$100 more.

So do i upgrade and build myself an entire new box or is it somewhat pointless? Do i want another 6 months and re-evalue my PC box then? I need input because i'm a pussy when it comes to spending money :lol

pestul

I would wait and re-evaluate. I think you would be disappointed with that upgrade (for the money you`d be spending anyway). Now, I went from an Athlon XP 2700+ to a Core i7 920.. that was crazy.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So I took advantage of the 12.2% cash back over at Tiger Direct yesterday. Logged on today to see if they had shipped my order and I get:

Partial Backorder - Some of these items are currently on backorder, and will ship as soon as we receive stock on them. ( We are currently doing a physical inventory. Your order may temporarily show on backorder. Please allow 48 hours for your status to update. )

They're backordered on a Phenom II X4 955. It sure would have been nice if the website had said that, you know, before I ordered. C'mon man.

FightTest said:
@ the two 5770s, price difference seems to be attributed to both the pack-in game and the (presumably) better cooling system.

Ahh, thanks, forgot about the whole "keep stuff from overheating" part, sounds important.

I'm definitely going for the cheaper one, since I don't really have plans to OC, and thus, will not need too much cooling. I think I'll have a draft shopping cart shown by tomorrow, and then everyone could please tell me the parts don't even fit together :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
pestul said:
I would wait and re-evaluate. I think you would be disappointed with that upgrade (for the money you`d be spending anyway). Now, I went from an Athlon XP 2700+ to a Core i7 920.. that was crazy.

I did go from a similar setup to what i'm at now, and yea that was a big upgrade.

Having said that though i do have an SSD waiting to be used as an OS drive which would give me the "crazy" factor in an upgrade. The problem being i don't have enough sata cables so i would need a new psu (or a converter i guess). If i wanted W7 then i would have to buy retail and that's crazy expensive so if i went the oem route i would be bound to my current setup making it useless if i wanted to upgrade in 6 months.

I'm in an odd position that's why i sort of wanted a full upgrade from head to toe of the box. Meaning no other adjustments would need to be made from now until 2011 or whatever the case may be.

I love and hate PC's, the hate comes from thinking about doing an upgrade :lol

MotherFan

rhfb said:
My brother is still having issues with his ATI 5770 and Windows7 64bit. Getting error messages popping up. No clue what is wrong but I'm beginning to think it might be hardware (not the 5770) related :| He was getting hard freezes but then I told him to turn his fan on to like 65 or 70% all the time to keep the heat on the card down. The error he gets is popping up even though he did a reformat and fresh driver installs :|

This is exactly the problem I had. Hard crashes in games after 5 min but putting a big room fan pointing at it with the case open and the card fan on high made it more stable. I RMA'd it and the new card works perfectly. I'd say it is the 5770 have him send it back for a replacement. Try the card in your system if you can.

As for temps, it should work fine even at 80. Mine runs at 75 MAX (not seen it higher than 70 while gaming, only got that in the furmark benchmark) and 38 idle. This is clocked at 960/1360.

@ evlcookie: The OEM copy of W7 you can buy from online retailers like newegg will work with you system unless you change the MB. If you plan on keeping that the same for awhile it is a good deal. New HD, GPU, CPU are fine.

You know, I hope ATI fixes a few things in the Catalyst and HDMI drivers soon.

Two things bother me.

1. When switching from my monitor to my TV, Catalyst never remembers to set RGB Limited.

2. Also when using ATI's HDMI audio driver and switching displays/audio you have to basically reboot the machine or use the windows trouble shooter like 10 times to get HDMI audio to work.

Kosma

Banned
Okay I finally got around to actually checking out my budget PSU that came with the case I bought almost 2 years ago.

2csf7k7.jpg

So I'm guessing with this PSU I can only go as far a GPU that has a max usage of 228 watt?

Or do I need to divide its max usage by 12 and then see if I have enough at 16A?

How About No said:
Sorry another question =)

There appear to be two HIS HD 5770s, which look different, but have the exact same specs:

$189.00, comes with DIRT2 (don't give a crap)

$160, free shipping, slightly shorter

Which one do I get if I don't care about the game? The $189 one doesn't perform better for some wierd reason does it?!

Thanks =)

Well the second one has inferior cooling as well, and since the Dirt 2 voucher is just a Steam key, i doubt you'd have much trouble finding someone willing to pay ~$20+ for it.

evlcookie said:
Gaf, I need your opinion on something. I'm trying to figure out if i should upgrade or not.

Current rig is
CPU: C2D E7200
GPU: ATi 4850
Ram: 4GB
Monitor: 24" - So everything is played at 1920x1200

The rig i have in my head is.
CPU: i7 860
GPU: 5850
Ram: 4GB - Maybe 8GB for funs.
Monitor: Same 24" i have right now.

There are of course small additions here and there that i pretty much know what i would get if i decided to upgrade. The question of course is should i?

Now i am still tossing up between the 750 and 860. The only reason i've decided to go for the 860 at this point in time is because it's essentially the "middle" in terms of performance. I've never been one to buy the BEST or WORST thing, it's always been about a balance with good price/performance ratio. Gaming is all i really do on it, No multimedia sort of crap, So yes the HT from the 860 *could* be pointless but it's only AUD$100 more.

So do i upgrade and build myself an entire new box or is it somewhat pointless? Do i want another 6 months and re-evalue my PC box then? I need input because i'm a pussy when it comes to spending money :lol

If the performance of your E7200 is unsatisfactory then I'd suggest OCing before laying out any cash. You can do the GPU upgrade, whenever.

Kosma said:
Okay I finally got around to actually checking out my budget PSU that came with the case I bought almost 2 years ago.

So I'm guessing with this PSU I can only go as far 228 watt for my GPU correct?

That looks to be a maximum and not sustained figure as well, so really, its not a very good PSU at all, your CPU sucks from the 12V rail as well fyi.

Kosma

Banned
Well I got the case with PSU for 49 euro two years ago so its of no surprise :lol

With the CPU sucking from that as well, my system is at its max now I think. I need a new PSU if I want to upgrade anything.

Infinity

I would also recommend Avast Home Edition (Free). I've had nothing but great performance out of it with both Vista x64 and Windows 7-64 Home Premium.

Minsc

Gold Member
Infinity said:
I would also recommend Avast Home Edition (Free). I've had nothing but great performance out of it with both Vista x64 and Windows 7-64 Home Premium.

Are there any popups or adds? Restarts for updates? I'm sure it's a great product, I've used it in the past, but I remember having to manage yearly keys, and seeing quite a few popups from time to time.

MSE is perhaps the best anti-virus I've used. You literally install it, and you'll never even know it's running. No windows, no update popups, no resource hogging, no nothing. It's like it's not even there. But it is. :)

dionysus

Yaldog
Infinity said:

Better or worse than the free version of AVG? Ok, what is the best, Avast, AVG, or MSE?

Infinity

dionysus said:
Better or worse than the free version of AVG? Ok, what is the best, Avast, AVG, or MSE?

AVG Free has taken a nose-dive IMO. In fact, that's why I made the switch to Avast.

Avast requires the occasional reboot and you do have to manage your key on a yearly basis.

Red

Minsc said:
Are there any popups or adds? Restarts for updates? I'm sure it's a great product, I've used it in the past, but I remember having to manage yearly keys, and seeing quite a few popups from time to time.

MSE is perhaps the best anti-virus I've used. You literally install it, and you'll never even know it's running. No windows, no update popups, no resource hogging, no nothing. It's like it's not even there. But it is. :)
I'm with you. Avast was alright, but ever since I tried out MSE I haven't looked back.

FightTest

AVs: AVG is terrible now. Used to be decent back in the day but then it turned into harassing-register-me-oh-god-buy-me-look-at-my-splash-screen-every-time-you-do-anything-ware. Avast is still fine but requires attention. MSE, as stated, is just install and forget. I've switched.

Controller: Wired 360 controller. There aren't any other great options. Both Logitech gamepads I've bought have died in short order and the Saitek one I got feels super flimsy. I was disappointed to find the play-and-charge kit does not make a wireless 360 controller wired, it continues to function wirelessly despite the USB connection.

sca2511

Pookaki said:
I just got a HD4850 I am now looking to upgrade my processor. This is what I have now. It does the job, but on CPU intensive games it is my bottleneck.

This is my Mobo any good recommendations?

<3
q9550, it's $185(inc tax) @ microcenter

FightTest said:
Controller: Wired 360 controller. There aren't any other great options. Both Logitech gamepads I've bought have died in short order and the Saitek one I got feels super flimsy. I was disappointed to find the play-and-charge kit does not make a wireless 360 controller wired, it continues to function wirelessly despite the USB connection.

Which Logitech controllers did you get? I'm not into the 360 layout, so I thought the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 would be a good buy.

Firestorm

What was the issue with the USB 3.0 / SATA 3 boards again?
Bebpo said:
I meant more the aspect ratio than text size, but I solved that by just minimizing the window into a more square-ish proportion :)

google is totally failing me in terms of finding the optimal settings for this monitor. I'm using theater mode with sharpness turned down right now since it has the darkest blacks and alright color.
Tell me what you're using >.>; I think I'm on something similar though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
1. Another vote going In for Microsoft Security Essentials. MS nailed it.

2. I'm lookin for something to hook my notebook up to, for gaming via HDMI. What's the best 1080p monitor under $200? How's this ASUS look?

birdchili

NightHawk17 said:
whats a good game controller to get?
i have a "super joy box pro" (yes - possibly the best product name ever) which lets me plug a wired ps2 controller into usb which i like quite a bit. i think it was about $10 from play-asia.

Firestorm

A 360 controller is seriously the only controller you should be buying for 3D games... It has out of the box compatibility with almost everything these days. Not to mention very comfortable. I got a PS2-USB converter for my 2D games.

K.Jack said:
2. I'm lookin for something to hook my notebook up to, for gaming via HDMI. What's the best 1080p monitor under $200? How's this ASUS look?.

Firestorm said:
ASUS VH236H 23 Widescreen LCD Monitor USA

It's a 23" LCD Monitor with a screen resolution of 1920x1080 (most games run at 1280x720... if that). That's a 16:9 aspect ratio which is what all high definition games and tv shows run at. If I'm not mistaken, these are also the displays that Evo uses for their fighting game tournaments due to their incredibly low amount of input lag. Since it has HDMI, DVI, and VGA you can have your game system hooked up using HDMI and your computer hooked up using DVI or VGA and switch between them at the press of a button. It also has audio input, output (for headphones/speakers), and built-in speakers.

Minsc

Gold Member
FightTest said:

Any reason why wired over wireless though (besides cost)? I picked up a wireless 360 controller, and haven't notice anything wrong with it. It's actually quite nice, used it a bit in Dirt 2, and briefly in Resident Evil 5 (and a space sim game, but it's no joystick).

I read the wireless controller gave you an extra button that the wired one didn't have, but I'm not sure what that meant.

Kccitystar

So my friend's video card decided to shit the bed today for good and he's on some old ass GeForce 6200 card. What exactly is the best video card to buy, seeing as he has an AGP slot?

Or should he just scrap his PC for parts and build a new one?

Doytch

TouchMyBox said:
Is anybody here familiar with this HS/F? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&Tpk=ARCTIC%20COOLING%20Freezer%2064%20Pro%2092mm%20CPU%20Cooler

I bought it since it had pretty good reviews and free shipping, the stock fan for my newly purchased athlon II x3 435 is doing decently with the OC i have right now (3.44GHz w/o extra voltage) and I'm hoping this will let me get to ~3.6GHz like many reviewers were able to get to on air.
Looks like the same design as my Freezer 7 (from AC, also). I'm generally content with how it's performed. One thing is that installing it can be a bitch and the fan isn't manufactured too well. One of the pins on mine isn't sticking in anymore, and I had to replace the fan because part of the circular guards that's on it broke off, throwing off the balance and creating a rattling noise. Note that this was after shipping the PC from Canada to the US and back again, though, so YMMV. I'd recommend it anyway.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
brain_stew said:
If the performance of your E7200 is unsatisfactory then I'd suggest OCing before laying out any cash. You can do the GPU upgrade, whenever.

It's been OC'd since day one. Currently running at 3.2 and has been for the part 14 months. I usually buy the middle/sweet chip that oc's like a nut and oc it to save some money. Although i could only afford the E7200 which is why i got it.

Kukumalu

Hey GAF, I'm thinking about building a new computer and this is what I came up with

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 iP55 - 165€
CPU - Intel i5 750 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache - 187€
Graphics Card - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB - 260€
RAM - 2x2048Mb DDR3 GSkill PC3-12800 (1600) CL7 RipJaws - 106€
HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB 32MB Cache - 85€
Power Supply - Corsair HX-650W - 114€
Case - Silverstone LC17C - 135€

Total - 1052€
Any suggestions? I don't plan on OCing or anything like that and the game I'm really looking most forward to is Diablo 3 and maybe WoW: Cataclysm so I'm not sure if its overkill or not.
Thanks

Edit: Forgot to say I'm coming from a Core2Duo E6400 with a Geforce 7600GT.

Kukumalu said:
Hey GAF, I'm thinking about building a new computer and this is what I came up with

Total - 1052€
Any suggestions? I don't plan on OCing or anything like that and the game I'm really looking most forward to is Diablo 3 and maybe WoW: Cataclysm so I'm not sure if its overkill or not.
Thanks

Well, if its only for Diablo and WoW, then why not just try clocking that processor upto 3ghz and adding a new GPU and see if you're satisfied? It'll only cost you the price of a 3rd party HSF (15 Euros should cover it) + the GPU you were going to buy anyway, and if its not enough for you can just go ahead and get the new rig and reuse the GPU.

corn_fest

brain_stew said:
With that sort of budget, core i5/i7 is the only way to go.

Any reason you need such a beefy PSU? It could probably still handle that build even if you threw in another 3 of those 5770s! :lol

What about swapping out the CPU and mobo with these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130226

PSU came with the GPU in a bundle :p So what do you recommend? I got around 260w with the power supply calculator using the Core i7 CPU and mobo.

Shambles

Kukumalu said:

Total - 1052€
Thanks

Despite the fact it's going from a dual core to a quad core going from a C2D to an i5 is an iffy upgrade. I'd just OC the E6400 and keep rocking it for a while.

corn_fest said:
What about swapping out the CPU and mobo with these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130226

PSU came with the GPU in a bundle :p So what do you recommend? I got around 260w with the power supply calculator using the Core i7 CPU and mobo.

Well I'd personally save myself a $100 and get an i5 750, it'll tend to perform better in games.

Its upto you PSU wise, just be aware even Corsair's 450w model should run that rig just fine.

Kosma

Banned
anyone with some monitor knowledge mind helping me out? In the search for something in the 200-300 range, widescreen at least 22-25 inch. Something good for gaming and some video watching at high res. All I keep hearing is TN monitors suck but I have no idea what that is :lol

Kosma

Banned
That CM Scout case is good and it looks ace, but I heard its a bit tight. But with the 5770 there should be no problems.

Kosma said:
That CM Scout case is good and it looks ace, but I heard its a bit tight. But with the 5770 there should be no problems.
*looks*

Damn you're right, the pic made the case look huge! But .3" is enough to spare, right?

Just stumbled across this on Newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133089

Who in the world would pay $800 for a freaking case....
Wow that looks sexy...but 70 lbs?!
I mean $800?!

Top Bottom