• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Dash

Kabuki Waq said:
Its in Canadian Moneyz? But yea I just wanted a faster CPU.

Canadian. I'm buying the exact same parts as you, yet it'll come to around 700-800 CAD when I'm done. As has said before, for gaming you'll see hardly any difference between the i5 750 and i7 920 as I don't think there's a single game out there that can take advantage of its hyperthreading. There's only a few non-gaming applications out there that might benefit from it.

Minsc

Gold Member
K.Jack said:
I think we need to be careful to not make games sound near unplayable. If you're only shooting for 30fps, all of those games can be played on High settings, with Crysis and Risen being the two toughest contenders.

Definitely, the question was asked about maximum settings though, which all those games have some pretty obscene performance hitters when set past high. That's when the trouble comes, when you go for the beyond high settings (to the max, max settings). Even a 5870 isn't going to solve your problem then, I still see dips in Dawn of War 2 to nearly 30fps with a 5870 and i7 @ 3.4 ghz when there's millions of things happening at once.

As far as pricing, no one really knows, but I don't expect things to drop until Q2 2010 when the inventory is no longer an issue.

birdchili

anyone have some insight regarding why my ps2->usb controller adapter isn't working properly with win7 64-bit? the d-pad is non-functional in all games i've tried so far. with analog on, i get d-pad on the analog stick (not what i want). in the device config, the d-pad registers as buttons 13-16, which seems fine, but it doesn't seem to register in games.

with xp, this adapter just worked. i'm sure i can hack custom configs together with joy2key, but there has to be a better way.

gsarjeant

K.Jack said:
Yeah, it will be fine with FFXIV.

As far as Dragon Age, I'm running it @ 1680x1050, and it's 30+ fps, even with generous anti-aliasing.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the laptop recommendation and info. I bought that Asus laptop and it arrived yesterday. I'm very happy with it so far. Thanks!

luiztfc

I do not live in the US, but a friend of mine will be there next january buying a HD 5870 for me (in Brazil they cost roughly 700 dollars). So:

1 - How much is the HD 5870 currently costing in the US; and

2 - Where can one easily buy it in New York City?

Another question, I do intend to use my PC as a DAC to listen to high fi music. What soundcard do you guys recommend?

luiztfc said:
I do not live in the US, but a friend of mine will be there next january buying a HD 5870 for me (in Brazil they cost roughly 700 dollars). So:

1 - How much is the HD 5870 currently costing in the US; and

2 - Where can one easily buy it in New York City?

Another question, I do intend to use my PC as a DAC to listen to high fi music. What soundcard do you guys recommend?

if you mean a store try JandR music and computer world.

Wallach

K.Jack said:
I'm playing DA: O on a 9800 GT and 2.93Ghz C2D. 1680x1050, max settings. 30+ fps at all times.

L4D2 will run maxed out, no-brainer easy.

Yeah. The rig I built yesterday on the parts I mentioned (i5 750, 4GB DDR3, Gigabyte P55 w/ 9800 GTX+) runs DA:O @ 1920 x 1080 w/ 4xAA easily. Even in the really crappy sections for framerate (i.e. Denerim Market) you hardly ever see numbers below 30 FPS. Otherwise it's trucking along around 50-70 FPS. Bioware needs to stop making new engines, though, and start fixing up the ones they have. This is a good engine that could be great with some optimization on their part.

hwateber

Hello GAF I hope you can help me with diagnosing my computer.
I was playing a game a few days ago when my computer had randomly turned off. When I tried to turn it on again the LED'a flashed on for a second or two and the computer powered down again. I unplugged and replugged the power cable and tried turning on my PC again and while it did power on, I smelled something like burning plastic coming from the pc so I turned it off again. As of now, when I try to turn on my PC, it powers up but there is no display and I hear a long beep followed by two short ones.

MSI K9A2 CF Motherboard
MSI 4890 1 GB
AMD Phenom II 945
4 GB Patriot RAM

Wallach

hwateber said:
Hello GAF I hope you can help me with diagnosing my computer.
I was playing a game a few days ago when my computer had randomly turned off. When I tried to turn it on again the LED'a flashed on for a second or two and the computer powered down again. I unplugged and replugged the power cable and tried turning on my PC again and while it did power on, I smelled something like burning plastic coming from the pc so I turned it off again. As of now, when I try to turn on my PC, it powers up but there is no display and I hear a long beep followed by two short ones.

MSI K9A2 CF Motherboard
MSI 4890 1 GB
AMD Phenom II 945
4 GB Patriot RAM

For most BIOS, 1 long + 2 short is a video initialization error. My guess is your video card fails POST check. Take it out and replace it with a different card (or switch to onboard video) and see if it POSTs.

Dash

So I placed my order at NCIX.com, and I was wondering if I made a mistake by not putting insurance on my option? It's only an extra $15.00, and losing $600.00 worth of equipment in the mail would be pretty shitty. Also, how long does NCIX usually take to price match and ship?

Hey guys, I recently fell into an extra $200 and thought I should spend it on getting (hopefully) a bigger/better monitor seeing as I'm going to be looking at that the most. I was going to get the Asus VW246H orginally because that's the best bang for buck really with monitors at that size, quality and price.
Asus Prices
So with an extra $200 what can I get that is better and possibly larger than this, prefferably with an HDMI port. Or should I just leave it?

hwateber

Wallach said:
For most BIOS, 1 long + 2 short is a video initialization error. My guess is your video card fails POST check. Take it out and replace it with a different card (or switch to onboard video) and see if it POSTs.
thanks! That's what my brother and I have been suspecting too. I'm waiting on a friend so I can borrow his video card and I'll post back here.

Wallach

MWS Natural said:
Anyone have any experience with Lian Li cases? For the most part I hear they are good but wanted someone with hands on opinions.

I have one of their solid aluminum cases. I like it alright, has very good thermal, but is not the most convenient of cases. The sides are a little unwieldy compared to my Antec 300. Personally I still like the 300 as one of the best all-around cases given the price (unless you are going to run more than air for cooling).

Himajin

I'm very happy with my Lian Li A70. Great build quality, plenty of space, and heaps of options for customization. I get far better airflow than my last case, and the case fans are all dead quiet.

The one thing I'm not 100% happy with is how easy it is to get fingerprints all over the brushed aluminum. Still, it just sits under my desk, so not an issue for me.

If you've got the cash, and you see one that fits your criteria, I'd say you can't go wrong with a Lian Li.

I currently have 550 watts to work with and I don't play enough games on PC to warrant a new build so...?
Gefore 9800GT or Radeon 4850?
I really don't wanna spend any more than $150.

Alucrid said:
So I just noticed that I have a stuck pixel (it's red) on my monitor. How exactly do I go about fixing it?

Not much you can do, sometimes it'll go away on it's own but for the most part you're just stuck with it. I think there is some program you can try but it also has a chance of damaging the monitor worse from what I remember.

Alucrid

Banned
R2D4 said:
You can try to massage it with a piece of cloth. Sounds stupid but it works.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/faq/24-what-is-a-pixel-massage

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Not much you can do, sometimes it'll go away on it's own but for the most part you're just stuck with it. I think there is some program you can try but it also has a chance of damaging the monitor worse from what I remember.

Hmm, I'll try that program and see. If not I might be rubbing one out. Thanks.

Zaptruder

Banned
dionysus said:
Finally got off my lazy ass and put my after market cooler and ssd in the computer. Wow does having a ssd make overclocking trials easy. Reboots in 15s are awesome.

So far my i7 920 is probably going to overheat or become unstable, but running a trial at 3.9 Ghz with prime95 FFT setting. Upper 80s so far.

Used this guide.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Overclocking-Intels-Core-i7-920-Processor/?page=4

What are you guys using to monitor your CPU heat levels?

Firestorm

Jeff Stephen said:
I currently have 550 watts to work with and I don't play enough games on PC to warrant a new build so...?
A little bit more, but should set you for the next year or two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161317&cm_re=5770\-_-14-161-317-_-Product

If you really can't go over after shipping and tax:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448

Jeff Stephen said:

Firestorms suggestions are solid, ideally grab a 5770. What's your CPU/RAM combo though, they have to be good enough to support such a GPU.

Firestorm

By the way, 5770 is good enough for someone gaming on a 1280x1024 right? I think she's mostly going to be playing TF2 and Maple Story but in case she wants to try something more intensive.

Wallach

dionysus said:
I use core temp.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Sadly 3.9 was unstable but I will probably leave it cause it made it several hours in and real world performance isn't as demanding as these tests.

Upper 80s is pretty hot, man. Even if that is under full load w/ Prime95 that kind of temp will probably cut a good year or so off the processor's life.

That said, I have to think something is wrong with how you installed your aftermarket cooler; that seems really hot for such an OC to me. I have an i5 750 that is still sitting with the stock cooler and with a similar jump from stock speeds I only hit 79-81c under extended load. I didn't keep that OC since I'm still waiting for a new fan to arrive but with an aftermarket cooler and arctic silver rather than the stock thermal paste, you probably shouldn't be hitting those temps.

dionysus

Yaldog
Wallach said:
Upper 80s is pretty hot, man. Even if that is under full load w/ Prime95 that kind of temp will probably cut a good year or so off the processor's life.

That said, I have to think something is wrong with how you installed your aftermarket cooler; that seems really hot for such an OC to me. I have an i5 750 that is still sitting with the stock cooler and with a similar jump from stock speeds I only hit 79-81c under extended load. I didn't keep that OC since I'm still waiting for a new fan to arrive but with an aftermarket cooler and arctic silver rather than the stock thermal paste, you probably shouldn't be hitting those temps.

I am going to watch it in games. If it hits the upper 70s I will fiddle with it some more.

Firestorm said:
By the way, 5770 is good enough for someone gaming on a 1280x1024 right? I think she's mostly going to be playing TF2 and Maple Story but in case she wants to try something more intensive.

Of course, the 5770 is a solid player at even 1080p. At 1280x1024, you can go a lot cheaper than a 5770, I got my buddy a 4770 for $99 because he only plays at 1280x1024 and it serves him absolutely fine in l4d2 and tf2.

dionysus said:
I use core temp.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Sadly 3.9 was unstable but I will probably leave it cause it made it several hours in and real world performance isn't as demanding as these tests.

Eh, is an extra 1-2 fps in games really worth crashing right in the middle of a L4D campaign? :\

cryptic

What would be a good cpu cooler for an amd phenom 965 at 125w? I've been looking but really want the best for the price and there are so many options I think personal forumgoer experience is the best bet.Thanks.

friend is making his first pc, wants it cheap but some gaming if possible (has a monitor, and my old 6800gt if need be, yes its old but its better than integrated)

heres what he has so far, any glaring omissions or substitutions let me know pls

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX250OCGQBOX
Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU:
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Ram:
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1067
Case:
APEVIA X-CRUISER2-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

he looking at 500 max, and he just made this list himself, I dont have time at the moment to go over it, so if you guys have a go to "OMG AWESOME RIG" for under 500 feel free to tell me to use that over this.

ZombieSupaStar said:
friend is making his first pc, wants it cheap but some gaming if possible (has a monitor, and my old 6800gt if need be, yes its old but its better than integrated)

heres what he has so far, any glaring omissions or substitutions let me know pls

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX250OCGQBOX
Motherboard:
PSU:
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Ram:
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1067
Case:
HD:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

he looking at 500 max, and he just made this list himself, I dont have time at the moment to go over it, so if you guys have a go to "OMG AWESOME RIG" for under 500 feel free to tell me to use that over this.

Get him a new GPU, even a ~$60 4670 will utterly obliterate that old 6800GT, and honestly, modern integrated cards and too far off beating it out either with hugely reduced power consumption, video acceleration and HDMI audio.

Dash

brain_stew said:
On the cheaper end of the scale, you won't get much more bang for your buck than you get from this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004&cm_re=sunbeam-_-35-207-004-_-Product

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-GP&manufacture=COOLERMASTER From what I've read this has the best price/performance ratio. Comes close to matching the performance of those twice its price. It has the added benefit of being able to fit on 1156, unlike a lot of other coolers.

So, I just ordered an OCZ Agility 60GB SSD for some reason.

I heard that windows 7 is build for SSDs, does this mean that I don't have to manually disable things like indexing and superfetch and auto-defrag? or are all of those things still enabled by default? Anything else I should know about this thing?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TouchMyBox said:

I heard that windows 7 is build for SSDs, does this mean that I don't have to manually disable things like indexing and superfetch and auto-defrag? or are all of those things still enabled by default? Anything else I should know about this thing?
Win7 has a feature called trim, which basically lets the SSD know which pieces of memory have been designated for deletion. This prevents performance degradation over time. You shouldn't have to do anything if you have the right firmware.

TouchMyBox said:

Win7 should realize it's an SSD during the install and set itself up accordingly. I just installed win7 home premium 64bit on an intel 80gb SSD with the new trim supporting firmware. Was as painless as could be, and super fast! I'll never go back to a platter drive for my OS/boot disk again.

brain_stew said:
Get him a new GPU, even a ~$60 4670 will utterly obliterate that old 6800GT, and honestly, modern integrated cards and too far off beating it out either with hugely reduced power consumption, video acceleration and HDMI audio.

so what about the other stuff? is it ok?

Question for PC GAF:

I'm looking to do a fairly decent upgrade of my PC in preparation of FFXIV's release next year, and hopefully do it on the cheap, say under $400. I'm okay with running things at middle settings for now and stretched resolutions are fine. (1920x1080 monitor) With what's in my system right now I'm definitely looking at a new motherboard, CPU, memory and GPU. I've got a Thermaltake 430W power supply that I'd rather not have to replace.

I don't know a whole lot about building PCs but I've messed around a little bit. Here's what I'm looking at getting right now:

Motherboard & CPU bundle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.308581
-ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

GPU & Memory bundle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.300049
-ASUS ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
-CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX

$397 shipped on newegg

My biggest concerns are :

a) is there something I'm not aware of that I'll be missing out on by going micro ATX? They're cheaper and I kind of want to in the future turn this into a middle-end mini gaming PC that I can easily transport.

b) Is the GT 240 really going to get me where I want to be? I know it's not going to push max settings but how does it hold up if I'll just wanna be able to play games at average settings for the next year or two? I'm sure it'll be a significant upgrade over the 7600 GS I've got right now.

Firestorm

ZombieSupaStar said:

CPU:
Motherboard:
PSU:
Ram:
Case:
HD:

CPU+GPU: Phenom II x2 550 + Gigabyte 4670 - $163.99 - $10 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.300852

Motherboard: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P - $79.99 - $10 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813128392

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream - $59.99 - $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

RAM: G.SKILL Rijaws Series 2x2GB - $89.99 after coupon code on page
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

Case: Antec 300 - $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

HDD: 500GB Samsung F3 - $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

DVD: Sony Optiarc Black - $26.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Total: $530.93 - $40 MIR = $490.93

What resolution is the monitor? Too bad he can't do another $70 - $90 or he could get a 5750 or 5750 + X3 720=)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.300900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.300899

Wallach

HappyBivouac said:
My biggest concerns are :

a) is there something I'm not aware of that I'll be missing out on by going micro ATX? They're cheaper and I kind of want to in the future turn this into a middle-end mini gaming PC that I can easily transport.

One thing the P55 chipset mobos has taught me is that mATX is not an issue anymore from a performance standpoint. I picked up a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 and it really is an excellent board that has all the OC features and build quality I generally expect out of their full ATX boards. Really it's more about space and how much you need to expand into. I personally run my gaming rigs very lean so it is of no concern to me, I probably won't even use any of the other PCI-E slots on the board aside from my video card.

Top Bottom