• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Zyzyxxz

Guts & Puck said:
I've never been a PC guy but with the release date of DoWII creeping up, I'm going to take the plunge and get me a PC to play games on. Currently I'm looking at the following setup :

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 920 (2,66 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4,8 GT/sec.)
4.096 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3 (4 x 1.024)
512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 grafische kaart

What do you guys think ?

Kinda overkill with the Core i7. Recommended requirements state "any" core2due. Might as well go with a Q6600 or a Q9650 and save money on mobo costs and put it toward a 4870. Unless you play at resolutions 1280 x 1024 and smaller.

kodt said:
I was considering building a new PC or upgrading my current PC but I found a deal I couldn't pass up. Sure no overclocking possibilities but that doesn't bother me. Now I can keep my old PC intact and have an extra XP machine if I need it.

Dell Studio XPS:
Core i7 920
6GB DDR3
Radeon 4850 512mb
750GB Seagate HDD
DVD Burner
Vista Home Premium 64bit Edition
Mouse/Keyboard

$850

Loaded up Crysis:Warhead 1680x1050, all settings on Gamer and it runs great. I'll do some benchmarks and try higher settings later on.

It's a 360w PSU but Dell PSU's are not bad, I have an extra Antec Earthwatts 380 sitting around as well. This machine does not use any proprietary Dell power connectors so I can upgrade the PSU / vid card in the future without any problem.

Thats not a bad deal at all. Pretty much what it would costs to build it yourself but you save yourself the hassle and its all tested by Dell so you probably won't get anything DOA.

Keen said:
Slight revision:

Proc:Intel Core™ i7 920 Quad Processor
Mobo:Asus P6T Deluxe V2, X58, Socket-1366
Memory:Corsair TWIN3X 1600MHz DDR3, 6GB
PSU:Corsair Powersupply 620W, 120mm Fan
gfx:Gainward GeForce GTX 295 1792MB PhysX (or eVGA. But they only have the gainward in stock. Is it worth it to wait?)
hdd:Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM

Do I need to be worried about the PSU? I know wattage isn't everything but the store I'm looking at has a recommendation of a minimum 680W PSU with 6pin and 8pin power connector.

Question---

Are you wanting to run a dedicated PhysX card or SLi down the road?

If you answered yes to either of those questions, you'll want to bump up the PSU to at least a 800W.

kodt

Banned
Archie said:
How'd you get that system for $850? The Studio XPS I saw at their website was $1800.

Microcenter has it on sale for $999 (no monitor). Someone returned it and I bought it as an open box for $850. Nothing was even missing from the box.

iDoubleSpy said:
When I go into my BIOS, the system temperature is at 112c (225f) and the cpu temperature is at 45c (80f)

More than likely your system temperature sensor is broken and it is reading the maximum temp it normally supports. There is no way it is actually 112C.

Zyzyxxz said:
Thats not a bad deal at all. Pretty much what it would costs to build it yourself but you save yourself the hassle and its all tested by Dell so you probably won't get anything DOA.

Yeah you could build something for close to that price, but that's not including the price of Vista. If you factor in the little stuff like the card reader, mouse, keyboard, software it all starts to add up.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
VictimOfGrief said:
Question---

Are you wanting to run a dedicated PhysX card or SLi down the road?

If you answered yes to either of those questions, you'll want to bump up the PSU to at least a 800W.

I don't know right now, I might. So I guess. better to spend a little bit extra now, than having to buy a whole new PSU, with all the hassle that entails.

What are good brands. When I bought my old comp Tagan, Enermax were good brands, and obviously pc power and cooling. But I've seen some reviews of some Tagan ones now, and they seem to suck. The 1300w (which I'm not looking at) got an F at [H]. :/

I also want modular.

kodt said:
More than likely your system temperature sensor is broken and it is reading the maximum temp it normally supports. There is no way it is actually 112C.

Thank you. Yeah when I put my hands in there its super cool. I have a very nice case with plenty of fans, so air isn't a problem.

I should mention that at one point I had to replace my PSU which was a 500watt also. Before I replaced my PSU, I was outputting low voltage to my GPU, so is that the problem?

If so, EVGA is already willing to replace my card.

Thanks again. I was getting gray hairs

Zyzyxxz

Keen said:
I don't know right now, I might. So I guess. better to spend a little bit extra now, than having to buy a whole new PSU, with all the hassle that entails.

What are good brands. When I bought my old comp Tagan, Enermax were good brands, and obviously pc power and cooling. But I've seen some reviews of some Tagan ones now, and they seem to suck. The 1300w (which I'm not looking at) got an F at [H]. :/

I also want modular.

Seasonic M12, they had a deal on Amazon for a PC Power and Cooling 750W too lazy to check for you.

But I got my Seasonic at Fry's for $70 with a 40 rebate, the rebate offer is no longer valid but if you got a Fry's nearby check if the Seasonic is still $70 because that is a smoking hot price for a $200 PSU

kodt

Banned
Keen said:

I also want modular.

Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, PC power and cooling all make quality PSU's. I know Corsair and PC P&C make modular ones.

iDoubleSpy said:
Thank you. Yeah when I put my hands in there its super cool. I have a very nice case with plenty of fans, so air isn't a problem.

I should mention that at one point I had to replace my PSU which was a 500watt also. Before I replaced my PSU, I was outputting low voltage to my GPU, so is that the problem?

If so, EVGA is already willing to replace my card.

Thanks again. I was getting gray hairs

I don't think the system temp sensor would be related to GPU voltage, your video card should have it's own heat sensor on it. If your CPU temps and GPU temps are good then you don't need to worry much about the system temperature. Check your GPU temps and see if that is the issue for your FPS drop.

kodt said:
I don't think the system temp sensor would be related to GPU voltage, your video card should have it's own heat sensor on it. If your CPU temps and GPU temps are good then you don't need to worry much about the system temperature.

I was referring to my poor game performance compared to when I first got it. I am pretty sure since it had low voltage for awhile (the problems started when my PSU failed) but was just hoping for a 2nd opinion.

Thanks again kodt.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Zyzyxxz said:
Seasonic M12, they had a deal on Amazon for a PC Power and Cooling 750W too lazy to check for you.

But I got my Seasonic at Fry's for $70 with a 40 rebate, the rebate offer is no longer valid but if you got a Fry's nearby check if the Seasonic is still $70 because that is a smoking hot price for a $200 PSU

Fry's is pretty far away considering I live in Sweden. :D But thanks for the tips =)

AFreak

Banned
Hey, got a PM from ProfessorLOBO and what he's selling(hope you don't mind me asking the rest of GAF about this...)

I have a brand new gaming desktop. $600 shipped.

- AMD Athlon X2 5600 2.9Ghz Dual Core
- ATI Radeon 4850 512Mb
- 4 Gb Corsair RAM
- DVD Burner
- 250 Gb SATA hard drive
- 500W Power Supply

Anyaway, just seeing what the rest of GAF thought of this set-up. He also says he's overclocked the 4850 to 680/1160, and the processor to 3.1Ghz for more performance.

Just want to know if this is a good buy or not?

FoxSpirit

Hey, what if I sell of my comps whole core?

1.5 years old
-------
E4400@2.00 , never oced
x1950pro 256MB with heatpipe cooling from Asus, never oced
3 Gigs of Samsung DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz
DG965WH Intel Mobo
Chieftec Delta 390Watt PSU, 12V1@14A+12V2@15A, temp controled fan
-------
everything in top shape

I thought I'd sell off the whole thing at 180 eurobucks, any thoughts?

Tom Penny said:
How much of a leap would going from an 8800 gt to an X4850?
Hey Tom,

I'm assuming it's an 8800GT w/ 512MB of RAM? And also you'd be upgrading to an HD4850 correct?

From what I've been reading, going from a 8800GT/9800GT (same card) to a 4850 isn't going to be that big of a jump; You'd really want to go from an 8800GT/9800GT to a 4870/GTX260/285 or higher.

What resolution are you gaming at? 19/22/24" monitor? 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 or higher?

Spooka said:
I was just coming in here to ask about 12v rails. If my 500w power supply is listed as "+12v1@15A, +12v2@16A" would that be enough to power something like a 9800 gtx+? Do you add the 15a and 16a together for total amps?

In theory, yes. In practice a dual rail setup never distributes its power perfectly equally, however chances are it'll just dedicate on of its rails to the GPU which means that, yes, it'll power a 9800GTX+ just fine. Personally I'd take the 4850 in that price range, cheaper and generally a better performer once decent IQ is introduced.

Zyzyxxz said:
Q9400 is dropping in price to $213 soon so I wouldn't buy yet.

Right now you can get the Q6600 for $190 on Newegg, no idea if it will drop anymore but who knows for sure.

Its EOL now, very unlikely the price will go anywhere but up from here on out.

Keen said:
Slight revision:

gfx:Gainward GeForce GTX 295 1792MB PhysX (or eVGA. But they only have the gainward in stock. Is it worth it to wait?)

Do I need to be worried about the PSU? I know wattage isn't everything but the store I'm looking at has a recommendation of a minimum 680W PSU with 6pin and 8pin power connector.

No, you'll be fine. That Corsair can actually deliver much more than 620w, not that your rig will ever use anywhere near that amount anyway.

Tom Penny said:
How much of a leap would going from an 8800 gt to an X4850?

I made the leap myself (only cost me like £40 alll said and done so was hard to refuse) and once you start to start to crank the resolution and IQ you'll actually be pretty surprised at the gap. I was pleased with the switch anyway. When a 1GB 4870 is going for around $200 though you might as well go the whole hog. Back when I made the switch I'd have had to lay out more than £100 extra so the situation was very different.

AFreak

Banned
Is the system ProfessorLobo selling pretty good? Sorry. I'll be in class soon and just want some opinions before I leave. Thanks in advance for the help GAF.

Tom Penny

VictimOfGrief said:
Hey Tom,

I'm assuming it's an 8800GT w/ 512MB of RAM? And also you'd be upgrading to an HD4850 correct?

From what I've been reading, going from a 8800GT/9800GT (same card) to a 4850 isn't going to be that big of a jump; You'd really want to go from an 8800GT/9800GT to a 4870/GTX260/285 or higher.

What resolution are you gaming at? 19/22/24" monitor? 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 or higher?

I game at 1280 x 1024. I might wait until the 4870 drops a little more. I bought my system years ago. What sucks is that it has an amd X2 processor so i'm still trying to figure the best one to buy and ride out the system long as possible which will be a while anyway. I have a the amd 5000+ overclocked to almost 3 ghz.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
brain_stew said:
No, you'll be fine. That Corsair can actually deliver much more than 620w, not that your rig will ever use anywhere near that amount anyway.

Thanks, but I can get the Seasonic M12 700W for the same price. Which is better? =)

edit: also, operating system. Is it worth getting Vista when windows 7 comes out in ~1 year?
I have XP, and I'm currently using Windows 7 beta. Which works surprisingly well on my old ass platform (AMD FX-53, 1 gig of ram, ATI X800). But how is game compatibility on 7?
If I'm getting Vista, which version should I get? Is Ultimate worth it or is Home Premium enough?

Slavik81

Hazaro said:
The 920 will get you there just as good. The 940 has longer legs into the 5Ghz territory because of the multi, but that's on chilled water, DI, LN2, etc.

120 is still the king ;)

Even compared to these 2.
Cooler%20Master%20%20V8%20-%20V10%2003.jpg

Cooler%20Master%20%20V8%20-%20V10%2007.jpg

Engineering at work. :D
Holy fuck.

Keen said:
Thanks, but I can get the Seasonic M12 700W for the same price. Which is better? =)

edit: also, operating system. Is it worth getting Vista when windows 7 comes out in ~1 year?
I have XP, and I'm currently using Windows 7 beta. Which works surprisingly well on my old ass platform (AMD FX-53, 1 gig of ram, ATI X800). But how is game compatibility on 7?
If I'm getting Vista, which version should I get? Is Ultimate worth it or is Home Premium enough?
Stick with XP, get Win7.

AFreak said:
Hey, got a PM from ProfessorLOBO and what he's selling(hope you don't mind me asking the rest of GAF about this...)

- AMD Athlon X2 5600 2.9Ghz Dual Core
- ATI Radeon 4850 512Mb
- 4 Gb Corsair RAM
- DVD Burner
- 250 Gb SATA hard drive
- 500W Power Supply
Just want to know if this is a good buy or not?

Newegg comparison:
- Athlon X2 5600: $90
- ATi HD4850: $145
- Corsair 4GB DDR2: $57
- DVD Burner: $30
- 250GB HD: $50
- 500W PSU: $50
- Presumably a case of some sort $25
- Figure in some labor ($50) and pretend the case is better (+$25)
- Presumably a motherboard of some sort ($75)
=Total: $597

Basically just says it's not a deal? But it's not absurd either. Does he have details on the motherboard, case, or build?

Keen said:

If you were to get Vista, Home Premium is the way to go. Premium 64 if you have a reason for it. But it's a tough time right now because really I wish we could just buy Windows 7 and skip all of that vista stuff. If you can keep using XP, do it (although it's hard to say how it will react to a PC change; OEM and retail behave differently...)

Zyzyxxz

Keen said:

I like the Seasonic's modular design, its very simple and they provide many many more cables than you will probably need but they come in different combinations to try to best fit your needs.

Also do I need a 1gig 4870 if I'm playing at 1680 x 1050

AFreak

Banned
* Studio 17 (1737) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

System Price : $749.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home PremiumMemory
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650Software Upgrade
Microsoft Works 9.0Media Bay
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)Certified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedBase
Studio 17 (1737) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)Web Camera
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web CameraNetwork Interface Card
Dell Wireless 1510 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini CardHardware Upgrade
No Fingerprint Reader
6 Cell Primary Battery
90W AC AdapterSystem Color
Midnight BlueLaptop Screen
17 inch WXGA+ TrueLife Glossy Laptop Screen

For What I want, how does this one seem?

AFreak said:
* Studio 17 (1737) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

System Price : $749.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home PremiumMemory
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650Software Upgrade
Microsoft Works 9.0Media Bay
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)Certified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedBase
Studio 17 (1737) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)Web Camera
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web CameraNetwork Interface Card
Dell Wireless 1510 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini CardHardware Upgrade
No Fingerprint Reader
6 Cell Primary Battery
90W AC AdapterSystem Color
Midnight BlueLaptop Screen
17 inch WXGA+ TrueLife Glossy Laptop Screen

For What I want, how does this one seem?

Well that's not a notebook. Its a desktop replacement. If portability isn't a concern (which it couldn't be if you're willing to buy a mammoth laptop like that) then you might as well go for a desktop. You could build an excellent rig for $750.

Since your budget has increased, then this would be the laptop I'd recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220239R

ASUS are pretty much the best manufacturer out there in terms of laptop build quality and this way you still get a decent grahics solution without having to put up with a behemoth of a "notebook" computer. You'd want tp upgrade the RAM but that's an incredibly cheap upgrade anyway.

two things, I want to max out my RAM so i need 8 GB. what is the best and cheapest DDR2@800 or 1066 although i probably won't Oc the things.

and more silly question time!! HA HA, QUESTION TIME!!!

Like i've mentioned before, I am Running a 9600 1GB GT in SLI mode. however I am Looking to upgrade to maybe a GTX 280, 4870 1GB or a GTX 295. if I am (god willing ) able to get the money to buy one of these lovely cards can i use one of my 9600 GT as a dedicated physX card? because i also wanted to buy a PhysX card that I sawe on E-bay brand new for cheap. thoughts?

avaya

Keen said:
Slight revision:

If the Gainward's in stock get it, but I've always found that EVGA and XFX generally have the best customer service in the business if things go wrong.

As already stated by others, the PSU should be fine. Your system on total load will only take up 400W. If you want to be safe bump it up to 750W+.

In terms of efficiency PC Power & Cooling have some great PSU's where the emphasis is on average power delivery than focusing on peak.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
two things, I want to max out my RAM so i need 8 GB. what is the best and cheapest DDR2@800 or 1066 although i probably won't Oc the things.

Like i've mentioned before, I am Running a 9600 1GB GT in SLI mode. however I am Looking to upgrade to maybe a GTX 280, 4870 1GB or a GTX 295. if I am (god willing ) able to get the money to buy one of these lovely cards can i use one of my 9600 GT as a dedicated physX card? because i also wanted to buy a PhysX card that I sawe on E-bay brand new for cheap. thoughts?

1066 RAM is only really useful for overclockers and even then DDR2 800 is fine for most sub 4ghz OCs anyway. You won't notice any performance difference even if benchmarks show negligible gains. There's plenty of decent DDR2 800 4GB kits for $40 or so. I'd go with this G Skill set:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

CPU is running right around 21C @ idle. :lol (f'ning nuts.... just f'ning nuts.... I <3 my Thermalright Ultra. :D )

Mind you this is a warm boot test where I don't have all the fans going nor cable management done yet. That will have to wait until tomorrow. For some odd reason too, Win7 is only showing 2GB of 3GB of memory, but it shows up fine everywhere else. Not sure if that's just Windows being stupid or what.

Anyways... hell of a machine. Anyone thinking of going with a Qxxx that can afford the i7.... Holy F'ning Crap... Get the i7! :D
5poak2.png

evil solrac v3.0 said:

here is some excellent G.Skill for $40 for 4GB

edit: and i've been beaten already! I guess I'll add that I'm currently using 8GB of this in my recent build and it has been excellent. All 4 sticks arrived in perfect condition.

Zyzyxxz

Clever Pun said:
here is some excellent G.Skill for $40 for 4GB

edit: and i've been beaten already! I guess I'll add that I'm currently using 8GB of this in my recent build and it has been excellent. All 4 sticks arrived in perfect condition.

+1 for G.Skill!

Lifetime warranty and when I had to use it for my ram I got a new stick within a few days due to them being located in California!

Doubledex

Banned
godhandiscen said:
That is just a benchmarking program. Synthetic benchmarks hold no value. For example, check this benchmark for FallOut 3 on which the 4870 1GB wins. As I told you, the 4870 1GB and the GTX260 core 216 are tied all across the board. Each one taking a victory by 1 or 2 fps in one game or another. And your friend doesn't know shit, and he most likely went overboard to find a benchmark graph that would prove him right, which means he most likely is a fanboy. Do not trust him. Just buy whichever card is cheaper between those two. And if you are going for the GTX260 make sure its a core 216 since there are still some old ones left around.
Thanks for your help :) I bought the 4870 1GB :)

Another question!
I need a new keyboard. I'm looking for a really good lookin' one :p
I simply like stylish-looking stuff ^^
I just found this one (Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard) I really like it, but I heard ...after 1 year, you can't see the letters/numbers anymore. Thats crap for such a expensive keyboard.

Anyone got another one (and no, not this 300€ russion keyboard ^^)
-should be wireless

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Doubledex said:
Thanks for your help :) I bought the 4870 1GB :)

Another question!
I need a new keyboard. I'm looking for a really good lookin' one :p
I simply like stylish-looking stuff ^^
I just found this one (Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard) I really like it, but I heard ...after 1 year, you can't see the letters/numbers anymore. Thats crap for such a expensive keyboard.

Anyone got another one (and no, not this 300€ russion keyboard ^^)
-should be wireless
Not stylish looking, but this is an awesome gaming keyboard.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DC9TB0/

Doubledex said:
Argh.... not wireless AND from MS... :-/

Why is that a bad thing? Microsoft have consistently put out some top notch PC peripherals down the years. If I was planning to spend a decent amount on a keyboard Microsoft (along with Logitech) would be one of the first company's set of product's I'd look at.

Doubledex

Banned
brain_stew said:
Why is that a bad thing? Microsoft have consistently put out some top notch PC peripherals down the years. If I was planning to spend a decent amount on a keyboard Microsoft (along with Logitech) would be one of the first company's set of product's I'd look at.
Because I do not want to puke every time I hit a button ;-)
No MS crap for me, please ;-p Yeah, I love LOGITECH, too.
Searched in ebay and amazon now. Found nothing :-(
unten.jpg

WTF? :lol

Anticitizen One said:
What kind of PC would I need to play Crysis, Mass Effect, and Gears of War at Max settings?

Also, has anyone heard about this Nvidia Geforce 3D? Supposedly its backwards compatible with most games fromn the past 5 years and the reveiws are saying its excellent. Has anyone tried it? Is it amazing? http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_GeForce_3D_VisionBundle_us.html

4GB RAM ($40), 4830 ($90) and an E5200 ($70) is about all you need really. You can ofcourse spend more but the choice is yours, those compoents will run all games at great settings and framerates for a very low entry cost. Those are the components at the sweet spot of price and performance and will net you the most performance per dollar. Overclocking that E52000 is HIGHLY advised, all you need is a $20 aftermarket cooler and a few hours spent reading up on the topic. Its a very simple and risk free process, and basically nets you around $100 worth of free performance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
brain_stew said:
4GB RAM ($40), 4830 ($90) and an E5200 ($70) is about all you need really. You can ofcourse spend more but the choice is yours, those compoents will run all games at great settings and framerates for a very low entry cost. Those are the components at the sweet spot of price and performance and will net you the most performance per dollar. Overclocking that E52000 is HIGHLY advised, all you need is a $20 aftermarket cooler and a few hours spent reading up on the topic. Its a very simple and risk free process, and basically nets you around $100 worth of free performance.
Yup yup yup

brain_stew said:

Im sorry but what is 4830 and E5200 in reference to? I'm just starting to get into PC gaming after a long hiatus so bear with me here.

Also what about the graphics card? I kinda want to get the latest and greatest available Nvidia card since it seems they have the widest support.

nobody answered my question so I'm posting it again to be annoying.

If i were to buy a GTX 280 or a GTX 295 can i use my old Geforce 9600 GT as a dedicated physX card?

brain_stew said:

I just added those and it comes out to 200 dollars.... why are people still buying consoles??????

evil solrac v3.0 said:
nobody answered my question so I'm posting it again to be annoying.

If i were to buy a GTX 280 or a GTX 295 can i use my old Geforce 9600 GT as a dedicated physX card?
I'm pretty sure you can. I dont see why not.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I just added those and it comes out to 200 dollars.... why are people still buying consoles??????

You didnt include a mobo, HDD, DVD drive, monitor (if you dont have one), case, heatsink (for OC'ing), and accesorries.

I'm a big PC head, but consoles have many exclusive games and most people are afraid of building a PC. Alot of people dont see much potential for PC gaming, I know I used to.

Top Bottom