• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

NIN90

Ok GAF, I'm taking the plunge.

500-600€
Gaming/Internets
Europe (Germany, specifically)
I don't care about OC.

Fill me in!!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zyzyxxz said:
Yeah I did end up going with the 920 to save some money.

Sure the overclocking headroom potential may not be as high but it can go 3.5ghz easily and for now thats enough for me.

I figure I would upgrade to a AM3 CPU later this year depending on income anyway so its really just a placeholder for now.

My parts are coming in today, once I get the system setup I'll post some overclocking results in the benchmark thread in the next couple days once I familiarize myself with the system.
Ohh I see. Also, I read little bit more, and it seems that 3.5GHz is a achievable for the 920. So you will be fine. The Phenom 2 apparently is better overclockable than the Phenom 1, and your motherboard has the better south bridge, so you are safe.
Ranger X said:
Anybody else to counter this argument?

Radeon HD 4830 > Geforce 9800GT

Yes, but only by a hair. Weren't you going to pick up the 4850 instead of the 4830?
VictimOfGrief said:
Yes... eVGA has THE best Step-Up program bar none.

I bought the 9800GT to at least tide me over until I got the funds for the 285. What you do is register your product, enter the Step-Up program... select the card you want and go into the waiting queue. You pay the difference between the cards; In this case... $124.99 - $384.99 = Total cost to me to Step-Up : $266.53.

Now what's crazy about this... is when the price is going to start going down on the 285... my total cost is going to go down as well. :D Very cool stuff.

You have about 90 days (+/- when you get it registered... for me I have 82 days left) before my Step-Up period ends.

If anyone is thinking about it, I highly recommend it. Only issue is being down without a system while you have your new card shipped out to you.
For how long are you going to be without a card?

Ranger X

godhandiscen said:
Ohh I see. Also, I read little bit more, and it seems that 3.5GHz is a achievable for the 920. So you will be fine. The Phenom 2 apparently is better overclockable than the Phenom 1, and your motherboard has the better south bridge, so you are safe.

Yes, but only by a hair. Weren't you going to pick up the 4850 instead of the 4830?

For how long are you going to be without a card?

the 4850 is 186$ instead of 139$ for both the 4830 or 9800GT so I will not take the 4850.

godhandiscen

Ranger X said:
the 4850 is 186$ instead of 139$ for both the 4830 or 9800GT so I will not take the 4850.
I see, but you could still drop the sound card. It is worthless. The ASUS mobo has already pretty good integrated audio.

godhandiscen said:
I see, but you could still drop the sound card. It is worthless. The ASUS mobo has already pretty good integrated audio.

I'd say the PSU is overkill is well. That 700w PSU could run three 9800GTs neither mind just one. Those two adjustments could easily bring the 4850 into budget, which will net you the biggest performance boost due to the GPU bound nature of most games.

godhandiscen

brain_stew said:
I'd say the PSU is overkill is well. That 700w PSU could run three 9800GTs neither mind just one. Those two adjustments could easily bring the 4850 into budget, which will net you the biggest performance boost due to the GPU bound nature of most games.
Ohh good catch. A 550 PSU enough for the 4850. However, he said he wanted to upgrade the GPU later, so It may not be a good choice.

godhandiscen said:
Ohh good catch. A 550 PSU enough for the 4850. However, he said he wanted to upgrade the GPU later, so It may not be a good choice.

New GPUs invariably mean process shrinks. I very much doubt we're ever likely to see a bigger power hog than the GTX 280 for a long time and even that'll run fine on a decent 500w PSU. So long as a multi GPU isn't a definite future plan, then a branded 500w PSU is all you'd ever need.

If you were to go for a 4850 now then at 1680x1050, there'd be very little motivation to upgrade the GPU for a very long time. I'm running mine at 1080p and I'm stunned at the performance of the thing even at such a high resolution.

This thing is wicked fast now! :lol

4 changes in the BIOS... Folks I present to you a 3.6GHz Core i7 920 :D
2rrmpoj.jpg

Primed and now I'm onto the blending.

At a mere 1.25V I peak out at 60C! 60C!! That is insane for a 1.0GHz OC! :lol

Either way--- Planning for a 3.8 clock @ 1.28 if I can swing it. Going to leave this be for a while though. :D

Zyzyxxz

VictimOfGrief said:
This thing is wicked fast now! :lol

At a mere 1.25V I peak out at 60C! 60C!! That is insane for a 1.0GHz OC! :lol

Either way--- Planning for a 3.8 clock @ 1.28 if I can swing it. Going to leave this be for a while though. :D

are you using stock cooler?

Not to sound like a douche but 3.6 is pretty much expected from Core i7, enjoy your system though! I would have upgraded to one if I had the money.

AFreak

Banned
Just got my laptop in today. Loving it so far. ReDLed all the old awesome programs(AVG FRee, VLC, K-Lite, etc.).

Question though. What is a good case for the laptop? I want something that can hold the 17" Laptop + Power Cord + Reg. sized mouse + I want a strap on it for lugging it to school. Thanks for the info in advance.

Oh, and one more thing. it does have HDMI, so i was just wondering if I have to keep my laptop open to use it on the HDTV I've got. I was hoping I could keep it on but shut while I use the TV for most of my PC access. Thanks in advance.

Zyzyxxz said:
are you using stock cooler?

Not to sound like a douche but 3.6 is pretty much expected from Core i7, enjoy your system though! I would have upgraded to one if I had the money.
Thermalright Ultra Extreme :D

My goal is 4GHz on air for 24/7 use... but we'll see. :)

Just got my Logitech MX518 today. Boy is life so much sweeter with so many customisable buttons, an excellent ergomic shape and prefect sensitivity/tracking.

For anyone still undecided about going for a gaming mouse, I thoroughly recommend it, gives you exactly what you'd need without being insanely priced. If you decide to buy one, I recommend downloading UberOptions so that you can customise the buttons to your hearts content.

rc213

brain_stew said:
Just got my Logitech MX518 today. Boy is life so much sweeter with so many customisable buttons, an excellent ergomic shape and prefect sensitivity/tracking.

For anyone still undecided about going for a gaming mouse, I thoroughly recommend it, gives you exactly what you'd need without being insanely priced. If you decide to buy one, I recommend downloading UberOptions so that you can customise the buttons to your hearts content.

Does it have software for Vista/Windows 7?

rc213 said:
Does it have software for Vista/Windows 7?

Yup, using it on Vista x64 with the UberOptions mod for the supplied Setpoint software for unlimited customisation and its working just fine. You can even go so far as to define the function for every button in each individual program if you want. It works wonders for speeding up web browsing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I used uber options to disable everything except the back button and set the side wheel to middle click :lol

I should probably be using my MX Revolution for something better.

Hey guys, i just wanted to stop in to give a hearty recommendation for Maingear computers. I have had their prelude pc for about 8 months now and have had zero problems. I was uncomfortable choosing a boutique since all i have ever bought was Dell before but with Dells build quality tanking i went with Maingear and am glad to say i did.
I will stick with them for future purchases until they give me a reason not too. They make Dell look like a two bit operation even when Dell was a much better company.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
VictimOfGrief said:
Nope, US only. :(

avaya said:
Ahh well, I suppose I'll be bending over for my next upgrade

Actually no, it's available in Europe as well. That's why I'm kinda kicking myself for not waiting for eVGA gtx 295, and wondering whether I should exchange the gainward.

From their terms and conditions:

The EVGA Step-up Program is limited to residentsof the Continental US, Canada and Europe only.

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2

Zyzyxxz

EvilDick34 said:
Hey guys, i just wanted to stop in to give a hearty recommendation for Maingear computers. I have had their prelude pc for about 8 months now and have had zero problems. I was uncomfortable choosing a boutique since all i have ever bought was Dell before but with Dells build quality tanking i went with Maingear and am glad to say i did.
I will stick with them for future purchases until they give me a reason not too. They make Dell look like a two bit operation even when Dell was a much better company.

LOL, this really seems like a shameless attempt at self promotion.

Well not that it affects me since I always build my own computer.

ElfoMan

EvilDick34 said:

Read this:
picture-3.png

My EVGA 8800GTS320 Superclocked just died. I think at least. While booting up there were strange colors and signs all over the screen, when Windows boot logo showed up the pc restarted.

With my girlfriends 9800GT it's all fine.

Now I'm waiting for a response from Amazon where I bought it late 2007. I hope they replace it :) perhaps with a newer one, that would be so great :D

Dell Studio XPS 13

Since my HP laptop is on the brink of becoming a doorstop I'm considering picking this up.

These are my specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA Slim WLED LCD with 1.3 Megapixel Camera
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)t
320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9400M G
Dell Wireless 1515 802.11n Half Mini-Card
BLUETOOTH Dell Wirless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR)

The only thing I'm worried about is the graphics card. My HP cried every time I tried to play video higher than 720p. I'm not a gamer but I record a lot of HD video OTA and I would like to be able to watch them on the go. I'm hoping the 9400 card will be able to play HD video at all resolutions without any hiccups, if not, I'll have to find a way to come up with another $100 for the 9500 card.

Thoughts?

maximum360 said:
Dell Studio XPS 13

Since my HP laptop is on the brink of becoming a doorstop I'm considering picking this up.

These are my specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA Slim WLED LCD with 1.3 Megapixel Camera
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)t
320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9400M G
Dell Wireless 1515 802.11n Half Mini-Card
BLUETOOTH Dell Wirless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR)

The only thing I'm worried about is the graphics card. My HP cried every time I tried to play video higher than 720p. I'm not a gamer but I record a lot of HD video OTA and I would like to be able to watch them on the go. I'm hoping the 9400 card will be able to play HD video at all resolutions without any hiccups, if not, I'll have to find a way to come up with another $100 for the 9500 card.

Thoughts?

The 9400M has hardware decoding for most HD video codecs, regardless your processor is powerful enough to decode them on its own. The 9400M is the best integrated card around, I was really impressed with its performance when trying out my housemates Macbook, its a real step in the right direction for integrated graphics.

hc2 said:
The Dell (plus other manufacturers) and Nvidia GPU's have had problems with overheating in the past on laptops, on the XPS M1330 it was apparently around 30% failure after one year (according to a forum post). Something to check out.
A good laptop GPU comparison chart specifically for gaming:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=336958

Well the 9400M is quite a recent part and its an integrated part. The Nvidia failures concerned older dedicated cards for the most part.

brain_stew said:
The 9400M has hardware decoding for most HD video codecs, regardless your processor is powerful enough to decode them on its own. The 9400M is the best integrated card around, I was really impressed with its performance when trying out my housemates Macbook, its a real step in the right direction for integrated graphics.

Well the 9400M is quite a recent part and its an integrated part. The Nvidia failures concerned older dedicated cards for the most part.

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll probably take the plunge in the next week or so unless I hear about another laptop with similar specs or better that's the same price or cheaper.

Shadow780

alright gaffers unless something bizarre happens this is gonna be my new PC:

XPS 730X, Intel Core i7-920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache)
Aluminum with Clearcoat Chassis
6GB Multi-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
24 inch 2408WFP Ultrasharp Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
640GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader withBluetooth 2.0
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 64-bit Home Premium (English)
USB 6-Button Logitech Mouse
6x Blu-Ray Burner (BD/DVD/CD) w/double layer BD write capability

anything I should watch out for? Thanks...

godhandiscen

How much? I built a right that is a tad faster for about 2k.

Also, unless it is one of those 2 phase watercooled dell's you will not have much room to overclock.

brb in 2 hours. I have a test 2 take, but if you are willing to build your own PC I am 100 percent sure you can save yourself a lot with that budget.

Shadow780

I'm gonna buy from Dell (don't know how to build one LOLME), plus monitor around $3500 I think...

yeah I'm not expert on these things, just good performances, plays high level games all right, then I'm happy.

I do want to know about the graphic card though, is there anything worth concerning?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Caesar III said:
My EVGA 8800GTS320 Superclocked just died. I think at least. While booting up there were strange colors and signs all over the screen, when Windows boot logo showed up the pc restarted.

Now I'm waiting for a response from Amazon where I bought it late 2007. I hope they replace it :) perhaps with a newer one, that would be so great :D
Don't ask Amazon, ask EVGA - they have like 10 year warranties, I think.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shadow780 said:
I'm gonna buy from Dell (don't know how to build one LOLME), plus monitor around $3500 I think...

yeah I'm not expert on these things, just good performances, plays high level games all right, then I'm happy.

I do want to know about the graphic card though, is there anything worth concerning?
I didn't know how to build them either, but managed it.

It's not hard at all. Watch a video on how to install the CPU (extremely easy), read the instructions on the heat sink, put in case; plug in about 5 cables. It's not even remotely difficult. I'd say like 2/5 difficulty. Most of the difficulty comes from being worried about breaking stuff that's much more durable than it looks.

Cheeto

Shadow780 said:

Better be a really nice monitor...that is expensive.

Shadow780

Angry Grimace said:
I didn't know how to build them either, but managed it.

It's not hard at all. Watch a video on how to install the CPU (extremely easy), read the instructions on the heat sink, put in case; plug in about 5 cables. It's not even remotely difficult. I'd say like 2/5 difficulty. Most of the difficulty comes from being worried about breaking stuff that's much more durable than it looks.

That's my main worry, I suck at maintenance, of everything....:lol

Cheeto said:
Better be a really nice monitor...that is expensive.

Not really, 2408WFP from Dell.

Shadow780

Cheeto said:
Then that's an insane price to pay to have it assembled and shitware installed for you.

Yeah....:lol

Well at least it saved my time (5 mins)....after days of trying to research stuff, but just can't put shits together....

garath

Caesar III said:

Someone already said it but yeah, Amazon isn't going to be able to help you here. All you need from Amazon is the receipt. Goto EVGA. They have a great warranty for that. They'll replace it for you np.

Angry Grimace said:
Don't ask Amazon, ask EVGA - they have like 10 year warranties, I think.
I did this afterwards. The 10 year warranty is only dedicated to special series.
I have 2 years and I'm in.

I hope they answer soon and I can send my card in to get a replacement. Perhaps I'll get a 9800GT :) I don't think they have some 8800GTS320 in stock

garath

Caesar III said:
I did this afterwards. The 10 year warranty is only dedicated to special series.
I have 2 years and I'm in.

I hope they answer soon and I can send my card in to get a replacement. Perhaps I'll get a 9800GT :) I don't think they have some 8800GTS320 in stock

They will have a replacement card for you. I just had my old 7900GT replaced last year :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shadow780 said:
That's my main worry, I suck at maintenance, of everything....:lol

Not really, 2408WFP from Dell.
Dell monitors are kickass.

That said... As long as you have their 3 year tech support and calling and shit.
Well whatever.
Just overlook the fact that you could do everything yourself for $2000.

Shadow780 said:
Yeah....:lol

Well at least it saved my time (5 mins)....after days of trying to research stuff, but just can't put shits together....

At the very least, I'd recommend looking into it, read some guides, watch some videos that sort of thing. I'm not a very hands on person at all either but since I properly prepared for it, I found building incredibly easy. We're talking about a potential saving of over a $1000 here, oh and you'll get better, more flexible and upgradeable components as part of the bargain as well and no crapware either. We're all here to help as well, some very experienced posters here, so most questions can be answered quite swiftly.

Shadow780

Hazaro said:
Dell monitors are kickass.

That said... As long as you have their 3 year tech support and calling and shit.
Well whatever.
Just overlook the fact that you could do everything yourself for $2000.

Hey you're more positive than I thought, Thanks~...:D

One more question if anyone know, I'm interested in buying Intensity Pro, that's the card where you can capture and record HD stuffs right?

Can it record PS3/Xbox360 gameplays? I just have to plug 'em in and starts recording?

Shadow780

brain_stew said:
At the very least, I'd recommend looking into it, read some guides, watch some videos that sort of thing. I'm not a very hands on person at all either but since I properly prepared for it, I found building incredibly easy. We're talking about a potential saving of over a $1000 here, oh and you'll get better, more flexible and upgradeable components as part of the bargain as well and no crapware either. We're all here to help as well, some very experienced posters here, so most questions can be answered quite swiftly.

Thanks for the encouragement, I promise I'll look into it more. My mom wants me to get her a PC too, definitely a place start! What are parents for, right?:lol

Angry Grimace

Also, don't forget that if you buy a System Builder copy of Vista or XP, it will come with 10 million warnings that it's horrible/illegal/dangerous/evil to install without the Preinstall Kit.

Ignore that and install it anyways.

FoxSpirit

FoxSpirit said:
So I decided to simply upgrade my 1950pro to a Gainward HD4850 Golden sample. Did quite some research my, PSU seems fine:
http://www.chieftec.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=107&Itemid=305&lang=EN

Okay, just a short update:

Upgraded my E4400@stock;2GHz with 3G DDR2-800 RAM and an X1950pro to a system with a Gainward HD4850 golden sample...

Tripple FPS in most games :D

And my PSU is up to the task, a short Furmark test brings it down to 11.9V with a very short dips to 11.8V every 5 seconds or so on the 12V rail. Hurray!! :)

volt01

Neo Member
I'm trying to build a gaming pc with a budget of $800 my laptop is just to shitty I can't even play tf2 on it. So I decided its time to upgrade.

Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Antec Sonata III(Built in 500W PSU)

ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Radeon HD 4850

4GB Kingston 1066 RAM

640GB WD HDD

LG DVD BURNER(May take from older pc)

Right now I'm looking at about $706+shipping that's all with just newegg prices.
The thing I'm wondering about most is will I be able to do some OCing with that MOBO, I'd like to OC the Q6600 to about 3GHz. I also plan on getting a second fan for the front of the case.

Top Bottom