• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Slavik81

VictimOfGrief said:
Go with the 850 for 285's in SLi, oc'ing both the cards and the i7 just to make sure you don't get a burn out.

Used the 850 on the last system I built and it works perfectly with just enough overhead for OC'ing to be safe.

EDIT: Holy crap!!! The 850 is $170 bucks up north?! :lol Wow..... :lol Anyways--- $130 vs. $170..... yikes!

Either way---- I still think the 850 is worth a look but the 750 would work if you don't plan on OC'ing.
I've been watching the 750 for a few months. I'm actually asking because it's about a month before I plan to build my system, but it's the cheapest its ever been on my watch.

Your answer was quite helpful...

Break down:
Radeon HD 4890 (55nm RV790)

* HD 4890 is slated for launch on April 9th instead of 6th
* Cards have been shipped out to distributors and reviewers already
* 800 stream processors
* 1GB GDDR5 memory on 256-bit memory interface
* Clocks : 850MHz core and 975MHz memory
* Internal benchmarks claim 6% faster than RV770
* Expect to retail at USD$249

GeForce GTX 275 (55nm GT200)

* Expect to launch on April 9th as well
* No card samples yet even for AIC partners
* 240 shader processors
* 896MB GDDR3 memory on 448-bit memory interface
* Clocks : 633MHz core, 1404MHz shader and 1161MHz memory (Not final yet)
* Simulated benchmarks by partners reveals that it is slightly faster than GTX 260
* Expect to retail between US$229-$279

Typo : It is 1404MHz shader and 1161MHz memory

Link : http://vr-zone.com/articles/radeon-hd-4890-vs-geforce-gtx-275-on-apr-9th/6779.html?doc=6779

For those of you waiting.... it's coming.... oh so soon.

The 275 gets 240 shaders, the Core 216 is now the red headed step child of the GTX line.... but the 275 is gimped with Bit interface and lower memory. The 4890.... who knows... bit of a wild card.... but I'm guessing the 4850's and 4870's will continue to sell well with the price cuts coming.

Oh and:
Slavik81 said:
I've been watching the 750 for a few months. I'm actually asking because it's about a month before I plan to build my system, but it's the cheapest its ever been on my watch.

Your answer was quite helpful...

Good deal---- come back to the thread before you buy and layout what you're getting. I've got 4 Core i7 builds under my belt now so anything I can do to help with the build path or upgrade consideration... I'd be glad to help out. :)

NeoGAF's own GDC thread:

Make sure you check it out for all the events, news and such happening @ GDC this week.

One of the stories I'm going to be following closely is Crytek's announcement (and hopefully demo) of the CryEngine 3 for the PS3/Xbox 360 and the PC. Should be good. :D

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Any live streaming type stuff for GDC? :lol

If my paypal money would ever unlock i could order the X3 720BE. Any processors coming out in april or anything to make me regret such a purchase?

Metalic Sand said:
Any live streaming type stuff for GDC? :lol

If my paypal money would ever unlock i could order the X3 720BE. Any processors coming out in april or anything to make me regret such a purchase?
Don't think so. The 950 i7 will show up but hardly boner worthy. AMD wise.... no clue.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
VictimOfGrief said:
Don't think so. The 950 i7 will show up but hardly boner worthy. AMD wise.... no clue.
It has a different steping though, D0, and it allowed some dude get the 3DMark05 world record thanks to the newly enhanced OC'ing potential. For new 920 adopter this is also great news since the 920 is also being updated to the D0 steping which will allow better OC'ing. I mean, not biggie if you already have your 920 at 4.0GHz, but some other people haven't been able to pass 3.4GHz.

GeForce GTX 275 (55nm GT200)

* Expect to launch on April 9th as well
* No card samples yet even for AIC partners
* 240 shader processors
* 896MB GDDR3 memory on 448-bit memory interface
* Clocks : 633MHz core, 1404MHz shader and 1161MHz memory (Not final yet)
* Simulated benchmarks by partners reveals that it is slightly faster than GTX 260
* Expect to retail between US$229-$279

Typo : It is 1404MHz shader and 1161MHz memory

come on now, this isn't that big of a jump from the 216 and i think it's more expensive isn't it?

Coen

I'm on the hunt for a new PC to replace my 5 year old P4 3GHz HT. On a €1000 euro budget, a decent core i7 set-up is out of my reach so I'm going with a X3 720BE. Here's what I got so far:

- AMD Phenom II X3 720 - €149
- GigaByte MA790X-UD4 (AM2+) - €109
- Corsair 4 GB DDR2-800 Kit - €35
- XFX GTX260 XT (Core 216 OC) - €199
- Western Digital WD6400AACS (640GB) - €59
- Samsung SH-S223Q (DVD-burner) - €23
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit - €109
- Antec Sonata III (500watt PSU included) - €119
- Arctic-Cooling Arctic Fan 12 PWM (Extra 120mm fan) - €10
- Acer V243HQ (24' full HD panel) - €177

Which adds up to €989
What do you guys think? That €1000 budget isn't set in stone, so any recommendations on value for money upgrades are welcome, even it's going over budget. Some other question I have concerning this build: what's the deal with AM2+ and AM3 boards? Any particular reason why I should go with an AM3 board? Also, what's the benefit of higher clocked DDR2 RAM? And finally, is that case big enough for my build? Because the PC-builder I've been using on this website I plan to buy it, says it's not an option, but I seriously doubt that.

Thanks in advance!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
come on now, this isn't that big of a jump from the 216 and i think it's more expensive isn't it?
It is basically one of the cards in the GTX295. From experience, each card when OC'd is as good as a GTX280 in resolutions below 1080p (only clear difference is the memory). I would say it is enough of a jump that puts it above the 4890 if the 4890 is really only 6% faster than the 4870.

godhandiscen said:
It is basically one of the cards in the GTX295. From experience, each card when OC'd is as good as a GTX280 in resolutions below 1080p (only clear difference is the memory). I would say it is enough of a jump that puts it above the 4890 if the 4890 is really only 6% faster than the 4870.
My understanding is that the RV790 is 6% more powerful per clock than the RV770, but the 4890 is clocked about 13% faster than the 4870, so the performance gains will be more like ~20% over the stock 4870. The 3DMark scores leaked a couple days ago put it at about 23% faster, which is in the same ballpark.

godhandiscen said:
It has a different steping though, D0, and it allowed some dude get the 3DMark05 world record thanks to the newly enhanced OC'ing potential. For new 920 adopter this is also great news since the 920 is also being updated to the D0 steping which will allow better OC'ing. I mean, not biggie if you already have your 920 at 4.0GHz, but some other people haven't been able to pass 3.4GHz.

Earlier batches of the C0/C1 chips did suck.... so for that I can account for but the from the looks of it, the guys over XS (Xtreme Systems which I frequent) are stating that the only difference with the D0/D1 stepping is possibly L2 cache tinkering and a max OC of 4.2GHz on like 1.25v or something like that depending on the board and chip. The main comment on the 950 is that it's a 3.06GHz chip for ca. ~ $600 bucks which again.... if the 920's prove to be QPI unlocked and good OC'ers, there's no point in getting anything higher than a 920 i7 chip.

brain_stew said:
That looks a very nice setup for the price, the pre overclocked CPU is a definite bonus as I honestly think it makes no sense to run these CPUs at stock but this route means you don't have to make that jump yourself.

I'd noticed that feature, so I'm glad you're confirming that it's a good deal.

djkimothy

So my new Core i7 rig... Wow. I kinda miss my old g4 powerbook. But man... I'm finally able to play warcraft 3 frozen throne at max levels. :lol

Plus I can play Civ 4 without the computer choking! Is Resident Evil going to get a PC release?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
impressive, i hope it isn't a downgrade seeing as it's going to consoles as well...
edit: hey! you promised new avatars!! grrr..... ;)

Well Cry3 engine on the consoles doesn't look as good as Cry2 engine on PC's but it is beyond U3 engine IMO. I would suspect that we'll get a peek at the Cry3 engine on a higher end PC (hopefully) sometime this week.

Also--- I'm re-working some parts of the thread and updating it along with PC Gamer avatars for people. Don't worry, I'm doing a lot of background tasks right now. ;)

VictimOfGrief said:
Well Cry3 engine on the consoles doesn't look as good as Cry2 engine on PC's but it is beyond U3 engine IMO. I would suspect that we'll get a peek at the Cry3 engine on a higher end PC (hopefully) sometime this week.

Also--- I'm re-working some parts of the thread and updating it along with PC Gamer avatars for people. Don't worry, I'm doing a lot of background tasks right now. ;)

so basically cry3 is behind cry2 but ahead of unreal engine? weird....
alright, you're forgiven on the avatars. ;)

Cheeto

Dell home has a 30% coupon good until this thursday on select computer hardware.
Coupon code: 739PKVBXNL?Z3L

Some deals (copy/pasted from Slickdeals):
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz Processor $133 ($129 with DPA). Thanks JeffersJV
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz Processor $154 ($149 with DPA)
* Intel Xeon X3220 2.4 GHz Quad Core Processor $168 ($163 with DPA)
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz Processor $175 ($170 with DPA). Thanks VarmintCong
* BFG Technologies GTX285 OCE 1GB PCI Express Video Card $266 ($258 with DPA). Thanks Meals [Discuss]
* BFG Technologies GTX285 OC2 1GB PCI Express Video Card $280 ($271 with DPA). Thanks Selma [Discuss]
* BFG Technologies GTX285 OCX 1GB PCI Express Video Card $287 ($267 with DPA)

Minsc

Gold Member
djkimothy said:
So my new Core i7 rig... Wow. I kinda miss my old g4 powerbook. But man... I'm finally able to play warcraft 3 frozen throne at max levels. :lol

Plus I can play Civ 4 without the computer choking! Is Resident Evil going to get a PC release?

You're very much more than able to run Frozen Throne :lol, what video card did you end up with again? Resident Evil 5 should hit PCs sometime around August I'd guess, hard to say, but I don't think there's very much doubt Capcom will port it, especially since it sold so well on consoles.

My 1950 Pro has started to die, I think the memory is overheating or going bad, I'm getting weird infinity lines in some games. Damn, well I hope it makes it another 5 or 6 months, or I'll just have to find something cheap & AGP to replace it for a short period until Windows 7 is released.

yacobod

Banned
Cheeto said:
Dell home has a 30% coupon good until this thursday on select computer hardware.
Coupon code: 739PKVBXNL?Z3L

Some deals (copy/pasted from Slickdeals):
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz Processor $133 ($129 with DPA). Thanks JeffersJV
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz Processor $154 ($149 with DPA)
* Intel Xeon X3220 2.4 GHz Quad Core Processor $168 ($163 with DPA)
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz Processor $175 ($170 with DPA). Thanks VarmintCong
* BFG Technologies GTX285 OCE 1GB PCI Express Video Card $266 ($258 with DPA). Thanks Meals [Discuss]
* BFG Technologies GTX285 OC2 1GB PCI Express Video Card $280 ($271 with DPA). Thanks Selma [Discuss]
* BFG Technologies GTX285 OCX 1GB PCI Express Video Card $287 ($267 with DPA)

might have to buy a 285 now :)

anyone know if this works?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i just ordered my first PC build ever :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134790
2GB DDR3 1333

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106266
lite on DVD burner

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320
500GB HD 32MB cache

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
Corsair 400w PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649
X3 720BE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366
AM3 Asus board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119188
Some cheap coolermaster case

Adding a GC in april. This is coming off a 2.6Ghz pentium 4/Nvidia 6800 btw so its like im walking out of the stone age. Does Gaf approve!? :lol

I had to go with 2GB of ram because of it basically going over my budget.

Pulled the trigger on my first full build PC last night. Have a few more things to pickup before it gets here: De-magnetized screw driver set, tape, and sandpaper. I really ope everything goes well I am kinda nervous with all the different things I want to do with my setup.

MWS Natural said:
Pulled the trigger on my first full build PC last night. Have a few more things to pickup before it gets here: De-magnetized screw driver set, tape, and sandpaper. I really ope everything goes well I am kinda nervous with all the different things I want to do with my setup.

Also I will (as well as you should as well) shoot up a prayer that you don't have to RMA anything. I had to on this build and it was hell...... best of luck man. :D

yacobod

Banned
i just bought my components for my rig sans a new cpu cooler and sound card

went with
core i7 920.....................................279.99 (newegg)
asus mobo......................................239.99 (newegg)
corsair 750 w psu..............................99.99 (amazon)
antec p182 case..............................129.99 (newegg)
6gb corsair ddr3..............................100.00 (newegg)
evga nvidia 260gtx...........................219.99 (newegg)
(2x) WD Caviar Black 640gb HD..........79.99 ea. (amazon)
samsung dvd/dvdr.............................24.99 (newegg)

$1255 total

i plan on OC'ing, what would be my 2 best options here for a good air based cooling solution?

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a new vidoecard for my computer, I was thinking of getting a GeForce 260gtx, but my current PSU is only 450W, and the 260 needs 500W.

Here is my current system:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 775 MB
GeForce 8500 GT
2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Corsair 2GB DDR2
Antec 450 W PSU

Is it worth it to get a 260+ new powersupply? Or should I wait a while?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Quadrophenic said:
I have been kicking around the idea of buying a new vidoecard for my computer, I was thinking of getting a GeForce 260gtx, but my current PSU is only 450W, and the 260 needs 500W.

GeForce 8500 GT
2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Corsair 2GB DDR2
Antec 450 W PSU

Those recommended specs for GC's are never right IMO. Im sure you could run it on the 450W. I would only be worried about it if you had alot of HD's ect...

Quadrophenic said:

GeForce 8500 GT
2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Corsair 2GB DDR2
Antec 450 W PSU

How many HDD's? How many fans? How many CD/DVD drives do you have?

yacobod

Banned
is the thermalright ultra-120 the best bet for air cooling, looks like either that or a noctua

my system was posted a few pots above

mr stroke

looks like the 4890's are already shipping-
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=GA-4890GB1#
GA-4890GB1_LG.gif

not bad @ only $250

anyone going to bite?

JudgeN

yacobod said:
is the thermalright ultra-120 the best bet for air cooling, looks like either that or a noctua

Correct, I personally went with the Noctua NH-U12P cause I heard the Ultra 120 had to be "lapped" aka sanding it down due to the uneven base. Not sure if its true but I read it a ton on forums when I was researching CPU fans about 4 months ago.

Quadrophenic said:
The PSU came with the Antec Sonata II case I bought, I can't find that case on Newegg anymore. When I get home I can open it up to see if the PSU has a model number, though I am pretty sure it was 450W, not 430W

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjYy

Thats the case

Check what amps it can deliver on its 12V rail. If its 30a or above, you'll be fine, anything below that and whilst you'll probably be alright, there's no guarantees. The actual wattage figure tells you very little about the quality of the PSU, its not unheard of (infact its quite common) for a quality 380w rated PSU to comfortably outperform a crappy no name PSU witha rating as high as 600W or more.

Upgrade time...

I have a PC with

Q6600 (at default speeds). I can't remember what kind of cooler I have (but it was an aftermarket)...haven't overclocked it...as I don't want to go in change...test...change...test...

2 GB DDR2
750 (it might be a crappy Seagate)
9800 GTX
Gigabyte mobo (cheap...no Firewire support)
XiFi fatality
750 PC Power and Cooling
Coolermaster 690

I'm probably going to upgrade the ram and install Vista Ultimate 64...and probably have VM Ware Server running on it also.

But my biggest concerns are the graphic card and power supply.

I'm thinking of the 4870...but wouldn't mind seeing what the 4890 can do or the new replacement of the 260.

The other concern is the power supply. The power supply works great...but the thickness and number of cables makes cable management a chore. I'm thinking of getting a modular power supply.

I'd just like some advice to help nudge me in the right direction...or what people are feeling in the choices

The more research I do the more stuff I need to buy =/

Fan Controller
HDD cooler
Mosfet heatsinks

I am really worried about keeping the temps down in my lanbox lite. Which is also why I plan to lap the heatsink & CPU, I read it can lower temps dramtically.

mr stroke said:
looks like the 4890's are already shipping-
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=GA-4890GB1#
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/GA-4890GB1_LG.gif[IMG]

not bad @ only $250

anyone going to bite?[/QUOTE]
Not right away, but I'll probably get one if I buy my rig in the next month or two (which I'm hoping to do). I want to see reviews/benchmarks first, but it looks promising so far.

[quote=Spiderjericho]The other concern is the power supply. The power supply works great...but the thickness and number of cables makes cable management a chore. I'm thinking of getting a modular power supply.

I'd just like some advice to help nudge me in the right direction...or what people are feeling in the choices[/quote]
If it were me I would keep your current PSU. Cable management can be a PITA, but your current one works fine, and unless you do a lot of tinkering, you'll only see the difference on a few occasions.

I'd put the money toward something with more apparent effects (like springing for the better graphics card).

yacobod said:

Yes the TRUE 120-Extreme is what I run and it's one of the best coolers out there. I've got my 920 OC'ed to 3.8GHz right now and my idle temps are around 40C (which is great). Just make sure you have some good fans in your case to help with the cooling. I think in time I'm going to replace my stock Thermalright fan with a Scythe fan just because but it's working great for now, so no need.

As far as the "lapping" goes.... I didn't lap my and it's working perfectly. Lapping is really only for those super picky guys about having "custom" or "the best" of whatever they have. I can honestly say though that it fits squarely on the CPU and cools the thing quite nicely.

MWS Natural said:
The more research I do the more stuff I need to buy =/

Fan Controller
HDD cooler
Mosfet heatsinks

I am really worried about keeping the temps down in my lanbox lite. Which is also why I plan to lap the heatsink & CPU, I read it can lower temps dramtically.

You don't need a fan controller (Per se) but it's quite helpful to have one on my system. I've got the Scythe-K02 which controls up to 4 fans. Just make sure when you buy your fans that they are variable speed. Most of the time people buy fans which aren't, put in the fan controller and are like... "WTF?!?!?!?!" So don't make that mistake.

HDD cooler--- just make sure you've got a fan blowing on them in some fashion. As far as the heatsink is concerned, are you talking about getting an aftermarket one? The stock i7 heatsink can handle about 3.4 or so on air but then after that really sucks at cooling the CPU. Checkout either FrozenCPU.com (made 3+ orders from them, very fast and dependable) or Performance-PCs.com for aftermarket coolers.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey guys, without all of this OnLive talk, I'm wondering if you desktop gurus could build me the cheapest possible gaming rig, that's set for 720p max gaming.

rohlfinator said:
If it were me I would keep your current PSU. Cable management can be a PITA, but your current one works fine, and unless you do a lot of tinkering, you'll only see the difference on a few occasions.

I'd put the money toward something with more apparent effects (like springing for the better graphics card).

Guess I'll take your advice. It's just such a mess in there... If the cables were a bit thinner...or the case a bit wider...I'd have it completely neat in there. Haven't tried electric tape...

Any other suggestions for cable management? I have zip ties (in two varieties for small cables and for tying together several).

Guess ram and video card.

djkimothy

Minsc said:
You're very much more than able to run Frozen Throne :lol, what video card did you end up with again? Resident Evil 5 should hit PCs sometime around August I'd guess, hard to say, but I don't think there's very much doubt Capcom will port it, especially since it sold so well on consoles.

My 1950 Pro has started to die, I think the memory is overheating or going bad, I'm getting weird infinity lines in some games. Damn, well I hope it makes it another 5 or 6 months, or I'll just have to find something cheap & AGP to replace it for a short period until Windows 7 is released.

I ended up getting a radeon sapphire 4870 with 1 GB of ram. That should give me plenty of room. I always wanted to play mass effect so i might get that sometime soon on the PC. Right now I have nothing that really taxes my system. Probably Civ 4. Shit even XP must ask permission to be in the presence of the i7. Couldn't get Vista since no retailer here had an OEM copy. And I'm not paying $200+ for an OS. :/

I have plenty of games (2 or 3?) to hold me off if Re5 gets ported. In either case, I'm really waiting for Alan Wake.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
K.Jack said:
Hey guys, without all of this OnLive talk, I'm wondering if you desktop gurus could build me the cheapest possible gaming rig, that's set for 720p max gaming.
You should put together a real computer so when the service sucks or isn't released you'll have something to fall back on. :D

djkimothy

Hazaro said:
You should put together a real computer so when the service sucks or isn't released you'll have something to fall back on. :D

Listen to him, for less than 1400 CANADIAN! You can build a Core i7 computer that rapes anything out there. Less if you're in the states, stupid exchange rate...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Akim said:
I need some advice. Best video card for around 350-400 bucks?
Do you have a 1920x1080(1200) monitor and need Crysis at Very High settings?

What games are you playing it with?

Top Bottom