• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
garath said:
The GS. I don't even think they had the XT when I bought the GS.

It's definitely a good mousepad. Huge surface area and lighting fast tracking with the hard plastic shell, I just prefer the Func when put head to head.
The GS gets worn faster and isn't as smooth as the XT.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/419/1016419/kylies-ratpadz-gives-mice-one-smooth-ride

This guy uses the mouse I have as a reference and states he likes the XT > the 1030.

I have a semi-old pad that is pretty worn for a plastic one, much like a worn GS I'd imagine.

I'll probably order an XT when I send my mouse back since I've abused it too much. :D

The XT is also made in America, so bonus points for that.

Soulstar

I just put the together my new computer but neither my old monitor or the new monitor will work. I managed to get my old monitor to work sometimes but when it does my computer would sometimes randomly freeze or restart. What should I be looking at to solve this?

I've been having some graphical issues in two games recently (the only ones that I have installed right now). In Diablo 2, I've been getting the problem where my color would change. The thing is I turned on all of the compatibility related options that Blizzard suggested to turn on in order to fix the problem and it only happens in the Battle.net lobby and Main Menu. In World of Warcraft, my screen freezes for a few seconds at a time and today I had textures from another player stretch across the screen.

What could be causing this? Overheating? Bad video ram? Bad drivers? Or maybe it's my Vista install since I reinstalled it recently?

Would running a benchmarking tool, such as FurMark, be a good way to determine if it has to do with the hardware?

kinggroin

Banned
Ok, quick question here:

I've currently got installed, a core 2 duo conroe 1.65ghz @ 3.2ghz stable.

Want to upgrade, and I've got $240 to spend.

What should I get? :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Here is a good evaluation of x58 mobos on the $200-$300 range. Asus wins.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-motherboard-i7,2252-21.html

x58-comp2-charts30.png

I am actually dissapointed at the eVGA board. It is a total underperformer when it comes to OC'ing. It is insulting how people defend it in their forums. eVGA makes awesome cards (I own one), but that is about it.

kinggroin said:
Ok, quick question here:

I've currently got installed, a core 2 duo conroe 1.65ghz @ 3.2ghz stable.

Want to upgrade, and I've got $240 to spend.

What should I get? :D
What are the rest of your system specs?

godhandiscen

kinggroin said:
2GB DDR 2 800mhz
Saphire 4870 toxic edition
windows xp (moving to 7 if there are performance increases)
80Gb Raptor
Save your money, buy games. You are good for a year or so. Unless you want to change platform for very minimal gains, I don't recommend an upgrade.

kinggroin

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Save your money, buy games. You are good for a year or so. Unless you want to change platform for very minimal gains, I don't recommend an upgrade.

....gah!

I already sold my Cpu though :lol

Was thinking of getting an e8400 and running at 4ghz.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
kinggroin said:
....gah!

I already sold my Cpu though :lol

Was thinking of getting an e8400 and running at 4ghz.
3.0 and 4.0 don't do much in games.

I'd just keep the 3.2 without the hassle.

My sidegrade to my E7200 3.8Ghz instead of keeping my E6600 3.2Ghz I don't think was worth the hassle.

kinggroin

Banned
Hazaro said:
3.0 and 4.0 don't do much in games.

I'd just keep the 3.2 without the hassle.

My sidegrade to my E7200 3.8Ghz instead of keeping my E6600 3.2Ghz I don't think was worth the hassle.

You're definitely right.

Looking at the benchies over the net, it seems a majority of todays games would benefit more from going sli than increasing raw CPU speed.

Of course, if I did that, I'd probably have to upgrade the cpu anyway...

yacobod

Banned
my desktop at home looks to be on its last legs, i was hoping to delay buying a new pc until i got my tax return, but it looks like i might have to pull the trigger a little sooner than anticipated

i was planning on building a pc almost identical to "the sweeter spot" on the latest builds on techreport, but i toyed around last night with maybe going with an amd phenom 2 build to save some cash

what says gaf?

Ashhong

can somebody help me understand graphics card speeds and things? i have an asus eah4870 512mb card, and im using the smartdoctor utility that it comes with to help control the fan speed and things like that. its supposed to save energy when im not using it, etc etc. thing is i think it might not be working correctly, and actually handicapping me when im playing games.

i dont know how good it should be, but my l4d goes down to 40 fps quite easily. i thought i had bought a good setup to be running this stuff smooooooooooooth.

anyway, SmartDoctor is on auto control and right now it says "Engine: 750 mhz and Memory: 3600 mhz" what is this?? is it like underclocking my card or something? i can move the sliders up to 850 and 4600 respectively.

also, anybody have experience with ATI CCC not opening? it has an error everytime i try to open it. tried some solutions on google and they didnt work, ended up uninstalling it. first custom machine + vista 64 is a fucking headache.

Ashhong said:
can somebody help me understand graphics card speeds and things? i have an asus eah4870 512mb card, and im using the smartdoctor utility that it comes with to help control the fan speed and things like that. its supposed to save energy when im not using it, etc etc. thing is i think it might not be working correctly, and actually handicapping me when im playing games.

i dont know how good it should be, but my l4d goes down to 40 fps quite easily. i thought i had bought a good setup to be running this stuff smooooooooooooth.

anyway, SmartDoctor is on auto control and right now it says "Engine: 750 mhz and Memory: 3600 mhz" what is this?? is it like underclocking my card or something? i can move the sliders up to 850 and 4600 respectively.

also, anybody have experience with ATI CCC not opening? it has an error everytime i try to open it. tried some solutions on google and they didnt work, ended up uninstalling it. first custom machine + vista 64 is a fucking headache.

what are your other specs?

CPU
RAM
etc...

Wow----- just wow....

Finally got around to OC'ing my 920 to 4GHz.....

Crysis Warhead frames with my 285
Stock : 30-45 tops
4.0GHz: 45-60+

Un-freaking real....... :D

After doing a bit of research on the net it seems to me there is really no reason for the average consumer/gamer to go with an i7 CPU. Unless you are heavy into design work from all the bench marks I have seen Phenom II is an incredibly better value.

godhandiscen

MWS Natural said:
After doing a bit of research on the net it seems to me there is really no reason for the average consumer/gamer to go with an i7 CPU. Unless you are heavy into design work from all the bench marks I have seen Phenom II is an incredibly better value.
Unless paired with an AM3 board the Phenom II has not upgrade path. Just remember that.

Soulstar said:
I just put the together my new computer but neither my old monitor or the new monitor will work. I managed to get my old monitor to work sometimes but when it does my computer would sometimes randomly freeze or restart. What should I be looking at to solve this?
try remounting your video card

djkimothy

So I plan on building a new PC VERY soon. The CPU and motherboard that I'm building this around is:

-Intel Core i7 920
-GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R X58 (seems to be the choice for budget users wanting to get into Core i7)

Anyways, what kind of flexibility would I get for overclocking? I'm seeing people push to 3.8 GHz. I'd like to see how far I can go, I just don't want to go too crazy with cooling systems.

So say if I used the stock fans for the CPU and case (which is this) would I have adequate thermal conditions to overclock? If not what steps would I need to do?

I also plan on getting a radeon 4870 512 for the gpu.

Thanks a bunch.

Ryu1999

djkimothy said:
So I plan on building a new PC VERY soon. The CPU and motherboard that I'm building this around is:

-Intel Core i7 920
-GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R X58 (seems to be the choice for budget users wanting to get into Core i7)

Anyways, what kind of flexibility would I get for overclocking? I'm seeing people push to 3.8 GHz. I'd like to see how far I can go, I just don't want to go too crazy with cooling systems.

So say if I used the stock fans for the CPU and case (which is this) would I have adequate thermal conditions to overclock? If not what steps would I need to do?

Thanks a bunch.

Exact same setup I got. I got it stable to 3.4 ghz on stock cooling with voltage at ~1.21. Runs SORTA warm as it idles at 50 degrees C. I'm planning on swinging by Microcenter later today to pick up either a Scythe Mugen 2 or a Xigmatek cooler

godhandiscen said:
Unless paired with an AM3 board the Phenom II has not upgrade path. Just remember that.

Every current AM3 Phenom has worked in an AM2+ board, any word on this stopping?

Edit:

djkimothy said:

-Intel Core i7 920

Thanks a bunch.

I wouldn't even run a stock i7 setup wit standard cooling. Even a cheap $20/$30 cooler with some heatpipes can work absolute wonders.

djkimothy said:

-Intel Core i7 920

Thanks a bunch.

For your OC you'll want a TRUE or better for cooling. My 920 @ 3.8 idles around 40C; @ 4.0GHz idles around 44C The UD3R is good but you will be bottlenecked for Ram in the future as I believe that board only have 4 slots. Something to think about at least. The Antec 300 is a good case as well, just make sure you get some good fans that push a lot of air.

Good pick on the vid card as well, but as others have noted, wait a couple more weeks for the newer cards to be released to pick one up for cheaper.

Zyzyxxz

VictimOfGrief said:
Yes--- oddly enough the reason I invested in buying one is I noticed my desk surface was wearing and my mice was getting some real nasty crap on the bottom of it. The Ratpadz XT has one of the slickest surfaces for gaming and use so I'm looking forward to it.

I tested out my new MS Sidewinder in TF2 today and can switch between 800 DPI and 2000 DPI when sniping in TF2 and it makes a WORLD of difference. :D Such a good purchase.

Yeah I think the XT is pretty recent. Either way it sounds brilliant and that Func pad looks great as well.

+1, spend the extra money and get the XT over the GS.

order from www.Hardforum.com message boards to get its for $20 w/ free shpping.

I love mine and it hasnt worn out a bit and it makes such a huge difference, at first its kinda of weird since the mouse glides so smooth but I play alot of TF2 and it definitely makes gaming much less stressful for your mouse.

Hazaro said:
Cards should always be showcased by Leadtek, they have the best designs imo ;)

Also here is another fantastic article from TechReport on what CPU you should buy.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16570/11

Probably tack that onto the main post, make it bold or big or something.

Some nice charts on there, they really do a great job breaking the processors down. It really allows you to single out what tasks are important to you.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16570/3
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16570/4

Going forward I wonder how much developers will take advantage of multithreading, seems like it really won't take off fully until the next set of processor's.

How does new keyboards hold up against wear and tear? My laptops keyboard doesn't show any improvement in durability compared to earlier laptops, so im quite sure there hasn't been any major breakthroughs here?

I'm specially curious about logitech's boards, as i just ordered an logitech illuminated keyboard and might be having second thoughts. Does anybody have any experience with any of the dinovo models over a longer time?

Hazaro said:
Cards should always be showcased by Leadtek, they have the best designs imo ;)

Also here is another fantastic article from TechReport on what CPU you should buy.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16570/11

Probably tack that onto the main post, make it bold or big or something.

The x3 720 offers some insane bang for buck for any gamer out there. The fact it has massive overclocking bandwidth only sweetens the deal, its definitely my pick for anyone that can't afford the step up to core i7.

djkimothy

Thanks for your input guys. I'll look into cooling solution in the near future. Right now I'll run it stock. I gotta recoup from the huge purchase I just made. :( It just swallowed up an entire pay cheque and then some.

Anyways, I ended up with the 4870 1 GB instead of the 512. I found it on sale and it was the same price as the 512. :/ So I had to bite.

I am aware of the 4 slot ram specs. I currently have 3 GB, good for now... I cross the bridge when i come to it when I need more ram.

Lemme just say this was my first built PC and it was such a bitch to put together. ;lol I understand now the value of pre-built machines. But at least I had full control of the specs.

I already miss my Mac.

Anyone got any idea for a graphics card upgrade to run TF2 on high settings? Wanna spend less than $100.

Pentium D CPU 3.00GHZ
3.25 GB RAM
375w PSU

Also, I wanna hook up both my monitors (1900x1200) and (1280x1024)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
djkimothy said:
Lemme just say this was my first built PC and it was such a bitch to put together. ;lol I understand now the value of pre-built machines. But at least I had full control of the specs.

I already miss my Mac.
What did you run into trouble with?

I just wanted to run this system by you guys. My dad suggested it for my next PC (he's helping me buy).

http://computershopper.com/desktops/reviews/cyberpower-gamer-dragon-9500

This is compared to a Gateway rig I posted a few weeks ago, with an Intel i7 instead of the AMD and a GeForce gfx card instead of the ATI Radeon 9700. Is it like Pepsi vs. Coke? I think they're roughly equivalent, but I really don't know very much about this stuff. What are the pros and cons?

And, are computer games going to be on Blu Ray eventually?

djkimothy said:
Thanks for your input guys. I'll look into cooling solution in the near future. Right now I'll run it stock. I gotta recoup from the huge purchase I just made. :( It just swallowed up an entire pay cheque and then some.

Anyways, I ended up with the 4870 1 GB instead of the 512. I found it on sale and it was the same price as the 512. :/ So I had to bite.

I am aware of the 4 slot ram specs. I currently have 3 GB, good for now... I cross the bridge when i come to it when I need more ram.

I already miss my Mac.

leave those childish things behind. ;)

whiterabbit said:
I just wanted to run this system by you guys. My dad suggested it for my next PC (he's helping me buy).

This is compared to a Gateway rig I posted a few weeks ago, with an Intel i7 instead of the AMD and a GeForce gfx card instead of the ATI Radeon 9700. Is it like Pepsi vs. Coke? I think they're roughly equivalent, but I really don't know very much about this stuff. What are the pros and cons?

you dont need the blu ray drive. if it's cyberpower, you can configure it with a dvd drive. it'll save you 100 dollars.

godhandiscen

brain_stew said:
Every current AM3 Phenom has worked in an AM2+ board, any word on this stopping?

Edit:

I wouldn't even run a stock i7 setup wit standard cooling. Even a cheap $20/$30 cooler with some heatpipes can work absolute wonders.
AM3 Pehnom II's get a performance penalty on AM2+ boards, and yes, compatibility will stop in the future. I thought this was common sense. I read many AMD roadmaps back during Q4 of 208, thought I dunno if these have changed.

Anyway, so I am thinking about purchasing V10 over a True 120 Black. With a good installation the V10 seems to have cooler temps on load, now the question is wheter I will be able to install it well. Sexy pics of the V10 below:

19517_61f95cef.jpg

Yeah, I know the True 120 is the universal choice, and is also way less expensive, but I also like to experiment, and be a tad different and go for the "quirky" things.

I have also chosen my new case. The Lian-Li PCx500:

lian-li_x500.jpg

I'll be purchasing at lest one of these, or both depending on wheter or not I go on a second date with a girl I just met. lol.

djkimothy

Hazaro said:
What did you run into trouble with?

It was nothing too serious, it was just managing the net work of cables in the box. Luckily Antec provided 4 zip ties in the case. So I managed to group wires together in a way that they aren't touching hot components.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what resolution???? and is this an SLI 285?

Some screens of Crysis Warhead on my rig:
2nw3guw.jpg

14mrxoz.jpg

104geon.jpg

289jz38.jpg

2d11c1d.jpg

If you couldn't tell--- 19" 1440x900 for the resolution with a custom config.

This mind you was on my Core i7 @ 3.8GHz, Corsair Dominator 1600 Memory @ 1520GHz, single GTX 285 @ 672 GPU Clock, 1255Ghz Memory and 1531 Shader Memory.

Either way.... the FPS hardly ever (if ever) dip below 45FPS now which is just insane. Also since the addition of my WD Black 640GB drive, levels load in about 23 seconds. :lol

Either way--- I'm loving my rig. :D

godhandiscen

Congrats Victim. I am pretty sure I couldn't pull that FPS since SLI at that resolution would add a penalty instead instead of an improvement. Hopefully I manage to OC' my processor up to 3.8 though. I think it is very fitting that the thread creator has the most badass rig. lol

spermatic cord said:
Anyone got any idea for a graphics card upgrade to run TF2 on high settings? Wanna spend less than $100.

Pentium D CPU 3.00GHZ
3.25 GB RAM
375w PSU

Also, I wanna hook up both my monitors (1900x1200) and (1280x1024)

4670, anything more is going to be CPU bottlenecked, really.

That's $60 after MIR, perfect for your needs, especially due to its very low power consumption. TF2 @ 1280x1024 should be as smooth as butter.

godhandiscen said:
AM3 Pehnom II's get a performance penalty on AM2+ boards, and yes, compatibility will stop in the future. I thought this was common sense. I read many AMD roadmaps back during Q4 of 208, thought I dunno if these have changed.

Well that's not something I'd be concerned about, I've seen nothing suggest its more than 5% and a lot more suggest its even less. Phenom iis barely need the bandwidth of high end DDR2 nevermind DDR3.

It'd be good to know how long AM2+ will be supported for but I'm not sure where that information is. Regardless, I'd still recommend a Phenom ii setup over Core 2 as the performance: price really seems to be there ( a long with OCing headroom) and at least there are "some" upgrade options, perhaps a lot.

whiterabbit said:

That looks a very nice setup for the price, the pre overclocked CPU is a definite bonus as I honestly think it makes no sense to run these CPUs at stock but this route means you don't have to make that jump yourself.

besiktas1

Okie dokie guys I need serious help,

After raging out many times with my current piece of shit laptop I think it's about time I got a new one...

I use mainly: Adobe Premiere + Encore + Photoshop, 3DS Max and the constant crashing is made me sad :(

but also I may game on it once in a while,

So I was wondering what should I go for? Are the new i7 comps worth it?

I want the best pc I can buy/make (never made one before) for around £600-700, I'm guessing I need lots of RAM and a fast CPU, plus a decent graphics card...

What do you guys recommend?

Esperado

Anyone know of a good wireless adapter that doesn't use the RT61 chipset and works well with Vista x64? Right now I have a WMP54G and I noticed my computer locking up the past couple days and narrowed it down to the wireless adapter. I rolled back my drivers to the Ralink 2.0.3.0 as opposed to the 2.1.3.0. The old drivers work, but there are connection problems sometimes and they aren't as fast. Right now I'm kind of losing hope with Ralink because it's been over 3 month's since the drivers first appeared on their website and there has been no fix, which is strange for a card that is so widespread. I mean, I looked up 6 cards on newegg from different manufacturers and they all had the RT61 chipset. Are USB wireless adapters viable?

Slavik81 said:
How's this power supply for a SLI GeForce 285 GTX, Core i7 system?

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Go with the 850 for 285's in SLi, oc'ing both the cards and the i7 just to make sure you don't get a burn out.

Used the 850 on the last system I built and it works perfectly with just enough overhead for OC'ing to be safe.

EDIT: Holy crap!!! The 850 is $170 bucks up north?! :lol Wow..... :lol Anyways--- $130 vs. $170..... yikes!

Either way---- I still think the 850 is worth a look but the 750 would work if you don't plan on OC'ing.

Top Bottom