• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
VictimOfGrief said:
The 512MB 4850's and 4870's should've have already dropped. It's the 1GB's that are still pulling a premium.

Im not seeing any. All the 512MB ones are still $170+ on newegg. So much for a price drop.

Metalic Sand said:
Im not seeing any. All the 512MB ones are still $170+ on newegg. So much for a price drop.
Well it will take time.... I know the article said it would be shortly after the announcement however it seems ATI doesn't want to be losing profit margins given the fact that the 4850/4870 512MB cards are still selling so well and Nvidia hasn't released anything new. I suspect that once the new ATI cards hit in April, the 4850/4870 cards will drop.

VictimOfGrief said:
Well it will take time.... I know the article said it would be shortly after the announcement however it seems ATI doesn't want to be losing profit margins given the fact that the 4850/4870 512MB cards are still selling so well and Nvidia hasn't released anything new. I suspect that once the new ATI cards hit in April, the 4850/4870 cards will drop.

what are we gonna see in April?

Esperado

Metalic Sand said:

I read an article that said their partners don't want to drop the price because they think the 4870 should be directly competing with the GTX 260. Which I really can't understand because I feel like ATI is trying to bury the competition and sell a boatload of cards, but their partners seem to be just fine going head to head and selling less at a higher profit.

Ashhong

JoseDFrog said:
I have this wireless router http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CEYYFK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I need a pci, pci express card, or usb wireless receiver for my desktop. Is there anyone you guys recommend.

i dont know about its compatibility with routers, but i recently went through 3 different PCI wireless adapters. had a 50$ belkin one from bestbuy that gave me 3/5 bars. went to frys and got an airlink card for 10 bucks and a better "150N" card for only 15 bucks and i get 4/5 bars with the latter. i recommend that. working like a champ.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what are we gonna see in April?
The rumor is that they're releasing these cards in April or May (April 6 seems to be the most recent guess):

RV740 (40nm):
4750 - $100, 1GB GDDR3 - performance between 4830 and 4850 but lower power consumption
4770 - $120, 512MB GDDR5 - 4850-ish performance?

RV790 (55nm):
4890 - $200, 512MB GDDR5 - basically an overclocked 4870
4890 OC - $300, 1GB GDDR5 - clocked higher than the 4890

Ryu1999

Got a whole new system that blows through everything

Intel i7 920 : 229 from microcenter
6gb Wintec DDR3-1600 Ram: 67.00 (ridic deal on newegg)
Gigabyte EX58-UD3r: 185 (after MIR)
Corsair 400w Power supply: 30.00
ATI 4870 1gb: 165.00 ([H]ardforum's FS/FT forum)

Total: 676.00 :D :D :D

Reused hard drives, tv tuners, optical drives, and case (Antec p182)

PCSX2 runs ZOE2 full speed now, where on my previous Opteron 165 (@ 2.5 ghz) chugged at maybe 15 fps.

Irulan

Neo Member
rohlfinator said:
The rumor is that they're releasing these cards in April or May (April 6 seems to be the most recent guess):

RV740 (40nm):
4750 - $100, 1GB GDDR3 - performance between 4830 and 4850 but lower power consumption
4770 - $120, 512MB GDDR5 - 4850-ish performance?

RV790 (55nm):
4890 - $200, 512MB GDDR5 - basically an overclocked 4870
4890 OC - $300, 1GB GDDR5 - clocked higher than the 4890

It's not an overclocked 4870, it's an improved design.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Irulan said:
It's not an overclocked 4870, it's an improved design.
That is what TheInquirer.net said. However, time and time again the Inquirer has been proven to be overly optimistic when it comes to ATI.

godhandiscen said:
That is what TheInquirer.net said. However, time and time again the Inquirer has been proven to be overly optimistic when it comes to ATI.

The fact is, no one is quite sure yet, pointless speculating when the answer will be revealed in a very short time anyway.

Now for the reveal of one very awesome card. Zotac's energy efficient 9800GT looks incredibly tasty, you're getting insane power packed into a card without the need for any external power plug. This is literally the perfect card for all those new low cost Dell and HP owners that want gaming performance but lack a PSU with a PCIe power connector. The 8800GT lives on and finds a new niche to fill. :bow:

5a.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/88466/Zotac_Introduces_Energy_Efficient_GeForce_9800_GT_ECO.html

Ryu1999 said:
Got a whole new system that blows through everything

Intel i7 920 : 229 from microcenter
6gb Wintec DDR3-1600 Ram: 67.00 (ridic deal on newegg)
Gigabyte EX58-UD3r: 185 (after MIR)
Corsair 400w Power supply: 30.00
ATI 4870 1gb: 165.00 ([H]ardforum's FS/FT forum)

Total: 676.00 :D :D :D

Reused hard drives, tv tuners, optical drives, and case (Antec p182)

PCSX2 runs ZOE2 full speed now, where on my previous Opteron 165 (@ 2.5 ghz) chugged at maybe 15 fps.
Uhh--- boy--- if you plan on OC'ing your proc, I would've gotten at least a 550W PSU.... looks great though.

gamerecks said:
So, with these new cards, will there be a price drop on current ones? I want to get a second 4870 1gb
Yes. It seems that we aren't going to see anything until April / May time frame for the current crop of 4850/4870's to drop in price.

In other news....

GTX 285 is enroute and due here tomorrow. Also purchased a view other items:
WD 640GB Black 7200.11 Drive $79 bucks @ Amazon
Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse - $52 bucks @ Amazon
RatpadzXT Mouse pad over @ [H]ardforums. Click link, then click on Ratpadz.com link for $5 bucks off. Free shipping too! :D

Going to be moving onto Windows 7 once I get the drive tomorrow and no looking back to Vista. My 750GB drive will finally get retired back to it's backup drive status and my system will finally be done. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VictimOfGrief said:
Yes. It seems that we aren't going to see anything until April / May time frame for the current crop of 4850/4870's to drop in price.

In other news....

GTX 285 is enroute and due here tomorrow. Also purchased a view other items:
WD 640GB Black 7200.11 Drive $79 bucks @ Amazon
Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse - $52 bucks @ Amazon
RatpadzXT Mouse pad over @ [H]ardforums. Click link, then click on Ratpadz.com link for $5 bucks off. Free shipping too! :D

Going to be moving onto Windows 7 once I get the drive tomorrow and no looking back to Vista. My 750GB drive will finally get retired back to it's backup drive status and my system will finally be done. :)
Let me know your impressions on the mousepad

VictimOfGrief said:
GTX 285 is enroute and due here tomorrow.

It's a great card. I'm running mine in Windows 7, and aside from the driver install issue - for some reason the EVGA type isn't recognized by Windows, you just need to grab the Vista 64 package from Nvidia, which includes W7 drivers - it's great. CUDA average encode speed for 720x480 is 160fps with Badaboom, roughly. :lol

Zyzyxxz

brain_stew said:
The fact is, no one is quite sure yet, pointless speculating when the answer will be revealed in a very short time anyway.

Now for the reveal of one very awesome card. Zotac's energy efficient 9800GT looks incredibly tasty, you're getting insane power packed into a card without the need for any external power plug. This is literally the perfect card for all those new low cost Dell and HP owners that want gaming performance but lack a PSU with a PCIe power connector. The 8800GT lives on and finds a new niche to fill. :bow:

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-03-17/5a.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/88466/Zotac_Introduces_Energy_Efficient_GeForce_9800_GT_ECO.html

that's really sweet, perfect for an HTPC

Zyzyxxz said:
that's really sweet, perfect for an HTPC

Yup, there's many situations that were just begging for this card. The 4670 was the previous best aternative but this is a very significant increase in performance and its 2D power draw should be even less than that of the 4670. My only concern would be that such a tiny fan may be a recipe for a noisy card, but hopefully that's not the case.

nib95

Banned
Just bought a batch of new parts! Runs like a dream.

Vista 64 Home Premium
Intel i7 920 (OC'd to 3.6ghz @1.25v)
Asus PT6 Deluxe
OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333mhz (7-7-7-20) 3 x 2GB ram
XFX GTX 260 XT (216 core) @ 690/1425/1125
Zalman CNPS9900-LED

Photoshop CS4 Extended 64bit blazes by.

Ryu1999

VictimOfGrief said:
Uhh--- boy--- if you plan on OC'ing your proc, I would've gotten at least a 550W PSU.... looks great though.

Already running it at 3.5 with no problem. I think trying to get it to 4ghz would require an aftermarket cooler, but I think its already plenty fast and I'm trying to save some money :)

nib95 said:
Just bought a batch of new parts! Runs like a dream.

Vista 64 Home Premium
Intel i7 920 (OC'd to 3.6ghz @1.25v)
Asus PT6 Deluxe
OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333mhz (7-7-7-20) 3 x 2GB ram

XFX GTX 260 XT (216 core) @ 690/1425/1125
Zalman CNPS9900-LED

Photoshop CS4 Extended 64bit blazes by

Ha, I'm not surprised with that processor and RAM setup, it must be as smooth as butter. Congratulations on the OC, really shows just what a waste of money the 940 is.

Crazymoogle said:
It's a great card. I'm running mine in Windows 7, and aside from the driver install issue - for some reason the EVGA type isn't recognized by Windows, you just need to grab the Vista 64 package from Nvidia, which includes W7 drivers - it's great. CUDA average encode speed for 720x480 is 160fps with Badaboom, roughly. :lol

Yeah I was only going to use the latest off Nvidia's website anyways. ;)

Hazaro said:
Will do. Everything I have read about it lends me to believe it's going to be great. :D

oh and...
brain_stew said:
Ha, I'm not surprised with that processor and RAM setup, it must be as smooth as butter. Congratulations on the OC, really shows just what a waste of money the 940 & 965 are.

Now that we know that the QPI isn't locked, the 940 and 965 are really pointless.

nib95

Banned
brain_stew said:
Ha, I'm not surprised with that processor and RAM setup, it must be as smooth as butter. Congratulations on the OC, really shows just what a waste of money the 940 is.

Tbh, I was able to hit 3.7ghz/3.8ghz with a 1.3v core, but temps were a little beyond my liking, and I like to keep hyper threading on (great for some of my apps, but bad for heat). With my current OC, my load temp stays at around 70 degree's (with HT enabled), and I'm pleased with that. At 3.8ghz it starts to go closer towards the mid to high 70's territory, which I'm not perfectly content with for everyday use.

Honestly though, I only bought the Zalman because it only just (around 1-2mm to spare) fit in my case. Otherwise I would have gone for a Coolermaster V8 or Noctua. I reckon I could have settled for a comfortable 3.8ghz for everyday use then. Since my chip seems to be fairly easy going on the voltages.

Zyzyxxz

brain_stew said:
Yup, there's many situations that were just begging for this card. The 4670 was the previous best aternative but this is a very significant increase in performance and its 2D power draw should be even less than that of the 4670. My only concern would be that such a tiny fan may be a recipe for a noisy card, but hopefully that's not the case.

Just replace the heatsink with an Accelero S1/S2 and go fanless or silent 120mm and that should be good nuff.

Google

Right I need help guys.

I just tried to set up my first build. I followed a number of tutorials as well as following the instructions, and thought I'd got it set up properly.

I hadnt.

I was seeing the green power button LED on the motherboard, but nothing else was happening.

I removed everything bar one stick of RAM, the CPU and the PSU, and tried again, and still no luck.

I still see the green LED, and try to start it by pressing that - but no luck.

I'm going to complete take everything apart tomorrow, as I'm too tired to do anymore right now, but is there anything stupid I might be missing, or should try?

As far as I'm aware, all of the power cables are plugged into the right places (and I've tried swapping them around)...

So yeah...I'm at a loss.

Google said:
Right I need help guys.

I just tried to set up my first build. I followed a number of tutorials as well as following the instructions, and thought I'd got it set up properly.

I hadnt.

I was seeing the green power button LED on the motherboard, but nothing else was happening.

I removed everything bar one stick of RAM, the CPU and the PSU, and tried again, and still no luck.

I'm going to complete take everything apart tomorrow, as I'm too tired to do anymore right now, but is there anything stupid I might be missing, or should try?

As far as I'm aware, all of the power cables are plugged into the right places (and I've tried swapping them around)...

So yeah...I'm at a loss.
Is the atx12v cable pluged in/in properly?
I had thew same issue with my 1st build a few weeks ago.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I was just checking speedfan and it says my gaphic cards are running at 60-65C? is that... an acceptable temperature? should it be lower?

Most modern GPUs can operate at around 100C just fine. Those temps are perfectly fine.

Cheeto

Google said:
Right I need help guys.

I hadnt.

So yeah...I'm at a loss.
Double check the switch cable.

Drek

Anyone got a good reference for checking CPU compatibility with existing OEM desktops?

I ask because I'm looking to upgrade my Gateway DX420X. Its currently got an E6300 Core 2 Duo (Socket 775, 65nm, 1.86ghz). Can I upgrade to a Wolfdale series 45nm chip since its the same socket size and FSB (1066mhz)? Or is that a no go?

The wolfdales are nice and cheap so I'd prefer to just get a Core2duo in the 2.6 to 3.0 ghz range, if not I'm probably going to get a Q6600 quad core C2D at 2.4ghz because I'm pretty sure thats compatible.

vertopci

Drek said:
Anyone got a good reference for checking CPU compatibility with existing OEM desktops?

I ask because I'm looking to upgrade my Gateway DX420X. Its currently got an E6300 Core 2 Duo (Socket 775, 65nm, 1.86ghz). Can I upgrade to a Wolfdale series 45nm chip since its the same socket size and FSB (1066mhz)? Or is that a no go?

The wolfdales are nice and cheap so I'd prefer to just get a Core2duo in the 2.6 to 3.0 ghz range, if not I'm probably going to get a Q6600 quad core C2D at 2.4ghz because I'm pretty sure thats compatible.

You'll have to go the desktop manufacturers website, find your computer on there, find the specs for it, find which motherboard it has, then go find the compatibility list for that motherboard. Only way to be 100% sure what will work and what won't.

Google

CurlySaysX said:
Is the atx12v cable pluged in/in properly?
I had thew same issue with my 1st build a few weeks ago.

I believe so.

It's clicked into the right 'port'(?), and as mentioned, I get the green LED to light up.

garath

Hazaro said:

I have the RatPadz from Hardocp. It is pretty good. I used it for about a year. Later I went on to purchase a Func 1030 and holy crap. It's the best mousepad I've ever used. I don't think I will ever give it up. The size is perfect, the smooth side provides excellent tracking without gliding too quick. It's reversible and the wire clip is invaluable.

http://www.func.net/products/archetype/index.html

Honestly both pads are great but I prefer the Func pad hands down.

kuYuri

Myself and a friend just bought new cards that are HDCP compatible. We want to connect our desktops to monitors via HDMI, but the cards don't have HDMI on them. What's that one DVI/HDMI converter that I need to do this? I know monoprice has them, but I'm not sure which one I need.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419

Also, my friend wants to hook up his PS3 to the monitor and I believe one of these converters is necessary. Help?

YagizY

Can someone please help me!

I had to do a fresh install of XP because my computer was acting really weird. It the CPU usage was bouncing around like crazy and despite doing a registry clean up, a virus scan, and a spyware scan nothing worked.

So about a couple hours after I install XP again I begin getting the same thing. I don't get it. It's a fresh install! It the same install I used on another computer and it works fine. In fact, after I installed it on the my current computer it worked fine until a couple hours and I all of a sudden noticed a significant slow down.

It takes forever for something to come up when you click on it and it also takes forever to install new programs. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? I've used system restore and no such luck. Can it be due to a faulty part in my computer?

garath said:
I have the RatPadz from Hardocp. It is pretty good. I used it for about a year. Later I went on to purchase a Func 1030 and holy crap. It's the best mousepad I've ever used. I don't think I will ever give it up. The size is perfect, the smooth side provides excellent tracking without gliding too quick. It's reversible and the wire clip is invaluable.

http://www.func.net/products/archetype/index.html

Honestly both pads are great but I prefer the Func pad hands down.

You have the GS or XT pad?

garath

VictimOfGrief said:
You have the GS or XT pad?

The GS. I don't even think they had the XT when I bought the GS.

It's definitely a good mousepad. Huge surface area and lighting fast tracking with the hard plastic shell, I just prefer the Func when put head to head.

Chairhome

Strider2K99 said:
Myself and a friend just bought new cards that are HDCP compatible. We want to connect our desktops to monitors via HDMI, but the cards don't have HDMI on them. What's that one DVI/HDMI converter that I need to do this? I know monoprice has them, but I'm not sure which one I need.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419

Also, my friend wants to hook up his PS3 to the monitor and I believe one of these converters is necessary. Help?

I'm pretty sure you want this one, but its on backorder on that site.

Also, for the PS3 question, if the monitor already has an HDMI input, you don't need a converter, you hook an HDMI cable directly from the PS3 to the monitor.

----------------------

Question: Does anyone have any experience with an "WHEA" error? I seem to be having hardware failures that restart/freeze my computer during bootup (it gets past log-in, but freezes/resets shortly after startup). It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often. I installed the "Who crashed?" application and it just says that it was a WHEA Hardware failure.

I've recently upgraded my Video Card and PSU, so I'm not sure what else it could be. Bad RAM? Bad motherboard?

kuYuri

Chairhome said:
I'm pretty sure you want this one, but its on backorder on that site.

Also, for the PS3 question, if the monitor already has an HDMI input, you don't need a converter, you hook an HDMI cable directly from the PS3 to the monitor.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Fredescu

YagizY said:
Can someone please help me!

I had to do a fresh install of XP because my computer was acting really weird. It the CPU usage was bouncing around like crazy and despite doing a registry clean up, a virus scan, and a spyware scan nothing worked.

So about a couple hours after I install XP again I begin getting the same thing. I don't get it. It's a fresh install! It the same install I used on another computer and it works fine. In fact, after I installed it on the my current computer it worked fine until a couple hours and I all of a sudden noticed a significant slow down.

It takes forever for something to come up when you click on it and it also takes forever to install new programs. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? I've used system restore and no such luck. Can it be due to a faulty part in my computer?
What process was using all the CPU? Check in task manager. Does it do it in safe mode? How clean was your clean install?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
a Mouse pad really makesa difference? do tell.

edit: is there a device or program that can tell me how many Amps my PSU is throwing out?

Yes--- oddly enough the reason I invested in buying one is I noticed my desk surface was wearing and my mice was getting some real nasty crap on the bottom of it. The Ratpadz XT has one of the slickest surfaces for gaming and use so I'm looking forward to it.

I tested out my new MS Sidewinder in TF2 today and can switch between 800 DPI and 2000 DPI when sniping in TF2 and it makes a WORLD of difference. :D Such a good purchase.

garath said:
The GS. I don't even think they had the XT when I bought the GS.

It's definitely a good mousepad. Huge surface area and lighting fast tracking with the hard plastic shell, I just prefer the Func when put head to head.
Yeah I think the XT is pretty recent. Either way it sounds brilliant and that Func pad looks great as well.

VictimOfGrief said:
Yes--- oddly enough the reason I invested in buying one is I noticed my desk surface was wearing and my mice was getting some real nasty crap on the bottom of it. The Ratpadz XT has one of the slickest surfaces for gaming and use so I'm looking forward to it.
I tested out my new MS Sidewinder in TF2 today and can switch between 800 DPI and 2000 DPI when sniping in TF2 and it makes a WORLD of difference. :D Such a good purchase.

Yeah I think the XT is pretty recent. Either way it sounds brilliant and that Func pad looks great as well.

how much is it then?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
VictimOfGrief said:
Incorrect. Ati has been pushing for the price to be lowered, but the AIB partners dont want to lower the price because it would totally rape the Nvidia offerings, and they need to get rid of their Nvidia stock. Why videocards arent so cheap yet, blame Nvidia.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14527

evil solrac v3.0 said:
how much is it then?
$19.99 shipped with priority USPS. :D Just follow the click through on my link.

Also....
godhandiscen said:
Incorrect. Ati has been pushing for the price to be lowered, but the AIB partners dont want to lower the price because it would totally rape the Nvidia offerings, and they need to get rid of their Nvidia stock. Why videocards arent so cheap yet, blame Nvidia.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14527

I stand corrected. Oh well.... price wars just delayed then.

BTW--- 285 is in. :D it's wonderfffffffffffffffffuulllll! :D

Top Bottom