• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zbarron said:
I just got my new build today.
i7 920 @ stock 2.66Ghz with stock cooler

On a somewhat related note I was disappointed to see the negligible difference in PCSX2 emulation speed.
2.66 is still 2.66 in my eyes. ;)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Urge to build a new rig...rising....rising!

How bad, I told myself I would just get an iMac (24") if I were to get a whole new computer because of the space/footprint it takes up (which is getting more important to me as I get older) but here I am, my PC blood boiling at the thought of a new rig (and pass my current one to my g/f).

_Angelus_

Banned
Ahh man... Victim of Grief got banned? Well if you're reading this many thanks for answering my questions ,hope you make it back soon. Just measured my case and yes it'll fit the card,again thanks for the info. Also - my power supply is a 550W Corsair power supply that I bought a few weeks back so I'm ok in that area.

I have one more question,please someone answer it if you can.
My manual says I have two 6 pin PCI-E connectors on the power supply.

1 is 6,the other is PCI-E+2. Ok, am I correct in assuming that the one with 8 can still be used as a basic 6 pin connector? I can maybe snap them off,turning it into a 6 pin PCI-E?

Angelus said:
I have one more question,please someone answer it if you can.
My manual says I have two 6 pin PCI-E connectors on the power supply.

1 is 6,the other is PCI-E+2. Ok, am I correct in assuming that the one with 8 can still be used as a basic 6 pin connector? I can maybe snap them off,turning it into a 6 pin PCI-E?

It's a 6 pin +2 right? Then yeah, just ignore the extra two pins - let em float - because it's a 6 pin connector for your purposes. It seems that a variety of PSUs these days ship with cables or adapters for 6+2 in case you need the flexibility of going 8-pin or 6-pin. I really don't recommend altering the cables otherwise...

(sometimes video cards may come with an 8-6 converter too, guess it depends on your situation.)

_Angelus_

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
It's a 6 pin +2 right? Then yeah, just ignore the extra two pins - let em float - because it's a 6 pin connector for your purposes. It seems that a variety of PSUs these days ship with cables or adapters for 6+2 in case you need the flexibility of going 8-pin or 6-pin. I really don't recommend altering the cables otherwise...

(sometimes video cards may come with an 8-6 converter too, guess it depends on your situation.)

Yeah its 6pin+2,sorry I didn't make that clear. I'll just skip the last two pins,leave them be. Thanks for the help. :D

Angelus said:
Ahh man... Victim of Grief got banned? Well if you're reading this many thanks for answering my questions ,hope you make it back soon.

vadergifnoo!!

Man I haven battling this damn processor for a day now I can't get a decent stable clock under OCCT =/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
iam.rass said:
hey guys, really hoping someone can help me out with this:

If the biggest notable difference between 2 laptops from competing brands is the graphics card, which of these cards is better:

nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 512mb
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512mb

fwiw: the nVidia is in a HP Pavilion dv5-1222TX
and the ATI is in a DELL Studio 15

Cheers for any insight
The 4750 will outperform the 9200M by a wide margin. You have essentially twice as many shaders, newer technology, and better features. 9200M GS is bottom of the barrel. Definitely roll with the ATi on this one. May I ask your budget?

iam.rass said:

If the biggest notable difference between 2 laptops from competing brands is the graphics card, which of these cards is better:

Cheers for any insight
I'm not familiar with either, but based on the 3DMark score at Notebookcheck.net, it looks like the 4570 is about twice as powerful.

Decado

I'm thinking about upgrading. Maybe just the video card. Given my current rig, would it be worthwhile (BTW, my CPU is overclocked...but I'm not sure if the listed speed is correct)? Adding in another internal HD is something else I'm planning to do (I'm constantly running out of HD space).

Core2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 2MB Retail
Sapphire Radeon X1950 XT 625MHZ PCI-E 256MB GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out VIVO OEM Video Card
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio Motherboard
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS
OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
Soundblaster Sound Card of Some Description

kuYuri

Ok, so I'm having an issue, maybe some people know about it.

I got a DVI-HDMI adapter to connect my monitor to my PC via HDMI. I have both Vista and XP on this PC.

For some reason on XP via HDMI, I get underscan... the picture, even at 1920x1080, won't fit on my monitor and I get black borders. So I go into Catalyst Control Center and see an overscan setting. It was at 5% or something, so I set it to 0% and finally the picture fits to the monitor specs, no black borders. However, when I launch into specific games (in this case, I tested GTAIII, yes III, on Steam), I get the black borders again. But I quit back to desktop and it's back to normal again. I also tried Left 4 Dead and I didn't get the black borders after setting overscan to 0%. It seems that the overscan of 0% setting doesn't apply to everything.

The underscan problem isn't present at all on Vista.

I'm up to date on the Catalyst drivers and all of that. The problem could be with the video card itself or maybe the drivers. Any ideas?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Strider2K99 said:
I got a DVI-HDMI adapter to connect my monitor to my PC via HDMI. I have both Vista and XP on this PC.

For some reason on XP via HDMI, I get underscan... the picture, even at 1920x1080, won't fit on my monitor and I get black borders.
It sounds like a 1080p option, or monitor option is enabled to me.

Try setting your monitor settings manually and that it's just using HDMI as a video source and not as some HDTV picutre.
Decado said:
I'm thinking about upgrading. Maybe just the video card. Given my current rig, would it be worthwhile (BTW, my CPU is overclocked...but I'm not sure if the listed speed is correct)? Adding in another internal HD is something else I'm planning to do (I'm constantly running out of HD space).

Core2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 2MB Retail
Your rig is a lot like my old one :)

If your CPU is around 3Ghz I would not worry about anything.
Pick up another 2GB for $25 or so and get a new video card if you desire one.

Everything else is just fine.

I'm running a 2 year old 965 board (P5B) here myself.
MWS Natural said:
vadergifnoo!!

Man I haven battling this damn processor for a day now I can't get a decent stable clock under OCCT =/
Set a voltage you get good temps with and see what you can pull off.
If your RAM is fast enough try a lower multiplier and a higher FSB.

What are you currently trying?
zbarron said:
Yeah. Unfortunately PCSX2 basically agrees with you.

I am clocked at 3.2 right now.
Better :D

iam.rass said:

Cheers for any insight

The 4570 will be considerably faster and is not such a bad part for a laptop either. The 9200M is usually an integrated part, and not even Nvdiia's highest end integrated part at that.

Darklord said:
Are MSI cards really that bad? I was planning on getting an MSI GTX260 but someone told me they break a LOT. Is that true?

Most GPUs are built in the same factory if they follow the reference design. So there's nothing to worry about, I assume you're looking at the GTX 260 on Newegg for $160? If so, that's a reference design which means the only difference between it and other reference GTX 260s is the bundle, warranty, sticker and factory OC. So yeah, they're fine and ridiculous value at that.

Tideas

Banned
Darklord said:
Are MSI cards really that bad? I was planning on getting an MSI GTX260 but someone told me they break a LOT. Is that true?

it comes with a 3 year warranty doesn't it? After 3 years, it's outdated by then anyway.

I mean, remember this time 3 years ago, the 7600gt was the shiet!

kuYuri

Hazaro said:
It sounds like a 1080p option, or monitor option is enabled to me.

Try setting your monitor settings manually and that it's just using HDMI as a video source and not as some HDTV picutre.

Not quite sure what you mean and it sounds vague. I've messed around with my monitor already and I couldn't find any settings that would fix the underscan.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Darklord said:
All the cards are the same except for stickers and custom coolers.

The only thing that differs is warranty.
Strider2K99 said:
Not quite sure what you mean and it sounds vague. I've messed around with my monitor already and I couldn't find any settings that would fix the underscan.
I was just suggesting that it might be outputting in some sort of HDTV mode.
If you are in game and use your monitor auto-image adjust does that fix it?

kuYuri

Hazaro said:
I was just suggesting that it might be outputting in some sort of HDTV mode.
If you are in game and use your monitor auto-image adjust does that fix it?

I'm pretty sure I did press the auto button, but I can't remember right now. Will try again later on.

Jason

What would be my best options for a cheap, small and quiet media pc? The Nvidia Ion has piqued my interest but I was wondering if a Shuttle/Dual Core route would be better.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
evil solrac v3.0 said:
dumb move victim_of_grief, don't go into political threads. if you don't like something IRL then don't take your frustrations out on the forum.
Aww. :'(

We still have Hazaro and the rest of the guys though. I just hope it is not permanent. We already lost Kosma (last year's thread creator) this way.

rass

thanks for the laptop card info guys - we just checked out the hp instore and the girlfriend didn't like the trackpad, so she won't go near it. I think my MBP trackpad spoiled her haha - looks like the DELL is a winner!

Jason said:
What would be my best options for a cheap, small and quiet media pc? The Nvidia Ion has piqued my interest but I was wondering if a Shuttle/Dual Core route would be better.

Well the major problem with the Ion as I see it is that if your codec does not support DVXA (a.k.a decoding on the GPU) that your restricted to Pentium 3 levels of decoding performance, which is no use for any sort of HD video. Thankfully the 9400m in conjunction with something like MPC - HC can decode most of the major HD codecs just fine (so long as you configure it correctly of course) but that does not equal the blanket HD decoding support of something like a Core 2 Duo. Of course a quick re-encoding should sort out most of your problems (and if you use Badaboom, the 9400m will do that for you and much quicker than the Atom ever could) but its something to bear in mind anyway.

The Ion IS a very interesting platform, have a tny little cheap box like that hooked up to your HDTV for HD video and HD classic gaming (provided by gog.com :D ) is a pretty damn alluring concept if they can nail the pricing.

godhandiscen

Pics of my build:

100_1970.jpg

The ASUS Rampage II Extreme along with the TRUE 120 and 2 fans.

100_1972.jpg

My Corsair PSU along with the PC-X500 case.

100_1976.jpg

The mobo inside the case along with the GTX295 and an extra GPU cooler installed.

100_1978.jpg

The case under my desk.

100_1977.jpg

My desk along with my monitors.

I think I've got my final settled GTX 260 clocks now. Going with:

Core: 702mhz
Shaders:: 1404mhz
Memory: 1268mhz

My Vantage GPU score is 10868 with them, which is very, very nice indeed.

Been playing quite a bit of Mirror's Edge and its a really stunning game on this card, the PhysX effects are a nice bonus as well.

godhandiscen

Tideas said:
that's pretty neat compard to my workstation
I still think my cable management is sucky compared to some pros I've seen at [H]. Cable management is free and can make a difference in temperature.

godhandiscen said:
I still think my cable management is sucky compared to some pros I've seen at [H]. Cable management is free and can make a difference in temperature.

But is a right pain in the arse to sort out. That's why I love my modular PSU, it has a separate unit that fits in your top 5.25" drive bay and distributes all SATA and IDE power cables from their rather than the PSU. Makes life much simpler. Only cost me £30 second hand as well. Bargain!

enlarged-1.jpg

godhandiscen

brain_stew said:
But is a right pain in the arse to sort out. That's why I love my modular PSU, it has a separate unit that fits in your top 5.25" drive bay and distributes all SATA and IDE power cables from their rather than the PSU. Makes life much simpler. Only cost me £30 second hand as well. Bargain!
DAMN!

Ashhong

just finished overclocking my first PC. took my E7400 to 3.35ghz. i didnt want to overdo it, and i read the ram i have isnt great for overclocking. running like a champ :D

but can someone help me figure out speedfan? i dont know why but i cant set it up right or something, i cant manually change the fans at all.

also, for anybody with ASUS mobos with 4-engine, does ur CPU run at like half speed when idle? CPUZ says my cpu is at like 1900 and it jumps from there to 3300 back and forth. when i use prime it stays at 3300 so i figured i have some kind of energy saving program going on. the only thing is the ASUS 4-engine program is automatically disabled when overclocking, and i cant find anything in the MOBO. any help?

godhandiscen said:

Its the 520W version, I was well pleased with the deal. Apparently Thermaltake hold the patent for a modular design which splits up where the power is distributed from. Which is a shame, because its really quite an ingenious solution and it would be nice to see the like of Corsair and Seasonic produce modular options following the same principles.

It powers my highly OCed GTX 260, 3.5ghz E5200, 6GB RAM (4 DIMMS), DVDRW drive, 3 120mm LED case fans and two Samsung F1 drives just fine. :D

TheFatOne

Ok guys one last thing. I have bought everything I need for my build so far except for the GPU. I was thinking of buying this this I wanted to know if there is a better GPU for that price or if I should just stick with the GPU I linked.

Hazaro said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130464

Better company, different game (CoD: WaW), $5 more

I am not a fan of either game. :lol

Um that's the 192 core version. The MSI has a huge factory OC as well, performance between them two cards is not at all comparable.

Totally Nvdia's fault though, they improved the card but didn't change the name, yet they manage to rename plenty of other cards that are the exact same as their predecessors.

The MSI has a 3 year warranty, which is more than you'd ever want, by the time three years is up the car will be worthless anyway. The only thing missing really is the lack of a stup up plan.

brain_stew said:

enlarged-1.jpg

what's the name of this PSU? how many watts and price? sorry for so many rapid fire questions but i've really been looking for a PSU that's similar.,

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what's the name of this PSU? how many watts and price? sorry for so many rapid fire questions but i've really been looking for a PSU that's similar.,

Its a year or two old and I don't think they sell them anymore which is why I got it so cheap. Its a 520w PSU (with two 15a, 12v rails and two PCIe 6 pin connectors) and yeah, its just about the best design for a PSU in terms of layout I've ever seen. Don't know why they stopped using the design, as it was a great differentiater, perhaps they were too expensive to make?

After looking at your case MWS, a GTX 260 is a definite no go, its far too big.

Edit: Damn apparently my PSU used to retail for $160!! Sure, that's 3 years ago when it launched but either way, it was still a bargain at a mere £30 delivered.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
brain_stew said:
Um that's the 192 core version. The MSI has a huge factory OC as well, performance between them two cards is not at all comparable.

Totally Nvdia's fault though, they improved the card but didn't change the name, yet they manage to rename plenty of other cards that are the exact same as their predecessors.

The MSI has a 3 year warranty, which is more than you'd ever want, by the time three years is up the car will be worthless anyway. The only thing missing really is the lack of a stup up plan.
MSI warranty is a hassle, and other campany's simply will make it almost impossible for you to get another card.

eVGA, XFX, BFG are all good Nvidia companies.

I would personally go for the eVGA card myself which is why I put it there, even though it has less SPUs.

Hazaro said:
MSI warranty is a hassle, and other campany's simply will make it almost impossible for you to get another card.

eVGA, XFX, BFG are all good Nvidia companies.

I would personally go for the eVGA card myself which is why I put it there, even though it has less SPUs.

If you'd rather use one of them companies then this BFG would be my choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143173

They even have their own version of EVGA's step up program now IIRC. Not sure if it applies to this card though.

Regardless, they're all reference designs, so long as the card has a warranty at all, they're legally obliged to fulfill it. I've never been bothered about specific board partners myself though I know some are.

M.Bluth

Hi guys,
Anyone recommend the Samsung T220HD?

My CRT is dying, and I'm looking for a new monitor.
Looking for one with HDMI to hook up my PS3 and my PC to one monitor, and the T220HD seems perfect.

So what do you think?

CoilShot

M.Bluth said:
Hi guys,

Looking for one with HDMI to hook up my PS3 and my PC to one monitor, and the T220HD seems perfect.

So what do you think?

I can't speak about the T220HD(don't have it) but I do have the T220 version of it and love it. I went from a 17" CRT to the 22" t220 Samsung and it was night and day difference for me.

M.Bluth said:
Hi guys,

So what do you think?

If you're hooking it upto your PS3 you want a 16:9 1080p monitor, not a 16:10 monitor.

CoilShot

M.Bluth said:
How is it in the dark?
I practically live in the darkness, so I hope it's not terrible in a dark room.

Its great to me because I almost always use my computer in the morning with my lights off.

brain_stew said:
If you're hooking it upto your PS3 you want a 16:9 1080p monitor, not a 16:10 monitor.

I would recommend this if it's within your budget. Keep in mind though this 22" isn't 1080p it's just short of it. I've heard some people complain with 16:10 monitors because the images stretches a little.

CoilShot said:
Its great to me because I almost always use my computer in the morning with my lights off.

I would recommend this if it's within your budget. Keep in mind though this 22" isn't 1080p it's just short of it. I've heard some people complain with 16:10 monitors because the images stretches a little.

As well they should!

16:9 1080p monitors can be had for less than $200 these days, so if he can afford this Samsung, then yes, he can afford one. Heck, basically the same Samsung monitor but with a 1080p resolution can be had for $170:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001308

Personally I'd recommend a 23" for such a high resolution but 21.5" is fine.

M.Bluth

This reminds me, I believe the Samsung T220HD does have a 16:9 mode which prevents stretching

I did see a couple of 16:9 1080p monitors, but 1080p is too big for the size that I want (22"), and most games on the PS3 doesn't support 1080p anyway
Not to mention that I will lose a lot of precious fps on my pc games if I played them on 1080p, and I'm not a huge fan of scaling, or windowed mode

Top Bottom